• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Out shooting the milky way on Sunday and I did some simple light painting to jazz it up.

36142231185_edcd0c62d5_c.jpg

Jkreutz, on Flickr

Love that shot. I checked your Flickr and saw that it was a 20 second exposure at f/1.8 and 2,000 ISO! Must have been almost pitch black in reality.

The person (you?) looks pretty sharp, too. Did he or she just stay super still during the whole exposure?

SaitoH

Love that shot. I checked your Flickr and saw that it was a 20 second exposure at f/1.8 and 2,000 ISO! Must have been almost pitch black in reality.

The person (you?) looks pretty sharp, too. Did he or she just stay super still during the whole exposure?

Thanks!

No moon on Sunday, so It was very dark. Yup that's me standing still for 20 seconds. Heh

iGBnjDc.jpg

Really like your style, but this one is special! Captured all of my attention immediately. Beautiful composition and lighting making a striking image.

For the first time in a weeknight, I didn't have shit to do(and didn't wanna play games either lol) so I set up my gear to shot something... after a looooong time of not shooting for fun at least.

One of these days I'm actually gonna get a free weekend to just shoot or whatever... been way too busy with work and other things so I don't really have much time to shoot for fun. :(

Ne0n

Banned
I like the strong theme to your stuff. I can't help but cringe at the safe gun rule violation, though. Even though it's probably a prop (maybe?) and the camera could be on a tripod. I'm just not a huge fan of encouraging this kind of behavior to people. Sorry to be a downer. Great stuff otherwise!

It's a replica.

thanks for all the nice comments guys

phoenixyz

@EvB: Love your pictures on this page, but in my opinion some of them would — at least according to my taste — profit from not raising the blacks. Especially these two.

EvB

@EvB: Love your pictures on this page, but in my opinion some of them would — at least according to my taste — profit from not raising the blacks. Especially these two.

Appreciate the feedback,I'll bare that in mind next time I do some more edits.
I intentionally do it to try and give them a slightly more cinema like quality, without adding grain.
The garden one perhaps does need the contrast a bit more.

Love this one. You get some nice color tones out of work. How much of that is your PP work and medium format?
I don't do a ton. My basic workflow is:

Scan Film -> Remove Dust -> Retouch Skin (if needed) -> Burn & Dodge -> Adjust Curves -> Re-size & Export

I try to limit my editing to things that could be done in a darkroom.

I don't do a ton. My basic workflow is:

Scan Film -> Remove Dust -> Retouch Skin (if needed) -> Burn & Dodge -> Adjust Curves -> Re-size & Export

I try to limit my editing to things that could be done in a darkroom.
Damn then a lot of that is MF...granted I don't know what you mean by "burn and dodge" since that's not part of my workflow. I do adjust tone curves though.

Damn then a lot of that is MF...granted I don't know what you mean by "burn and dodge" since that's not part of my workflow. I do adjust tone curves though.
Burning is darkening and dodging is brightening parts of a photo using the paintbrush tool. It's a more detailed way of increasing the contrast, and bringing out details.

Oh ok, interesting, never really did that before.

If you're interested in experimenting, there is a burn and dodge tool in photoshop, but those are destructive to a photo. But they're a good way to introduce yourself to burning & dodging.

What I do is create two curves layers, and increase the highlights in one, than decrease the darks in the other, then create and invert a mask over both. Then I use the paintbrush tool at around a 12% opacity and 30% flow and paint in the dark/highlights of the corresponding curves layers.

If you have a basic understanding of photoshop layers and masking, it's pretty simple. But I can understand how it's sound confusing to someone who doesn't use it much haha.

If you're interested in experimenting, there is a burn and dodge tool in photoshop, but those are destructive to a photo. But they're a good way to introduce yourself to burning & dodging.

What I do is create two curves layers, and increase the highlights in one, than decrease the darks in the other, then create and invert a mask over both. Then I use the paintbrush tool at around a 12% opacity and 30% flow and paint in the dark/highlights of the corresponding curves layers.

If you have a basic understanding of photoshop layers and masking, it's pretty simple. But I can understand how it's sound confusing to someone who doesn't use it much haha.
I have photoshop...just never use it. I should experiment with this at some point, but definitely not on my current laptop. That and find some actual patience to actually work with this process.

So I have a question for you all, relating to which lenses I should sell in order to upgrade another one.

Here is my current gear, for reference:

5DmkIII & 7D

35 1.4L
50 1.4
85 1.4
100 2.8 macro
135 2L
24-105 4L
70-200 4L IS

I have a good assortment of lenses, but I am thinking of maybe paring back a bit, considering that I hate to carry around 4 lenses at a time.

Here was my plan: Sell the 100 macro, 135L, and 70-200 f4. Buy a 70-200 2.8L IS II.

I never use the macro (haven't touched it in over 3 years) so it's an obvious sell. If I'm getting a better 70-200 then obviously I will be selling the old one. So the question is, is it worth getting rid of the 135L in order to upgrade to the 2.8 IS II on the 70-200?

I like my 135, but from what I have seen the new 2.8 IS II holds up quite well, and has better versatility.

Thoughts?

So I have a question for you all, relating to which lenses I should sell in order to upgrade another one.

Here is my current gear, for reference:

5DmkIII & 7D

35 1.4L
50 1.4
85 1.4
100 2.8 macro
135 2L
24-105 4L
70-200 4L IS

I have a good assortment of lenses, but I am thinking of maybe paring back a bit, considering that I hate to carry around 4 lenses at a time.

Here was my plan: Sell the 100 macro, 135L, and 70-200 f4. Buy a 70-200 2.8L IS II.

