• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread

Amici

That sucks...it's alright though I can't believe the PSP emulation is already this advanced. A couple of years ago I thought it was never gonna happen.

Discovered a bug with Patapon 2 though, it's impossible to get on Patagate even on "Play solo" mode because of some WLAN bug :p Hope it gets fixed.

Shouta

I didn't really have a reason to bother trying this until now.

It seems to work nicely for Ao no Kiseki. I may just replay the game using this instead of on my PSP.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Settings menu of ZHP works now on the latest build of v0.8.1-1359-g0d5c666 :D

Happy days! I can probably stream this now.

Edit: Yup it works now!
zxZst8Gl.png

Stuart444

Not updated my build in a while. I see that there is a lot of changes on the build bot that has no download for windows (and some where there is no download for win or android).

Ah well, More people should know of PPSSPP though, considering how far along it is and it's much better than the Java one but some people still think the PSP has no decent emulator because they have only ever heard of/used the java one.

edit: idolm@ster Shiny Festa (honey sound) is a little more broken now on default settings. Freezes when trying to load up any songs in Stage mode.

Amici

Ah well, More people should know of PPSSPP though, considering how far along it is and it's much better than the Java one but some people still think the PSP has no decent emulator because they have only ever heard of/used the java one.

I used to be one of these people. I thought it would take at least another console generation before we see a PSP emulator, much less a full speed one, and on mobiles (!).

Anyone else have recommendations on which PSP games work virtually perfect on PPSSPP?

Stuart444

Okay so I'll post this for anyone wanting to know how im@s shiny festa is doing now... (I spent the last half hour testing this XD)

Idolm@ster Honey sound

Playable

Issues that seem to be fixed from the last time I played:

All in-game text is fixed
Chapter 1 of the anime plays fine
Audio works well enough so the main part of the game is playable.

Issues now with the game:

Chapter 2+ of the anime doesn't play
Some audio issues, not many but some pop-in style audio issues but dealable.
Some text suddenly popped into the text box instead of slowing scrolling on like it usually does (weird way to describe it but whatever.

So yeah, as of v0.8.1-1580-g9f3848b Idolm@ster seems to be fully playable more or less,

Settings: Hardware transform off, Vertex Cache + antialiasing on. (mostly defaults apart from hardware transform)

edit: Some more Japanese text issues in Digimon Adventure/デジモンアドベンチャー

Sometimes it skips an entire dialogue box (and I'm not sure if the audio skips as well or not). Seems to be random but it didn't happen last time I played DA on the PPSSPP emu.

edit: reloaded the same scene and it seems totally random since it didn't happen that time on the same parts

I used to be one of these people. I thought it would take at least another console generation before we see a PSP emulator, much less a full speed one, and on mobiles (!).

Anyone else have recommendations on which PSP games work virtually perfect on PPSSPP?

For the PC at least the following are very playable until the end (using the latest dev buids):-
Code:
Black Rock Shooter
Danganronpa - requires Read Framebuffers to Memory
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Type 0
Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core
Grand Theft Auto:- Liberty City Stories 
Grand Theft Auto:- Vice City Stories 
Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus 
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix
Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky
Monster Hunter 3rd Portable HD
Monster Hunter Freedom   
Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Pangya Fantasy Golf
Patapon
Persona 3 Portable
Project Diva 2nd
Ridge Racer 2
Soul Calibur
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection
Tekken 6
Unchained Blades
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of The Blade
Untold Legends: The Warriors Code
Ys Seven

(Tested Specs:- Core 2 Duo T9550, ATI Radeon 4670)

Also, just a heads up, 0.9 is coming within the next two to three days. So if you want to upgrade and you haven't been trying out the dev builds, just wait for a little bit more.

It's gonna be quite a big one for those that've been sitcking to the official 0.8.1 release. Biggest change has got to be the new, fully controller driven UI. The OldUI has been stripped out of the emulator completely.

Stuart444

New version looks great, gotten some odd crashes though in games that I haven't before, some even crashed the emulator itself (such as hitting new game in OreImo) and Parappa the Rapper gets into the menu screen now before it crashes for me.

Not messed about with the settings too much though so haven't tried to fix any of these myself yet.

New version looks great, gotten some odd crashes though in games that I haven't before, some even crashed the emulator itself (such as hitting new game in OreImo) and Parappa the Rapper gets into the menu screen now before it crashes for me.

Not messed about with the settings too much though so haven't tried to fix any of these myself yet.

If you're getting crashes, make sure none of the following options are enabled:-

1. Multithreaded I/O (I/O on a seperate thread)

2. Multithreaded CPU/GPU

3. Fast Memory.

Try running the afflicted games again after that.

Stuart444

If you're getting crashes, make sure none of the following options are enabled:-

1. Multithreaded I/O (I/O on a seperate thread)

2. Multithreaded CPU/GPU

3. Fast Memory.

Try running the afflicted games again after that.

Pretty sure 2 (and maybe 1?) is running, I'll check tomorrow and see if it fixes the crashes.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I will continue testing Star Ocean every revision till the character sprites actually appear on the map! All my other stuff runs quite nicely though. :D

Impressions using Android (Note 2)

- Faux screen blur is now emulated in P3P. It's the effect that overlays copies of the screen with varying degrees of opacity.
- Far easier way to get atrac3 decoding.
- Much better GUI. Games and homebrew/demos are split.
- VERY significant framerate improvement. Parts in P3P that lag on non buffered dont lag anymore (or very greatly minimized)
- Cant press dpad anymore while dragging the analog. Yes! I asked for this.
- Patapon 2 is actually playable now. In 0.8.1 the input lag was very very bad on touchscreen. It feels very much like the PSP version now.

- Initial lag for P3P is still there. It's when you cast the first Persona in battle.
- No multithread option for Android. :( I assume this still always uses one core?
- Occasional bug in P3P still there. Display sorta loops between a few frames, but the game is still controllable and the audio is still fine. The display just isnt updating properly. Fixable by reloading states like before.

I'm definitely buying Gold now. Will there be issues with saves and savestates since theyre separate apps?

Anyone have descriptions for all the options now?

solid mike

Wow 0.9 fixed a lot of stuff. I can't say I'm a big fan of the new UI but It will probably grow on me. BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend now runs flawlessly but does anyone know if DOA Paradise is now playable?

Wow 0.9 fixed a lot of stuff. I can't say I'm a big fan of the new UI but It will probably grow on me. BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend now runs flawlessly but does anyone know if DOA Paradise is now playable?

It is. But getting there is quite an odessey at the moment:-

1. To even get it to load, you need to enable Multithreaded I/O.

2. But that's not enough. You'll need to have a "special" build of ppsspp though, that you've got to compile yourself, with the following change to line 114 of the sceIo.cpp file located in the ppsspp\Core\HLE\Libraries\ folder (where you downloaded the ppsspp source files):-

from

Code:
const int IO_THREAD_MIN_DATA_SIZE = 256;

to

Code:
const int IO_THREAD_MIN_DATA_SIZE = 0;

3. Once you have that build compiled, run it (ensuring that Multithreaded I/O is enabled), and the game will load just fine, FMVs and all. But once you get ingame (start a vacation), you'll quickly notice the following issues:-

a. The music is horribly stuttery and glitchy. Now granted you can mute it and play your own soundtrack in the background, but it's rather grating on the ears.

b. This may be the biggest dealbreaker for the game. The character models have a "wireframe" like effect on them, which doesn't go away no matter what setting you change. They're still pretty gorgeous (for a PSP game).

c. The internal FPS of the game (remember, don't confuse this with speed), drops at times from it's native 30 to 20, especially when you play the beach volleyball game. Fortunately, this issue can be resolved by using the Change CPU Clock function and setting it to 666 MHz.

d. This one is also another major one. You cannot access the Photo Mode (Precious Memories) at the main menu to look at older photoshots. The game will hang and do nothing, until you reset it or stop it. This is because PPSSPP doesn't have the functionality that the game requires for that option right now. It will probably be implemented later.

Speaking from personal experience, I managed to clear 2 girls' vacations, (Lei Fang and Lisa) without any issues, bearing the above in mind. The ending video played properly. The Private Paradise option also works, so older Venus videos can be seen. Totally worth it viewing DOA in 1080p. It's a pity Tecmo never considered the PC a viable platform for its DOA series, especially with DOA5.

Screenshots here:-

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/3128#issuecomment-22983569

EDIT:- Here's an experimental build I concocted with the change above, this should be good for DOA: Paradise (just unzip it into a working PPSSPP folder, I've only got 64bit builds.)

Wortany

- Patapon 2 is actually playable now. In 0.8.1 the input lag was very very bad on touchscreen. It feels very much like the PSP version now.

These two changes are immense!
Just tried out DJ Max Portable Clazziquai and it is much more playable now.

I'm only lacking an android device that can play it at decent speed so I don't need to frameskip.
Speaking about frameskip, there was a problem in previous builds that broke the FMV's on certain frameskip amounts that seems to be completely fixed now.

The only problem this game still has (luckily not gamebreaking), is that the album section where you could listen to the music without playing doesn't work.

Does 0.9 support Xbox 360 controller for navigating the menu? It's one of the only things making me return to M/KB when in media centre mode.

Currently got the games from this booting via steam which I launch from XBMC I can close steam big picture. I can close steam and go back to XBMC but if I launch a game I need to grab a mouse

solid mike

It is. But getting there is quite an odessey at the moment:-

1. To even get it to load, you need to enable Multithreaded I/O.

2. But that's not enough. You'll need to have a "special" build of ppsspp though, that you've got to compile yourself, with the following change to line 114 of the sceIo.cpp file located in the ppsspp\Core\HLE\Libraries\ folder (where you downloaded the ppsspp source files):-

from

Code:
const int IO_THREAD_MIN_DATA_SIZE = 256;

to

Code:
const int IO_THREAD_MIN_DATA_SIZE = 0;

3. Once you have that build compiled, run it (ensuring that Multithreaded I/O is enabled), and the game will load just fine, FMVs and all. But once you get ingame (start a vacation), you'll quickly notice the following issues:-

a. The music is horribly stuttery and glitchy. Now granted you can mute it and play your own soundtrack in the background, but it's rather grating on the ears.

b. This may be the biggest dealbreaker for the game. The character models have a "wireframe" like effect on them, which doesn't go away no matter what setting you change. They're still pretty gorgeous (for a PSP game).

c. The internal FPS of the game (remember, don't confuse this with speed), drops at times from it's native 30 to 20, especially when you play the beach volleyball game. Fortunately, this issue can be resolved by using the Change CPU Clock function and setting it to 666 MHz.

d. This one is also another major one. You cannot access the Photo Mode (Precious Memories) at the main menu to look at older photoshots. The game will hang and do nothing, until you reset it or stop it. This is because PPSSPP doesn't have the functionality that the game requires for that option right now. It will probably be implemented later.

Speaking from personal experience, I managed to clear 2 girls' vacations, (Lei Fang and Lisa) without any issues, bearing the above in mind. The ending video played properly. The Private Paradise option also works, so older Venus videos can be seen. Totally worth it viewing DOA in 1080p. It's a pity Tecmo never considered the PC a viable platform for its DOA series, especially with DOA5.

Screenshots here:-

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/issues/3128#issuecomment-22983569

EDIT:- Here's an experimental build I concocted with the change above, this should be good for DOA: Paradise (just unzip it into a working PPSSPP folder, I've only got 64bit builds.)

Holy shit, you sure do know your stuff. I'll probably try this out when I get enough time. Are you studying Computer Science or something?

Does 0.9 support Xbox 360 controller for navigating the menu? It's one of the only things making me return to M/KB when in media centre mode.

Yes. The NewUI fully supports the 360 controller. Every single function can be altered and accessed via the 360 pad. Use the dpad to navigate, A to confirm and B to cancel.

Yeah it's there but it's disabled for me. Cant turn it on. Do I need to be rooted?

Hmm. Try grabbing the latest dev builds from the usual Orphis buildbot and try again. It should NOT be disabled if your Android device has a multicore CPU. There was a commit that disabled it on single core devices (since performance is actually reduced if you turn this function on with a single core Android device)

Holy shit, you sure do know your stuff. I'll probably try this out when I get enough time. Are you studying Computer Science or something?

