• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
FTWer said:
*smh*

Is it so hard to enjoy both linear & non-linear design in a game?
It has to be only one or another with some it seems.

Pretty sure I never said that it was a problem with having both. Chapter 11 just wasn't good in my opinion, the open world aspect I said was nice but it was terrible overall because of the difficulty spike.

FuttBuck said:
Pretty sure I never said that it was a problem with having both. Chapter 11 just wasn't good in my opinion, the open world aspect I said was nice but it was terrible overall because of the difficulty spike.
How, exactly, was there a difficulty spike? If you grind the floating ladybug creatures in the western corner, then the King Behemoth vs. wolf fight north of that, you're set for the rest of the chapter. Honestly, Chapter 11 is hard if you attempt fights you KNOW you can't win. The game doesn't just leave you high and dry. You just have to pick your fights better.

Himuro said:
Do certain weapons require certain materials or is this universal no matter the weapon?

Stage 1 -> Stage 2 weapons require one of 6 or so catalysts. When you try to upgrade a star level weapon you'll only be able to use that specific component.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ZephyrFate said:
Man, I'd love to hear some of you guys who can't stand leader=KO death play an SMT game, where it makes even more sense for this to happen. Those games would destroy you. :lol Of all the gripes with the battle system, you all chose THAT in particular?

:lol :lol

It was just a really stupid mechanic earlier on when you only had two people. When you finally got a medic to learn raise, then...well, it was completely useless until you were able to have 3 members, and even THEN it's only there to be be used if a single specific person dies. You either need to use a phoenix down(or another medic, if possible) to revive the normal medic if he dies, or you let the medic actually cast it on the person who died. The only other scenario is the party leader falling, which already means you lost. Atleast, until you're around 20 hours in and can actually set your own party and make the medic the leader, but I'd rather not do that.

It's also not necessarily the mechanic of it, it's more that it's at odds with the actual battle system. Not nearly as bad as the AoE attacks hitting everyone that you can't control, but that can sometimes compound on top of the leader meaning game over if your whole party is getting pounded, the medic decides to heal someone else over the leader, and then you all lose.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Himuro said:
I keep hearing about this tower in chapter 11 that's an actual honest to goodness dungeon, but I won't believe it until I see it. Either way, I'm just amazed that S-E thought it was a good idea for the player to wade through 20-25 hours of tedium in order to get to the part where the game really begins. What's with that?
I wouldn't call it a true dungeon... it's the same XIII go forward stuff. There is a little back and forth.

Rpgmonkey

The Gold Watch adds like...a few seconds.

Some of the stupid HP Tanks like the Juggernaut are still a pain to get five stars with.

ZephyrFate said:
Man, I'd love to hear some of you guys who can't stand leader=KO death play an SMT game, where it makes even more sense for this to happen. Those games would destroy you. :lol Of all the gripes with the battle system, you all chose THAT in particular?

:lol :lol

I have, and as you said, it at least makes some sort of sense in those. Not to mention it feels like there's better and less complicated options for defense to make up for that aspect. It can still be just as annoying every now and then.

You could also see RoF, which has pre-defined individual characters like FFXIII, but it at least goes with a logical take on this concept and makes it Game Over if any of the three characters are KO'd.

I feel there are other notable problems with the battle system and the game in general (which are brought up just as often, btw), this is simply one out of several, and it's an aspect that's intertwined with some other problems with the game. I found little to like or find logical about the implementation of this idea in FFXIII.

Zen

Banned
Having just beat Chapter 9, two things:

1) The story is great, so far.
2) The battle system is fantastic, I'm not sure what complaints people have with it aside from leader=ko, but I haven't run into any problems with how they've balanced things. It really really shines
fighting the Falcie

momolicious said:
Why when i enter this thread there are pictures of the very last few chapters and everyone talking about the last chapters.

Well the most talked about topics in this thread seem to be help with Chapter "X' boss, addressing issues with marks and item upgrades.

jorgeton

Wow Chapter 11 was great. I was a little overwhelmed at first, but it really hits that grinding sweet spot. My favorite part of every FF game is the endgame grind to make your characters godlike. This did not disappoint.

And while exploring gran pulse, i had one thought above all others -- I really hope FF Versus XIII is a prequel. Or somehow connected to the past in this game. There is a lot of history in Pulse, and unless chapters 12 and 13 really go into it, there could be a whole 'nother game explaining what happened down there. And I'm seeing hints of
contemporary looking structures. there's that one ruin that resembles a hollowed out office building and Oerba seemed to be pretty tech advanced.. before it was destroyed and all. and oh yeah, you fight the chapter's last boss on a broken freeway. whole thing gave me a huge fallout 3 vibe.
here's hoping FFvXIII or other games in the Fabula novis whatevs build on the universe established.

Cynar

Neil said:
Just completed the game. Seems like I'm never going to get the achievement for completing chapter 12. I'm absolutely furious.

Just to help confirm, there is no achievement for 12. :O

Zoe

jorgeton said:
here's hoping FFvXIII or other games in the Fabula novis whatevs build on the universe established.

Versus isn't in the same universe. It only shares the mythology.

jorgeton

Zoe said:
Versus isn't in the same universe. It only shares the mythology.

does that mean it'll have fal'cie and la'cie? i guess no one knows at this point.

im just hoping they tie it back to FF13/pulse
the huge war hundreds of years past.
this all has the makings of an epic, cross-game story and i'd be kind of annoyed if they didn't take advantage of it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jorgeton said:
im just hoping they tie it back to FF13/pulse
the huge war hundreds of years past.
this all has the makings of an epic, cross-game story and i'd be kind of annoyed if they didn't take advantage of it.

Ain't happening.

Zoe

Versus is too high-tech for it to be a past Pulse. The prologue book says
Vanille and Fang have no idea how the train near their home works and nobody ever rides them.

Owzers

IronFistedChampion said:
I'm at the end of Chapter 4 right now fighting
Lightning's summon
. Any tips on how to beat this thing?

I had to use the offense and defense boosting shrouds prior to the battle, it was always my last resort and was needed for most of the summons Xo

I plowed through every Eidolon fight in the game with strategy. Yes, even Vanille's fight. You'd better learn some strategy now, instead of relying on Shrouds, because the game actually becomes a real challenge later on.

Magnus

Alright, so there are multiple trash encounters in Chapter 13 where your leader can get focus fired and killed within 5 seconds, having to deal with in excess of 5-6000 damage in that timespan.

I've had to use Deceptisol (glad I never used aerosols till this chapter) to get past some of these encounters, but am now facing a mandatory one.

This is ridiculous.

grumble

Unknown Soldier said:
I plowed through every Eidolon fight in the game with strategy. Yes, even Vanille's fight. You'd better learn some strategy now, instead of relying on Shrouds, because the game actually becomes a real challenge later on.

I still don't get how Vanille's fight was so hard. I beat it on my first try (granted by 40 on the counter). Just SAB/SEN then MED/SEN alternating with RAV/COM, mash square when the time gets low. If you're really aggressive, then you'll make it.

sillymonkey321 said:
I had to use the offense and defense boosting shrouds prior to the battle, it was always my last resort and was needed for most of the summons Xo
Thanks, it worked. I accidently upgraded the wrong role on Hope and I had to rely on this to beat it. >.>

Magnus

Never mind, looks like my shit was bugged. My SEN wouldn't grab the bitch's attention for five tries, and magically did this time.

grumble said:
I still don't get how Vanille's fight was so hard. I beat it on my first try (granted by 40 on the counter). Just SAB/SEN then MED/SEN alternating with RAV/COM, mash square when the time gets low. If you're really aggressive, then you'll make it.

You're preaching to the choir here, I did Vanille's Eidolon on my second try, and I did it with RAV/SEN and MED/SEN. I had about 400 to spare on the Doom counter.

Cloudy

Banned
Wow, owned again by the chap 9 boss after I almost had him. I'm gonna go grind and maybe use a synergist healer so I can cast shell etc... >_<

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I just got back into this game. I kinda stopped playing at chapter 11 because of all the "lack of direction" you suddenly get, along with the added toughness. I just jumped in and have been grinding with a huge grin on my face. I'm having fun completing the missions, accessing Chocobos, and slowly being able to kill Behemoth Kings (as long as they're fighting the giant wolf thing) and other creatures. Just getting tougher. I'm now addicted to it and am not looking forward to beating the game shortly.

Also, I have never really found the game too challenging. If you use strategy, the encounters aren't very tough but fun. I like the challenge of trying to figure what strategy(combo of members) can take down the boss. The ones where you're forced to play with imbalanced parties were the best. It's just strategy, no use in grinding or anything since you're level-capped and there are no different members. I love this game.

FUCK YES.

I have gotten to the point where i can kill the turtles with no problem with my fang/light/hope team in 2 and a half minutes with a little TP grinding in between. Sadly, the platinum ingot drop rate fucking sucks despite me having two characters with star level collector catalogs.

So far i have 7 weapons per character with 8 stared and 4 ultimate weapons already made. When i learned how much that 8th weapon per character costs, my anger at those fucking turtles reignited.

SLOW AND STEADY GAMER, PLAY IT COOL

Skilletor

I HAVE MADE IT TO CHAPTER 11!

I didn't think I would. It was a rough ride. I almost quit when they made me play as Sazh and Vanille, but I battled on. And then I almost quit when they made me play as Sazh and Vanille, but I persevered. And then I almost quit when they made me play as Snow and Hope, but then I saw Fang, and I strode purposely forward. And then I almost quit when they made me play as Sazh and Vanille.

But that is history, for I am ON GRAN PULSE and I will be sure to make Vanille get eaten by the nearest Behemoth, and that Sazh dies gloriously trying to be a hero!

TO BATTLE!

9zwo5i.gif

Magnus

Final boss is wonderfully easy until it chooses to target your leader 15 minutes into the fight with some kind of instant death bullshit.

I can't wait to see how this game ends so I never have to play it again. :lol

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Is there any particular reason to start posts like that? Or was it just coincidence:

CAPS!

Few sentences.

Repeat.

CAPS!

I think the only reason why I would never replay XIII is because of the horrible limiting setup they got going on. If they had a New Game+, then maybe I would bother with it, but I just don't feel like going through Ch 1-10 ever again.

Rpgmonkey

Magnus said:
I can't wait to see how this game ends

With your hands.

hateradio said:
I think the only reason why I would never replay XIII is because of the horrible limiting setup they got going on. If they had a New Game+, then maybe I would bother with it, but I just don't feel like going through Ch 1-10 ever again.

I made an extra save right when I got on Pulse because of that. :D

But then I realized I could redo any mission and the only ones that were any fun are the ones that are still challenging even at my level, so it was a waste of space and I don't know if I have any reason at all to ever touch this game again now. :lol

Papercuts

Alright, broke 30 hours and got to mission 15. I'm having a lot of fun now just riding around on my chocobo killing stuff, definitely agree with Himuro that this should have been in the game earlier, if only just a few small optional parts. Just roaming around doing whatever you want at your own pace feels great to me right now.

Himuro said:
Where the hell are missions 11-14?!

Feels like I've been on the Archylte Steppe(main area) for awhile, IIRC all of those are at that spot somewhere.

pelicansurf said:
I'm having fun completing the missions, accessing Chocobos, and slowly being able to kill Behemoth Kings (as long as they're fighting the giant wolf thing)

Haha, I don't get this at all! I can't kill that bastard, though I haven't tried it in awhile. I am able to kill 2 full health behemoth kings, but not the half life one with the wolf--I always just stagger and kill before they go apeshit, it's nearly impossible to prevent on that one.

Papercuts

Himuro said:
Tomorrow I am going to get me a Chocobo and rock the house, 'cuz it's marathon to end game time after that.

Yup, go for it! I skipped 11 and 13 and just did 12 and 14 for the chocobo, roaming around for the rest is easy after that.

Magnus

I have absolutely no idea how to counter this incredibly cheap death spell the final boss is rocking. Someone help, please. I'll probably kill myself if I have to endure another 10-minute replay of this fight, just to have it arbitrarily ended by a single spell whenever the boss wants.

:(

Orphan's Progenitorial Wrath -- around 40% health or so each time (done this three times now), he targets my leader, and Light goes down. Bam, that's it.

Rpgmonkey

Magnus said:
I have absolutely no idea how to counter this incredibly cheap death spell the final boss is rocking. Someone help, please. I'll probably kill myself if I have to endure another 10-minute replay of this fight, just to have it arbitrarily ended by a single spell whenever the boss wants.

:(

Orphan's Progenitorial Wrath -- around 40% health or so each time (done this three times now), he targets my leader, and Light goes down. Bam, that's it.

See if you have some Death-resistant stuff, or just keep attempting it and hope that it doesn't stick. Not really anything else you can do. :/

Le-mo

My gah, I hate the Sazh and Vanille combination. FKING hate it. Didn't play the game for a few days because of Vanille's voice acting. Just got through the part where
Sazh shot himself in the head
someone PLEASE tell me there will be no more Sazh and Vanille combination.

Styles

Le-mo said:
My gah, I hate the Sazh and Vanille combination. FKING hate it. Didn't play the game for a few days because of Vanille's voice acting. Just got through the part where
Sazh shot himself in the head
someone PLEASE tell me there will be no more Sazh and Vanille combination.

It's that painful?....

You'll have to endure another session with them.

Himuro said:
My hands promptly on the ps button once the credits end.

My hands hold the ps button.

Then they press exit game.

Then eject disc.

And finally, they put the game in its case, to be sold the next day at gamestop for decent trade in value, never to be opened again unless happened upon by a poor sod who wants to buy FF13 for five dollars less than full price.

My Hands a poem by Himuro

The good news is that after about 10 pages of every other post being Himuro complaining about the game, we might be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Finally. :lol

Le-mo

Vect said:
It's that painful?....

You'll have to endure another session with them.
Her voice is intolerable. I wanna choke slam the person who chose the Australian girl to voiced her. I literally spent seven hours farming in Chapter 7 because I knew I would have to use Vanille afterwards. I will do the same in Chapter 8. Worst Final Fantasy character EVER!

Himuro said:
Serious question in regards to writing quality.

I am at the point now where I am unable to tell the difference between Final Fantasy stories and Tales of stories. Can someone please tell me FF gets a pass whereas Star Ocean games, for instance, don't?

I mean, both are horribly plotted and written, so why do some people insist and even convince themselves that FF is good and above other jrpgs when you have cutscenes like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9NFPa5yM8w

versus something in Star Ocean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUgmSvC8i90

Because man, I can't tell the difference. If your argument is that the chick in Star Ocean is sexualized whereas Vanille isn't, you're on drugs, probably good ones too.

Oh man. That girl in Star Ocean is the main reason why I didn't pick it up at full price. Nothing ruins a game more for me than HORRIBLE voice acting and dialogue. If I knew Vanille's voice over would be this intolerable I would have definitely not picked up Final Fantasy XIII at full price. And regarding Final Fantasy XIII storyline I have NO idea what the fux is going on besides the La'Cie attempting to "save" Cocoon. Thank god for the awesome gameplay mechanics or I wouldn't spend another minute on this game.

Holy shit, half of the current page is Himuro bitching about the game. :lol Taking a break from farming Trapezohedrons to rock some Ninja Gaiden II, but I'm sure I'll be back. It's an addiction. Really my only complaint about the game, but I have only myself to complain for being so dead set on 1000/1000 for a new Final Fantasy. -.-

Styles

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Holy shit, half of the current page is Himuro bitching about the game. :lol Taking a break from farming Trapezohedrons to rock some Ninja Gaiden II, but I'm sure I'll be back. It's an addiction. Really my only complaint about the game, but I have only myself to complain for being so dead set on 1000/1000 for a new Final Fantasy. -.-

Same. :( Last trophy is such a pain in the ass to get.

Papercuts

DimmuBurgerKing said:

After getting 1000 on Vesperia, I refused to go for it on an RPG ever again...insanely tedious task for pretty much every RPG.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand the Vanille hate at all. Yeah, her VA is pretty blech with a nonsensical accent that comes and goes, but other than that, I don't see it. She's not even all that cutesy or hyper, especially when compared to characters like Selphie and Rikku.

She's just got a stupid voice.

Hope is a far more detestable character (at least until he becomes a vaguely tolerable human being after chapter 7, even though he then acquires Snow's "broken record syndrome").

Meier

Final boss fight is cruel...
no save in between?! I'm so tired, doubt I'll be able to beat Orphan on my first try :(

Magnus

Alright, I persisted, I killed it, I'm done with this game.

I have an unusually low amount of questions to ask after seeing this ending, in comparison to the abundance of questions I was eager to think about and ask after the endings of previous FFs.

I'll read over the spoiler tagged shit earlier in the thread, since it'll probably answer some of my questions, but I'll ask anyway too:

Ending Spoilers:
Ok....so their focus was indeed to have one (or more, as the case was) of them to become Ragnarok (how? who knows) and kill Orphan, thereby bringing about the destruction of the Fal'cie and Cocoon, a task unachievable by the Fal'cie alone, and an event that would summon the Maker back into the world (why? I forget)

So...this more or less happens.

1. Where is the Maker? Why wasn't it summoned? And who cares?

2. Where are the remaining Fal'cie? Was Orphan connected to all Cocoon Fal'cie?

3. Why were four party members and Dajh/Serah released from their crystal slumber? They achieved their focus. Snow does return to the party back in Chapter 7 raving about how he's found a way for Serah to 'come back'...how, why, where, when? Is this what happened?

4. I'm assuming Cocoon is more or less...destroyed? I mean, at least uninhabitable? It went through a raging firestorm of Ragnarok, is basically frozen or some shit now....but the people were saved, I guess. Is the 'new world' they were given basically a Fal'cie-less Gran Pulse?

5. Why the fuck don't we get to see any of the aftermath, any of the lives we saved, any of the future events in our party members' lives? The wedding, a reunion of father and son, of sisters, and of an engaged couple? It's over so fast, what the shit.

Just as with the actual gameplay, logic and coherence are thrown out of the window in this story to allow for something beautiful to look at. I mean, shit it was poetic and visually astounding, but what the fuck?

What a melodramatic, overhyped joke. I had some fun, and some of the later bosses were cool, but I doubt I'll ever replay this polished turd in the future.

I can easily call this my worst disappointment in gaming in my entire life.

But why does it have to be so fucking pretty?!!!!!!

jiggle

Magnus said:
Ending Spoilers:
and an event that would summon the Maker back into the world (why? I forget)

So...this more or less happens.

1. Where is the Maker? Why wasn't it summoned? And who cares?

2. Where are the remaining Fal'cie? Was Orphan connected to all Cocoon Fal'cie?

4. I'm assuming Cocoon is more or less...destroyed? I mean, at least uninhabitable? It went through a raging firestorm of Ragnarok, is basically frozen or some shit now....but the people were saved, I guess. Is the 'new world' they were given basically a Fal'cie-less Gran Pulse?

5. Why the fuck don't we get to see any of the aftermath, any of the lives we saved, any of the future events in our party members' lives? The wedding, a reunion of father and son, of sisters, and of an engaged couple? It's over so fast, what the shit.

to me
the fal'cie are like abandoned childs that want to find their parent, it's their entire motivation since the very beginning

1) the maker created the worlds for human and left it in the care of fal'cie
he went on to create more worlds for more human/falcie (presumably in vsXIII + agito)
the fal'cie hoped to get his attention with the death of millions of human (since the maker seem to care more for them)
that obviously didn't happen, so he didn't come back (and who's to say he will even if cocoon did get destroy)

2) orphan is what gives power to all the fal'cie in cocoon
that's why we saw cocoon falling once orphan died

4) iirc , ragnorak didn't do anything to cocoon. she destroyed the mobs that was attacking it. the ppl lives on, but now need to face the future without a babysitter. i think gran pulse fal'cie are still there, since they're not tied to orphan.

5) we saw the entire human population on cocoon saved >.> not everything need to be spelled out literally imo. plus, they're probably saving stuffs for a sequel or dlc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom