• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter not reprising his role as Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5? Statement

Sephzilla

I will say this though, if this isn't a ruse I'll be a little disappointed at them dumping Hayter without even giving him an explanation. You'd think after 15 years and even taking a paycut to reunite the cast for Twin Snakes, he should have earned that.

If this is a ruse, I doubt that we're gonna suddenly get this switcheroo where Hayter is actually playing Big Boss in the game. Most likely it'd be that Solid Snake himself showing up in this in some capacity or something.

This is what my thought was as well. If this is some kind of ruse, I imagine that Solid Snake makes an appearance in the game somehow.

Quackula

If this is a ruse, I doubt that we're gonna suddenly get this switcheroo where Hayter is actually playing Big Boss in the game. Most likely it'd be that Solid Snake himself showing up in this in some capacity or something.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I think it's much simpler than most people are willing to accept.
Kojima found Kiefer Sutherland willing to play Snake. Kojima then promptly disposed of Hayter. Sutherland is the only person outside of Snake to do that Snake type of voice well, and, well, he's more famous.

I feel bad for Hayter.
What makes you so sure Snake is voiced by Sutherland?

Lime

If Kiefer Sutherland really is going to voice Big Boss, I'll never be able to play the game without picturing Jack Bauer. His voice will become a nuisance or distraction at best, and not an addition.

Pyrrhus

I think it's much simpler than most people are willing to accept.
Kojima found Kiefer Sutherland willing to play Snake. Kojima then promptly disposed of Hayter. Sutherland is the only person outside of Snake to do that Snake type of voice well, and, well, he's more famous.

I feel bad for Hayter. From all of the things I've heard/read about, Kojima seems like a really difficult guy to deal with.

The only person? Uh, what about Kurt Russell? Honestly, I think it could have been anybody with a Hollywood name and Kojima-sama would have been willing to shitcan Hayter or anybody else on his team. I would like to know who the asshole was who brought this proposal to him, though.

There wasn't anything clever about Moby Dick studios either.

GAF had that shit cracked in literally minutes. He thinks he's some kind of master of deception because the game magazines colluded with him 13 years ago to hide his grab for the Japanese teenage girl market.

Lime

Garbage. Kojima probably has a hard on for Kiefer or anything resembling a big Hollywood movie star and jumped at the opportunity to make use of him, damned be any character change.

Probably the most likely explanation. He has always been a fan of Hollywood, so this wouldn't come as a surprise.

Sephzilla

I agree but it just felt like they were having some fun with that. I don't think this Hayter stuff is some kind of ruse.

Like someone else said, it might be a ploy to cover up a potential Solid Snake appearance somewhere in the game. Or it's just a silly PR stunt to keep people talking about the game.

In general Kojima has been crafty a few too many times for me to buy him at his words at initial value anymore (boy who cried wolf, etc)

I just don't get Kojima. If he really wants to do something different, then why doesn't he go and work on a new IP for Pete's sake! Instead he enforces game breaking changes to MGS.

LeleSocho

Banned
Hayter is only acting as someone who is really attached to the role and it's sad that after 15 years he's been very poorly considered because he was given no explanation at all, he's more classy that most of the people would've been in his situation...

I have to say though if really Kojima changed the VA because didn't like Hayter for a serious reason and not because he talked shit about MGS4 or whatever reason then i respect him because he really wants his games be the way he thinks is the best (he's still a shit because he should've talked to Hayter about it)

However from a personal point they still have lost me as a costumer because Hayter really helped to make MGS what it is and VAs are nearly impossible to replace especially after this much time.

When I play MGSV and Hayter isn't actually in the game, then I'll be convinced.

Hayter being in it or not isn't the end of the world, I just think given Kojima's track record we shouldn't discount the idea that he's up to more of his tricks.

Pretty much this for me, too. After the whole Joakim/Moby Dick think, which was fun to read along with but in the end really served no purpose at all, I'm not writing off any possibility until I'm playing the released game.

LeleSocho

Banned
Oh and I think that anyone who believes that this is some kind of joke by Kojima is a mad man... and I was a proud member of #TeamCG.

Sephzilla

Oh and I think that anyone who believes that this is some kind of joke by Kojima is a mad man... and I was a proud member of #TeamCG.

So its wrong for people to believe a more plausible theory than #TeamCG?

(I was a #TeamCG member myself, but really this is a more logical ruse than that)

moolhy

Banned
Could this have anything to do with the movie?

Obviously Hayter won't be playing Snake in the film, and since it's Hollywood it's going to be in English primarily, so this move could be to get people accustomed to a "new" Snake before they introduce the adaptation.

Hystzen

Could this have anything to do with the movie?

Obviously Hayter won't be playing Snake in the film, and since it's Hollywood it's going to be in English primarily, so this move could be to get people accustomed to a "new" Snake before they introduce the adaptation.

I would say it's more timeline issues we are getting closer and closer to MG1 period with Young Solid Snake being part of Big Boss Foxhound. Kojima already had 2 different VAs in MGS4 for the epilogue the change now is to get people used to the new VA inside of switching it later last minute.

Hayters voice would have never made it into a movie. The audience would have laughed their way out of the cinema.

I guess the theory that they are readying us for a movie-style snake is quite plausible.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I had no idea I referred to Hayter as Snake on accident earlier on.
Tells you how much of an impact he's had on the character, at least on my part.

The only way Hayter makes an appearance is in a flashback sequence.

You mean flash forward? :p

If the doctor wasn't lying to Big Boss about the coma then Solid Snake would still be a small child in MGSV. There's no reason for Solid Snake to make an appearance, and if he did he definitely wouldn't be voiced by Hayter.

OutToLunch

Neo Member
You mean flash forward? :p

If the doctor wasn't lying to Big Boss about the coma then Solid Snake would still be a small child in MGSV. There's no reason for Solid Snake to make an appearance, and if he did he definitely wouldn't be voiced by Hayter.

Sure. I've purchased every game in the series but haven't completed any since the days of NES so im clueless about the stories and timelines. Honestly couldn't stand Hayter. Really hoping whoever they choose is an improvement.

Kinyou

Hayters voice would have never made it into a movie. The audience would have laughed their way out of the cinema.

I guess the theory that they are readying us for a movie-style snake is quite plausible.
Looking at what is currently going on in Metal Gear I wouldn't surprised if people laugh their way out anyway.

I would say it's more timeline issues we are getting closer and closer to MG1 period with Young Solid Snake being part of Big Boss Foxhound. Kojima already had 2 different VAs in MGS4 for the epilogue the change now is to get people used to the new VA inside of switching it later last minute.

If they're still planning on using Hayter as Solid eventually, they should've told him.

Hystzen

If they're still planning on using Hayter as Solid eventually, they should've told him.

Would he have admitted if he knew that he will appear later. Hayter might appear in a future game not MGS5 but future game not really set in stone yet Kojima might finally break away from MGS

1. He wasn't dumped. He wasn't working full time or with a contract for all MGS games.
2. It is my opinion that he was terrible post MGS1, you can call it shit or all you want, but it is not a single opinion but one that very much shared by plenty of people here.
3. Stay classy Hayter.

If they don't want you back, you say thank you for the opportunity and move on. You don't go public trying to get a mob of people to change people's minds.

Lord-Audie said:
If he wanted to argue about getting the gig back, there are ways to go about it that doesn't involved asking the public "how would you feel if I don't get the job?". If you're an employer and you made your choice of letting someone go, taking into consideration public response, would you be inclined to take them back after pulling that kind of stunt. He met the production. He was told that his services would not be needed. He may have presented his case, and the decision still held. How is this twitter charade staying classy?

Hmm. Being with the Metal Gear Solid franchise from the beginning and being enveloped in the series and characters for as long as he has been is more of a close mutual working relationship so if I were in his shoes, I'd want to be given a good reason to why I am not returning to voice a character I've helped give life too and helped sell and marketing for many years. To be disposed of in such a nonchalant manner without any reason is fairly disrespectful.

Your opinion may be shared by others on here, but there are also others who don't feel his performances were terrible post MGS1 (I thought he was great in each performance and would like him to come back) and just as you want him gone, we want him back. Simple as that... it goes both ways.

You seem to use this "Stay classy, Hayter" line as a dig but Kojima and the Konami team lacked just as much class in not providing someone who has been with the franchise for so long (and someone who helped establish the characters that sell the damn games) a sufficient reason as to why he will not return but instead given a form of the cold shoulder, essentially. And then they come out and give the public some strange response about wanting to change the character and yet they keep the Japanese voice actor the same; someone who just the same is important to character as Hayter is. Stick to your guns and change them both or don't change either then. Using classy as a dig, then they have been just as "classy" as Hayter has been who is well within his rights to vent his sadness. Kojima can change the characters voice on a whim and stay silent to Hayter and Hayter can say what he wants about not returning.

Also, his role is provide the public the voice of a character so if he is not coming back he can damn well go on to Twitter and see how people would respond if he wants. If they still don't want him back, he has every reason to express his sadness and annoyance on a public forum because he is no longer involved with the project. However, it isn't like he is going around saying "Damn Kojima, that asshole! I hope his game fails now!" or saying some slanderous shit. He has done nothing anywhere near that sort.

With that said, I would hope that if they bring back Solid Snake for another game they would ask Hayter to return. As I said, he is not slandering Kojima and Konami, so I can't see them permanently cutting ties with him over it his vocal disappointment in not coming back. If anything, Hayter being as he is should be almost flattering to Kojima given he created a character that Hayter loved so much that he would express such emotion in not returning to voice the character. With that said, Kojima just up and said no to him returning once so I do think Hayter should slow down a bit and leave his statement today be his peace. I don't want him to forget it though, because I wouldn't.

This just seems like too much to stuff out of place to be a ruse. I can't see them waiting to long to release this so I'm sure they are very deep in recording (if not done already) and it seems Hayter is really out of the loop so he won't be involved. Such a damn shame.

Kojima very well could change his mind, too, who knows. After every MGS since two, he's pretty much said he's not making another one and always gets pulled back in, so he could change his mind on this, too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Kojima very well could change his mind, too, who knows. After every MGS since two, he's pretty much said he's not making another one and always gets pulled back in, so he could change his mind on this, too.

Well that's a result of his staff being inept apparently when it comes to making decisions in large scale development.

I used to think it was just BS myself and that he was just a control freak

then pretty much the exact thing he described during MGS3 and MGS4's development happened with MGS Rising resulting in the cancellation of that project.

So maybe he's not lying

MechaX

What irks me is that the Japanese Snake is back, so why not Hayter? His voice is as iconic as Snakes mullet!

I think there is some credibility in the notion that seiyuu's are not replaced as often as western VAs (where a VA staying the same for years is typically only for really big name characters like Kevin Conroy Batman, where even that is not close to absolute, or truly exceptional cases like Claire Redfield having the exact same voice since RE2's release despite every character since going through like 3-4 different VAs).

At the very least, some japanese audiences have raised big ruckuses over VA replacements for relatively minor/moderately used characters (in case point, replacing Four's seiyuu in the Zeta Gundam movies despite how Four is not that major of a character even in the confines of the 50 episode series, let alone other media since then).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think there is some credibility in the notion that seiyuu's are not replaced as often as western VAs (where a VA staying the same for years is typically only for really big name characters like Kevin Conroy Batman, where even that is not close to absolute, or truly exceptional cases like Claire Redfield having the exact same voice since RE2's release despite every character since going through like 3-4 different VAs).

At the very least, some japanese audiences have raised big ruckuses over VA replacements for relatively minor/moderately used characters (in case point, replacing Four's seiyuu in the Zeta Gundam movies despite how Four is not that major of a character even in the confines of the 50 episode series, let alone other media since then).

There's that and that Akio Ohtsuka is pretty much as big as it gets in the world of Japanese Seiyuu to begin with. There's no upgrading Ohtsuka

There's no reason for a recast there.

Cyborg

Hmm. Being with the Metal Gear Solid franchise from the beginning and being enveloped in the series and characters for as long as he has been is more of a close mutual working relationship so if I were in his shoes, I'd want to be given a good reason to why I am not returning to voice a character I've helped give life too and helped sell and marketing for many years. To be disposed of in such a nonchalant manner without any reason is fairly disrespectful.

Your opinion may be shared by others on here, but there are also others who don't feel his performances were terrible post MGS1 (I thought he was great in each performance and would like him to come back) and just as you want him gone, we want him back. Simple as that... it goes both ways.

You seem to use this "Stay classy, Hayter" line as a dig but Kojima and the Konami team lacked just as much class in not providing someone who has been with the franchise for so long (and someone who helped establish the characters that sell the damn games) a sufficient reason as to why he will not return but instead given a form of the cold shoulder, essentially. And then they come out and give the public some strange response about wanting to change the character and yet they keep the Japanese voice actor the same; someone who just the same is important to character as Hayter is. Stick to your guns and change them both or don't change either then. Using classy as a dig, then they have been just as "classy" as Hayter has been who is well within his rights to vent his sadness. Kojima can change the characters voice on a whim and stay silent to Hayter and Hayter can say what he wants about not returning.

Also, his role is provide the public the voice of a character so if he is not coming back he can damn well go on to Twitter and see how people would respond if he wants. If they still don't want him back, he has every reason to express his sadness and annoyance on a public forum because he is no longer involved with the project. However, it isn't like he is going around saying "Damn Kojima, that asshole! I hope his game fails now!" or saying some slanderous shit. He has done nothing anywhere near that sort.

With that said, I would hope that if they bring back Solid Snake for another game they would ask Hayter to return. As I said, he is not slandering Kojima and Konami, so I can't see them permanently cutting ties with him over it his vocal disappointment in not coming back. If anything, Hayter being as he is should be almost flattering to Kojima given he created a character that Hayter loved so much that he would express such emotion in not returning to voice the character. With that said, Kojima just up and said no to him returning once so I do think Hayter should slow down a bit and leave his statement today be his peace. I don't want him to forget it though, because I wouldn't.

This just seems like too much to stuff out of place to be a ruse. I can't see them waiting to long to release this so I'm sure they are very deep in recording (if not done already) and it seems Hayter is really out of the loop so he won't be involved. Such a damn shame.

Nice post! Nailed it.
Kojima-san seems to lost his honor

MechaX

There's that and that Akio Ohtsuka is pretty much as big as it gets in the world of Japanese Seiyuu to begin with. There's no upgrading Ohtsuka

There's no reason for a recast there.

I definitely agree. However, that still goes back to the non-answer Kojima provided at the GT interview. Whether something was lost in translation, I don't know (and he would come across as much worse if he explicitly noted that Ohtsuka is just a superior VA to Hayter). I would think that Kojima just explaining that he wanted a new direction for western audiences would have been better. Or even an explanation being like "He's Solid Snake, but we do not feel like he is a good choice for older Big Boss" would have been the most sensible choice.

But instead, he gives an answer which really does not make much sense in the grand scheme of things, especially if Ohtsuka voices Snake/Big Boss in the exact same way he has been doing for the past decade and a half. That, in combination with how they did not give Hayter much of a reason for declining his future services, does not really make Kojima look all that great.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of thinking that twitlonger thing is an April Fools joke with him signing the date at the end of it

I'll be so disappointed if I'm right

Top Bottom