Heh, I'm part of the PPSSPP tester/dev team, I have to know how to compile PPSSPP and all that other stuff that comes with it for diagnosing and resolving issues. Not a Comp Sci major, far from it lol.

If you're ever interested in self compiling PPSSPP, I've written up a very easy to follow guide here for Windows.

Hmm. Try grabbing the latest dev builds from the usual Orphis buildbot and try again. It should NOT be disabled if your Android device has a multicore CPU. There was a commit that disabled it on single core devices (since performance is actually reduced if you turn this function on with a single core Android device)

Got it fixed. Those options are disabled once a game is playing so I just gotta exit first.

I've got a quadcore. Multithreading improves performance a bit, but not super big. I think I'll leave it off until it leaves experimental stage.

Amici

- Faux screen blur is now emulated in P3P. It's the effect that overlays copies of the screen with varying degrees of opacity.
- Far easier way to get atrac3 decoding.
- Much better GUI. Games and homebrew/demos are split.
- VERY significant framerate improvement. Parts in P3P that lag on non buffered dont lag anymore (or very greatly minimized)

- Initial lag for P3P is still there. It's when you cast the first Persona in battle.
- No multithread option for Android. :( I assume this still always uses one core?
- Occasional bug in P3P still there. Display sorta loops between a few frames, but the game is still controllable and the audio is still fine. The display just isnt updating properly. Fixable by reloading states like before.

I'm definitely buying Gold now. Will there be issues with saves and savestates since theyre separate apps?

Anyone have descriptions for all the options now?

I don't get it. On 0.81, Patapon 2 was virtually perfect for me. When I updated to 0.9,sound is horrible and out of sync. We have the same device (Note 2). What are your settings now?

I don't get it. On 0.81, Patapon 2 was virtually perfect for me. When I updated to 0.9,sound is horrible and out of sync. We have the same device (Note 2). What are your settings now?

Maybe you have frameskip right now? I tried a lot of settings but they're all the same for me. In 0.8.1, the input lag was so horrid. Even on Easy, I had to press way ahead of time to hit an "OK" note. I could barely form songs in 0.8.1 but now I can actually get perfect notes.

Amici

Maybe you have frameskip right now? I tried a lot of settings but they're all the same for me. In 0.8.1, the input lag was so horrid. Even on Easy, I had to press way ahead of time to hit an "OK" note. I could barely form songs in 0.8.1 but now I can actually get perfect notes.

You're right, it's great with 0.9 :p I tweaked some settings after the downloading the latest 0.9 build, Patapon 2 doesn't play well with the Fast Memory setting. It's great with non-buffered rendering and multithreading on.

Note 2 is awesome with PPSSPP. Still can't find the right settings for Crisis Core though. I only get 60-70% speed when fighting tons of enemies. Turning on frameskipping on Auto makes it a bit more playable though.

Just an update to PPSSPP in general, 0.9.1 has just been released on the main page. Users are advised to upgrade to it as it fixes a few major bugs that were discovered with 0.9.

About the DOA situation, the latest dev builds now have the fix i mentioned before merged into master, so DOA is now easily playable by those not wanting to compile their own builds. As an added bonus, the wireframe effect is now FIXED, so the models look... perfect.

Hey Ambient, is your generic performance guide out of date now that 0.91 has been released?

I've updated it to account for 0.9 and 0.91 already, including new screenshots for the changed UI and changes for renamed options.

Everything else is still pretty much the same, most of the recommendations are still relevant. I've checked it myself.

solid mike

Just an update to PPSSPP in general, 0.9.1 has just been released on the main page. Users are advised to upgrade to it as it fixes a few major bugs that were discovered with 0.9.

About the DOA situation, the latest dev builds now have the fix i mentioned before merged into master, so DOA is now easily playable by those not wanting to compile their own builds. As an added bonus, the wireframe effect is now FIXED, so the models look... perfect.

Awesome! Would you know if Tekken 6 is now playable either on PC or Android (or both)?

EDIT -- So my .cso of DOA Paradise still displays a black screen on PC with 0.91. I think the problem lies within my copy not with the emulator.

