• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread

Hello! I recently downloaded PPSSPP and tried Dangan Ronpa in it. For some reason the crosshair will not react to objects at all. So the game is pretty much unplayable. Anyone know a fix?

Hello! I recently downloaded PPSSPP and tried Dangan Ronpa in it. For some reason the crosshair will not react to objects at all. So the game is pretty much unplayable. Anyone know a fix?

1. Head to ppsspp.ini file in the ppsspp folder. (generated after running the emulator at least once and closing it)

2. Open it, and set FramebufferstoMem = True and FramebuffersCPUConvert = True

3. ?????

4. Profit.

(Don't forget to change it back to False for other games. The options are performance draining hacks that are required for only a few games to function properly, like Danganronpa, for example)

1. Head to ppsspp.ini file in the ppsspp folder. (generated after running the emulator at least once and closing it)

2. Open it, and set FramebufferstoMem = True and FramebuffersCPUConvert = True

3. ?????

4. Profit.

(Don't forget to change it back to False for other games. The options are performance draining hacks that are required for only a few games to function properly, like Danganronpa, for example)

Just checked the ini file, I don't see any of those options (running the current build)
Should I just add them in manually?

solid mike

I should have checked the forums at ppsspp.org again to see whether DOA Paradise was compatible before getting it.

This black screen incompatibility is just awful. I hope we get a version that makes it playable.

rjc571

Banned
I'm loving replaying Wipeout Pure and Pulse on this emulator. On the PSP they only ran at 30 fps if you were playing at 222 mhz, and if you ran them at 333 mhz they would try to run at 60 fps but would frequently slow down. But on PPSSPP, they run at 60 (real) fps almost constantly!

Verelios

I usually used my PSP (which I stupidly lost after getting a Vita and neglecting it), to play games so I never trended into these parts.

Rather, I tried to get into the system but kept getting errors (64 bit system), so that discouraged me from trying anymore. Sadly, this also means that either I saddle up and try again, or start looking for my psp. Damn, Dangan Ronpa.

Saterium

Just finished a replay of Crisis Core on PPSSPP.

Wow it's really impressive how well this emulator runs, especially considering how 'early' it is. Crisis Core was nearly flawless except for weird colored shadows and a small handful of cutscenes that had missing textures. Really great overall though - no crashes throughout my 30+ hours.

Auskeek

I just gave it a quick whirl on my 2009 work laptop (integrated graphics, not very impressive at all) and very impressed by how good it runs.

I wasn't able to get the music working, but seems like there is a good work around for this. My PSP is as good as gone now, the buttons are unresponsive, the analogue drifts. I used to have to use RemoteJoy to play with an external pad, but this will make things a bit easier. Looking forward to later releases.

Rashid

Banned
I'm having problems running Crisis Core on my phone, really bad slowdown, usually like 5-10 fps. And this is on an Xperia Z, well up there in the most powerful phone list. Anyone have any tips?

rjc571

Banned
I'm loving replaying Wipeout Pure and Pulse on this emulator. On the PSP they only ran at 30 fps if you were playing at 222 mhz, and if you ran them at 333 mhz they would try to run at 60 fps but would frequently slow down. But on PPSSPP, they run at 60 (real) fps almost constantly!

Well so much for Pulse, I forgot all about the stupid save data corruption bug in that game. Looks like it happens with emulators as well.

I'm having problems running Crisis Core on my phone, really bad slowdown, usually like 5-10 fps. And this is on an Xperia Z, well up there in the most powerful phone list. Anyone have any tips?

Try the following generic guide before you give up.

(Taken from my own AMD guide in the ppsspp.org forums)

Generic non-vendor specific advice to getting the best performance on PPSSPP for your lower end device/machine:-

If you're really desperate for some extra speed (remember, Speed and FPS are 2 different metrics for measurement in PPSSPP), you can do the following:-

1. Turn on Frameskipping and set it 1 or 3 (Odd numbers (1,3,5) work best, Even numbers (2,4,6) cause flickering in games)

2. Turn off Buffered Rendering (May break games that need it. A lot of games don't require it to work. Minor speed boost)

3. Make sure 2xSSAA (speed killer) and any form of Texture Scaling (speed killer and causes hitches on lower end machines when on) is off. Anisotropic Texture filtering, however, is fine and nearly free on any modern PC.

4. Play at only 1x or 2x rendering resolution

5. Use the "Unlock CPU Clock" option in the System Settings menu, and set it to something lower (default:-222MHz), like 111MHz or even 60-80 MHz. People with lower end Android devices have reported some success in gaining more speed with that function. Warning: Lowering the CPU Clock too much will cause unpredictable behaviour within games like SPS and jerkiness. Experiment at your own risk. Also, there is a trade off between increased Speed, as you reduce the frequency, but lower internal FPS. Find a balance you can be comfortable with.

6. Turn off all other background applications while playing games on PPSSPP. (Add exceptions to your virus/malware scanners for this program if you have to)

7. Update your drivers. (this may not always be a good idea since newer AMD drivers have conflicts with the program as reported in the forum)

8. Ensure that Hardware Transform (massive speed boost) and Vertex Cache are ON. (They should be on by default, there are exceptions to this tip, see the Tekken 6 example I mentioned above.)

9. Also ensure that the emulator is running in JIT (Dynarec) mode. (which it should be, by default)

10. Turn on FastMem. (not always recommended since it is quite unstable and can cause crashes.)

11. Turn off Atrac3+ audio (you will not be able to hear most games' BGM or voices, only turn it off if you're desperate for more Speed)

12. Turn off Vsync. (Will cause tearing in the image, but gives a performance boost)

Hope that helps.

There's no Unlock CPU option for my phone...?

Which version are you using? It should be present in the latest Orphis builds if you're on Android. AFAIK it was introduced quite a while ago, post 0.8.1.

It's here:-

i60U3vnJ2PTGU.JPG

Just a minor update.

If you're interested to see the progress made with the New UI implementation that ector/Henrik is cooking up, you can always head to the ppsspp.ini file and add the following line to the end of the [General] section of the file.

Code:
NewUI = True

It's actually controller friendly now (only for XInput controllers at the moment).

They're aiming to get it fully controller operated for big screen support like Steam and on the OUYA also, eventually, by v0.9.

EDIT:- If you wish to revert back to the default UI, just change NewUI back to False.

Which version are you using? It should be present in the latest Orphis builds if you're on Android. AFAIK it was introduced quite a while ago, post 0.8.1.

It's here:-

Nope, nothing. Lots of stuff you mentioned aren't here like aniso. Latest version from the store. v0.8.1-2-g0cfbde7

Unless the Play Store doesn't push an update, or unless this requires rooting.

Nope, nothing. Lots of stuff you mentioned aren't here like aniso. Latest version from the store. v0.8.1-2-g0cfbde7

Lol, not from the store, mate, from the Orphis build bot here:-

http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

ij08HupA9LDap.JPG

The latest dev builds for Android phones and Windows platforms are there. The Play Store builds are official but are outdated, the progress on this emulator is very rapid, there are usually a few builds pushed to this site by the devs every day.

Grab the latest one for your Android phone and you'll find the option there. No rooting required.

Sorry if I wasn't direct enough for you. I assumed you understood what I meant by "Orphis builds".

Thanks! One last thing. I assume that save states also between build, not just between version numbers?

Save states will not work in any other build except for the ones they were created on. That's just the way it is.

E.g. A save state made in 0.8.1-2 will only work in 0.8.1-2 and no where else. One made in 0.8.1-500 will only work in 0.8.1-500 and that's it.

Got to hand it to the developers. They are really making this User friendly and are listening to suggestions the gaming community asks as features for the emulator.

rjc571

Banned
Save states will not work in any other build except for the ones they were created on. That's just the way it is.

E.g. A save state made in 0.8.1-2 will only work in 0.8.1-2 and no where else. One made in 0.8.1-500 will only work in 0.8.1-500 and that's it.

That's really weird. You sure about that? With most emulators save states can be transferred across different builds unless a newer build makes changes in how the save states are read or written. A save state is nothing more than a dump of the system's RAM content.

That's really weird. You sure about that? With most emulators save states can be transferred across different builds unless a newer build makes changes in how the save states are read or written. A save state is nothing more than a dump of the system's RAM content.

That's just how it is with ppsspp.

To be honest, some time ago, it was possible to transfer them between certain builds up to a point, but the devs hardcoded error messages into the emulator not too long ago due to reports of people crashing their own games thanks to rampant save state transferring between radically different builds.

Why don't you give it a shot? :)

You'll most probably get the following error message:-

Followed by this friendly message:-

Excessive reliance on savestates between different builds aren't a good thing either. They may convenient, but may not be suitable as long term saves as compared to traditionally saving your progress the normal way.

Kokonoe

Banned

Dolphin emulator is like this, too. Different .EXEs.

Orayn

Sound in MH? #GameChanger

Also, I'm reading a thread on the PPSSPP forums where the developer of an Xlink-type PSP multiplayer system is talking about possibly implementing his API into the emulator for network play, which sounds incredible.

Thinking about immortal HD online versions of local-only PSP multiplayer games is pretty neato.

Apath

Can I download my PSP games on the media go app and load them onto the emulator, and do I have to torrent them? I've only owned a PSP Go, so every one of my games are digital.

oldmario

Can I download my PSP games on the media go app and load them onto the emulator, and do I have to torrent them? I've only owned a PSP Go, so every one of my games are digital.

just plug it in via usb and copy the files off, that's how i did it for my digital games with the psp 3000

Yet another minor update.

There's been quite a speed boost recently in the emulator thanks to a certain commit that was added in recently by ector for Buffered Rendering modes if games are only running internally at 30 FPS.

Details here.

Grab the latest dev/git build as usual from here.

Anything post 0.8.1-615 will have the speed boost in it. It's quite significant in certain games (provided that you have Buffered Rendering ON and the game is running internally at 30 FPS), so I reckon it's worth upgrading to it.

Especially if you're on a borderline system.

There have also been further changes made to the NewUI, which you can preview for yourself as usual by adding

Code:
NewUI = True

to the bottom part of your [General] section in the ppsspp.ini file.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
This emulator is really fantastic. I love the UI as well.

But I just downloaded/installed the latest version (632) and noticed some issues. For one the sound isn't as clear as in 549 (on Persona 3 and LBP at least) and the intro video in P3 is instead a black screen (although you can get past it).

This emulator is really fantastic. I love the UI as well.

But I just downloaded/installed the latest version (632) and noticed some issues. For one the sound isn't as clear as in 549 (on Persona 3 and LBP at least) and the intro video in P3 is instead a black screen (although you can get past it).

Yeah, 632 has some sound issues due to this recent commit.

You either have to jack up the audio levels for those games (they use Atrac3 audio), or go back to revision v0.8.1-617-g086746e to enjoy the speed benefits.

The intro video for Persona 3 should not be a black screen. I'll look it into shortly, thanks for the feedback.

EDIT:- The cause of the black screen is the same build that also gives the speed boost lol. Use a revision prior to 615 (like v0.8.1-612-gdf89065) for now.

Re: Update to the Persona 3 Portable issue.

It's now been fixed in v0.8.1-637-g444a39f, along with a few other minor issues.

Update accordingly.

I'd been meaning to give Disgea a shot, but previously the only way to do it was via my old ps2 and that didn't sound terribly appealing to me.

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Yep, it should.

Jack it up to a higher level now, it used to be limited to 5/5 for BGM and SE respectively now, if it isn't clear enough for you. The new range is 1-8 now for both sound options.
Fantastic! Thanks for the work. Persona runs pretty much 100% now. At least from what I've played.

Anyone tried God of War yet?

Fantastic! Thanks for the work. Persona runs pretty much 100% now. At least from what I've played.

Anyone tried God of War yet?

Both games used to be and still are system killers to emulate, even for the PC.

You'll need to enable 2 options to make them playable on lower end devices:-

1. Force 60FPS or less in page 3 of the graphics settings menu. This prevents the game from needlessly internally rendering thousands of FPS and reducing the speed of the game (especially the title screens). This option has the highest impact on improving the performance of the GOW games. (Note:- You can also force the game to run at just 30 FPS internally by heading to the ppsspp.ini file and changing the ForceMaxEmulatedFPS entry to 30. It still runs pretty smoothly at 30FPS)

2. Unlock CPU Clock in System Settings. Tick it, and lower it down until you get the speed you desire. You may not have to do this if your device is already sufficiently powerful. Still recommended for mobile Android devices, good values are 60 - 100 MHz.

Top Bottom