• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheSrb2DUDE: Splatoon 2- Motion controld vs sticks?

massoluk

Banned
That's a whole lot of assumptions.
Doesn't seem so implausible to me. I spent like a couple days before getting used to Keyboard and Mouse when I started playing FPS. I spent way more time than that to get used to playing console shooter with twin sticks. Usually all I see around here is "Yeah, I gave gyro assist a couple of hours, it sucked, turned that shit right off"

TDonk

Im winning most games and finishing top with sticks on pro controller.

Can't be bothered to learn motion control and haven't enjoyed it when I gave it a fair go.

rpmurphy

Most people in the "core community" definitely don't give motion controls a chance. If Wii has shown anything is that plenty of hardcore gamers who clamor for challenge can't stand being challenged to learn new types of controls and don't bother overcoming the difficulties inherent to change.

Of course, that doesn't mean someone is wrong for not using motion, just that they're wrong if they can't accept motion controls are more precise and accurate.
It amuses me that stick controls became the standard for console shooting games, when growing up, the console ports from arcade in this genre played like garbage with the standard controller. It's too bad Wii FPS games never really got much attention.

mebizzle

I used motion on the Wii U because for whatever reason my brain can't comprehend twin stick on a device like the gamepad/switch portable. I switched to sticks on the Pro Controller and I am performing consistently well, typically at the top of my team even in turf war. I like not having to constantly split my attention between jumping and the camera center button.

The Boat

That's a whole lot of assumptions.
Admittedly, yes. It's my opinion from my experience, I won't claim to have any statistics, but the fact that analog aiming continues to be the console standard and motion aiming is mostly ignored seems to agree with me.

It isn't exactly an outlandish theory, people have been using classic controllers for years upon years, is it any wonder that many aficionados would resist change? Especially as many cases of motion control require a level of "physical control" so to speak that "regular" controls don't. There's an adaptation period and steep-ish learning curve many prefer to avoid altogether because they're fine with the way they're doing things now.

Not that I'm saying motion controls should be used everywhere or anything of the sort.

mazillion

The lack of Y axis control on the right stick makes playing handheld too difficult for me. I play exclusively with split joy-cons docked or tabletop.

I am sooo so much better aiming and maneuvering with the joy-con than I was with the tablet. In Splatoon 1 motion on tablet felt weird so I opted to use the sticks and I was never that great. But it feels so natural to me to use my right hand for aiming and right thumb for spinning me around in split Joy-con mode, when I play like that I honestly have no quarrels with the lack of R-stick Y-axis control.

I played salmon run all weekend hovering around professional %185 to %205 difficultly and it did wonders for getting the handle of things. When things are that hectic you basically have to master movement or else you'll get overwhelmed. I learned how to do 180 turns in an instant (flick wrist and move the stick together) and it almost feels unfair when i play PvP because I can often pull reversals on people who got the drop on me.

The main thing that took some getting used to with the control scheme is getting a feel for how much your aim gets thrown off when you move the camera with the right stick. Sometimes I'll move the right stick but my aim would go too far in one direction so I had readjust my crosshair with motion. After a while though I learned to anticipate where my crosshair was going to end up.

The movement in this game is so good, I have never been able to play this aggressively in a third person shooter before. I think I am better with this than I am with a kayboard and mouse, granted I am not great with a mouse.

FaintDeftone

I'm terrible with the motion controls in this game. However, if it truly is the best way to play, maybe I should reconsider my stance and practice using them. I just feel like every time I use motion controls I flail around too much and get myself splatted. Like most people in here are saying, I would be much happier if they didn't lock the stick down to the X axis and let me use the gyro for fine tuning. I love doing that in the Vita Uncharted and Killzone games. Give us the best of both worlds, Nintendo.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
To everyone who is givin' up on gyro without even really trying I have only one thing to say: be my guest, I'll keep splattin' ya.

derFeef

The lack of Y axis control on the right stick makes playing handheld too difficult for me. I play exclusively with split joy-cons docked or tabletop.

I am sooo so much better aiming and maneuvering with the joy-con than I was with the tablet. In Splatoon 1 motion on tablet felt weird so I opted to use the sticks and I was never that great. But it feels so natural to me to use my right hand for aiming and right thumb for spinning me around in split Joy-con mode, when I play like that I honestly have no quarrels with the lack of R-stick Y-axis control.

I played salmon run all weekend hovering around professional %185 to %205 difficultly and it did wonders for getting the handle of things. When things are that hectic you basically have to master movement or else you'll get overwhelmed. I learned how to do 180 turns in an instant (flick wrist and move the stick together) and it almost feels unfair when i play PvP because I can often pull reversals on people who got the drop on me.

The main thing that took some getting used to with the control scheme is getting a feel for how much your aim gets thrown off when you move the camera with the right stick. Sometimes I'll move the right stick but my aim would go too far in one direction so I had readjust my crosshair with motion. After a while though I learned to anticipate where my crosshair was going to end up.

The movement in this game is so good, I have never been able to play this aggressively in a third person shooter before. I think I am better with this than I am with a kayboard and mouse, granted I am not great with a mouse.

Are the controls different for split-joy con mode? I need to give it a shot, maybe it fixes my problem with it (I guess it's still only horizontal stick movement?)

shiyrley

Banned
Motion controls are factually better and there's no discussion that can be made out of that fact. It's not possible to argue against it. If you want to handicap yourself you are free to do so, though. It's the equivalent of using a controller in a PC shooter.
How does he turn left/right so fast when motion controls only work on the Y axis ?
That's not true.

When motion is enabled, motion works on both axis and the stick only works on the X axis.

I'm convinced that some people just don't understand how to use motion controls properly, and that's why some people have so much trouble with it. I base this on the comments I've read here on GAF. People who apparently think they have to wave their controller around in the air, to others who don't realise that you are supposed to use the right stick as well to make the bigger movements and that it's not just motion only.

Emphasis on some.

mazillion

Are the controls different for split-joy con mode? I need to give it a shot, maybe it fixes my problem with it (I guess it's still only horizontal stick movement?)

No the controls are the same (for motion) but I find the lack of y-axis control to be less of a problem if I play split controllers. The right joy-con controls the aim, it's easy to tilt around in that position. I rest my hands on my legs when I sit, pretty comfortable to me.

derFeef

No the controls are the same (for motion) but I find the lack of y-axis control to be less of a problem if I play split controllers. The right joy-con controls the aim, it's easy to tilt around in that position.

That makes sense, I guess it does feel lightgun-y? Sorry I can't try it today and just curious.
I would prefer handheld mode to be better tho - unlock the y-axis on the stick and lower the sensitivity on that axis!

I'm terrible with sticks, so I don't think I'd be able to hit anything with a charger if it wasn't for motion controls. It's still not my weapon of choice for competitive, but at least I'm not useless if I get one in Salmon Run.

mazillion

That makes sense, I guess it does feel lightgun-y? Sorry I can't try it today and just curious.
I would prefer handheld mode to be better tho - unlock the y-axis on the stick and lower the sensitivity on that axis!
Hmm lightgun, I guess kinda? If you ever played the Wii it feels a little bit like using a Wiimote to aim except it doesn't have to be pointed at the screen obviously.

Agreed, i'd love to play handheld but I just know those stubby analog sticks won't cut it.

Seems to be a Splatoon specific thing though? Because when I watch ESL Call of Duty or Halo, the players have no issues doing 180s and 360s incredibly quickly. Easily acquiring targets far faster than the guy demonstrates in this video.

trixx

jumping and shooting probably the biggest advantage but nintendo should allow you to have either custom controls or other gamepad controls

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I tried motion controls about 10 different times and just cannot get used to it. Having to hit Y all the time to reset the view is just frustrating.

Sticks it is, for me anyways.

phanphare

Banned
I tried motion controls about 10 different times and just cannot get used to it. Having to hit Y all the time to reset the view is just frustrating.

Sticks it is, for me anyways.

of course you can just stick with the sticks I just wanted to point out that if you're having to reset the camera all the time then something is wrong either with how you're controlling the game or with the controller itself. at most you should only have to hit the camera reset button at the start of a match.

massoluk

Banned
Seems to be a Splatoon specific thing though? Because when I watch ESL Call of Duty or Halo, the players have no issues doing 180s and 360s incredibly quickly. Easily acquiring targets far faster than the guy demonstrates in this video.
Uh... Never seen a Call of Duty on console that do 180 or 360 faster than mouselook.

Guess Activision should port one to switch so we can find out

mazillion

Those games don't have motion control though, there is a cap on turning speed for all players. In Splatoon you can spin around as fast as you can flick your wrist so the baseline speed for competitive play is higher.

Those games also have large amounts of aim assist, so you can whip around and still shoot accurately with sticks if the sensitivity is turned up high.

I can definitely see the argument for it. I've switched back and forth between motion and sticks only and mostly prefer the gyro, but I'd say a lot of that is because I purely play in handheld mode and the sticks on the Joycon aren't as good (or at least as comfortable) as a regular controller's for obvious reasons. I have a lot of trouble following my opponent in fast matches as well because I'm literally tilting my screen in all kinds of directions. Really wish they'd let you have full stick control with gyro.

kiguel182

Motion controls seemed impossible to grasp at first, I even turned them off.

After sticking with them for a bit they are great. You really just have to get used to it.

Motion controls in Splatoon clicked with me almost instantly. I'm someone who only played shooters with either a mouse or pointer controls so I guess I didn't have any analog stick muscle memory to get rid of.

I'm curious how many people who advocate motion controls are playing handheld?

Because it feels like crap when the screen is tilting while you're trying to aim. Then again anyone who takes gaming that seriously will probably use a pro controller anyway right?

I'm doing well enough with sticks, generally finishing top in the majority of matches. The reality is I'm never going to be elite at any game anyway so as long as you're having fun what does it matter....

Comments like this are why this video needed to be made. Does it matter? Says stick user subtly shitting on motion controls are the method for people who aren't serious or don't care

NotLiquid

Splatoon's motion controls (and BOTW too if we're going beyond that) make me sad that so many developers have failed to capitalize on the benefits of gyro supplements in shooters. Going back to console shooters that don't have them feels so rigid.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nobody wants to feel temporarily bad even if the payoff is higher. I didn't play many modern shooters before Splatoon, so twin stick wasn't ingrained in my head. I imagine it would be tougher for someone who played CoD and Battlefield on console for a decade to adjust to motion.

Not at all actually. I mean, I played a lot of console CoD and Battlefield last gen, but had no problems with the first Splatoon.

I still haven't tried the joycons. I've only been using the Pro Controller so far.

Splatoon's motion controls (and BOTW too if we're going beyond that) make me sad that so many developers have failed to capitalize on the benefits of gyro supplements in shooters. Going back to console shooters that don't have them feels so rigid.
Unfortunately I don't think it will ever be implemented by many developers given how many people automatically dismiss it.

Strider

Those games have aim assist. Splatoon doesn't

Like Splatoon 1, gyro aiming clicked pretty easily for me. Sure, Y axis stick aiming would be nice as well, but I really don't have any problem with its absence. Though I guess it helps that I generally avoid console shooters like the plague because twin-stick aiming is a garbage fire.

Still not as good as the Steam Controller implementation (trackpads+gyro) or M&KB, but gyro-supplemented controls are frankly the most tolerable way to experience a console shooter as of yet, for me. It's baffling that PS4 games simply don't use that functionality.

Lucifon

Hate any form of gyro controls in shooters and Splatoon is no different. The act of floating around a controller in the air just doesn't give anywhere near accurate feedback in comparison imo. I'm sure you can get great with it though but not for me.

What seriously doesn't help is the stick controls on Splatoon are far from great versus other console benchmark shooters. Big deadzones and lack of individual X/Y sensitivity options is just bad. Love the game though.

K' Dash

I have no issue with people using sticks instead of gyro, they're handing me easy wins.

What makes me laugh is that people blame their suckage on the controls, the video demonstrates how accurate it is and they keep spewing bullshit?

Learn the damn controls, lose a few matches, get to the test stage or play single player but stop saying the controls are bad because you're too lazy to learn a new control scheme.

AEREC

Had to turn off motion controls on the commute this morning for obvious reasons. Felt like I was learning how to play on analogue sticks for the first time again. I hope this doesn't spoil me on other games.

Zyae

Sticks are much better in actual gameplay, ive never played the game in my life and booted it up last night and was destroying people as a level 3 with no items or unlocks.

Top Bottom