• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread

RS4-

Thanks for the Tactics Ogre stuff; was trying to play it on my Nexus 7 and it was a little..yeah lol.

Just a warning to NeoGAF users following the latest bleeding edge dev builds for PPSSPP on the buildbot.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO v0.8.1-264-g8b27f4e.

Keyboard and controller functionality for Windows and Android platforms have been fucked up by a certain universal keybinding improvement commit that was merged into an earlier version, v0.8.1-258-gc01a69d.

As a result of this snafu, all games are basically unplayable on any controller or device until this is fixed by the devs.

(Well actually the fix has already been devised but it's just awaiting ector's approval)

Stick to v0.8.1-233-gfbe8a19 or lower for now for working controls until the fix is merged into a newer build.

Jackpot

Banned
Still having cwcheat issues. I'm on the bugged boss battle in Peace Walker and despite having

_C1 One Hit Kill
_L 0x2001B764 0xAE200064

in the cheat file it does nothing. I have the European version.

Aeana

Still having cwcheat issues. I'm on the bugged boss battle in Peace Walker and despite having

in the cheat file it does nothing. I have the European version.

A quick google search using that code says it's for the NA version.

Sajjaja

Just a warning to NeoGAF users following the latest bleeding edge dev builds for PPSSPP on the buildbot.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO v0.8.1-264-g8b27f4e.

Keyboard and controller functionality for Windows and Android platforms have been fucked up by a certain universal keybinding improvement commit that was merged into an earlier version, v0.8.1-258-gc01a69d.

As a result of this snafu, all games are basically unplayable on any controller or device until this is fixed by the devs.

(Well actually the fix has already been devised but it's just awaiting ector's approval)

Stick to v0.8.1-233-gfbe8a19 or lower for now for working controls until the fix is merged into a newer build.

Adding to OP for now. Will remove once problem is solved.

Im_Special

The problem is solved and a solution has been merged, we're just waiting for the build bot to poop out a new build.

Tain

oh my god, this thing is a miracle.

Metal Slug XX is free from its overly filtered (XBLA) and handheld (PSP) cage, omg

The problem is solved and a solution has been merged, we're just waiting for the build bot to poop out a new build.

I think the build bot is stuck at the moment. Possibly due to compilation errors. It's been 2 hours since the fix was merged into master. Usually only takes 10 - 15 minutes tops before the new builds start appearing after a commit gets merged.

Does it play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky? I own the game and I'd so replay it on a huge screen.

Why, yes, it does. :D

Fully playable (I finished it again on PPSSPP). Almost everything works as it should in 0.8.1 official for this game.

Only 2 minor issues:-

1. Savefile pictures appear as black boxes when loading them. You have to rely on the save description to identify the saves.

2. The status menu has a black background instead of the usual Transparent ones on the PSP.

Both issues solved by enabling FramebufferstoMem = True in the ppsspp.ini file and neither of them impact the playability of the game in any capacity whatsoever.

Stuart444

I think the build bot is stuck at the moment. Possibly due to compilation errors. It's been 2 hours since the fix was merged into master. Usually only takes 10 - 15 minutes tops before the new builds start appearing after a commit gets merged.

Is it fixed? if not, hope it gets fixed soon, build bot is great for getting the latest builds :D

Im_Special

Buildbot temporarily down
The datacenter where my server is hosted has had some power issues and my server is currently down. It should be restarted tomorrow if all goes well.

Please be patient, I'll let you know when it is back online. The website being in a different datacenter isn't affected, but no new build will be posted until then.

This was posted yesterday so sometime today.

If you guys are impatient and wanna try out the latest (as of yet, unlisted) dev build, and can't be bothered to build it yourself, I just compiled a 32bit build based on the latest master that merged in some jit improvements and the fixed controls (for kbs and controllers):-

http://www.mediafire.com/?qjrfmyqr702bsje

Virustotal scan result
:-

Code:
SHA256: 	4858a61b04a29966b353f1b9dbdaa4149bba6a18689ca78048c6e6b14be1060a
SHA1: 	383890e86cd7f5d26df126e1c6c11991440dac49
MD5: 	c29484f3445ede628f3ef158f340c582
File size: 	5.0 MB ( 5290907 bytes )
File name: 	ppsspp-v0.8.1-302-g1c90866-windows-x86.7z
File type: 	7ZIP
Detection ratio: 	0 / 47
Analysis date: 	2013-07-05 13:23:14 UTC ( 0 minutes ago )

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Is Sony okay with this, or is it basically piracy?

