• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread

e_i

Why does PPSSPP on Android keep nuking my saves every time it updates? Are the saves still there?

Skilletor

Damn, PPSSPP just gets better each time I pass by this thread, phenomenal.

I'm having a blast at Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, runs perfectly and it's pretty much the best version to play with widescreen and extra characters. :D

sfa3swqt9.png

Wait...This would mean I could use a stick for this game, right?

LOOOOOOOOOL!

Wait...This would mean I could use a stick for this game, right?

LOOOOOOOOOL!

I used a stick for Alpha 3 Max in the early days of remotejoy.

Also, since you can use Sixasis and Dualshock 3s on PSP Go, a pad-hacked arcade stick using those PCBs would work too, lol.

BasilZero

Does Star Ocean show the characters now? Also does FFTactics WotL have that audio issue that it has been having in the previous versions?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Heeeeeeeeeeey guys.

I'd appreciate some help.

The game that won't work is the homebrew software Rhythm 8. It's a music creation tool.

It loads up fine and you can hear the music as it starts but it sits on a black screen. I've tried all the rendering modes but nothing fixed it. I tried disabling stencil and that didn't fix it either.

I'm using the 64bit version of PPSSPP.

I've also tested the 32bit version and it still didn't work.

If someone could help me with this I would be really, really grateful because this is the one program I spend the most time with my PSP on.

Any help duders?

e_i

Speaking of savestates:

Save states are tricky in an emulator that's not fully completed yet, as we haven't found all the state we need to save. Before 0.9.5, we would just copy all the state straight to an unstructured file. As the amount of state differed between the versions, no two were really compatible. From 0.9.5 and forwards, we have created a structured format where we can add new sections as needed.

So currently it's like this:

States from versions before 0.9.5 will never load in a later version
States from 0.9.5 and onwards WILL load in future versions!

Nice. No more saves being nuked?

Just a minor heads up to the interested.

0.9.6 is coming out soon, hopefully by the middle of December prior to Christmas, when the dev team will probably be taking a break from the project until January next year.

A preliminary changelog is as follows (more to be added as we're hopefully resolving other issues):

What's new in 0.9.6
-------------------
* Large general speed improvements
* "Software Skinning" option which speeds up many games with animated 3D characters
* Various fixes around stencil/alpha, reducing glow problems in Wipeout and Gods Eater Burst
* Timing improvements making more games run at the correct FPS, also fixing some audio issues
* More debugger features
* Option for four-way touch dpad, avoiding diagonal issues
* Individually resizable touch controls
* Add ability to switch UMD in multi-disc games (works for most)
* Very basic ad-hoc online play support, to be improved in future versions
* Support for "Immersive mode" full screen on Android Kitkat on devices that
support it (Nexus 4, etc).
* Emulate PSP-2000 rather than the 1000 model by default. Not much different in practice.

Of course, none of the above features will be new to you if you're already on the latest bleeding edge buildbot builds available from Orphis.

Please be excited.

Sajjaja

Just a minor heads up to the interested.

0.9.6 is coming out soon, hopefully by the middle of December prior to Christmas, when the dev team will probably be taking a break from the project until January next year.

A preliminary changelog is as follows (more to be added as we're hopefully resolving other issues):

Of course, none of the above features will be new to you if you're already on the latest bleeding edge buildbot builds available from Orphis.

Please be excited.

Really really excited for Ad Hoc online play. Monster Hunter PC aww yeahhh

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Really really excited for Ad Hoc online play. Monster Hunter PC aww yeahhh

Don't get your hopes up guys. I've been following that thread and that feature is very VERY preliminary at the moment! Baby steps at best, and won't be working the way you'd want it to for quite some time. Trust me, the thought of being able to play the PSP version of Ridge Racers over an online internet connection via PPSSPP has me EXTREMELY moist inside, but the reality is it's somewhat of a pipedream still, despite what the changelog might have you believe.

Sajjaja

Don't get your hopes up guys. I've been following that thread and that feature is very VERY preliminary at the moment! Baby steps at best, and won't be working the way you'd want it to for quite some time. Trust me, the thought of being able to play the PSP version of Ridge Racers over an online internet connection via PPSSPP has me EXTREMELY moist inside, but the reality is it's somewhat of a pipedream still, despite what the changelog might have you believe.

The Ad Hoc Support thread says that the following games work via Ad hoc:
- MHFU EU and US : locally
- MH3rd HD : 2 players max at the moment
- God Eater Burst
- Worms Open Warfare 2
- Fat Princess
- Tekken 6

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The Ad Hoc Support thread says that the following games work via Ad hoc:
- MHFU EU and US : locally
- MH3rd HD : 2 players max at the moment
- God Eater Burst
- Worms Open Warfare 2
- Fat Princess
- Tekken 6

Yeah but until Ridge Racers is on that list it's a moot point.

So is there a way to get games running at 60fps? Some, like Soul Calibur, run at that framerate, but others, such as Valkyria Chronicles, are locked at 30, no matter the graphics settings.

vvise

Holy smokes the performance gains are huge. P3P is now totally playable on my Galaxy S3. Full 30fps very limited drops, even in Tartarus with a party of 4.

Great work on this project guys, you're nailing it.

whitehawk

Banned
To the guy who works on PPSSPP and posts here:

Could we get full screen support for Android 4.4? Would be greatly appreciated. The aspect ratio is a little skewed on my Nexus 4 right now.

Also, Ridge Racer for example runs great, except the screen flashes black for a frame or two every once in a while. Is there a fix for this?

edit: The black screen problem was actually fixed in the most recent update!

To the guy who works on PPSSPP and posts here:

Could we get full screen support for Android 4.4? Would be greatly appreciated. The aspect ratio is a little skewed on my Nexus 4 right now.

Full screen support was added for Android 4.4 KitKat at one point in one of the dev builds but was taken out due to currently unresolved issues with the feature. It will be added again in the future once those issues are resolved.

ector

Neo Member
Just released 0.9.6, enjoy. More performance on Android and a bunch of bugs fixed.

Can someone check if Lumines works correctly now, in the Android version??

Lumines works great. Choose 4-way D-pad mode in Controls option for improved touch screen gameplay (or use a controller...)

4.4 fullscreen didn't make it for this release, didn't work consistently for some reason and I haven't had time to tweak it. Also want to make it an option instead of enforcing it. So stay tuned.

MBison

So wait this has touch screen support? Like I installed in a Asus T100 windows 8.1 machine with touchscreen, how would this function?

Dark_castle

Just released 0.9.6, enjoy. More performance on Android and a bunch of bugs fixed.

Lumines works great. Choose 4-way D-pad mode in Controls option for improved touch screen gameplay (or use a controller...)

4.4 fullscreen didn't make it for this release, didn't work consistently for some reason and I haven't had time to tweak it. Also want to make it an option instead of enforcing it. So stay tuned.

Thanks. Will the missing character models in Jeanne d'Arc be fixed soon?

ector

Neo Member
Any chance of white menus being fixed in the Kenka Bancho games?

Wow, you guys ask about the most obscure games. Had never heard of that one before, so I can't answer, sorry. It's likely that it'll get fixed as a side effect of fixing something else in the future.

Dark_Castle, we've mostly tracked down the Jeanne D'arc issue, it's a bit tricky but solvable. Expect a fix, but I can't say when.

MBison, it has touch screen control support on Android and other supported mobile platforms but currently not Windows. This may change in the future.

AmyS

OMFG just got Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles.

Now I can play the PSP remake plus the original PC-Engine SCD Rondo of Blood on a bigscreen. This is gonna be a treat!

Haven't been into the series since Super Castlevania IV on SNES

Teletraan1

Banned
Just want to give thanks to the people who made this. I suffer from back and neck problems and playing on a portable is like putting me on a torture rack if I try and play longer than a few minutes. I can never get a comfortable, natural sitting/viewing position. This finally lets me play my PSP games on my TV in a comfy manner. I think Jeanne d'Arc is the only game I have that is not playable with this emulator but I am sure things will get straitened out. Great work here. This is like an evolution of emulators and the direction that I hope future emulators take in terms of UI and useability.

Jon Armdog

Thank you to the developers for this thing. Its freaking awesome. I just upgraded to the gold version; the least I could do for the work they've put in.

Also, if anyone has a Nexus 5 and wants a great experience, buy a GameKlip and snap in a PS3 controller. Fits perfectly (without a case), and its plug-and-play.

RalchAC

Guys, I have a couple of questions.

I don't have a PSP, I sold it once I bought a Vita and I don't really want to buy a new one for playing FF Type-0, Digimon Re:Digitalize and Valkyria Chronicles 3 (which all seem to be about to release).

Does the emulator support those games? How well this thing runs in a Nexus 7 (2012)?

Guys, I have a couple of questions.

I don't have a PSP, I sold it once I bought a Vita and I don't really want to buy a new one for playing FF Type-0, Digimon Re:Digitalize and Valkyria Chronicles 3 (which all seem to be about to release).

Does the emulator support those games? How well this thing runs in a Nexus 7 (2012)?

Status of the games in your question:-

FF Type-0 - Playable until the end. Absolutely gorgeous when uprendered.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 - I can personally vouch for this one, I'm still going through it on the emulator though.

Not so sure about Digimon since I don't have the game, but have a look at the PPSSPP Compatibility Database for your answer.

As for the Nexus 7 and PPSSPP, you could try searching through the forums for your answer, but generally speaking it should run fine in the latest dev builds since the emulator has been greatly optimized in recent weeks. Performance has never been better in general. Still runs best on the PC though, that goes without saying; any potato PC made in the past 5 years with some form of dedicated graphics card that supports OpenGL 2.0 will do just fine. We got folk with Pentium 4's, Atoms and low end AMD APUs running the emulator pretty well.

Welcome to the glorious age of HD PSP emulation.

RalchAC

Status of the games in your question:-

FF Type-0 - Playable until the end. Absolutely gorgeous when uprendered.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 - I can personally vouch for this one, I'm still going through it on the emulator though.

Not so sure about Digimon since I don't have the game, but have a look at the PPSSPP Compatibility Database for your answer.

As for the Nexus 7 and PPSSPP, you could try searching through the forums for your answer, but generally speaking it should run fine in the latest dev builds since the emulator has been greatly optimized in recent weeks. Performance has never been better in general. Still runs best on the PC though, that goes without saying; any potato PC made in the past 5 years with some form of dedicated graphics card that supports OpenGL 2.0 will do just fine. We got folk with Pentium 4's, Atoms and low end AMD APUs running the emulator pretty well.

Welcome to the glorious age of HD PSP emulation.

Wow, those are really nice news :) I've just checked the compatibility and it seems the Digimon game is playable too. I've been wondering a thing. Since I don't have a PSP anymore, could I use a Vita linked to JPN PSN, buy the digital copies and back them up with Content Manager in my computer. It'll be more confortable, maybe a little cheaper than importing the UMD.

I have a decent laptop, so I guess I'll be able to run it. Thanks for everything!

Damn, PPSSPP just gets better each time I pass by this thread, phenomenal.

I'm having a blast at Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, runs perfectly and it's pretty much the best version to play with widescreen and extra characters. :D

sfa3swqt9.png

It's stretched when run in "widescreen".

swnny

Was pleasantly surprised when I found out about the adhoc emulation and the possibility of online play. Cudos on that! :) I hope ector and the rest of the team behind this project continue to develop on the adhoc. There are some really great games, that are even better played with a friend (or foe :)).

I have to find some time to dump MHP3rd UMD and copy the savefiles from my PSP, they should work with the emu, right?

Oemenia

Banned
Using the emulator and its downright excellent, came from absolutely nowhere too.

Anyone here having massive screen-tear issues? Its so bad that it happens even when standing still in 2D games. Ive enabled v-sync and its hardly helped, any solutions out there?

Gonna try this out. Thanks!

Have fun. If you're feeling adventurous, don't forget that the latest, bleeding edge dev builds are located here.

It's way ahead of the newest official build (0.9.6), updated more frequently and contains fixes and features not available in the official release. It's also fully supported by devs for support; in fact, we recommend that you always go for the newest dev builds unless otherwise specified.

Oemenia

Banned
Have fun. If you're feeling adventurous, don't forget that the latest, bleeding edge dev builds are located here.

It's way ahead of the newest official build (0.9.6), updated more frequently and contains fixes and features not available in the official release. It's also fully supported by devs for support; in fact, we recommend that you always go for the newest dev builds unless otherwise specified.
I tried the SVN build, its an incredibly polished and stable emulator and the SVN is even better, the sound is the biggest improvement. Unfortunately still having the screen-tear issue.

Is there any way of increasing the internal framerate in games, does increasing the CPU speed help?

I tried the SVN build, its an incredibly polished and stable emulator and the SVN is even better, the sound is the biggest improvement. Unfortunately still having the screen-tear issue.

Is there any way of increasing the internal framerate in games, does increasing the CPU speed help?

Screen-tearing can be further alleviated if the built in emulator's Vsync doesn't do it for you by forcing it in your Graphic Card Control Panel. This is of course dependant on your graphics card vendor (AMD/NVIDIA) or even your chosen platform (Windows/Android etc).

As for the internal framerate, the method for altering it is currently done on a game by game basis. Have a look at this thread in the ppsspp.org forums for further details. There isn't one unified method to magically make all games run internally at 60 FPS at the moment, unfortunately, and not every game is supported either.

Did I buy a PSPGo for no reason? I got it for dualshock support but if this runs my games smoothly I may as well just play them from my PC. I can use saves from my PSP, right?

isamu

D'arc was a great game.

I'm intrigued: what kind of game is it? Action adventure? RPG? First Person Shooter? Racing game? Puzzler? Shmup? Sports game? Farming simulator?

Top Bottom