• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

CipherT

Neo Member
How the hell can GI give that kind of review... after giving games in the series of CoD and BF 9s and 10s all the time? I guess they didn't get paid or something to give it a high score :p

zeopower6

Geez, did you guys had to look that much into my comment? If I just post what I don't like you guys are just going to rebate it point by point. That's not what I'm asking, I'm just asking why is this game supposedly so good. Why this is better than the average JRPG I can get on the system. Thanks.

I guess I can't be blamed if I don't trust game reviewers anymore. So I'm asking for real opinions.

Well, it's mainly the words you chose.

"worst game this generation" / "it was simply bad".

Just tell people what you didn't like about it and they'll inform you if it's different in the full game.

The reason why people think it's so good, I'm guessing is because we haven't had a pure RPG like this in AGES let alone with Ghibli-collaborated animation (not Miyazaki) and art direction.

------------

By the way, the lack of save points was just for dungeons. You can save anywhere on the world map but you can't save in too many places in dungeons because obviously, it's a dungeon. Actually, most RPGs I've played have had that sort of mechanic so I don't get why it's such an issue for Ni no Kuni.

Geez, did you guys had to look that much into my comment? If I just post what I don't like you guys are just going to rebate it point by point. That's not what I'm asking, I'm just asking why is this game supposedly so good. Why this is better than the average JRPG I can get on the system. Thanks.

I guess I can't be blamed if I don't trust game reviewers anymore. So I'm asking for real opinions.

The main appeal of the game is the joint collaboration between Studio Ghibli and Level 5. The pokemon-like Familiar system in battles and quirky characters drawn in Ghibli's style makes this stand out.

It's gorgeous & it's an Action/RPG take on Pokemon. Either that appeals to you or it doesn't.

How is this game's level design? Is there any? The forest in the demo looked great but it felt very boxed in and "pathy" to me, i'm not expecting skyrim but environments like ff xii would be perfect. That's a ps2 game so it's not a lot to ask for.

Rubius

Does it matter if it gets a 9.4 or a 9.7? Does it give you a different experience when playing the game yourself?

Review-Scale.png

Well, it's mainly the words you chose.

"worst game this generation" / "it was simply bad".

Just tell people what you didn't like about it and they'll inform you if it's different in the full game.

The reason why people think it's so good, I'm guessing is because we haven't had a pure RPG like this in AGES let alone with Ghibli-collaborated animation (not Miyazaki) and art direction.

- Could you please elaborate on the bolded?
- How is the pacing of the cutscenes? In a more neutral way or your typical JRPG pacing?
- Can you explain which is the smart way to exploit the battle system? (ie, how it's better than just keep spamming your default attack and heal when necessary)
- Can you get stuck if your familiars are not the right kind or don't have the right abilities? If so, is it easy to get other ones up to the challenge or you basically have to grind a lot if you made any "mistake"?
- Does the story inevitable turn into your cliche "let's save the world"? Or it keeps itself more personal?

It's gorgeous & it's an Action/RPG take on Pokemon. Either that appeals to you or it doesn't.

I envy you if you can play a game for 100% just because it's "gorgeous". For me it's not a selling point at all. Judging from the demo, there's very little action to call it an Action/RPG. What makes it "Action/RPG" for you?

zeopower6

Wow, I can't imagine how long that would take with my connection. Brings back painful memories of when I downloaded Okami HD... 8 long hours for a 7 gig game.

The Western version will be even bigger!

For some reason, they quoted the Japanese All In One version's size of 19GB. I think the Western one should at least be 20... maybe 21-22?

The Western version will be even bigger!

For some reason, they quoted the Japanese All In One version's size of 19GB. I think the Western one should at least be 20... maybe 21-22?

i say about 22-24GB since they have japanese and english audio.

Also if you're in the US and don't mind using your facebook account.

you can enter for a chance to win the Wizard Edition.

http://ht.ly/gQ9qz

RPGCrazied

38gigs, lol. I never understood paying $60 for a digital product, and I'll never pay that much. I like having the disc. Never know if you ever lose your hard drive, and have no internet connection, then you can't play.

zeopower6

38gigs, lol. I never understood paying $60 for a digital product, and I'll never pay that much. I like having the disc. Never know if you ever lose your hard drive, and have no internet connection, then you can't play.

I know, I personally hate digital distribution because a) I have like 10GB left on my launch PS3's hard drive, and b) LIMITED INTERNET USAGE. 150GB a month upload and download combined so it's not like I can just download a crapton of these 10-20GB+ games that are free from PS+... :(

Or the disc/reader gets lost/stolen/broken amiright? :)

I envy you if you can play a game for 100% just because it's "gorgeous". For me it's not a selling point at all. Judging from the demo, there's very little action to call it an Action/RPG. What makes it "Action/RPG" for you?

Action/RPG as in you directly control your characters in battle & it's not turn-based. It's an Action/RPG ala the Tales games or Star Ocean rather than Kingdom Hearts.

Major selling points to Ni no Kuni:
Gorgeous Visuals & Music from Level-5 & Studio Ghibli
Big budget old-School RPG style in a generation where most traditional Japanese RPGs are on portable systems (it's been years since we gotten something this traditional with this big of a budget on a home console. Probably Last Odyssey in 2008 was the most recent one unless you count Xenoblade).
Capture hundreds of monsters and use them in battle ala Pokemon

If you want fine details on the game, you're going to have to find a reviewer who got an advance copy or someone who has played through the Japanese version because the game comes out in the US next week. But really, if the visuals aren't doing it for you and you hated the demo, you should probably just skip it.

zeopower6

This game longer or shorter than Persona 4 on average?

