• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Sells More Than 1.2 Million Units Worldwide Over First Weekend

Principate

Saint Titanfall
MK definitely should be a launch period title, or at the very latest the first big game near the anniversary mark like it was on the 3DS.

I honestly don't think it would have helped much. The Wii u already had NSMB U. Being a launch title would have simply stunted it and likely have been a worse quality game regardless.

Wii U simply has much bigger problems than that.

MK8 sales: 1,200,000 x $60 = $72,000,000
-
Promotion: 1,200,000 x $60 -$72,000,000
-
Digital promotion: 1,200,000 x $6 = -$7,200,000

Nintendo bank account = -$7,200,000

Who will feed Miyamoto's children?

your not accounting for the fact that you need a deluxe to get the promotion, and many people have basics which dont get it.

thaqt plus as people said the free game is a $40 one not $60 so thats also off

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I honestly don't think it would have helped much. The Wii u already had NSMB U. Being a launch title would have simply stunted it and likely have been a worse quality game regardless.

I think it might have made a difference perception wise.

openrob

The promotion games are all $40 anyway. So that's $72,000,000 - $48,000,000 - $7,200,000 (assuming every purchase was by a wii deluxe owner who redeemed or will redeem their codes) = $16,800,000.

You are counting perceived sales rather than actual losses. How much does a digital download cost Nintendo really?

your not accounting for the fact that you need a deluxe to get the promotion, and many people have basics which dont get it.

thaqt plus as people said the free game is a $40 one not $60 so thats also off
Not to mention that I never had any intention of buying NSMBU lol

Albo

-
-

Luigi will feed them

WelllitInfantileEkaltadeta.gif

with bananas

Kevtones

The promotion games are all $40 anyway. So that's $72,000,000 - $48,000,000 - $7,200,000 (assuming every purchase was by a wii deluxe owner who redeemed or will redeem their codes) = $16,800,000.

But then you factor in marketing and kart-related tariff costs and it becomes -$56,000,000.

Gartooth

Absolutely incredible game aside from poor roster choices and a bad battle mode. Well deserved.

Eating a ton of crow over my predictions for this game vs TF. (Although I wasn't paying attention to that game's sales in April)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait, so Kuchera predicted the lifetime sales would actually be around what was sold this weekend? LOL

Man God

Non-Canon Member

People buy systems for MK games. I was working in a gamestore at the time DD was released and hundreds of gcns moved that year because of it that wouldn't have otherwise. 3DS sales also spiked tremendously with MK7 and the Wii went right back into complete sell out status for a few extra months after MK Wii came out. They work. It's a true bonafide system seller.

Hell just a month ago I was in a Gamestop shooting shit with an old friend of mine when someone came in and picked up a brand new copy of MK Wii.

-
-

I can't believe how many people have taken this post seriously...

neogaf.gif

Raist

Banned
You should read the article and look at the pie chart before making that claim ;)

I have. Have you?

If Mario Kart's trend continues and Nintendo sells Mario Kart 8 to 20.37 percent of its existing 6.17 million user base, sales of the game would reach 1.26 million. If Nintendo's console predictions are correct, and assuming the average of 20.37 percent remains, Mario Kart 8 sales would reach 1.99 million units by the end of March 2015.

They quite obviously never meant it would be 1.26M LTD full stop.

Sayter

-
-

I don't think $60 is the wholesale price.

MilesTeg

Banned
As of today the free games still cost the same amount on eShop: NSMBU $60, Pikmin 3 $60, WWHD $50, Wii Party U $40.

Either way, Nintendo isn't really losing much since these games have largely already sold.

As for the DDP, basically Nintendo gives you money so you spend more on eShop. DDP is a win for Nintendo. Once someone has $5 in eShop, they will possibly buy something that is more than $5. It's just a good way to get people on eShop to spend money.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
People buy systems for MK games. I was working in a gamestore at the time DD was released and hundreds of gcns moved that year because of it that wouldn't have otherwise. 3DS sales also spiked tremendously with MK7 and the Wii went right back into complete sell out status for a few extra months after MK Wii came out. They work. It's a true bonafide system seller.

Hell just a month ago I was in a Gamestop shooting shit with an old friend of mine when someone came in and picked up a brand new copy of MK Wii.

Again people buy systems for NSMB. And they did (likely biggest contributor to Wii U sales). Having both would simply canalise both with not a massive bump, since they're both launch games. There would be barely anything to look forward to and the systems future may have been bleaker.

Congrats to Nintendo, great game from what I played at a friends

Nice to see the Nintendo fans have something positive for a change

Did you guys see this shit? From the new Polygon article:

"Despite the game's rapid sales, Mario Kart 8 is still likely to be one of the worst-selling titles in the franchise's history. For a complete breakdown, check out our analysis piece on Mario Kart."

Are they serious?

It goes beyond all nintendo fans liking Mario Kart or not. It speaks to the amount of games for the Wii u. Even people that own Wii u's and dont like mario kart may feel tempted to buy it and have reasons to take it out for a spin.

That is why I think the attach rate will be over 60%, accounting for the people that just wont buy it.

The PS4 line-up is far worse by now (yes Wii U had a year head start) but nonetheless a hyped game like Infamous sold only 1.3 million till today.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The PS4 line-up is far worse by now (yes Wii U had a year head start) but nonetheless a hyped game like Infamous sold only 1.3 million till today.

Easy bub. Y'know there's other recent PS4 games like Wolfenstein, Transistor, and Watch Dogs right? My PS4 and Wii U compliment one another nicely.

Lebon14

At first I chuckled expecting Iwata as usual...and then.

Dat twist. I love you.

When I saw the GIF, I expected exactly what you thought it would be. When I saw Luigi Death Stare, I cracked up (and saved the GIF to my SSD)

On topic: This is AMAZING news. Seriously. Nintendo needs it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Again people buy systems for NSMB. And they did (likely biggest contributor to Wii U sales). Having both would simply canalise both with not a massive bump, since they're both launch games. There would be barely anything to look forward to and the systems future may have been bleaker.

Again, I'm not talking strictly sales here- I am talking perception of the system as something worth upgrading to. I think just unveiling MK8 prior to launch and releasing it even in summer 2013 would have bettered the initial perception of the machine.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Again, I'm not talking strictly sales here- I am talking perception of the system as something worth upgrading to. I think just unveiling MK8 prior to launch and releasing it even in summer 2013 would have bettered the initial perception of the machine.

That doesn't help the fact third party titles would continue to sell badly the release schedule would still be bad and the sales would still not be good.

The wii u has far, far bigger problems than how quickly MK8 was released.

Hugstable

Banned
This is great news! Glad to hear that Mario Kart 8 did very well and hopefully it will finally start moving system big time now especially with E3 right around the corner! Mario Kart 8 is very deserving of those sales so far for just the weekend, and Mario Kart games have always had good legs, so hopefully we might see the Wii U outlook change a bit. Anyone with a Wii U and still on the border about this game, get it! The online is great fun and I love the options and the fact that tournaments can basically be like servers such as the Gaf Race OT. Gonna be interesting to see the sales after the month of June, especially to see Console sales after June and E3.

tebunker

Banned
-
-

I understand this was kind of a joke post but,

Except that you don't really get $6 in the digital promotion. Second the free games aren't costing them full retail.

Lastly, giving that $5 in digital credit will only encourage further purchases. Great on them.

Top Bottom