• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread

Also, I've only noticed now that Lisa's feet and palms are the same color as the rest of her skin which we all know isn't the case in real life. But hey, it's a game.

The shadows (self and projected) definitely need fixing. But graphical matters take time to resolve as it's often one that affects a wider range of games. i.e. you change/fix one thing, you're more likely than not to break others.

So don't hold your breath on the shadows being fixed soon, unless we get another breakthrough that could also satisfy the needs of other games.

As the saying goes, it will be fixed when it's fixed. Ditto for the sound (MP3 implementation required) and the Precious Memories (screenshot API required) functionality.

solid mike

The shadows (self and projected) definitely need fixing. But graphical matters take time to resolve as it's often one that affects a wider range of games. i.e. you change/fix one thing, you're more likely than not to break others.

So don't hold your breath on the shadows being fixed soon, unless we get another breakthrough that could also satisfy the needs of other games.

As the saying goes, it will be fixed when it's fixed. Ditto for the sound (MP3 implementation required) and the Precious Memories (screenshot API required) functionality.

Yeah but the progress of this emulator is downright amazing. Just last month this game was unplayable but now the only things it's missing to be emulated perfectly are quite arbitrary and don't break the experience completely. Kudos to the devs!

Another quick update.

To those of you who were interested in emulating Persona and Persona 2 but were turned away because of the "black box" transparency issues, they've just been fixed in the latest dev builds on the buildbot, starting from v0.9.1-27-g416f0c5.

What do I mean by "black box" issues?

Using Persona 1 as an example.

Before the fix:-
ibgT33w4RzqX9Y.jpg

After:-

Other games with similar issues are most likely fixed as well, so If you have one with that issue, try the newest dev build out.

And... yet another quick one. (ector is on fire tonight with those updates)

A quickish implementation of splines has been introduced into PPSSPP.

What does mean? It means that games that depend on it for proper functionality will now work.

A major example would be Loco Roco. There are a few other notable ones as well, such as Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection, which relies on it for Magic effects.

Update to the latest dev builds (from v0.9.1-30-g772f9cc onwards) if you're interested.

Amici

I'm still praying that Patapon 2's Patagate/Paraget mode is playable. Not the multiplayer mode of course (I bet we are years away from online multiplayer PSP emulation), just the Play Solo mode. I'm hoping one talented programmer is able to fix that so I can go my merry way with Patapon 2 :p

fertygo

So are the latest build sucked for persona 3 or something?
I have problem in battle, game become unstable graphically.. like buffered shot from opening movie (which I always skip)

So what's my problem then? I stuck with my old build because this.

When in doubt, always start with a fresh new ppsspp.ini file.

Backup your older one, delete it, then try the newer build again from scratch.

It should work fine, the newest builds are actually really good for P3P.

If that fixes your problem, it means that there's a setting in your ppsspp.ini file that newest revision doesn't like.

fertygo

When in doubt, always start with a fresh new ppsspp.ini file.

Backup your older one, delete it, then try the newer build again from scratch.

It should work fine, the newest builds are actually really good for P3P.

If that fixes your problem, it means that there's a setting in your ppsspp.ini file that newest revision doesn't like.

I actually never borrow my .ini file to new build.

Can you point which build that I should use?

EDIT: apparently the build from orphis that have problem, the "official" 0.9.1 does not.

Foffy

Banned
I know I asked about this game earlier, but maybe someone who has the technical knowhow can help answer this for me. Regarding Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles, none of the original games boot. I understand that this is an issue as I asked before, but apparently this can be "solved" if you rip the games as a standalone file (I have no idea on how to do this). But what I wished to ask was why exactly does the emulator fail to load the games? I was curious to understand if there's a known technical reason that the emulator ploops when booting those games. I'm not looking to get a solution, but I was curious as to what causes such a problem.

EDIT: According to this, you can in fact run SotN. However, I have no idea on how to do it. I'm on 0.91-6g29824d3.

ector

Neo Member
And... yet another quick one. (ector is on fire tonight with those updates)

A quickish implementation of splines has been introduced into PPSSPP.

What does mean? It means that games that depend on it for proper functionality will now work.

No it doesn't. I wrote

"Adapt the basic spline code from the softgpu to the GL code.
Fixes (but not perfectly) games that make simple use of splines like LocoRoco.
(The locos are a little jagged)"

It means that I implemented the bare minimum for loco roco to sorta work, not that I fixed all the games that use splines. Try to be a bit more careful in your interpretations :)

Dizzy-4U

I'm getting screen tearing in full screen mode. I have vsync on in the options and it works perfectly in window mode.

Is this a known issue or I'm doing something wrong? I tried two different versions.

No it doesn't. I wrote

"Adapt the basic spline code from the softgpu to the GL code.
Fixes (but not perfectly) games that make simple use of splines like LocoRoco.
(The locos are a little jagged)"

It means that I implemented the bare minimum for loco roco to sorta work, not that I fixed all the games that use splines. Try to be a bit more careful in your interpretations :)

Ah, I apologize for jumping the gun. I did link the commit anyway for anyone who wanted to peruse it ector.

I'm getting screen tearing in full screen mode. I have vsync on in the options and it works perfectly in window mode.

Is this a known issue or I'm doing something wrong? I tried two different versions.

That is actually a known issue. The Vsync implementation is rather wonky at the moment.

If you're on NVIDIA, you can force it from your NVIDIA Control Panel and it'd work perfectly. NVIDIA Inspector is also a good choice.

Wortany

Wow, I''m going through some games for testing the emu and I always knew that some PSP games would look great on a higher resolution. It is crazy the amount of detail some 3D environments/models have that is lost on the low resolution PSP screen.

But if there are high resolution textures than there are guaranteed low resolution textures in the same screen that can be an eye sore (Brave Story)

Dizzy-4U

That is actually a known issue. The Vsync implementation is rather wonky at the moment.

If you're on NVIDIA, you can force it from your NVIDIA Control Panel and it'd work perfectly. NVIDIA Inspector is also a good choice.
Ah, thanks for the info. Will try it tonight.

Didn't know PSP emulation was this advanced i wonder if...

By the gods, it works. Flawlessly, save for some scrambled noise here and there. And it's beautiful in motion.

Yep, it's one of our crown jewels actually. Only issue with that game is its insanely high draw call count which makes it chug on any mobile platform. The game is pretty much unplayable on Android for now, mobile drivers aren't equipped to deal with those massive amounts of draw calls.

I've been playing the game Fate/ Extra in this awesome emulator, and I noticed that from build v0.9.1-15 onwards there is a graphic bug on the screen. ( the last build that works well is v0.9.1.-13 and wanted to tell ambientmystic if he can look into it).

Example:

v0.9.1.-13:

6rUG1tu.png

v0.9.1-15 onward:

aolCcTA.png

v0.9.1.-13:

tVBMF4l.png

v0.9.1-15 onward:

vUsqyhm.png

I've been playing the game Fate/ Extra in this awesome emulator, and I noticed that from build v0.9.1-15 onwards there is a graphic bug on the screen. ( the last build that works well is v0.9.1.-13 and wanted to tell ambientmystic if he can look into it).

Thanks for the report. We're well aware that a particular commit which was merged into 0.9.1-15 onwards has caused some games to exhibit graphical issues. The dev who was responsible for that change has been notified already, but as usual, don't hold your breath on the fix. It will be fixed when it's fixed.

Further details here:-
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/pull/3311

Thanks for the report. We're well aware that a particular commit which was merged into 0.9.1-15 onwards has caused some games to exhibit graphical issues. The dev who was responsible for that change has been notified already, but as usual, don't hold your breath on the fix. It will be fixed when it's fixed.

Further details here:-
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/pull/3311

Didn't know you were aware of the problem already that's good to know.

BTW there also seems to be some light or bloom problems too...I suppose we'll have to wait for the fix then. :)

Example:

0.9.13:

0oedAxT.jpg

0.9.15 - onwards:

ChTOp9g.jpg

Talax

Quick question. Been playing duodecim on my laptop and it's been working like aa charm. However, the emulator stops working at the
last Lightning vs Garland fight
in the story mode when it's 5 on 5. Every single time I reach that point it happens. Anyone know what I should do?

Wow, I''m going through some games for testing the emu and I always knew that some PSP games would look great on a higher resolution. It is crazy the amount of detail some 3D environments/models have that is lost on the low resolution PSP screen.

But if there are high resolution textures than there are guaranteed low resolution textures in the same screen that can be an eye sore (Brave Story)

So I'm pretty sure the top left game is a Bleach Fighter, and the bottom left one is Dissidia, what are the two games on the right ? They look like something I might be interested in.

Sajjaja

I haven't played PPSSPP in a while so I decided to start again today since 0.91 is out and all and I have some free time.

I booted up Crisis Core but for some reason the music isn't playing in the menu or in game. I only ran it for about 30 seconds to a minute and didn't hear it.

Any ideas?

It's been quite awhile since the last update to this thread, and so, to conincide with my release from the GAF-gallows (lol), I'd like to bump it with a release changelog of sorts since there have been quite a few revisions (1000+) since the official 0.9.1 release and a heck of a lot of improvements since.

Some of the "new" Features in the latest dev builds:-

1. Rendering Resolution decoupled from Window Size (Windows and Android)

With buffered rendering enabled, users can finally change the internal resolution of the emulator independent of the window size and fix it (up to 10x PSP Rendering Resolution). The previous behaviour was unhelpful to those with weaker machines that struggled in fullscreen and to those who wished to downsample as they pleased.There's also an Auto (1:1) option for those who preferred the older way of how it handled resolution scaling.

2. Improved HQ Beziers and Splines

Recently implemented and improved by Henrik and useful for games that require it for graphical features. Examples include spell effects in Final Fantasy IV, the skyline in Gods Eater Burst (it's no longer just black) and LocoRoco.

3. FXAA Antialiasing

The option has now been implemented into PPSSPP natively. Tiny performance hit and previously had to be enabled from your own vendor's graphics control panel.

4. Many, many game fixes.

Kingdom Hearts longstanding shadow issues have been resolved. The 3rd Birthday's flickering UI in the CTI has been resolved. Amongst many others.

As always, grab the latest dev builds here to gain access to the aforementioned improvements. Also, additional details on each added function and their correlation to performance can be found here.

Sajjaja

It's been quite awhile since the last update to this thread, and so, to conincide with my release from the GAF-gallows (lol), I'd like to bump it with a release changelog of sorts since there have been quite a few revisions (1000+) since the official 0.9.1 release and a heck of a lot of improvements since.

Some of the "new" Features in the latest dev builds:-

1. Rendering Resolution decoupled from Window Size (Windows and Android)

With buffered rendering enabled, users can finally change the internal resolution of the emulator independent of the window size and fix it (up to 10x PSP Rendering Resolution). The previous behaviour was unhelpful to those with weaker machines that struggled in fullscreen and to those who wished to downsample as they pleased.There's also an Auto (1:1) option for those who preferred the older way of how it handled resolution scaling.

2. Improved HQ Beziers and Splines

Recently implemented and improved by Henrik and useful for games that require it for graphical features. Examples include spell effects in Final Fantasy IV, the skyline in Gods Eater Burst (it's no longer just black) and LocoRoco.

3. FXAA Antialiasing

The option has now been implemented into PPSSPP natively. Tiny performance hit and previously had to be enabled from your own vendor's graphics control panel.

4. Many, many game fixes.

Kingdom Hearts longstanding shadow issues have been resolved. The 3rd Birthday's flickering UI in the CTI has been resolved. Amongst many others.

As always, grab the latest dev builds here to gain access to the aforementioned improvements.

HEYYYYYYYY WELCOME BACK! That will teach you to shit on Nintendo :p

Thanks for the update :D

whitehawk

Banned
I have to say, even without the update 2 posts above me, this emulator is very very impressive. Ridge Racer 2 runs really well on my Nexus 4. It's a solid 60fps 95% of the time. Make sure to disable the HUD though. The HUD can slow it down to 45fps for some reason. Also it runs faster when there are no other cars in sight. Most of the time though it's not a problem. Disable the hud and it's 60fps, minus a couple sections in a few tracks. Plus this is with full sound and music!

Can't wait until this becomes more developed.

HEYYYYYYYY WELCOME BACK! That will teach you to shit on Nintendo :p

Thanks for the update :D

Thanks, I deserved it, and considering the climate at the time, I think I was rather fortunate to have only gotten a temp when it could've easily been a perma.

Anyway, back on topic, in the interest of full disclosure, I think the only reasons why you'd not want to upgrade right now are the following issues that affect certain games:-

1. Overbright issues in a few games

Affects Black Rock Shooter, Dissidia and Dissidia 012 in revisions above v0.9.1-610-g2e8b475. Can be resolved by disabling Buffered Rendering.

2. Atrac3+ related crashes in a few games

Affects the GTA games (Vice City Stories and Chinatown Wars in particular) and randomly affects Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky when atrac3+ audio is enabled using revisions v0.9.1-842-g00f8ae5 and above. Can be resolved by disabling atrac3+ audio but BGMs will not be heard. Further details here.

Perkel

Banned
just tried again Tactics Ogre and it works like a dream. There is one little problem. In intro after naming your character there is no music. I can't change currently if there was music in intro since i lend to my family my Vita.

just tried again Tactics Ogre and it works like a dream. There is one little problem. In intro after naming your character there is no music. I can't change currently if there was music in intro since i lend to my family my Vita.

I just checked the latest dev build and ran through the naming sequence in the game and music does play properly in the intro cutscene after naming your character.

As always, I'd ask if you've already downloaded and installed the atrac3+ decoder properly, and check to see whether or not it is present in the ppsspp folder.

Zukuu

Banned
Thanks guys. Now I hope we'll get the vita tv outside of japan as well, or remote play via ps4+ds4 to play it on the big screen. I hate playing on a small screen >_<

Also, quite curious about Fate/ Extra now lol. Is it any good?

Finally decided to try this out and wow. Runs like a charm with integrated intel graphics and barely uses any cpu. Didn't expect psp emulation to be that non-demanding!

How's Lunar running now? It had some pretty bad sprite transparency issues (and text issues, but I just dumped the font from my PSP).

Top Bottom