• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread

Seik

Banned
Currently testing Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai.

It runs perfectly, 60 FPS and no glitch at all, feels good. I prefer it to Budokai 3, but I actually never tried Another Road, I'll grab it soon.

screen00017n1sxx.jpg
screen000087asd5.jpg

screen00019kzsgx.jpg
screen00021b4s00.jpg

Can I use a gamepad if I am playing this on my PC?

Yes. XInput or Dinput controllers are supported.

Problem is that for the time being, DInput controllers won't have mapping abilities until a certain pull request is merged into the main build.

XInput controllers like the original 360 controller are fully supported.

solid mike

Been playing BlazBlue Continuum Shift II on my Android. The performance is 8/10, occasionally lags when some flashy combo is done.

I thank Henrik for making this emulator since I can import the UMDs I bought for my busted PSP 2000 into ISOs.

Yes. XInput or Dinput controllers are supported.

Problem is that for the time being, DInput controllers won't have mapping abilities until a certain pull request is merged into the main build.

XInput controllers like the original 360 controller are fully supported.

Sweet thanks, it was as easy as turning on my controller lol.

I really wish this could run on my Vita, I'd love to emulate some PSP games that I can't download(I'm looking at you, Kingdom Hearts).

As of ppsspp-v0.8.1-428-g3281aa5-windows on the build bot, most of the control issues in Windows at least have been ironed out.

Touch controls should also be rectified.

DInput controllers are now fully supported again, and can be virtually rebinded as and how you please, using the UI:-

As an added bonus, PNG screenshot support has now been added into PPSSPP for discerning gaffers who can't bear to look at horribly compressed JPG images.

To activate it, ensure that the ScreenshotsAsPNG entry is set to True in the ini file.

(Which it should be, by default)

oldmario

would there be a possibility of HD texture packs in the future via the emulator? i know it wasn't possible with ps1 because of the way the games were set out or something related to the console

Is Crisis Core working for this emulator yet? I knew there were some issues with it.

It is. Highly playable, with working BGM and FMV cutscenes.

Just stick to an older build (e.g. 0.8.1-399) because Zack's shadows are seriously messed up since 0.8.1-401.

would there be a possibility of HD texture packs in the future via the emulator? i know it wasn't possible with ps1 because of the way the games were set out or something related to the console

Definitely. Quite far off though.

It's finally happened.

All the PSP Monhun games (Freedom, 2, Unite (2G), and Portable 3rd HD) now have PERFECT audio on PPSSPP as of v0.8.1-441-gb24ac21. (As perfect as it can get on our current audio solution at the moment, anyway)

SE Timing is perfect now.

Get the latest build here for that superior Monhun experience on your preferred device.

http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

Please be excited.

Also note that other games which had prior SE issues like Gundam V Gundam Next Plus, Megaman X and others may also be fixed.

~~Hasan~~

does anyone know how good does this run on HTC one or Samsung GS4 OCta processor / quad processor ?

because i tried D:Final Fantasy on both Xperia Z and Nexus 4 and it was bad in both frames and Audo skipping

Seik

Banned
It's finally happened.

All the PSP Monhun games (Freedom, 2, Unite (2G), and Portable 3rd HD) now have PERFECT audio on PPSSPP as of v0.8.1-441-gb24ac21. (As perfect as it can get on our current audio solution at the moment, anyway)

SE Timing is perfect now.

Get the latest build here for that superior Monhun experience on your preferred device.

http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

Please be excited.

Also note that other games which had prior SE issues like Gundam V Gundam Next Plus, Megaman X and others may also be fixed.

Welp, that didn't take long.

does anyone know how good does this run on HTC one or Samsung GS4 OCta processor / quad processor ?

because i tried D:Final Fantasy on both Xperia Z and Nexus 4 and it was bad in both frames and Audo skipping

Unless you have a controller, Dissidia is completely unplayable with touchscreen controls. Haven't tried it on my Note II but wouldn't bother. It hurts to even imagine controlling it.

~~Hasan~~

Unless you have a controller, Dissidia is completely unplayable with touchscreen controls. Haven't tried it on my Note II but wouldn't bother. It hurts to even imagine controlling it.

i didn't reach the stage of controlling. i was just testing it and it ran badly, not sure if it was a hardware problem not strong enough or software related issue.