EDIT 2 -- It now starts because I forgot to enable Multithreaded I/O however, selecting Travel to New Zack Island makes the game freeze in the loading screen with the 'g' bouncing around.

Awesome! Would you know if Tekken 6 is now playable either on PC or Android (or both)?

EDIT -- So my .cso of DOA Paradise still displays a black screen on PC with 0.91. I think the problem lies within my copy not with the emulator.

PC? That's a qualified yes. Any half decent PC built in the past 4-5 years (min Core 2 with at least 2.8 - 3.0 GHz) coupled with a dedicated graphics card (Intel Integrated Graphics need not apply unless we're talking about HD 3000/4000) should have no trouble with it.

Android? It runs, but at speeds I would not consider playable. It is one of the most performance demanding PSP games for this emulator. Consider playing Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection instead for your Android device.

About DOA Paradise, are you sure you've enabled Multithreaded I/O (aka I/O on Thread) before starting the game?

Also make sure you're up to date with the latest version of 0.9.1 available here, and try again.

EDIT 2 -- It now starts because I forgot to enable Multithreaded I/O however, selecting Travel to New Zack Island makes the game freeze in the loading screen with the 'g' bouncing around.

That's a symptom that the tweak hasn't been merged into that build yet, which means you're still using the official 0.9.1 version.

You need to use the latest dev builds, like I mentioned in my previous post, that's available on the Orphis buildbot. Don't worry, it is exactly the same like the official build, but slightly more up to date. We officially support those builds too for troubleshooting purposes; in fact users are often recommended to upgrade to those dev builds if a fix was added in for games that they could not otherwise play in the official builds.

The tweak was merged into master a few revisions after the official 0.9.1 (v0.9.1-3-gc46b7fb), so it's no wonder the problem still exists for you.

solid mike

That's a symptom that the tweak hasn't been merged into that build yet, which means you're still using the official 0.9.1 version.

You need to use the latest dev builds, like I mentioned in my previous post, that's available on the Orphis buildbot. Don't worry, it is exactly the same like the official build, but slightly more up to date. We officially support those builds too for troubleshooting purposes; in fact users are often recommended to upgrade to those dev builds if a fix was added in for games that they could not otherwise play in the official builds.

The tweak was merged into master a few revisions after the official 0.9.1 (v0.9.1-3-gc46b7fb), so it's no wonder the problem still exists for you.

I'm at Orphis right now. So I get builds created post-v0.9.1-3-gc46b7fb?

I'm at Orphis right now. So I get builds created post-v0.9.1-3-gc46b7fb?

Yes. Anyone after that (newer builds at the top) will be fine. Just extract the emulator exe into your working 0.9.1 PPSSPP folder, it should boot up right away with your configured settings and controller mappings.

solid mike

Yeah sorry about that. Only got 2 hours of sleep last night so I didn't clearly read your post right. I mistook the official as the one that could flawlessly run DOA. Currently downloading the topmost build at orphis.

Oh and would you know how to install these dev builds on Android? I only know how to get the official builds via Google Play.

Oh and would you know how to install these dev builds on Android? I only know how to get the official builds via Google Play.

They're just your typical Android apks that you can just download and sideload to your device, like any other unofficial app that you can get outside the Play store.

Do note however, that dev builds and official builds on Android may not co-mingle; to install either one, you'll have to wipe out the previous PPSSPP installation on your device.

It may offer you the option of upgrading so that you may keep your previous settings etc. , but don't count on it as being a sure thing.

On the other hand, newer dev builds can be installed on top of older dev builds with no trouble at all for Android.

solid mike

So DOA Paradise works on v0.9.1-6-g29824d3 with at least I/O on Thread enabled and Hardware transform turned off. ambientmystic was right about the sound being broken. Here are some screens. I'm afraid there's still a problem with the models as there seem to be unnecessary shadows that outline all the models.

9424660_orig.jpg

9553038_orig.jpg

6527279_orig.jpg

solid mike

Also, I've only noticed now that Lisa's feet and palms are the same color as the rest of her skin which we all know isn't the case in real life. But hey, it's a game.

Top Bottom