I don't think the moral argument is best for this thread.

If you're doing things legally and own the games then you're doing it right. Nothing wrong with wanting backups of physical based games which may break or get lost.

gngf123

Is Sony okay with this, or is it basically piracy?

Legal emulation talk is gaf approved. Piracy (as in using the emulators to play games you don't own) is not, and nothing in this thread implies this is happening.

Moral discussions elsewhere.

Althane

Legal emulation talk is gaf approved. Piracy (as in using the emulators to play games you don't own) is not, and nothing in this thread implies this is happening.

Moral discussions elsewhere.

And homebrew games are 100% ok all around, ja?

So, since I'm totally new to the Sony handheld scene, and found a bunch of games on that list that I'd like to play (But aren't on the Vita), is there a way to take the UMD/media and get the iso on the computer?

rjc571

Banned
And homebrew games are 100% ok all around, ja?

So, since I'm totally new to the Sony handheld scene, and found a bunch of games on that list that I'd like to play (But aren't on the Vita), is there a way to take the UMD/media and get the iso on the computer?

Put UMD into custom firmware PSP
Connect PSP to PC by USB
Copy iso to PC from explorer
done

Althane

Put UMD into custom firmware PSP
Connect PSP to PC by USB
Copy iso to PC from explorer
done

What if I didn't want to buy a PSP?

(Actually, that would be a somewhat important area to clarify. Is there a thread where this has been discussed, so I don't derail this one?)

gngf123

What if I didn't want to buy a PSP?

(Actually, that would be a somewhat important area to clarify. Is there a thread where this has been discussed, so I don't derail this one?)

Except for maybe using a friends PSP, there's no other legal way to rip UMD's.

Pick up a PSP man, they are cheap now. I'm doing it for Dangan Ronpa.

Sajjaja

Has anyone tried BlazBlue? Remarks?

According to the compatibility list I linked in the OP:

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend - NPJH-50582 - [playable]
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II - ULUS10579 - [playable]
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger - ULUS10519 - [playable]

Althane

Except for maybe using a friends PSP, there's no other legal way to rip UMD's.

Pick up a PSP man, they are cheap now. I'm doing it for Dangan Ronpa.

Okdk, just seeing. I guess I'll be setting up a craigslist alert or something. Thanks for hte info.

A minor update for Danganronpa.

With the release of git build v0.8.1-325-g0eadfdc on the buildbot, the game is now finally properly playable to ATI/AMD graphics card owning folk who couldn't be bothered with building their own experimental builds of the special ppsspp branch I linked to sometime ago.

Just remember to set FramebufferstoMem = True and FramebuffersCPUConvert = True in the ppsspp.ini.

Einherjar

Hmm the newer builds don't seem to have working custom key settings. Only the default key setting QWASZX work.

Anyone else seeing this?

solid mike

Just got mine to work on Windows. Tekken 6 and Persona 3 Portable run smoothly but my Birth by Sleep and Soul Calibur crash.

A bit of request. Is it possible to make it so the dpad cannot be pressed while dragging the virtual analog? Itll improve P3P's controls so much.

Also any suggestions to improve the input latency for Patapon 2? I removed the frame skip which helped a bit.

Seik

Banned
I just bought three games because of all that PSP emu hype.

-Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai
-Dragon Ball Tenkaichi Tag Team
-Daxter

Tests coming soon. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah and I bought FFIV Complete and Tactic Ogre on Ebay, good stuff.

Just got mine to work on Windows. Tekken 6 and Persona 3 Portable run smoothly but my Birth by Sleep and Soul Calibur crash.

That sounds highly irregular. KH: BBS and Soul Calibur should both be playable and should not crash on your system, especially if you can get Tekken 6 (system killer) running smoothly on your PC.

What are your specs? What version of the emulator are you running? I assume you've already tried to get them to run at the default settings already.

If all else fails, try and rip those problematic games again, the isos maybe corupt.

A bit of request. Is it possible to make it so the dpad cannot be pressed while dragging the virtual analog? Itll improve P3P's controls so much.

Also any suggestions to improve the input latency for Patapon 2? I removed the frame skip which helped a bit.

Frameskip and rhythm games = disaster.

On the other hand, if you can't get Speed = 60 on your mobile device, that could also contribute to the input latency.

Not to mention the horrible (by default as compared to the ones in PCs) higher latency audio and graphics drivers used in your average, unrooted mobile device.

solid mike

That sounds highly irregular. KH: BBS and Soul Calibur should both be playable and should not crash on your system, especially if you can get Tekken 6 (system killer) running smoothly on your PC.

What are your specs? What version of the emulator are you running? I assume you've already tried to get them to run at the default settings already.

If all else fails, try and rip those problematic games again, the isos maybe corupt.

Well I downloaded the latest build like a week ago. I burrowed through my stuff to get my PSP which I haven't used in 2 years because the screen randomly goes black but I was able to connect it to my computer to get the ISO files. I run on a Windows 7 64-bit OS on BOOTCAMP (using a Mac). Tekken 6 goes all the way into Arcade and Practice but Soul Calibur crashes when you're at the versus screen and KH BBS crashes after the last intro cutscene.

Well I downloaded the latest build like a week ago. I burrowed through my stuff to get my PSP which I haven't used in 2 years because the screen randomly goes black but I was able to connect it to my computer to get the ISO files. I run on a Windows 7 64-bit OS on BOOTCAMP (using a Mac). Tekken 6 goes all the way into Arcade and Practice but Soul Calibur crashes when you're at the versus screen and KH BBS crashes after the last intro cutscene.

It's normal that Soul Calibur would crash at the Versus screen, since Versus mode utilizes the Wifi Adhoc function which is currently unsupported at the moment by PPSSPP. If you try to access any game modes that requires the WIFI functionality for any game, it'd either do nothing, hang, crash or just inform you that the WIFI switch is off.

(Well actually, having just tested that mode myself, it should just hang at a black screen)

KH BBS on the other hand, should not crash after that cutscene. Does your Mac utilize an AMD card or a NVIDIA card?

Also, try getting a newer build from the buildbot, much can and has changed in a week, especially when it comes to PPSSPP (which goes through 1500+ revisions in a month). Use a 64bit build if possible.

ppsspp-v0.8.1-331-g7960bd0 is not a bad one to use at the moment as it incorporates some fixes. (control snafus from earlier revisions)

solid mike

It's normal that Soul Calibur would crash at the Versus screen, since Versus mode utilizes the Wifi Adhoc function which is currently unsupported at the moment by PPSSPP. If you try to access any game modes that requires the WIFI functionality for any game, it'd either do nothing, hang, crash or just inform you that the WIFI switch is off.

(Well actually, having just tested that mode myself, it should just hang at a black screen)

KH BBS on the other hand, should not crash after that cutscene. Does your Mac utilize an AMD card or a NVIDIA card?

Also, try getting a newer build from the buildbot, much can and has changed in a week, especially when it comes to PPSSPP (which goes through 1500+ revisions in a month). Use a 64bit build if possible.

ppsspp-v0.8.1-331-g7960bd0 is not a bad one to use at the moment as it incorporates some fixes. (control snafus from earlier revisions)

Sorry, I should have worded that better. I meant that even when picking Practice mode, the game crashes when the two character cards are presented.

Sorry, I should have worded that better. I meant that even when picking Practice mode, the game crashes when the two character cards are presented.

Okay, that is odd.

I still need to know the exact specs of your current Mac device though, if you don't mind. Especially the graphics card. AMD or NVIDIA?

Try looking for it in Device Manager in Windows 7 under Display Adapters.

