• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Crash Bandicoot site is down, all references removed from activision website

Christhor

But Sony owns Naughty Dog.

A couple Crash 2 gifs for the new page:

9w3PVV1.gif

Blea8Hz.gif

That's the old Naughty Dog, I doubt the current Naughty Dog could make platformers anywhere near that quality without Jason and Andy.

That's the old Naughty Dog, I doubt the current Naughty Dog could make platformers anywhere near that quality without Jason and Andy.

There's no evidence either way as to whether current ND would make a good platforming game. They can certainly make a good game, full stop though; don't know why we're supposed to be outright doubt their abilities all of a sudden.

noobasuar

Banned
Kid Icarus was literally the most unplayable game I have played during this past gen.

Anyone who thought something that controlled like that did was fit for public consumption without offering proper customisation is clearly not a creator at the top of his game.

Cool opinion bro. I'm sorry you couldn't hang. Amazing controls for the type of game it was. Top tier.

Christhor

They're no evidence either way as to whether current ND would make a good platforming game. They can certainly make a good game, full stop though; don't know why we're supposed to be outright doubt their abilities all of a sudden.

The climbing and various action sequences that are almost a bit reminiscent of Crash, just lacking the quality, I wouldn't have much faith. From interviews, it was pretty clear that Andy in particular was a big reason as to why the games were as good as they were.

TheOGB

Banned
Kid Icarus was literally the most unplayable game I have played during this past gen.

Anyone who thought something that controlled like that did was fit for public consumption without offering proper customisation is clearly not a creator at the top of his game.
But they did have quite a bit of control customization. Sucks that they didn't go with dual pad, I guess, but I wasn't really affected by it. Game was amazing. *shrug*

The climbing and various action sequences that are almost a bit reminiscent of Crash, just lacking the quality, I wouldn't have much faith. From interviews, it was pretty clear that Andy in particular was a big reason as to why the games were as good as they were.

Amy Hennig herself didn't want platforming to be used to describe Uncharted's climbing/traversal. The only gameplay in Uncharted that's reminiscent of Crash Bandicoot are the short "running toward screen" segments. They aren't meant to be to the level of CB at all.

I'm sure there are other developers who could do a good job with the Crash IP, perhaps even a better job than current ND. However, there are no signs current ND would make a poor CB. Gameplay from a TPS doesn't indicate their ability to make a platformer.

Sony have the rights to re-release the original ND games. But do they have the rights to release updated versions of them? I mean are they restricted to only releasing the original games unchanged? I'd really like to know if HD remakes is actually something Sony can legally do. I want a CTR remake with online play.

Oh my god, that would be so awesome. My favourite karting game ever! I'd happily drop £12 or £15 for that.

Dawg

I don't want Crash back if it isn't being made by Naughty Dog.

I don't care if the new Killer Instinct is "ok" despite not being made by RARE. I don't want an "ok" Crash.

I want Naughty Dogs Crash Bandicoot.

I've played the Activision games, man. Not like this...

I don't care if the new Killer Instinct is "ok" despite not being made by RARE. I don't want an "ok" Crash.

I want Naughty Dogs Crash Bandicoot.

I've played the Activision games, man. Not like this...

But the new donkey kong country games are great even though they aren't made by RARE some people even think its better

RaikuHebi

Banned
Parappa is just a fantasy rumor and your right that Killzone technically did start on the ps2 at the end of the systems lifecycle but it really "became big" on ps3 with KZ 2.

I wouldn't call Parappa a fantasy rumour. A guy made a thread about hearing it and then one of GAF's trusty insiders Mort confirmed he too had heard it.

Even if it was made by ND, the likes of Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin are long gone.

It's just a shame that developers don't seem to be able to create memorable mascot videogame characters like they used to. I mean, Knack is hardly the most memorable or recognisable character is he!

Sackboy is probably the nearest we've got to the likes of Crash/Sonic/Mario/Banjo in recent years.

I hope we see SCE do plenty in this area during the upcoming generation though. Between LBP/Sly/Jak/Ratchet they've always been happy to push that genre of gaming, they just need to learn to market them better.

RaikuHebi

Banned
What?! They don't discriminate; they 'milk' franchises which continue to be good and/or successful.

God of War
Sly Cooper
Ratchet & Clank
Gran Turismo
Killzone

There's five off the top of my head. You're talking nonsense.

Very true. Milk is what Activision do with COD.

None of those Sony games have annual releases.

Dawg

But the new donkey kong country games are great even though they aren't made by RARE some people even think its better

You forgot one important detail. They're made by Retro.

Even if it was made by ND, the likes of Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin are long gone.

It's just a shame that developers don't seem to be able to create memorable mascot videogame characters like they used to. I mean, Knack is hardly the most memorable or recognisable character is he!

Sackboy is probably the nearest we've got to the likes of Crash/Sonic/Mario/Banjo in recent years.

I hope we see SCE do plenty in this area during the upcoming generation though. Between LBP/Sly/Jak/Ratchet they've always been happy to push that genre of gaming, they just need to learn to market them better.

You're right about Gavin and Rubin. That's actually why we should never see a Crash game again. The activision games already messed up an iconic franchise.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well, twinsanity had the best ball levels in the series. Or perhaps the best vehicle levels overall
if Cortex counts as a vehicle...

I also like the fact that they reference how shitty WoC was

Yeah that line cracks me up every time.

"The check bounced? Are you sure? Well these past few years have kind of been slow. Wrath of Cortex didn't do as well as we hoped and..."

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
What?! They don't discriminate; they 'milk' franchises which continue to be good and/or successful.

God of War
Sly Cooper
Ratchet & Clank
Gran Turismo
Killzone

There's five off the top of my head. You're talking nonsense.

I'd argue Sony have milked R&C. They've kinda run the series in to the ground if you ask me.

Silky

Banned
Parappa is just a fantasy rumor and your right that Killzone technically did start on the ps2 at the end of the systems lifecycle but it really "became big" on ps3 with KZ 2.

Naw dawg Famousmortimer confirmed that ish, man. He got inside sources. If he were wrong? He'd be banned.

DKC2 > DKCR > DKC

Returns is the best damn DK game I've touched in a while.

I like easy mode platforming, part of the reason I liked Super Mario 3D Land.

That's nice. Crash has always had some sort of a challenge to it, but Warped was arguably easier than 2 and 1. Still like it (as do I like 3D Land because goddamn 3D Land.)

Five

Banned
It's happening!!!

yfbFIz5l.jpg

Xbox One controller also coming to the PS4 by the looks of it.
I know this is a joke post but, to clarify for those who didn't catch that drift, IGN wrote a story on Crash whenever cocobandicoot at reddit first brought all this to our attention. Sometimes IGN's cdn gets the hiccups and old articles resurface. This happened to, for example, Keza McDonald's Wonderful 101 review. The same thing appears to be happening to the Crash article.
IGN made an app that let's you view most of their content from on the PS4. That's all we're seeing here.

Top Bottom