• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: Seven minutes of Survival gameplay on Altar of Flame - IGN First

Didn't everything in D1 launch was 6 v 6. Didn't 3 v 3 come out with HoW or did they have skirmish in before that?

You can clearly have a PARTY of 6 people due to raids. Don't be surprised to see it come as a mode.

Mode looks fun. I liked the trials eque stuff in D1 more so than anything else. Was not a fan of regular PvP. Too chaotic.

D1 vanilla had skirmish 3v3, sabotage 3v3, and rumble ffa. So no.

Yeah, that's it. I kinda wish Bungie would have created a few other options to go along with these and allowed the player to choose (instead of relegating one to each class) which global ability they wanted to use when they were creating a player and locking it in at that point. It would certainly make builds more interesting.

Yeah, or even a third option for each class ability would be cool, or in theory, even a whole upgrade tree for it. But I do like how it is currently too. A well placed empowering rift has won me games.

Foxxsoxx

Interesting game mode idea for D2 but man that map looks boring AF. Vex maps could look so cool yet they somehow make them look so bland.

Defuser

So Titans can form a barricade and Warlocks can heal or power up their teammates, and Hunters can...roll away?

Admittedly I didn't use the Hunter at all sooo is this as crappy as it sounds in comparison to the other two?
Shadestep instant reloads your primary weapon.
Instantly activates while Barricade and Warlock rifts has a startup.
Damn useful considering Shadestep can save your life by getting out of situations from enemy fire/ambush.
Helps you close the gap between you and your opponent if you have a shotgun/fusion/close range weapon.
Throw your opponent's prediction of your movement off guard when dueling.

So Titans can form a barricade and Warlocks can heal or power up their teammates, and Hunters can...roll away?

Admittedly I didn't use the Hunter at all sooo is this as crappy as it sounds in comparison to the other two?

I mained a titan in D1 but had all three at 400.

I was able to wreck in D2 crucible with a hunter. Getting away form a skirmish is huge in pvp right now, also it reloads or give you another knife. The golden gun super can kill 2-3 people almost every time with range. the knife explodes now, chains of woe gives reload speed boost to allies.

the triple jump is pretty good too.

also cloaks.

Foxxsoxx

Damn useful considering Shadestep can save your life by getting out of situations from enemy fire/ambush.
Helps you close the gap between you and your opponent if you have a shotgun/fusion/close range weapon.

Shadestep doesn't reload your weapon, that's the dash dodge.

Shadestep recharges melee if you're close to an enemy.

Shadestep was also nerfed in both range, invisibility being removed,and aim assist seems to be implemented against it now.

What I'm trying to say is that it's bad, real bad now.

You'd think so, but when that Hunter juuuust rolls a hair out of your super...

So crappy if you're a team player. You are giving up quite a lot of support ability picking hunter. But pretty sweet if you're that Hunter.

People say it is, but honestly, I was able to roll into cover so many times in fights where I know I would have died playing the other two classes. It doesn't benefit the team, but does everything need to benefit everyone to be in the game?

Hmm, ok I can kind of see the individual benefit although I'm not completely convinced the payoff is worth it – I think I'd still much rather have either of the other two. And these abilities are in PVE too, right? I'm not sure how psyched I'd be to have a team full of Hunters when the shit hits the fan. You all roll once and then you're just vulnerable again? Meh, maybe it's just not my play style. If Hunter players feel it's balanced though then I guess that's all you can ask for.

Ok so it doesn't sound too shabby if you're primarily playing PVP.

Dirtbag

People complained relentlessly about D1 crucible being Super and grenade fest.

well the focus is back on primary gun play and people are mad.

Bungie cant win.

granted they make some really fucking stupid decisions.

Bungie has never been big on giving into fan requests regarding mechanics. This is their vision and I think it looks like a been there, done that, and what's unique about this feeling for me

So...

Another flat as a washboard map that revolves around sitting behind chest-high cover with a pulse rifle and shooting down a lane until somebody dies

Okay, feels like then I didn't miss out on trying the PVP. Not a huge fan of competitive modes in RPGs where item stats matter, just makes it unfair in my opinion. Prefer more when doing it like Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft and recently FFXIV that just has a standard set of equipment for everyone depending on class.

I can understand however why, in Destiny 2 it wouldn't be as much fun considering the vast amount of different weapons with different characteristics and in PvP I guess you wanna use those specific weapons. And they would be a living hell to balance.

That's not entirely right.

Stats and perks matter but power is normalized. So that shitty starter rifle can go toe to toe with the purple power monster.

Better weapons have some perks that mostly don't affect ttk (luck in the chamber is the big exception there. But it's a big random roll) so they probably handle better, but the ttk is going to be the same. The differences are all subtle.

So a max light character will have better gear, but the purple gun is maybe 10 percent better than the green gun in the same class in pvp

Didn't everything in D1 launch was 6 v 6. Didn't 3 v 3 come out with HoW or did they have skirmish in before that?

You can clearly have a PARTY of 6 people due to raids. Don't be surprised to see it come as a mode.

Mode looks fun. I liked the trials eque stuff in D1 more so than anything else. Was not a fan of regular PvP. Too chaotic.
They're clearly talking about pvp with the 4v4 comment. Raids will still be 6 man teams as far as we know.

I don't mind some modes being 4v4 but having that cover all of pvp sucks, quite honestly. Give us a mode with 6v6 or higher. What's the point of clans for predominantly pvp players if we can't actually play with a large amount of clanmates at once? Lol

Tawpgun

They're clearly talking about pvp with the 4v4 comment. Raids will still be 6 man teams as far as we know.

I don't mind some modes being 4v4 but having that cover all of pvp sucks, quite honestly. Give us a mode with 6v6 or higher. What's the point of clans if we can't actually play with a large amount of clanmates at once? Lol.

Yeah, I'm saying there shouldn't be a technical limitation to allowing 6 v 6.

I think 4 v 4 is a better size for the standard PvP, but I would be surprised to see them not include a 6 v 6 option at some point.

So...

Another flat as a washboard map that revolves around sitting behind chest-high cover with a pulse rifle and shooting down a lane until somebody dies

At least there are no doors! Progress!

I do think Endless Vale is pretty flat. This one as well. But Midtown was a little more classic Destiny map. Most Destiny 1 maps that come to mind weren't THAT vertical.

I think we are going to see way more events that are Trials of Osiris based and keeping the normal crucible at 4v4 will make sure people are used to that format. Going from the regular crucible in Destiny 1 to Trials is one hell of a shell shock

I do think Endless Vale is pretty flat. This one as well. But Midtown was a little more classic Destiny map. Most Destiny 1 maps that come to mind weren't THAT vertical.

I don't know off of the top of my head, but there was overall more height variation in the maps as far as I know. They've shown 5 PvP maps for this game so far and 2 of them are very flat, with Midtown being in the middle.

Tawpgun

I don't know off of the top of my head, but there was overall more height variation in the maps as far as I know. They've shown 5 PvP maps for this game so far and 2 of them are very flat, with Midtown being in the middle.

Midtown has about as much verticality as most Destiny 1 maps. Most of the verticality was just a jump away anyway.

The Jer

Does the stats on the weapons mean anything for PVP? Do they balance them out during matches or? Wouldn't it make it incredibly unfair if someone rolled a Legendary Pistol of 1-shot-kill Eagles vs. a new guy with Dank Rifle of You're-out-of-Ammo?

Never tried the PVP in Destiny 1 so I don't know how it worked.
Weapon stats and perks matter, as well as the overall archetype of the weapon. However, attributes like "extra damage for precision shots" gets applied differently for PvP and PVE. It might be a 20% gain for PVE and a 3% gain for PvP.

