• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Off topic, but best thread to ask: Any Vita emulators around yet?

All considering, i'd say it's at the very least five years off.

Just picked this up trying to run Birth By Sleep, and works MUCH better than JCPSP, apart from some audio stuttering.
Finally can replay the thing, one of my PSP's shoulder buttons is dead =\

solid mike

It's been quite awhile since the last update to this thread, and so, to conincide with my release from the GAF-gallows (lol), I'd like to bump it with a release changelog of sorts since there have been quite a few revisions (1000+) since the official 0.9.1 release and a heck of a lot of improvements since.

Some of the "new" Features in the latest dev builds:-

1. Rendering Resolution decoupled from Window Size (Windows and Android)

With buffered rendering enabled, users can finally change the internal resolution of the emulator independent of the window size and fix it (up to 10x PSP Rendering Resolution). The previous behaviour was unhelpful to those with weaker machines that struggled in fullscreen and to those who wished to downsample as they pleased.There's also an Auto (1:1) option for those who preferred the older way of how it handled resolution scaling.

2. Improved HQ Beziers and Splines

Recently implemented and improved by Henrik and useful for games that require it for graphical features. Examples include spell effects in Final Fantasy IV, the skyline in Gods Eater Burst (it's no longer just black) and LocoRoco.

3. FXAA Antialiasing

The option has now been implemented into PPSSPP natively. Tiny performance hit and previously had to be enabled from your own vendor's graphics control panel.

4. Many, many game fixes.

Kingdom Hearts longstanding shadow issues have been resolved. The 3rd Birthday's flickering UI in the CTI has been resolved. Amongst many others.

As always, grab the latest dev builds here to gain access to the aforementioned improvements. Also, additional details on each added function and their correlation to performance can be found here.

Any news on when the next stable / commercial update is going live?

Kokonoe

Banned
It's been quite awhile since the last update to this thread, and so, to conincide with my release from the GAF-gallows (lol), I'd like to bump it with a release changelog of sorts since there have been quite a few revisions (1000+) since the official 0.9.1 release and a heck of a lot of improvements since.

Awesome. I'm gonna buy this on my Nvidia Shield. I've been using the free version on it and games run great.

Finally decided to try this out and wow. Runs like a charm with integrated intel graphics and barely uses any cpu. Didn't expect psp emulation to be that non-demanding!

This is pretty much the case. Any semi decent Intel x86 CPU with Intel Integrated HD Graphics and above will do just fine for PPSSPP.

Any news on when the next stable / commercial update is going live?

It's gonna be a while I think, the current consensus amongst the devs is that there are a few more major improvements to come before a new major revision number bump can be considered. We'd also pretty much like to resolve the crashing with atrac3+ issue that is haunting a number of games before we consider it.

Stuart444

Yay, you're back :D

Anyway, I wanted to ask (but since you were banned, I couldn't til now), are the dev team aware of Japanese text bugs whenever Japanese games are played on the emulator?

Examples include text not part of the scene showing up briefly or lines being entirely skipped over. (and in one (well 3 technically) game, idolm@ster shiny festa, the text goes outside of the 'information' (help prompts) boxes).

Hope that makes sense, the last build I tried was one from either a week or two ago so no idea if it's fixed yet but I'm wondering if the devs were even aware of it.

Yay, you're back :D

Anyway, I wanted to ask (but since you were banned, I couldn't til now), are the dev team aware of Japanese text bugs whenever Japanese games are played on the emulator?

Examples include text not part of the scene showing up briefly or lines being entirely skipped over. (and in one (well 3 technically) game, idolm@ster shiny festa, the text goes outside of the 'information' (help prompts) boxes).

Hope that makes sense, the last build I tried was one from either a week or two ago so no idea if it's fixed yet but I'm wondering if the devs were even aware of it.

Afaik, the idolm@ster issue may (I repeat, may) have been fixed recently with the proper implementation of beziers and splines. Try downloading the latest revision from the buildbot and test it again. I personally do not have the game, so I can't confirm it either way myself.

OmegaDL50

I like the progress done on this emulator, although tri-Ace games seem to have issues (VP: Lenneth, SO:FE and SO:SE)

I'm looking forward to when these run flawlessly, will give me an excuse to dump my UMD's and play them on my HDTV instead of looking at a portable screen.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I like the progress done on this emulator, although tri-Ace games seem to have issues (VP: Lenneth, SO:FE and SO:SE)

I'm looking forward to when these run flawlessly, will give me an excuse to dump my UMD's and play them on my HDTV instead of looking at a portable screen.

What problems have you had with SO2? I actually played a good bit of the intro with no problems.

OmegaDL50

Random crashes and black screens after battle. Basically whenever I enter combat it results in a crash of some sort.

Wortany

I recently got my new Xperia Z1, which is beastly. Except for some special effects which may still require proper coding in the emulator, all of the games I throw at it run at full speed with texture upscaling/ AF/ AA.

I hope that the devs are also trying to keep the emulator alive when a phone goes in standby? Because right now most games break when a phone goes in standby and wakes up.
Every 3D game I've been testing so far seems to lose data about the 3D objects or just breaks completely when the phone is woken up.

I recently got my new Xperia Z1, which is beastly. Except for some special effects which may still require proper coding in the emulator, all of the games I throw at it run at full speed with texture upscaling/ AF/ AA.

I hope that the devs are also trying to keep the emulator alive when a phone goes in standby? Because right now most games break when a phone goes in standby and wakes up.
Every 3D game I've been testing so far seems to lose data about the 3D objects or just breaks completely when the phone is woken up.

Yeah, this is a known issue. Savestate and Loadstate are your two best friends to deal with this issue, you'll still have to stop the game and head back to the main game screen though everytime you're done and planning to put your phone into standby.

Perkel

Banned
How is now jeanne d'arc ?

Last time i checked it had main screen 3D graphic but there was no main menu... I would gladly play this with proper 30fps (psp version often hit 20)

For some reason, Lumines has no sound and weird graphical glitches in the Android version, anyone knows of any settings that work?

Also, Super StarDust doesnt work, am I doing something wrong.

Also im gonna take this oportunity to ask if there is a site with a compatibility list?

THanks

How is now jeanne d'arc ?

Last time i checked it had main screen 3D graphic but there was no main menu... I would gladly play this with proper 30fps (psp version often hit 20)

Still unplayable since the character models are still invisible on the field. The main menu is visible in recent builds though.

Also im gonna take this oportunity to ask if there is a site with a compatibility list?

Here.

Zukuu

Banned
I have no BGM when I play Fate/Extra in PPSSPP (very slick emulator btw, I really like it, although I'd like to increase the graphics a bit more (like more AA options, and not just a toggle between on and off)

Anyone knows why/how to fix?

Sajjaja

I have no BGM when I play Fate/Extra in PPSSPP (very slick emulator btw, I really like it, although I'd like to increase the graphics a bit more (like more AA options, and not just a toggle between on and off)

Anyone knows why/how to fix?

Did you download the atrac+ decoder through the options?

Zukuu

Banned
Did you download the atrac+ decoder through the options?
Nope. Just got the latest version of their website and run it. Didn't see any options to install it, nor in the actual program.

edit: d'uh. only looked into the "options" of the actual window, not the program itself x)

Another somewhat major heads up for those keeping updated via git dev builds from the buildbot.

Recent builds (from v0.9.1-1808-g06b0ac9 onwards) have radically changed the locations of configuration data, cheats and screenshots.

Here is a summary of the changes, taken from this ppsspp.org thread, courtesy of daxtsu:-

daxtsu said:
$memstickroot denotes wherever you're keeping PPSSPP's PSP folder. This is usually "memstick", but if you use installed.txt, it's either PPSSPP/PSP in My Documents, or whatever directory you defined in installed.txt.

- Cheats are now located in $memstickroot/PSP/Cheats.
- Config files are now located in $memstickroot/PSP/SYSTEM.
- Screenshots are now located in $memstickroot/PSP/SCREENSHOT.
- Save states can be found in $memstickroot/PSP/PPSSPP_STATE.
- In-game saves are found in $memstickroot/PSP/SAVEDATA.
- DLC files go in $memstickroot/PSP/GAME/<your game id here> in most cases, but it can vary by game.
- Game or Demo EBOOT.PBPs go in $memstickroot/PSP/GAME/<give a new folder a name>.

I don't want my memory stick stuff in the same directory as PPSSPP. I'd prefer PPSSPP to store its saves and files in My Documents(or just Documents on Vista/7/8/8.1). How can I change it?

Create a text file called installed.txt in the same directory as PPSSPP(and leave its contents blank). This will make PPSSPP use your Documents or My Documents folder(in a new folder called PPSSPP) instead of the "memstick" directory where PPSSPP resides.

I don't want my memory stick stuff in the same directory as PPSSPP, and I don't want it in My Documents. Can I put my stuff wherever?

Yes. If you enter a file path inside installed.txt(for example, C:\blah\psp), PPSSPP will use this directory instead of My Documents. However, if PPSSPP can't access this directory for some reason(read-only, it's missing, whatever the case), PPSSPP will fall back on using My Documents/PPSSPP. Also, if you require UTF-8 characters(e.g. Japanese/Russian/Korean/Chinese/etc.) characters in your path, make sure you save installed.txt as UTF-8, otherwise Bad Things(can't find saves, saves being written in mysterious places, etc.) can happen!

I don't care about that/I don't use installed.txt/I want to use the old way! How do I make my cheats and stuff work now that a bunch of stuff was moved around?!

Make sure you don't have an installed.txt file, first off, and this will let PPSSPP use the old behaviour of using the memstick folder in the same directory as PPSSPP(except for things that have permanently moved, like cheats and screenshots).

Hope that helps, especially if you've been trying out a newer build and letting loose a couple of WTFs along the way.

Also, in other news 0.9.5 is coming. Rather soon-ish, and we expect to have a radically new atrac3+ implementation from FFMPEG from Maxim (which is going through the final review right now) to go along with it, amongst a few other things.

What does that mean for you, the end user? No more external at3plusdecoder.dll codecs, lower CPU utilization, better performance in games that require the at3+ codec for Audio, and most importantly, the current crashes that occur in a few games that rely on at3+ for BGM playback will be resolved.

Other 0.9.5 related discussion on the github here.

Please be excited.

I was hoping someone in this thread could help me out.

I'm playing Birth By Sleep on 0.9.1, and went into one of the menus where it normally prompts the PSP system keyboard to come up so you can input text. Now the game is stuck in a frozen, dimmed state, presumably as it would stay while the player entered text. My last save state is about 2 hours before this, so I'd like to salvage it if possible. =/

I was hoping someone in this thread could help me out.

I'm playing Birth By Sleep on 0.9.1, and went into one of the menus where it normally prompts the PSP system keyboard to come up so you can input text. Now the game is stuck in a frozen, dimmed state, presumably as it would stay while the player entered text. My last save state is about 2 hours before this, so I'd like to salvage it if possible. =/

Can you upload the savestate/savegame here before this happens, so that we can take a look at it?

Also, the official 0.9.1 release is really old right now. Try using one of the newer builds from the buildbot here.

Can you upload the savestate/savegame here before this happens, so that we can take a look at it?

Also, the official 0.9.1 release is really old right now. Try using one of the newer builds from the buildbot here.

Yeah, I should mention it's for the JP version of the regular game (not the Final Mix version).

Here's the save state.

To get to the prompt that locks up the game, press Start to bring up the main menu, select the second option, and then select the first option in the Character Menu, and then from there, select the last option. At this point, press Triangle. It's supposed to let you rename your finishers.

It's easily avoidable since renaming them isn't required or has any benefit to the game. I will download a newer version though, thanks.

Stuart444

PPSSPP 0.9.5 is out :)

edit: usual audio issues such as fuzzyness/feedback and stuttering. Nice to not need the audio plugin anymore though :)

edit 2: I see some Japanese games like Digimon Adventure still has a few text issues. Ah well.

vvise

is 0.95 running better on android devices now that the audio plugin isn't required? I thought I read somewhere this would reduce CPU load.

Sajjaja

Forgot to post the release notes for 0.95

Two months since the last release, and today's the 1-year anniversary of the PPSSPP project! What better day to release a new version?

While nothing is perfect, there have been plenty of improvements since the last one, much thanks to all our contributors! Here's a shortlist of top new features:

Atrac3+ plugin no longer required! Thanks Maxim for hard reverse-engineering work
Many, many emulation fixes, including:
bezier/spline curve support, fixing Loco Roco and others
stencil clear emulation, fixing Final Fantasy IV text
Android-x86 support
Post-processing shaders like FXAA, scanlines, vignette
More solid save states (we will try to keep them working from now on. Save states only upgrade forward, not backward to older versions though)
Change render resolution independently of window size
Massive debugger improvements on Windows, by Kingcom and unknownbrackets (GE)
Win32 menu bar is now translatable. Language changes are applied instantly.
Win32: Ability to store PPSSPP's config files and memory stick files in places other than the same directory
Qt audio fixed, Symbian audio and ffmpeg is now threaded for more consistent media processing
Haptic feedback support for mobile devices
Accurate system information for mobile devices
Analog controller support for Blackberry
Windows installer (coming soon)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really see what benefit scanlines would have for PSP since the original screen doesn't have them and the games weren't designed with them in mind.

Rendering resolution being decoupled from the window size is a great improvement though.

Perkel

Banned
I don't really see what benefit scanlines would have for PSP since the original screen doesn't have them and the games weren't designed with them in mind.

Rendering resolution being decoupled from the window size is a great improvement though.

Scanlines are superb for aliasing and pixelated 2D textures.

BTW scanlines color was intentional ? I mean it adds scanlines but also whole screen is greenish

tookhster

So I was wondering, are there any other emulators that were built from the ground up with C++ like this? Because I have a laptop with Intel HD Graphics that can't efficiently play any 3D current gen game even with low settings, but I was able to run KH BBS almost flawlessly on it using this emulator lol. Just wondering if they exist, not asking for links or anything.

Perkel

Banned
So I was wondering, are there any other emulators that were built from the ground up with C++ like this? Because I have a laptop with Intel HD Graphics that can't efficiently play any 3D current gen game even with low settings, but I was able to run KH BBS almost flawlessly on it using this emulator lol. Just wondering if they exist, not asking for links or anything.

I want this team to do all emulators from now on :D

Their PSP emulator is just heads and shoulders above any other emus outthere in therm of speed and user experience.

Compability is still a problem but those things will get ironed out and there isn't really that much games for PSP.

They should do PS2 emu next.

Forgot to post the release notes for 0.95

I was waiting for ector to post those up himself, I guess he's really busy irl at the moment. Thanks for doing it instead, Sajjaja, and for keeping the thread updated and alive.

I want this team to do all emulators from now on :D

Their PSP emulator is just heads and shoulders above any other emus outthere in therm of speed and user experience.

Compability is still a problem but those things will get ironed out and there isn't really that much games for PSP.

They should do PS2 emu next.

Not to undermine the great the work of ector/Henrik and our team of devs and testers (of which I am a small part of), but part of the reason why PPSSPP is as great as it is now is due to it being comprised of folk who are veterans in the emulation arena. ector/Henrik for instance has a long and illustrious history with Dolphin (which is in its 4th incarnation at the moment), of which PPSSPP shares some of its legacy codebase with.

We're also fortunate to have JPCSP as a reference point of sorts, they were the trailblazers in PSP emulation, and it'd have definitely been a lot more difficult to get to where we are right now without them kicking it off at first. A number of our contributors contribute code between the two emulators as well, so improvements that were initially hard to come by in JPCSP were ported over in native C++ to PPSSPP.

As for PS2 emulation, I reckon PCSX2 is going to be as good as it gets for the moment and is already pretty mature. At least on x86.

Perkel

Banned
I was waiting for ector to post those up himself, I guess he's really busy irl at the moment. Thanks for doing it instead, Sajjaja, and for keeping the thread updated and alive.

Not to undermine the great the work of ector/Henrik and our team of devs and testers (of which I am a small part of), but part of the reason why PPSSPP is as great as it is now is due to it being comprised of folk who are veterans in the emulation arena. ector/Henrik for instance has a long and illustrious history with Dolphin (which is in its 4th incarnation at the moment), of which PPSSPP shares some of its legacy codebase with.

We're also fortunate to have JPCSP as a reference point of sorts, they were the trailblazers in PSP emulation, and it'd have definitely been a lot more difficult to get to where we are right now without them kicking it off at first. A number of our contributors contribute code between the two emulators as well, so improvements that were initially hard to come by in JPCSP were ported over in native C++ to PPSSPP.

As for PS2 emulation, I reckon PCSX2 is going to be as good as it gets for the moment and is already pretty mature. At least on x86.

Still PPSSPP is best emu i have ever seen.
Yeah i am using it daily but experience compared to emu like PPSSPP is subpar. Almost every game i try has some problems either with major bugs, performance or just user UI Can 64bit do something for PCSX2 ?

Dolphin is my #2 on my top 5 emus.

I wish also PS1 emus would be better. EPSXE is great but its performance is subpar.

Perkel

Banned
Hopefully the missing in-game character model issue for Jeanne d'Arc will be fixed in the next version. Great game.

yeah. This is the game i am waiting for the most to play. I ripped it on my PSP and i sold later PSP. I have Vita now and i can't play it anymore :/

Sajjaja

It's my thread, man. My baby. A product of my labour. I have to feed it or else it will die....what kind of parent would I be to do that?

Seik

Banned
Damn, PPSSPP just gets better each time I pass by this thread, phenomenal.

I'm having a blast at Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, runs perfectly and it's pretty much the best version to play with widescreen and extra characters. :D

sfa3swqt9.png

super2j

Neo Member
I cannot believe this, I waited years to for a good psp emu. and it happens at the exact time I gave up and borrowed a psp? Great job on there behalf for doing so much in so little time but Grrr. On the other hand.... manybe now I can finally play peacewalker the right way! that PSP controls suckkkk. I totally own the game too, i just don't know how to go about ripping it(because that would be cool to try).

synce

I can't believe how far this thing has come in just a year. Has it surpassed jpcsp in compatibility yet?

Anyway thanks to the developers for making PSP games fun to play again

Top Bottom