• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Phantasy Star Zero Thread (US)

vesp

i was pretty excited for this but the psp2 online announcement has me second guessing if i want to burn out my yearly month or 2 of some form of PSO on this =/.

The time it's taken to get an english release i've moved on from a DS to an ipod touch, so to me now i'm not too excited for this game :(

kiryogi

Banned
I think of it as prob the best looking full 3d game on the ds yet. Esp on the technical level? when you consider what its pushing overall + the animations,

Lindsay: well they look diff. But you still got sabersa busters etc. And you can have a total of 3 or 4 per cart

Shi: and no you can't play story coop. Only free missions/quests

Teknoman

Diablohead said:
The time it's taken to get an english release i've moved on from a DS to an ipod touch, so to me now i'm not too excited for this game :(

fuyhb9.jpg

Am I missing something?

Lindsay said:
Why would you say that??

Probably means style and color palette wise. PSP looked kinda washed out to me.

sfried

Such negativity on it's own thread... I've been waiting for a year and I think it should pay off...Just need to hear the dubbing.

I got this game at launch in JP, so I'll be coming back to play with you guys, but I won't be buying a NA copy.

I currently only have a LV 100 Humarl with a playtime of 183:16 locked in, but I still don't have all the achievements.

My best weapon is the Celeb Hadan Bite + 20 with 40% native, 35% beast, 10% dark, 44 hit, and a Bite Stomp Photon Art. It freaking rocks! It's worth 22,861 Meseta.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
blech, Metacritic's quote of Nintendo Power's review doesn't really summarize the review too well. The reviewer liked it alot, especially the co-op. The real big complaint in the review was the horrible interface.

kiryogi

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
blech, Metacritic's quote of Nintendo Power's review doesn't really summarize the review too well. The reviewer liked it alot, especially the co-op. The real big complaint in the review was the horrible interface.

Yeah and the chat system doesn't really cut it. It would have been super nice to have the palette systems from PSU. Hitting R+Start is a sorta shortcut for it but it's still super cumbersome. That and using a Dpad for 3d movement versus an analog stick D:

Mockingbird: LV 65 HUnewearl here! 50:33 hours. I take pride in having the Overend PA. It's straight up godly and owns bosses like no other.

Lindsay: Yeah 3 chars total.

kiryogi thanks for sharing with us- I was always HUnewearl on PSO, have you played PSO much? If so, how does PSO compare to Zero terms of customization (I know it's lesser at the character level, but overall do you feel unique?) Also how is the community? Always people to play with, I assume? Fun factor at any given moment? You grind much? Feel free to go off on a tangent on this game/ignore my questions...

I dunnnno.
DSlite d-pad + full 3D game will turn my thumbs to shit.

Still though I could pick this up while waiting for the US release for PSP2...

DemiMatt

great thread OP! I have been wondering what the deal was with this game ever since I saw an add for it last year. Now...its out! Sw00t! LMK if anyone wants to play!

Not having a proper character creator seems just really cheap. I dunno, I just can't get excited for PS0 now looking at PSP2 with all PS0's cool bits in a better looking game :S If they'd released it half a fucking year ago, I might have bit. Maybe I still will? :S

kiryogi

Banned
the_painted_bird said:
kiryogi thanks for sharing with us- I was always HUnewearl on PSO, have you played PSO much? If so, how does PSO compare to Zero terms of customization (I know it's lesser at the character level, but overall do you feel unique?) Also how is the community? Always people to play with, I assume? Fun factor at any given moment? You grind much? Feel free to go off on a tangent on this game/ignore my questions...

Heh, seeing that you're a junior member, you probably don't know that I'm probably one of the biggest fans of PSOnline on NeoGAF. (And by PSOnline, I mean everything, from PSO to PSU and beyond) Customization is a little more indepth. I don't recall the details since it's been awhile, but there's something you can do to transfer something in weapons. I think it was either the affinities or the PA levels. It's really a throwback to PSO, doesn't compare to the level of customization PSU offers. No idea about the community, I played mainly with my friends.

kiryogi

Banned
Gilgamesh said:
If only they would make a real Phantasy Star game again...

Face it, this is the face of Phantasy Star today. In other words get out if you're a whining about it being PSOnline.

Foxix Von

A part of me knows that this game is going to be bad. Regardless of how good I think it might be... but all my fond memories of PSO are going to make this a day 1 purchase.

I'm excited even though I don't want to be :lol

VQ

Wish I was looking forward to this more even being a huge Phantasy Star fan. I'm not digging the art style, especially the cowboy-looking RAmar. At least some of them still look PSOish. Ah well, I've already got my copy pre-orded and I'll GameFly another for my wife. As long as it's not as bad as launch PSU, I'll be happy.

Teknoman

Hmm well i'll be playing with randoms and GAF im sure. Will give impressions since this is a definite purchase. On an unrelated note, I need to force myself back into Monster Hunter Unite :lol

Foxix said:
A part of me knows that this game is going to be bad. Regardless of how good I think it might be... but all my fond memories of PSO are going to make this a day 1 purchase.

I'm excited even though I don't want to be :lol

VQ

I dunno about that, most reviews have good things to say about the game aside from a few interface issues.

EDIT: The music seems kinda catchy from what i'm hearing on youtube. Also its got the change in music similar to PSO when you fight monsters, which is great.

sfried

SecretBonusPoint said:
Not having a proper character creator seems just really cheap. I dunno, I just can't get excited for PS0 now looking at PSP2 with all PS0's cool bits in a better looking game :S If they'd released it half a fucking year ago, I might have bit. Maybe I still will? :S
It was released a year ago. It took a whole year to translate.

It could be worse. It could be like Layton where it took two years to localize the sequel.

Teknoman

What I dont get is why there isnt some huge wiki or site guide of items and bosses yet. PSU, PSP, and PSO do, yet PS0 has been out for awhile now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered.
A little nervous, I've never played PSO before.
I hope I like it.

d0c_zaius

I cant believe this game is coming out next week. If only there was some way to find the old pso peeps....

My first digital feeling of loss was my level 99 hucast lost to a corrupted DC mem card:D SnakeEyes RIP

Foxix Von

Teknoman said:
Hmm well i'll be playing with randoms and GAF im sure. Will give impressions since this is a definite purchase. On an unrelated note, I need to force myself back into Monster Hunter Unite :lol

I dunno about that, most reviews have good things to say about the game aside from a few interface issues.

EDIT: The music seems kinda catchy from what i'm hearing on youtube. Also its got the change in music similar to PSO when you fight monsters, which is great.

I guess I'm still just feeling burned from PSU. I think it really just ignited what hope I had left for the series regardless of what format it's in :(

But I really want this to be good, worst case scenario is that I don't care for it and it rekindles my interest in blue burst :lol I'll be buying it asap on the 10th and looking forward to some good online times :D

VQ

Blueblur1

Many thanks to kiryogi for answering questions while I was away. I'm going to add those questions to the OP's F.A.Q. section along with the next update. To be honest, my experience with the JP version is limited. I would normally share a ton of impressions but I've only gotten my characters to about Level 7. What I will share is that while it's not going to be the same as playing Episode 1 & 2 on Gamecube or Blue Burst on PC but that doesn't stop it from feeling like a good ol' PSO game. Yes, the character movement is a little stiff but it isn't a huge annoyance, in my opinion. I think it's fantastic for a handheld loot game. :)

Proven

I'm getting this, but through Gamefly. I feel very... unsure about this game. It shouldn't have taken a year to localize, and now there's hardly any buzz for it because of PSP2. If it's addicting enough I'll pay for it around Black Friday.

MrDaravon

For whatever it's worth, Gamestop is telling me ship date of the 10th/in stores the 11th. I'll be picking this up day 1, but horrific release timing (still playing Dragon Age, and there's MW2 and L4D two in the next week and a half) combined with hoping on a PSP2 US announcement and total lack of buzz has me thinking this thing is going to fail pretty spectacularly. I have no idea how this took a year to come out, if they'd gotten it out this summer it would have been golden :(

I think I'm gonna pass on this game for the US release. Its the same old PSO and thats not necessarily a bad thing but for me it got old quickly. Hope you guys enjoy though

Teknoman

SailorDaravon said:
For whatever it's worth, Gamestop is telling me ship date of the 10th/in stores the 11th. I'll be picking this up day 1, but horrific release timing (still playing Dragon Age, and there's MW2 and L4D two in the next week and a half) combined with hoping on a PSP2 US announcement and total lack of buzz has me thinking this thing is going to fail pretty spectacularly. I have no idea how this took a year to come out, if they'd gotten it out this summer it would have been golden :(

Probably going to be awhile before PSP2 is announced for North America.

MrDaravon

Teknoman said:
Probably going to be awhile before PSP2 is announced for North America.

Probably yeah, but I'm mainly just hoping that even comes out here; I have no idea how well PSP1 did in the US, all I've really heard is the complaining about Sega taking out the download stuff for the US. I played it a bit and enjoyed it but I was kinda PSU'd out at that point, even though PSP I think went a lot more in the right direction than PSU did. I didn't even know about PSP2 until I saw Blueblur's epic post in that thread and now I'm super psyched about it. I can probably get a friend (who loved PSO and to a lesser extent PSU, like me) to pick up a PSP just for that thing if/when it comes out here.

My comment was more in general that the game seems to have been sent to die, not that I'm specifically holding out for PSP2 instead. I'd probably be more excited for this, but in general I hate 3D games on the DS; the fact that I'm even getting this day 1 says a lot, but I just don't know how much I'll be playing this for at least the next month or two.

Proven

SailorDaravon said:
Probably yeah, but I'm mainly just hoping that even comes out here; I have no idea how well PSP1 did in the US, all I've really heard is the complaining about Sega taking out the download stuff for the US. I played it a bit and enjoyed it but I was kinda PSU'd out at that point, even though PSP I think went a lot more in the right direction than PSU did. I didn't even know about PSP2 until I saw Blueblur's epic post in that thread and now I'm super psyched about it. I can probably get a friend (who loved PSO and to a lesser extent PSU, like me) to pick up a PSP just for that thing if/when it comes out here.

My comment was more in general that the game seems to have been sent to die, not that I'm specifically holding out for PSP2 instead. I'd probably be more excited for this, but in general I hate 3D games on the DS; the fact that I'm even getting this day 1 says a lot, but I just don't know how much I'll be playing this for at least the next month or two.

I pretty much have the same problem. The audience for PSZ without any marketing is the audience that heard about the game from last year and wanted it release by the summer, latest. Now many of us have gained a buzzkill over the passing of the year, the deluge of releases this holiday season, and the release of PSP2 in Japan. This game isn't going to be very fun online in a month or two.

kiryogi

Banned
Proven said:
I pretty much have the same problem. The audience for PSZ without any marketing is the audience that heard about the game from last year and wanted it release by the summer, latest. Now many of us have gained a buzzkill over the passing of the year, the deluge of releases this holiday season, and the release of PSP2 in Japan. This game isn't going to be very fun online in a month or two.

no joke. I'm only playing psz casually with you folks but that said. the online trial for PSP2 starts tomorrow night... But man once PSP2 truly hits, that's all I'm playing.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
PSUP is back up. Their 0 sections kinda lacking in comparison to PSU~ but thats prolly just about right since the game itself is lacking >_>

http://psupedia.info/PS0:Phantasy_Star_ZERO

kiryogi said:
Lindsay: Yeah 3 chars total.

That stinks! It must be a limitation of DS card save memory. VMU's could hold only one character but GC memory cards could hold 4 so I guess its about right but still...

Oh ya, is it like PSO/PS:p where your offline characters are also your online ones? Won't that lead to rampant cheating?

SailorDaravon said:
Probably yeah, but I'm mainly just hoping that even comes out here; I have no idea how well PSP1 did in the US

fwiw (prolly not much) a moderator on Segas PSU forums said PS:p had sold around 100k in the US. Plus there was that SoA/SCEA marketing leak where a PS:p2/PSP bundle was discussed! So I'm pretty sure they are working on bring it over the question is when! With "Valkyria" 2 coming in the summer it would have to be some time before or after I'd think?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm thinking I might pick up the strategy guide for this.
I really want to love this game, but I'm feeling a bit intimidated by it for some reason.

MrDaravon

Lindsay said:
fwiw (prolly not much) a moderator on Segas PSU forums said PS:p had sold around 100k in the US. Plus there was that SoA/SCEA marketing leak where a PS:p2/PSP bundle was discussed! So I'm pretty sure they are working on bring it over the question is when! With "Valkyria" 2 coming in the summer it would have to be some time before or after I'd think?

Considering my wife and I still have a PSP-1000 and I've been putting up offgrading, I would totally buy a bundle if it came out here; at least assuming it came with the case/manual (I hate it when bundles don't), or some cool PSP design or something maybe.

Foxix Von

Just got done paying for it. Hopefully I luck out and my work get's it in tomorrow so I can at least spend the night with it. :lol

VQ

bounchfx

Lindsay said:
Why would you say that??

because the colors are much more pleasing to the eye than any shots I've seen from the psp version.

polygons aren't everything, people.

edit:

fucking fuck fuck it comes out the day after I leave on my fucking trip dammit :(

Teknoman

bounchfx said:
because the colors are much more pleasing to the eye than any shots I've seen from the psp version.

polygons aren't everything, people.

edit:

fucking fuck fuck it comes out the day after I leave on my fucking trip dammit :(

My thoughts exactly. Also I like the boss designs in PS0 more than PSP1...not to mention they dont just have slightly edited models for boss battles down the line.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I am hyped for the game, but I am not that fond of the art style. The frontier western tinge to the characters just isn't something I'm digging. I like that they went back to more of the PSO look for the design, but I just wish it wasn't so western themed.

callous

This team should be in charge of future PSOnline games. Unlike the PSP team, these guys sort of get what PSO is all about.

I played the Japanese release to death and highly recommend it to any PSO fan who was disappointed with PSU+offspring.

God knows the game could do with a multitude of improvements (a bit of elevation in the levels wouldn't have hurt for starters), but I think any PSO fan will get at least 50 good hours out of PSZ. That's nothing compared to PSO, but it's still a solid dollar/hour investment.

P.S. Totally agree on the western theme, but when you're playing the game itself it doesn't really show much at all, so give it a chance anyway.

botticus

Looks like Amazon sold out its (expected?) first shipment, as it's temporarily out of stock. Sega must have shipped dozens of copies.

Top Bottom