Also, power levels don't matter. A 280 power version of a weapon is the same as the 210 version in PvP. The only exception are the occasional special events for elite high-level players; iron banner and trials of osiris. Even then, the differences aren't as extreme as PVE and low-level or individuals without a team can't enter the Trials. So, outside of high-level events, you don't need a particular weapon to hold your own.

elguero

Yeah, I'm saying there shouldn't be a technical limitation to allowing 6 v 6.

I think 4 v 4 is a better size for the standard PvP, but I would be surprised to see them not include a 6 v 6 option at some point.

I thought Endless Vale had some pretty good verticality that I didn't see many people utilize. I had some pretty sweet success by jumping up pillars along the side lanes to "ambush" people from above by hip firing an SMG from directly on top of people that had their eyes set at ground level.

Edit: Also the B point is just high enough where you have to expose yourself if you jump up to the control point from the side lane. I got a TON of kills with the range scope on the scout rifle by just sitting back and waiting for folks to jump up to capture B. They were always way out of range with their weapons to fight back.

Tawpgun

I thought Endless Vale had some pretty good verticality that I didn't see many people utilize. I had some pretty sweet success by jumping up pillars along the side lanes to "ambush" people from above by hip firing an SMG from directly on top of people that had their eyes set at ground level.

Edit: Also the B point is just high enough where you have to expose yourself if you jump up to the control point from the side lane. I got a TON of kills with the range scope on the scout rifle by just sitting back and waiting for folks to jump up to capture B. They were always way out of range with their weapons to fight back.

Jumping around corners, the best FPS* strat

*FPS's that let you jump high

Midtown has about as much verticality as most Destiny 1 maps. Most of the verticality was just a jump away anyway.

Blind Watch, Exodus Blue, Rusted Lands, Firebase Delphi, Bastion, Twilight Gap, Bannerfall, Floating Gardens, and Widow's Court have more verticality and/or height variation than Midtown. Midtown is evenly displaced 3 levels, and there isn't really a point where all 3 interact.

Today was a pvp reveal. Don't see how horde comes out of that.

Map looks ok. Very clean, but easily forgettable in terms of looks.

Mode looks fun.

Hmm.. I wonder if the game will launch with a PoE, Archons Forge/Court of Oryx like thing.

I sure hope so

That map seems kinda big for 4v4
Agreed. It looks larger than the two beta maps for sure.

So apparently Mercury is intact... Or at least intact enough for a multiplayer map lol

I thought maybe the planet that gets evaporated in the one trailer may have been Mercury. I guess not!

Hmm.. I wonder if the game will launch with a PoE, Archons Forge/Court of Oryx like thing.

In the PvE video yesterday they said they took the Archon's Forge/Court of Oryx concept and applied it to Public Events, etc so I took that as a no regarding a similar mode being in at launch.

Edit: To expand on this after watching it again (they talk about this exact subject not even a minute in here), they say instead of having one focused area (meaning AF/CoO) they applied that concept to PvE events across all four new destinations.

Today was a pvp reveal. Don't see how horde comes out of that.

Map looks ok. Very clean, but easily forgettable in terms of looks.

Mode looks fun.
Well when you call your game mode "Survival".... And the thread started off with a gameplay video. No indication it was pvp before watching the video, so it was an easily placed hope to have.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So apparently Mercury is intact... Or at least intact enough for a multiplayer map lol

The idea that Mercury was being blown up was silly speculation, I think.

That would have been terrible, considering we haven't been able to actually go there outside of PvP yet.

Symbiotx

As much as people are complaining about 4v4, I felt like that was one change that ended up being completely fine. The way control played out, I never felt like there needed to be more people. With small maps and fast respawns, the whole thing flowed pretty well.

Was hoping "Survival" would be a horde mode. Disappointing.

I'll third that. The mode looks ok, but I was hoping for a horde mode instead.

This comes across strangely to me considering one of the biggest criticisms of D1 was that there was so much mini-horde mode gameplay. Public Events where you stand in a specific area fighting off waves of enemies that spawn up until a timer ends. points in missions where your Ghost is scanning while you fight off hordes of enemies until a timer runs out.

I don't personally have an issue with these things. Just pointing out that Destiny already has instances of horde-mode gameplay. It's just not endless hordes, racking up high scores until you die-style horde mode.

The idea that Mercury was being blown up was silly speculation, I think.

That would have been terrible, considering we haven't been able to actually go there outside of PvP yet.

Mostly it was the fact the sun clearly splits in half, coupled with an explosion at some point, so Mercury clearly was a possible casuality.

I could see them having Mercury heavily damaged but held together with Red Legion and/or Vex technology. Could make for an interesting map actually.

Edit:

sun-explosion.png

USjqwzO_d.jpg

This comes across strangely to me considering one of the biggest criticisms of D1 was that there was so much mini-horde mode gameplay. Public Events where you stand in a specific area fighting off waves of enemies that spawn up until a timer ends. points in missions where your Ghost is scanning while you fight off hordes of enemies until a timer runs out.

I don't personally have an issue with these things. Just pointing out that Destiny already has instances of horde-mode gameplay. It's just not endless hordes, racking up high scores until you die-style horde mode.

And I'm sure this is exactly what people want from a horde mode with similar survival type game modes from ODST and customization from Reach.

I suppose so. It just strikes me as odd because so many people have called the mini versions that Destiny had boring gameplay.

Could be a great mode if done correctly and by that I mean by being it's own mode with real matchmaking, progression, and loot/rewards with interval boss battles, etc.

I wish the Halo franchise would release a stand-alone game titled, well, Halo: Firefight that borrowed from every corner of the Halo-verse concerning weapons, gear, vehicles, characters, locations/environments etc while having in-depth progression systems (soldier-to-spartan) with loot/rewards while having a number of different survival/arcade Firefight gametypes with, again, boss battles, etc.

I guess I'm in the minority but PoE and CoO were a lot of fun to me. I want more of that.

You know, I didn't even think of those but they are even more Horde-mode-like than the stuff I mentioned.

I guess the endless aspect is really important for fans of Horde modes though.

GhaleonEB

I suppose so. It just strikes me as odd because so many people have called the mini versions that Destiny had boring gameplay.

A dedicated, structured mode that encouraged cooperative play and with appropriate rewards is what people ask for with that kind of mode. Not repetitive encounters defending your ghost against waves during a story mission. (Which haven't been a staple of Destiny since launch.)

A dedicated, structured mode that encouraged cooperative play and with appropriate rewards is what people ask for with that kind of mode. Not repetitive encounters defending your ghost against waves during a story mission. (Which haven't been a staple of Destiny since launch.)

But as WesleyShark pointed out, that's what PoE is. It just lacks being Endless. And the top tier doesn't have matchmaking.

But as WesleyShark pointed out, that's what PoE is. It just lacks being Endless. And the top tier doesn't have matchmaking.

Meh, it could have been and if a mode like it returns needs to be expanded on a lot.

The matchmaking thing and a Skolas type encounter(s) is a discussion which I don't even want to broach around these parts or any parts for that matter.

Seems like an interesting PVP mode. Whenever I watch Crucible videos I get reminded that Titan's void kit is so versatile and Hunters need love.

Seems like an interesting PVP mode. Whenever I watch Crucible videos I get reminded that Titan's void kit is so versatile and Hunters need love.

I'm still in awe of the fact that the Sentinel Titan has two super options at one time and none of the other classes/subclasses have such a feature and the only thing remotely close to an explanation from Bungie is "everyone at the studio loves the Ward of Dawn and Titans in general."

Edit: And just for the record I love the Ward of Dawn too and the idea of having two different super options at one time with a press and a hold button mechanic but if one subclass is going to have it then all of them should feature it.

Ryuuga

Banned
Definitely not the survival I was expecting which is a shame because PVP seems like nothing more than sweaty modes with a rigidly competitive structure. Seeking deep discounts because if I pick it up it's only for the PVE at this point.

Top Bottom