40 to get through story, 80++++ to finish all sidequest-y things.

- Could you please elaborate on the bolded?
- How is the pacing of the cutscenes? In a more neutral way or your typical JRPG pacing?
- Can you explain which is the smart way to exploit the battle system? (ie, how it's better than just keep spamming your default attack and heal when necessary)
- Can you get stuck if your familiars are not the right kind or don't have the right abilities? If so, is it easy to get other ones up to the challenge or you basically have to grind a lot if you made any "mistake"?
- Does the story inevitable turn into your cliche "let's save the world"? Or it keeps itself more personal?

Uhhh, I feel like this sort of RPG hasn't really been released in a long time (or ever really). A lush world map, gorgeous music, innocent characters, a unique battle system, you name an RPG mechanic that was a big part of why (J)RPGs got rather big and it's in here! Though you may beg to differ.

Not sure what you mean by 'neutral pacing' or anything, but they apparently changed the pacing of the cutscenes and some comedy sketches of the game to suit Western tastes. (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/08/ni-no-kuni-the-interview Read this interview.)

Explot the battle system? Not sure what you mean... get types that are strong against the types in the area?

You can't really get stuck, I think... you could even try to finish the game without using Familiars at all! But that would require a ton of items, haha.

I think the story remains personal to Oliver since this is his own personal "Ni no Kuni/Other World". The story gets nice and juicy I hear in the end... wish I could say more lol.

The game is beautiful no doubt. It's just one of many things that people LOVE about this game. If not the graphics, the music. If not the music, the really gorgeous backgrounds/attention to detail. It's just so wonderful. >_<~~

Peagles

Only the newer models with 12GB flash memory will run without a harddrive. All other models will refuse to boot.

If, I say, I have a 40GB phatty PS3, and put Ni No Kuni in, do I have to install it to play though, or can I just play it off the disc?

(It's my partner's PS3 so I'm not sure of the ins and outs)

Necrovex

This game longer or shorter than Persona 4 on average?

Really difficult to say. Persona 4 (OG) took me around 45 hours, and P4G took me 61 hours. Until I (or anyone else who has played both P4(G) and NNK) play Ni No Kuni, it will be impossible to truly answer your question.

If, I say, I have a 40GB phatty PS3, and put Ni No Kuni in, do I have to install it to play though, or can I just play it off the disc?

You can just play it off the disc.

I have a good ol' 40GB phatty as well, but digital was the only way I was going to be able to play this Day 1. Now I'm fucked.

zeopower6

Uh, didn't Persona 4 Golden have a ton of stuff added to it too...?

There's also a lot of VN-ish qualities in P4 IMO that may extend the time you'd have to play it.

About the Familiars, I think there's a specific class of them aka the bosses that you cannot befriend, but most of the ones you run into on the world map are fair game.

SxP

You can just play it off the disc.

I have a good ol' 40GB phatty as well, but digital was the only way I was going to be able to play this Day 1. Now I'm fucked.

Disc based games might require installs as well. Can anyone confirm/deny a mandatory install?

Disc based games might require installs as well. Can anyone confirm/deny a mandatory install?

True, but in case it does the size of the mandatory install will be nowhere as near as the size of the full game, which is what he's afraid of:

Wait, so if I have the physical copy, how much space do I need? Do I have to install 19GB?

If so I won't be playing this for a long time until I can afford a new PS3 or another HDD :(

bon

I preordered at Gamestop today and they gave me the steel case upfront. Really excited for this game.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Okay I've done some research on this. So my choices are either to get the Steelbook case or Flutterby as the preorder.

Is Flutterby something that can't be got in the game otherwise?

I don't really care for either preorder to be honest. Damn you Canada. :(

Rubius

Okay I've done some research on this. So my choices are either to get the Steelbook case or Flutterby as the preorder.

Is Flutterby something that can't be got in the game otherwise?

I don't really care for either preorder to be honest. Damn you Canada. :(

The preorder pets are exclusive. So yeah, cant get them in game without the DLC.

zeopower6

Watch this review guys, the son of gun vomits some major plot points in the beginnning of the game.

Actually, all that stuff that happens in the beginning of the game isn't that spoilerish. D: It's pretty much part of most of the trailers of the game.

Oh! I don't understand why the PS3 version is being called a 'port'. They were both built from scratch around the same 'story axle' or whatever. Yes, they share plots but the PS3 version is the more complete version of that story, I believe. There's also a misunderstanding about the story... Level-5 wrote the narrative and Ghibli provided animation/conceptual art for Level-5 to base the game on. Ghibli did not write anything for this game as far as I know.

Tex117

Banned
It took me just north of 40 hours to beat Ni No Kuni, and there’s still more for me to do. I didn’t complete every last side quest and I didn’t cruise through the entirety of the game’s battle arena. Word out of Japan is that the game’s coveted Platinum Trophy could take 80 hours to get, but know this: 40 hours with Ni No Kuni won’t allow you to see nearly all the game has to offer.
From IGN.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/15/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-review

Top Bottom