I've made a small list a while ago of working and non-working games that just popped up in my head just in case somebody wants to know without searching the games I tested.

http://i3.minus.com/iYuAjJ3PYrdWa.png

Great list which only requires 2 adjustments in light of recent developments:-

Megaman Maverick Hunter X - has SFX now
Gundam V Gundam Next Plus - has SFX now

The rest are still pretty much the same.

i didn't reach the stage of controlling. i was just testing it and it ran badly, not sure if it was a hardware problem not strong enough or software related issue.

Gaming on Android devices pretty much requires some level of frameskipping for a few games at this point.

That or you have to tinker abit with the PSP CPU speed hack (Unlock CPU Clock) in the Settings --> System menu. Many other Android users have discovered better performance can be attained if they downclock the PSP CPU Speed from the default 222 MHz to something lower.

YMMV of course.

FourMyle

Wow this team is amazing. They have made crazy progress in just the last 6 months. That MH3rd HD hack is freaking cool.

Im_Special

Fuck yes, the time has come to keep playing mhfu then.

PS: Dissidia runs perfect and looks great since the last time I tested it:

Perfect? It still has that terrible blackscreening shit that happens during cutscenes and other minor graphical glitches in some stages, unless this was remedied literally just now or something.

Arukado

By perfect i mean that the fights run fine, with certain graphical glitches that dissapear if you uncheck and check the buffered rendering option. I didn't test the cutscenes, to be honest, only quick battle.

iavi

This emulator is progressing at a lighting pace. Holy hell. So many games run perfectly now, when they didn't even just a couple weeks ago.

By perfect i mean that the fights run fine, with certain graphical glitches that dissapear if you uncheck and check the buffered rendering option. I didn't test the cutscenes, to be honest, only quick battle.

This is a correct observation.

In game (the real time ones) cutscenes are still rather problematic, with random black screening at times.

Is there any way to do SSAA 4x?

Not at the moment.

However, if you're using a NVIDIA card you can actually force up to 16x or even 32x CSAA (whatever you like) from your NVIDIA control panel. (This also works on AMD cards, up to around 8x MSAA)

Do note that this will only work if Buffered Rendering is OFF, which may break quite a number of games.

I can't get music to work when trying to play Birth by Sleep (vanilla).

Have you already downloaded the appropriate at3plusdecoder.dll file for your build and ensured it's present in the directory?
(at3plusdecoder.dll for 32bit and at3plusdecoder64.dll for 64 bit builds)

iUQLVmpdWhdEo.JPG

The option should be on the main screen when you run PPSSPP for the first time:-

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity, why can't the audio plugin be distributed with the emulator? I can understand things like a bios or the LLE audio file for Dolphin, but what's holding them back here when it can seemingly be legally distributed?

mothball

Might it be possible to get games to run at higher framerates with PPSSPP? I know for Project 64, there's a setting called "counter factor" that can be messed with to get Goldeneye and Perfect Dark to run at 60 FPS, and there are PCSX2 hacks for Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 involving doubling the emulator speed and editing a memory address to get the game to run at half speed, making it otherwise normally but at 60 FPS.

Might it be possible to get games to run at higher framerates with PPSSPP? I know for Project 64, there's a setting called "counter factor" that can be messed with to get Goldeneye and Perfect Dark to run at 60 FPS, and there are PCSX2 hacks for Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 involving doubling the emulator speed and editing a memory address to get the game to run at half speed, making it otherwise normally but at 60 FPS.

Probably, but using the CWCheat Engine. Currently on a game by game basis.

For example, there is a code you can apply to make KH BBS FM run at 60 FPS internally. (It runs at 30 internal FPS by default). The requirements will basically double if you do that though.

Many users of lower end Android devices actually slightly lower the internal FPS for Speed gains by lowering the emulated PSP CPU frequency, using the Unlock CPU Speed function in the emulator itself, from the default 222 MHZ to 111MHz to even lower.

Out of curiosity, why can't the audio plugin be distributed with the emulator? I can understand things like a bios or the LLE audio file for Dolphin, but what's holding them back here when it can seemingly be legally distributed?

Apparently the code has some (in ector's words) "dubious origins" so the choice is given to the end user to use it or not. I personally haven't seen any problems with it myself.

mothball

Wow, that KH cheat is really interesting. After watching it work in the disassembler I understand what it does, but not why the framerate is based on that. And the SCE function that seems to use it isn't even imported in the two other games I checked. Guess I'll have to ask that guy how he found that section of code.

Truespeed

It's not a clean room implementation. It's believed the original code was decompiled and used as a source and because of this it can't be included with the licence ppsspp operates under.

Currently testing Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai.

It runs perfectly, 60 FPS and no glitch at all, feels good. I prefer it to Budokai 3, but I actually never tried Another Road, I'll grab it soon.
This makes me so goddamn happy. This shit will be off the hook if/when this emulator has LAN play.

Also, Another Road rules the school, FYI. Best DBZ game ever.

oldmario

anyone know why the keyboard displays like this in 0.8.1-502, haven't downloaded a new build for probably 300ish builds

could be my resolution but when i fullscreen it the keys are still messed up

anyone know why the keyboard displays like this in 0.8.1-502, haven't downloaded a new build for probably 300ish builds

could be my resolution but when i fullscreen it the keys are still messed up

That's the new virtual mapping system implemented recently.

You can pretty much map any key to any function now. It's fully functional.

It's just a bit messy at the moment, it's a unified interface on all devices.

It also looks that way on my system too.

New UI should clean it up prior to 0.9.

Gvaz

Banned
I get some sort of memory leak with ppsspp 64 bit, it just keeps exponentially increasing the ram usage :|

I get some sort of memory leak with ppsspp 64 bit, it just keeps exponentially increasing the ram usage :|

We could do with some details.

1. What's the build you're using?

2. What game were your running when it happened? Does it occur in all games emulated?

3. Some system specifications (CPU, Graphics Card, OS etc) would be nice. If you have an AMD card, I know exactly where to go from here after your next reply.

Thanks in advance.

Gvaz

Banned
We could do with some details.

1. What's the build you're using?

2. What game were your running when it happened? Does it occur in all games emulated?

3. Some system specifications (CPU, Graphics Card, OS etc) would be nice. If you have an AMD card, I know exactly where to go from here after your next reply.

Thanks in advance.

I have an HD4890, yes.

Edit it's not that it crashes, it's that if I look at PE i see an literal exponential graph change until it hits the limit of my ram and the whole system just freaks. With the 32 bit, it just reaches almost 4 then the program itself crashes.

I have an HD4890, yes.

Edit it's not that it crashes, it's that if I look at PE i see an literal exponential graph change until it hits the limit of my ram and the whole system just freaks. With the 32 bit, it just reaches almost 4 then the program itself crashes.

One more thing before the definitive answer, what drivers are you on right now?

EDIT:- Scratch that. You can do this right away. Turn off Advanced Catalyst A.I in your CCC. The problem should go away then. This is a common problem for AMD cards and PPSSPP when Catalyst A.I is ON.

Sajjaja

New announcement today regarding 0.9 and Ouya support.

For those of you who wanted to donate but did not have an Android device, you can now buy PPSSPP for Windows here: Buy Gold. This also marks the launch of PPSSPP Central where we will later add a compatibility database, screenshot uploads and more in the future - right now all you can do is download the Gold version though.

As for 0.9 plans, you can look forward to a new UI with great gamepad support throughout, and an official Ouya version. In addition, there will be the usual bunch of compatibility fixes, and hopefully we'll be able to squeeze in a few speed improvements, too.

Yasae

Banned
OMG Sajjaja made this thread. Subscribed. I need to try out Crisis Core.

I render work at 512 sinc btw. Da big time.

Seik

Banned
I don't mind making a donation. Heck, 2-4$ is nothing.

Is there any difference with the gold version though?

EDIT: Oh ok

PPSSPP Gold also:

makes you feel good.
has a fancy golden icon you can show off to your friends.
Most importantly, lets me (Henrik) spend more time working on the emulator.

I want to feel good. D:

Top Bottom