I never use the macro (haven't touched it in over 3 years) so it's an obvious sell. If I'm getting a better 70-200 then obviously I will be selling the old one. So the question is, is it worth getting rid of the 135L in order to upgrade to the 2.8 IS II on the 70-200?

I like my 135, but from what I have seen the new 2.8 IS II holds up quite well, and has better versatility.

Thoughts?
I would also sell the 24-105. It's a crappy lens.

Sell the 24-105, 70-200, 100, and 135L (though I personally would keep the 135, it's a great lens).

Replace with a 70-200 2.8 and 24-70 2.8. That way you'd have two versatile zoom lenses and a nice collection of primes.

I would also sell the 24-105. It's a crappy lens.

Sell the 24-105, 70-200, 100, and 135L (though I personally would keep the 135, it's a great lens).

Replace with a 70-200 2.8 and 24-70 2.8. That way you'd have two versatile zoom lenses and a nice collection of primes.

Yes, I am also considering selling the 24-105. The only issue is that this plan would end up costing me a lot of money.

The following are in Canadian $:

Sell:
70-200 4L IS - $1100
135 2L - $900
100 2.8 - $650
Total: $2650

Buy:
70-200 2.8L IS II - $2446

So I can basically swap 3 for 1 on that deal.

I could probably get $700 for my 24-105, but the 24-70 would cost $2174. Combined with the small amount I make on the first deal, I end up having to pay $1270.

That's money I don't have at the moment, unfortunately.

brerwolfe

That's money I don't have at the moment, unfortunately.
No need to buy brand new. Keep an eye on Canon's refurb site, or look around for used lenses in your area.

I bought my 70-200 2.8 in 2010 and that thing is still my workhorse. Point being, buying a quality lens that someone's had for 3 or 4 years (or longer) isn't a terrible idea. They're built to last, and you can upgrade later when you're in a better financial position.

No need to buy brand new. Keep an eye on Canon's refurb site, or look around for used lenses in your area.

I bought my 70-200 2.8 in 2010 and that thing is still my workhorse. Point being, buying a quality lens that someone's had for 3 or 4 years (or longer) isn't a terrible idea. They're built to last, and you can upgrade later when you're in a better financial position.

True. I live in a relatively small Canadian city though (pop 225k) so there aren't many used lenses floating around, and no other cities nearby. I hate to buy used online, unless through Canon. I will check that out, however, thanks for the suggestion.

If you don't mind me asking (and anyone else as well), what is the normal price (in USD or CDN) for the 70-200 2.8L IS II? Canon's site says it is $2300 right now, which is a sale discount from the normal $3000. Is it actually on sale right now? This sale appears to end in a few days.

EDIT - It also appears that Canadians cannot buy refurbished lenses from the Canon store. The Canadian store has no such counterpart.

True. I live in a relatively small Canadian city though (pop 225k) so there aren't many used lenses floating around, and no other cities nearby. I hate to buy used online, unless through Canon. I will check that out, however, thanks for the suggestion.
You can't just buy used from Henry's Camera store on ebay? His shop is actually pretty reputable.

Vuze

This dude surprised me when moving some wood on our construction site near the forest today. Seems like he settled down there sometime between last Saturday and today lol.
Only had my 5S on me but I kinda dig this pic so whatever. (Of course I relocated him into a rather moist part the woods afterwards since he was without any cover. Not sure why he moved in in the first place)
IMG_1280-2 by Cornelius W, auf Flickr

Ne0n

Banned
shot that on a D7000, 7 year old camera man, can get em 300quid second hand! pick one up and start shooting again.

love that cheddahz

Yeah, Polson Pier. Several years ago though.

New photo. I hate how my phone screen and laptop screen have different color calibrations. I don't know if it looks good in all screen conditions/
2017-07-30 02.58.25 2 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

Looking at the photos before, I need to find some neon lights lol.
You really seem to have a shooting against the sun fetish...take no offense to this comment, I just find it interesting.

jokkir

You really seem to have a shooting against the sun fetish...take no offense to this comment, I just find it interesting.

lol yeah. I like how it looks and keeps me interested in taking more portraits/photos of people instead of giving up. Plus the model/friends like it too.

I want to try more high contrasty shots though. I can't find a good location in my city.

lol yeah. I like how it looks and keeps me interested in taking more portraits/photos of people instead of giving up. Plus the model/friends like it too.

I want to try more high contrasty shots though. I can't find a good location in my city.
There are no parks? My stuff is probably very high contrast and it's essentially just street photography.

diaspora

If you don't mind me asking (and anyone else as well), what is the normal price (in USD or CDN) for the 70-200 2.8L IS II? Canon's site says it is $2300 right now, which is a sale discount from the normal $3000. Is it actually on sale right now? This sale appears to end in a few days.

EDIT - It also appears that Canadians cannot buy refurbished lenses from the Canon store. The Canadian store has no such counterpart.

Just buy the Tamron one. Close in sharpness to the Mark II L but like half the price. It has optical image stabilization too.

diaspora

THis is the one I've been using, I like it a lot. I tend to not use junk lenses.

From what I remember the Tamron does have worse vignetting and corner/edge sharpness versus the Canon, but given that both are competitive across a broad scope of use cases and the Tamron being half the price it's a no-brainer IMO.

From what I remember the Tamron does have worse vignetting and corner/edge sharpness versus the Canon, but given that both are competitive across a broad scope of use cases and the Tamron being half the price it's a no-brainer IMO.
The vignetting is easily fixed on photoshop. It's cheaper and better than most of the Nikon ones I could buy 2 for the price of the VR3 so yeah no brainer for stuff most people don't even notice.

Top Bottom