• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

''Apocalypse Now - The Game'' live on KS with FF Coppola on board. Goal is $900K

Couldn't it have been The Raid instead? LOL

Apocalypse Now is a far superior and more important film, both are good, but unless this game is a masterstroke, something like The Raid is a much better fit.

Much better fit for what? Do they own the license to The Raid? Did Copolla work on The Raid? I don't get it.

I do like interesting takes on the FPS genre. Need a prototype game play video before I decide to back this project.

Again, don't get your hopes up. It's not going to be gameplay. This game has 3+ years to be developed.

https://www.framestore.com/work/apocalypse-now-game

"A cross-disciplinary team of AAA game developers, motion picture professionals and interactive creatives are coming together to create this truly unique experience. Led by Creative Director Rob Auten, Framestore VFX artists and Ringling College of Art and Design produced a prototype video illustrating early visual representations of an Unreal Engine 4-rendered Apocalypse Now."

Spaghetti

Coppola's wine not paying the bills? I really don't understand why he would show interest in games out of the blue like this.
Beats me. There was a talk from Coppola within the last year or so at the AFI (I think) about how he's doing a lot of experimental stuff these days, so this could be a part of that. American Zoetrope is controlled by his kids now, though. They could be the ones pushing for it. We all know Coppola will do basically anything to help family.

If you cannot keep your scope small enough that you can't put together (at the very least) some footage of gameplay prototypes, you are probably already setting yourself up for failure.
A prototype video is going up next week, so you got your wish regardless.

But it still doesn't change the fact that in many cases developers cannot financially or logistically put together a prototype for a Kickstarter. Passion projects where the developers are making the prototype after hours are the fringe cases, and not the rule. Developers don't always have the time, money, or resources to sink into a prototype for a Kickstarter that may not even get funded.

Judging by how people on this very forum have acted with clearly work-in-progress and prototype materials (see the litany of shitty comments in Bloodstained and Shenmue III threads), it's usually better to sell a Kickstarter on a promise than in-development work anyway, because it's clear that a lot of consumers can't actually handle a semi-open development process.

I've backed nearly ten Kickstarters over the last few years, and I don't think a single one launched with prototype gameplay attached. All those games (bar the one still due for release in the next year or two) have released and turned out mostly "as advertised".

I'd probably say the biggest diversion from what was promised was Double Fine Adventure, but that's more or less how I see "old school point and click" compared to the more streamlined experience we got in the end.

Its a very cool idea but movie directors getting into gaming don't always turn out so well.

79871091001_l.jpg

SystemUser

If the prototype trailer is coming next week. they should have launched the campaign next week.

Aside from the rare exception like Harebrained who have both delivered on past campaigns and proven they can faithfully make gameplay that closely resembles their concept art, never ever back a project that doesn't have gameplay footage

That should be the number one golden rule if you're interested in backing games. It doesn't matter who the developers are or what the project is.

The fact that the "pitch" is talking heads and clips from the movie is an even bigger red flag. Especially when they supposedly have enough of a prototype to do a trailer

Who's gonna make the prototype? No one on the team on the kickstarter page can do 3D modeling or animation or any programming. This is a really poorly made kickstarter. I feel bad for Francis Ford Coppola and fans of the movie that don't know enough to see that this kickstarter has no chance of a game hitting the street. 900k budget is not going to work unless this game is a texted based adventure.

It's only at 3% funded so far. Not a good start. When will people learn to have gameplay footage or demos ready the moment the Kickstarter goes live?!

I recognize the credits of some of the team, but were any of the key team members also key team members on the projects they list in their credits? It seems like a lot of mid-level people with not a whole lot of experience actually leading teams that delivered projects of this proposed scope and scale.

AHA-Lambda

Couldn't it have been The Raid instead? LOL

Apocalypse Now is a far superior and more important film, both are good, but unless this game is a masterstroke, something like The Raid is a much better fit.

of all things why the hell did you pick the raid??

Lime

I recognize the credits of some of the team, but were any of the key team members also key team members on the projects they list in their credits? It seems like a lot of mid-level people with not a whole lot of experience actually leading teams that delivered projects of this proposed scope and scale.

I'm sure the writer of notable gems like Gears of War: Judgment and Battlefield: Hardline will be up to the task of converting the narrative of Apocalypse Now into video game form.

sorry for being a pessimist

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
AN is one of my favorite movies...but I'm not sold on this KS at all. Sorry, Josh Sawyer.

Ive never seen the movie. I guess the actual animal slaughter kinda turned me away from it. But this seems like a cool and different idea.

I'm more of a Full Metal Jacket kind of fella but I like Apocalypse Now well enough. I sure am interested how it pans out. If it pans out I should say.

Bergerac

As a video game, obviously.

I'm not making a comparison between the two films as films. Didn't think I'd honestly need to clarify.

Cardon

Yeah this whole thing seems odd, especially considering this is the second attempt to make an Apocalypse Now video game.

That prototype video was a tad disappointing too. The tone was certainly fitting of the movie, but it seemed more like a proof-of-concept tone/pitch video rather than a video that demonstrates what the game is. Hell, I would've been fine with a rough vertical slice video rather than a movie trailer remade with in-game assets.

OldMuffin

Because it was dumb as shit not to launch with it if it was ready.

Maybe they expected the name alone to fuel interest?

This campaign is a textbook example of what not to do! Which is kind of a shame cause I think that this could be pretty cool, they just haven't instilled any confidence in me with all they have done so far. If anything they should just scrap this and restart in a few months with a better pitch and some more "gameplay".

Spaghetti

This campaign is a textbook example of what not to do! Which is kind of a shame cause I think that this could be pretty cool, they just haven't instilled any confidence in me with all they have done so far. If anything they should just scrap this and restart in a few months with a better pitch and some more "gameplay".
Is what it is. Can't put the genie back in the bottle, or so they say. At least they're trying to course-correct and are aiming to answer most/all questions they get in the comments.

If it's made in the same way the film was, I don't expect $900,000 to come close to cutting it. Entire project is vague and the prototype video looked incredibly shoddy, reminded me of the Rambo video game in terms of character models and animations, so...no thanks.

MattyG

Banned
That prototype video... I'm not sold. It's a shot for shot remake of the movie, just as a video game? That's what that video made it look like. I mean, we'll see, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

catilio

I have a colleague who's still waiting for his copy of Mighty Number Nine.

This prevents me for backing up a game made out of thin air.

kevin1025

Banned
That prototype video... I'm not sold. It's a shot for shot remake of the movie, just as a video game? That's what that video made it look like. I mean, we'll see, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It was a shot for shot remake of a trailer for the movie, weirdly enough. And two of the shots looked like actual film footage, though maybe that's just my eyes playing tricks on me.

I wish them good luck, but something about this rubs me the wrong way and I won't be contributing.

Top Bottom