Also need to know the precise revision of the build you're having trouble with. (0.8? 0.8.1?) The exact revision please.

I'm groping in the dark here mate, some further information would be useful for further diagnosis of the issue.

solid mike

Okay, that is odd.

I still need to know the exact specs of your current Mac device though, if you don't mind. Especially the graphics card. AMD or NVIDIA?

Try looking for it in Device Manager in Windows 7 under Display Adapters.

Also need to know the precise revision of the build you're having trouble with. (0.8? 0.8.1?) The exact revision please.

I'm groping in the dark here mate, some further information would be useful for further diagnosis of the issue.

Hey man, don't stress yourself out, I don't really plan on playing SC BD anyway. I'm just waiting for a friend to lend me his BlazBlue CS2 so I can play it on my Android device. By the way, Tekken 6 is complete dog shit on Android but Tekken 5 DR is so much better; playable but not flawlessly smooth. Now, does anyone know how to speed up emulated games be it lowering graphics or the other options in PPSSPP's settings?

Just to answer your question, this Mac has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330.

Hey man, don't stress yourself out, I don't really plan on playing SC BD anyway. I'm just waiting for a friend to lend me his BlazBlue CS2 so I can play it on my Android device. By the way, Tekken 6 is complete dog shit on Android but Tekken 5 DR is so much better; playable but not flawlessly smooth. Now, does anyone know how to speed up emulated games be it lowering graphics or the other options in PPSSPP's settings?

Just to answer your question, this Mac has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330.

Yep, told you Tekken 6 was a system killer. Unplayable on any mobile Android/IOS device in PPSSPP at the moment.

Speeding up emulation on mobile devices either involves disabling Buffered Rendering (which may or may not break things in games) or making sure frameskipping is on and set to 1 or 3 (odd numbers are best, even numbers cause issues with PPSSPP)

Now, onto other matters.

There's been a breakthrough of sorts guys!

Monhun games now have some (keyword:some) semblance of sound effects functionality in PPSSPP as of v0.8.1-368-gb78276f !
(Thanks to JPCSP for the initial discovery)

It's not perfect as of this moment, there is a delay between the sound effect output and the actual actions you see on screen.

Grab the latest revision here for the initial fix:-

http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

Sajjaja

Yep, told you Tekken 6 was a system killer. Unplayable on any mobile Android/IOS device in PPSSPP at the moment.

Speeding up emulation on mobile devices

Now, onto other matters.

There's been a breakthrough of sorts guys!

Monhun games now have some (keyword:some) semblance of sound effects functionality in PPSSPP as of v0.8.1-368-gb78276f !
(Thanks to JPCSP for the initial discovery)

It's not perfect as of this moment, there is a delay between the sound effect output and the actual actions you see on screen.

Grab the latest revision here for the initial fix:-

http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GSR

On the topic of Dangan Ronpa, the fix for exploring the environment doesn't seem to work with Dangan Ronpa 2. Guess they made some changes under the hood between games.

Neo Child

Banned
so hold the "phone"

therees a psp emulator that runs most games at full speed FOR MOBILES?

crazy.

though i'd still rather have my PSP for actual buttons.

so hold the "phone"

therees a psp emulator that runs most games at full speed FOR MOBILES?

crazy.

though i'd still rather have my PSP for actual buttons.

"Most games" is not quite right.

"A lot of games" would be more accurate, quite a number still have trouble unless you're on a cutting age mobile device.

"Most games" would be true for ppsspp on the PC. Most games run at full speed (60), even on older, ancient ones like mine especially if you have an NVIDIA or AMD/ATI dedicated card (even ones made 5+ years ago)

Im_Special

ARG, controls have now lost the awesome and covenant turbo keys that were originally on the controllers L2 trigger and L3 button, totally unacceptable, hope they bring that back asap.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ARG, controls have now lost the awesome and covenant turbo keys that were originally on the controllers L2 trigger and L3 button, totally unacceptable, hope they bring that back asap.
I actually hate the l/r3 things since it accidently clicks a lot ib guitaroo man and messes up the speed mid song.

Top Bottom