• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mt. Pleasant, Michigan Target has 2 gray systems. They have a display in the front of the store and all the Mario Kart air fresheners and key chains are gone. Few cubes left. Seems like demand has been decent. Few copies of Mario Kart left.

I have two more hours in my ten hour shift today at work and I just stepped out to call the biggest Best Buy in Chicago. They said they'll be sold out within the hour. If I were working a normal shift I totally could grab one. Also, I missed the Amazon refresh yesterday because of a monthly meeting. I have had the worst fucking luck lately, I swear. :(

I'm at best buy out of curiosity and there's plenty of gray units in stock in the mid afternoon. I'm tempted to get one despite feeling like a chump for buying beta hardware...

i feel similarly... but i bought it today

they arent going to be putting out a revision any time soon dude. it's not like its awful hardware...

..plus i never had a wii u, so i'm very stoked.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It seemed to be in stock everywhere today with Mario kart bundles. After this surge in sales I can see finding them much easier a month from now.

I've seen a few people waiting for a new version, but I can't see a new SKI before Xmas 2018.

Has anyone here bought a Switch from a scalper on Amazon that is $80 more than main sku price?

I am getting a big payment soon and I am not exactly a patient person. I want meh Switch.

How often does Amazon restock?

Xilium

They're pretty readily available in Alaska (Anchorage specifically), which is par for the course 3+ weeks out for any new system here.

Got one yesterday with the new Amazon stock. About to get my first major break from law school in a long while and I am excited to get some Zelda in.

Buzzy42

Neo Member
Definitely seems like Best Buy is the place right now-- my store had 20 or so Switches just waiting for their forever homes around 11am, without any major crowds or anything. If you're desperate for one I'd go around (PHYSICALLY, if you call who knows if the person is really looking or what) to see if any BB's have any stock left. Seems like before work lets out today would be a pretty good bet, but later in the weekend will be a mess.

Jams775

Any word on if the new Switches are coming non-warped and without the screen scratching issues? I'm assuming new Joy Cons also don't have the connection issues, either?

I don't have a ruler around right now, but looking at it from the bottom, I'm pretty sure I see it still warped. The bottom left looks a little pulled down compared to the other corners. But I really have to look for it. As for the scratching, I've only put it in the dock a couple times now, and already ordered a glass screen protector for it, so who knows on that. It does feel weird that they just have those plastic guides instead of felt or microfiber or something.

Clockwork

Strange enough I am here at Shopko just for fun and they have 3 gray Switches and 6 Neon.

I decided to bite the bullet and grabbed a neon one even though I swore I would wait for a revision after returning the one I bought on launch day.

The checkout person said they had 15 come in this morning, but nobody really goes there for that stuff.

bill0527

Local Gamestop had 5 tonight. I bought one of them with Zelda and MK8. Now I have to sit here and look at this damn box for a month because it's supposed to be a birthday present :(

Bog

Junior Ace
I saw them at both stores I went to today. Kids at the store even seemed surprised. Their mom was convinced they were just display boxes... or she just wasn't looking to buy it for them.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The good news is that all of my friends who wanted one for Mario Kart now have one. And they did so within 24 hours each of setting out to get one.

I think the bad news is that they did so a week within Mario Kart. I wonder how many more Nintendo has coming in within the next 2-4 weeks or if MK was the big push until Arms.

brerwolfe

I'm in New Orleans for work this week and saw two gray units in a local Wal-Mart (1901 Tchoupitoulas St, New Orleans), for anyone that cares.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Came across about 6 units in Best Buy today and impulse bought one and a copy of Zelda. This wasn't part of the plan.

GAF, please help me:

I didn't think I wanted a Switch. Price felt too high, and besides Zelda and MK8 there didn't seem to be much games coming for awhile. But I went to my Best Buy just after lunch today and a friend there let me know there was ONE left in stock.

Next thing I know I impulse bought it along with Zelda, MK8, that wheel accessory, and a Pro Controller. $545.

Now I have Buyer's Remorse. This is my first Nintendo console of any kind since the GBA over 15 years ago (I've played them all, just never owned any since then). It's now evening here and I still haven't opened anything. I don't know whether to keep it, return it all, or just be a dickbag and try my luck on EBay for some quick profit.

Please help convince me one way or the other!

GAF, please help me:

I didn't think I wanted a Switch. Price felt too high, and besides Zelda and MK8 there didn't seem to be much games coming for awhile. But I went to my Best Buy just after lunch today and a friend there let me know there was ONE left in stock.

Next thing I know I impulse bought it along with Zelda, MK8, that wheel accessory, and a Pro Controller. $545.

Now I have Buyer's Remorse. This is my first Nintendo console of any kind since the GBA over 15 years ago (I've played them all, just never owned any since then). It's now evening here and I still haven't opened anything. I don't know whether to keep it, return it all, or just be a dickbag and try my luck on EBay for some quick profit.

If you didnt have a Wii U then the switch should be very good for you. BOTW and Mario Kart 8 are some of the best games in those franchises, and Splatoon 2 is coming soon.

Clockwork

GAF, please help me:

Keep it. I originally bought a neon one on launch day from Walmart. I had been first in line.

I returned it after a week due to worries about joycon signal issues and dock scratching.

Several weeks later and I regretted it. By chance I ran into some stock tonight and I decided to rebuy a neon unit, a pro controller, and Zelda.

Unicorn

Strange enough I am here at Shopko just for fun and they have 3 gray Switches and 6 Neon.

I decided to bite the bullet and grabbed a neon one even though I swore I would wait for a revision after returning the one I bought on launch day.

The checkout person said they had 15 come in this morning, but nobody really goes there for that stuff.
Uhhhhh

_Clash_

GAF, please help me:

Can you afford it?

What's money for if not for tiny bubbles of pleasure?

Play it and see how you feel. You've probably bought a friend for half a decade

evil ways

GAF, please help me:

If you're not a fan of or do not need to play Zelda, Mario, Splatoon and Pokemon, then I'm not sure this is the console for you at the moment. A lot of surprises might drop at E3, but that's a big might. If you feel like the wait is not worth the $500+ you just spent, then return everything.

DirtyLarry

I am 95% positive if I find one out in the wild I will purchase it, so it is probably a good thing I am not really seeing any in New Jersey. Then again I am not showing up at places either, so who knows maybe I could get one.
If it just had more games I would be proactive about things. I also have never beaten a single Zelda game. I always lose interest even though I enjoy playing them for a little while. Weird how that has happened.

I am 95% positive if I find one out in the wild I will purchase it, so it is probably a good thing I am not really seeing any in New Jersey. Then again I am not showing up at places either, so who knows maybe I could get one.
If it just had more games I would be proactive about things. I also have never beaten a single Zelda game. I always lose interest even though I enjoy playing them for a little while. Weird how that has happened.

If you are close to the Union County area, earlier today GameStop, Walmart in Linden had some stock earlier today, that said..it was very few units, I would call around tomorrow morning. I wasn't around Target today but hey you never know? Good luck!

Tokyo seems to be selling Switches like crazy. Like I said in another thread I bought two one for me and one for someone else. Shibuya electronic stores are loaded right now.

Tubie

GAF, please help me:

Your buyer's remorse will go away as soon as you start using it.

womp

Your buyer's remorse will go away as soon as you start using it.

I felt the same way he does and the next day I was going to return it.

Going on my third week with it now and you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands at this point.

:p

fantomena

provided it's already paired to the device.. you should just be able to hit any(?) button to get it connected to the system. Then hit the controllers button on the home screen and reassign all controllers as you please.

Thanks, it was the pairing thing I had to do. :)

GAF, please help me:

It's really not hyperbole in saying that BotW and MK8 are two of the best video games ever created.

I guess I'd give it some thought for a day or two. But if you can afford it, I'd highly recommend keeping the system. Just know that as a new console, the big games will take awhile to start rolling in on a regular basis. Lots of solid eShop titles to play in the meantime though.

spekkeh

Banned
Both BotW and MK8 are in my top ten of all time list, and I've been gaming for thirty years, and researching them professionally for more than ten years. I'm very incredulous about anyone who would have a bad time with the Switch, lol.

Man that nowinstock tracker is a godsend. Managed to pick up a neon yesterday from walmart (using the app to get around the mandatory bundle). It's gonna get here on Wed, so excited to finally play BotW!

Do I need to do anything to keep the screen from getting scratched in the dock? Is that a real issue, or totally overblown?

spekkeh

Banned
Man that nowinstock tracker is a godsend. Managed to pick up a neon yesterday from walmart (using the app to get around the mandatory bundle). It's gonna get here on Wed, so excited to finally play BotW!

Do I need to do anything to keep the screen from getting scratched in the dock? Is that a real issue, or totally overblown?
You need to check whether the dock is bent strongly inwards and it's a bit difficult to slide the Switch into the USB port. If you have to use force, get a screen protector or trade your dock. There shouldn't be any friction. Otherwise totally overblown. I believe the number of people who have reported scratches on here are still in the single digits.

You need to check whether the dock is bent strongly inwards and it's a bit difficult to slide the Switch into the USB port. If you have to use force, get a screen protector or trade your dock. There shouldn't be any friction. Otherwise totally overblown. I believe the number of people who have reported scratches on here are still in the single digits.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom