• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kemono Friends - 12

AOTS.

I can't believe a fully CG show featuring animal girls was the one thing I bothered to keep up with this season and ended up more enjoyable for me.

All the Friends showing up to help Kaban with the OP playing in the background was wonderful. I love how the show is left open for a S2, with the question of where all the humans went still up in the air and lots of more Friends to be found on another island.

Also oh my goodness at the reveal of Kaban basically being a materialization of Mirai's DNA from the Sandstar.

jman2050

Kemono Friends 12

Who knew all you needed to save anime was terrible CG, cute animal girls, a dash of fun, and a creator/director pair so slavishly devoted to seeing their vision through it borders on obsessive?

So I've been checking out MAL lately, and it's really interesting how an ending can completely change the reception of an anime. Masamune-Kun and Fuuka ratings both went into a free-fall after their finales.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ACCA Episode 12:

I am not shocked that this series would culminate in yet another boring anti-climax amounting to white noise, what a waste of time this was.

Cornbread78

Love, Election and Chocolate ep.1-4
JVajPZf.jpg

Randomly started watching this during lunch today after seeing it for the 5,000th time on my PTW list.. It's pretty meh so far and there is no doubt that the childhood friend is going to absolutely get crushed like usual. It's pretty sad actually as she is one of the only normal characters in the show. The MC just wants fresh meat in the form of the other council leader of the abused freshie.. Some of the comedy is alright, some decent character development for the MC, but nothing has moved in regards to ships as of yet.

So I've been checking out MAL lately, and it's really interesting how an ending can completely change the reception of an anime. Masamune-Kun and Fuuka ratings both went into a free-fall after their finales.

Well, $hit endings deserve to get scored like $hit....

zulux21

yeah the last episode tends to have a large effect on a series.

you get a lot of people who wait until the end to vote, as well as a bunch of knee jerk reaction votes.

but yeah masamune went from a 7.63 on march 13th to 7.23 currently.

to be fair the show had been dropping in numbers for a while.

it was a 7.81 on jan 18th
a 7.77 on jan 30th
a 7,75 on feb 7th
7.68 on march 2nd.

so yeah :p

I don't have any info on fuuka though.

if you want to talk about a huge change though
Hand shakers went from a 4.96 on march 13th to a 5.64 right now lol.

other shows that have had a nice swing up in ratings since the last episode aired
ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka
Urara Meirochou
ēlDLIVE

JVajPZf.jpg

Randomly started watching this during lunch today after seeing it for the 5,000th time on my PTW list.. It's pretty meh so far and there is no doubt that the childhood friend is going to absolutely get crushed like usual. It's pretty sad actually as she is one of the only normal characters in the show. The MC just wants fresh meat in the form of the other council leader of the abused freshie.. Some of the comedy is alright, some decent character development for the MC, but nothing has moved in regards to ships as of yet.

Well, $hit endings deserve to get scored like $hit....
I love oojima kun. Also
tumblr_m6r4qckSdF1ra98u4o2_540.png

zulux21

My hero Academia fans, don't ask questions just

watch this video right now.

source

also I didn't realize MHA got the golden anime slot (my name for it, it's the slot right before detective conan that manages to give low budget shows like ace attorney and ultimate otaku teacher high tv ratings. they really are going all in on MHA)

Kemono Friends 12 END

Pffft alright the OP playing was pretty good. I'm glad they brought back all the side characters cuz thats what I actually liked about the show.

Dekutulla

ACCA 1-12

Honestly, this was one of my favorite shows of the season. I enjoyed basically everything about it, except when they had to outsource animation, and I'm glad it ended the way it did rather than the way people seemed to want it to. It's a bummer that I'm apparently in the outlier of public opinion on the show, but it's not particularly surprising given the show's pace, I suppose.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Man God approved slow burn world building.

I'm one of the few that like ACCA. I don't remember how many weeks the dub is behind (3 I think) but they're clearly building to something to excite the fans...and it seemingly falls flat.

I love this world building shit though and usually watch ACCA and then immediately fall asleep Thursday night, not bored, not excited, just pleased.

phaze

ACCA 12 END
I think this ended well enough and true to itself. If you were expecting some great dramatic climax than I question whether you have really watched through eps till now. Loads of narration to spell out the consequences of it all and almost as toothless as usual on the visual side of things but it dealt with all plot threads neatly.

Max Weber / 10

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ACCA 12 END

I think this ended well enough and true to itself. If you were expecting some great dramatic climax than I question whether you have really watched through eps till now. Loads of narration to spell out the consequences of it all and almost as toothless as usual on the visual side of things but it dealt with all plot threads neatly.

Max Weber / 10

That does remind me that the art this episode was god awful, like even for the standards of the show.

phaze

Hanasaku Iroha 13-26 END

Still decent I guess. But I can't help feeling underwhelmed since some episodes gave me an appetite for more, which this ending run failed to satisfy. Trite would be the word with which I'd describe quite a bit of characters arcs, lazy girl grows less lazy, shy girl becomes more outspoken, all stuff with good chance of seeing before and hardly particularly subtle or well written. There was some fun stuff between the three generations of Shijima women as well as Ko stuff halfway through but it all ended pretty mildly. I also can't say that I found the last bout of drama very convincing, from Granny's incredulous reasoning to Kissuiso's very sudden conversion
to the idea of closing
after all but rebelling against her, it all raised my eyebrows for a prolonged period of time. Ohana carries the show with her bubbly personality and most of the rest of the cast is likable enough* too which makes for a pleasant watch but not much more.

*Except Minko. Where was the arc that'd make her not an thoroughly awful person huh ?

-----------

I suppose this kinda concludes my very supreme, grand backlog quest as I don't have anything more in my immediate crosshairs. Been a long time. And to think I thought Escaflowne and Kenshin was all that I needed 3 years ago.
/blog

Ascheroth

Digimon Appli Monsters 23

Revivemon is so badass, it gets its own Appli Fusion song.
That Ultimate showdown was pretty great.
Incoming Dantemon hype intensifies.

Dantemon is as hilarous as he is freakishly op. Damn. Didn't expect that.
Designwise he's a little on the goofy side though. Kind of reminded me a little of (a waaaaaaaay bigger) Star Platinum.
Cometmon was awesome.
This episode totally had that 'halway point climax, let's start part 2' feel to it.

Quasar

JVajPZf.jpg

Quite liked this. i think I started it because of the art being like Amagami.

Its like the logical endpoint of student government authority.

i did also like the whole running a candidate to protect all the useless clubs from defunding.

Endings are incredibly important. Even if people enjoyed the journey a bad end can really sour everything previous for people. It's someone's last experience with a series so it's the last taste they'll have basically. And I agree, it's always interesting to watch a fandom just do a 180 on a series.

Quasar

Endings are incredibly important. Even if people enjoyed the journey a bad end can really sour everything previous for people. It's someone's last experience with a series so it's the last taste they'll have basically. And I agree, it's always interesting to watch a fandom just do a 180 on a series.

It is interesting. I tend to give people a lot of slack with endings of series, as endings are hard. and probably the longer the show the easier it is to do that. Its why I still consider X-Files one of my alltime faves despite dropping the show before the end (I bailed once it was no longer the Dana and Fox show).

With anime so often being adaptions of other media that continues on after the anime its easy to ignore bad endings too as I've probably picked up the source material by the time I get to the end and so my memory of a poor anime end is replaced by my memory of the continuing source material.

Which makes it weird that Erased is still so highly rated lol

Hey the early parts of Captain Earth and Eureka Seven AO were fine, even enjoyable at times.

It's the middle/final parts that make viewers cough up internal organs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom