• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus holding Niconico stream on November 24th for "major Persona announcement"

Status
Not open for further replies.

butman

Someone saw this on Gamekyo?

Atlus: and if it was not Persona 5?
While we continue to wait for the announcement to be made on November 24, the possibility of a Persona 5 seems to move away slowly when you discover that the person in charge of dubbing Nanako Dojima threw a PDF on canvas summarizing his career, a career that includes the words "two Golden Persona 4" and "Persona 4 Golden Vol. 2 ".

A real result rather provide an episode with an original background?

At the same time, Amazon.jp says that the monthly magazine about the Persona series will just return next month.

Google translated.

Source: http://www.gamekyo.com/newsfr55448_atlus-et-si-ce-n-etait-pas-persona-5.html

Pirabear

Banned
They're shutting down their forums the last day before the big announcement? That's got to mean they think people are going to be pissed, right?

Huh? I'd think it would be easier for people to voice their disapproval through social media than it would through a forum you have to sign up to.

They're shutting down their forums the last day before the big announcement? That's got to mean they think people are going to be pissed, right?
They made the announcement twelve days ago and the place was a ghost town.

More likely is that whoever would have been charge of moderating a gamefaq-level wild west that the announcement would bring, is better spent doing more effective PR or community work on their twitter or facebook.

So I think it's more or less exactly what they said at face value.

Huh? I'd think it would be easier for people to voice their disapproval through social media than it would through a forum you have to sign up to.

Yeah, anyone that follows Atlus' Facebook account knows that they're very active on it. So, if it were bad news then they'd definitely see it in full force. Probably moreso than if it were on their forum.

I'm not picky about the platform this game is coming out on, but I sort of want the game to be announced on platforms that will cause the greatest meltdowns on gaf.

Slightly off-topic, I hope we here more about Devil Survivor 2: Break Record soon.

CrazyDude

I'm not picky about the platform this game is coming out on, but I sort of want the game to be announced on platforms that will cause the greatest meltdowns on gaf.

Slightly off-topic, I hope we here more about Devil Survivor 2: Break Record soon.

So the Sega Saturn it is.

Definitely hoping for Persona 5. Once that happens I think the next question is how many do I have to buy, and on what platform, for Sega to give Atlus the right to localize VCIII on PSN?

-Horizon-

Is DS2 still planned for the end of this year or has it been quietly pushed back?

jcm

Sure, but they can't shut down twitter and facebook. You really think the decision to do it this week is a coincidence?

Sure, but they can't shut down twitter and facebook. You really think the decision to do it this week is a coincidence?
They can shut down their official forums but they can't shut down GAF, how is that any different?

I know we're paranoid here, but that's a Tinfoil Hat arcana level of paranoid

Ishida

Banned
PS4 Persona incoming.

Jesus freaking Christ, thuway... Do you know what it feels to read something like that from one of the most respected leakers/insiders?

Please man, if you are just speculating or trolling, just say it now... =(

Meia

If it was PS4, we'd definitely have Persona 5 and Persona 6 probably within 2 years of each other again, as has been the norm with the series.

I'd also imagine this couldn't have been done without Sony's help, which may increase it's reach in terms of a fanbase(well, this plus being an oasis in a desert that is launch lineups or the first year of a new console). I'd still be worried about how well the game would have to sell in comparison to what they usually have to to be good business for Atlus...

Dr. Buni

Nothing wrong with jumping ship and it gives the game the best chances of cross gen.
...How exactly? The best chances of cross gen is it being released for the PS3 and also for the PS4 (at the same time or the PS4 version being released a few months or years later). Atlus ignoring the huge install base of the PS3 would be insane.
Is Persona that big that it would drastically benefit from moving to 3DS/iOS? I don't think we'll see the series moving away from PS3/PSV/PS4.
I think most jRPG series would benefit from moving to 3DS, but I am not sure about how popular Persona actually is in Japan, so... I dunno. I don't see it moving away from Sony consoles either, but it isn't impossible to happen.

If it was PS4, we'd definitely have Persona 5 and Persona 6 probably within 2 years of each other again, as has been the norm with the series.

I'd also imagine this couldn't have been done without Sony's help, which may increase it's reach in terms of a fanbase(well, this plus being an oasis in a desert that is launch lineups or the first year of a new console). I'd still be worried about how well the game would have to sell in comparison to what they usually have to to be good business for Atlus...
Isn't Atlus usually really down to earth when it comes to sales expectations?

With Sony support, some marketing behind it and like you said it sticking out as a reason to jump into next gen I don't think it should be hard to break what Atlus usually goes for.

...How exactly? The best chances of cross gen is it being released for the PS3 and also for the PS4 (at the same time or the PS4 version being released a few months or years later). Atlus ignoring the huge install base of the PS3 would be insane.
You're assuming a PS4 Persona would be "next gen" and not go something like the Guilty Gear Xrd route.

bonercop

man-hit-by-a-train.gif

this time it'll happen you guys. this is the thread. i know i've led you astray in the past, but it's happening. believe.

I think most jRPG series would benefit from moving to 3DS, but I am not sure about how popular Persona actually is in Japan, so... I dunno. I don't see it moving away from Sony consoles either, but it isn't impossible to happen.

and quite frankly, the odds of a Persona game being taxing on hardware seem incredibly low, given the track record.

Dr. Buni

You're assuming a PS4 Persona would be "next gen" and not go something like the Guilty Gear Xrd route.
I guess you are missing my point, because I am not talking about graphics. My question was: How exactly Persona 5 being a PS4 title makes it easier for it to be a cross-gen title?
Given how well Persona sold on Vita it might make sense to first release it on PS3 and then release a separate "Enhanced" edition a bit later on Vita/PS4.
That is the scenario I want to believe in. PS3 first, then PS4 and/or Vita later (or even at the same time, that is not important).
and quite frankly, the odds of a Persona game being taxing on hardware seem incredibly low, given the track record.
Yeah, I don't think Persona 5 will "wow" people graphically, regardless of what system it is released for.

Can't wait for those Nocturne models to have raytraced bump maps.

Is Persona that big that it would drastically benefit from moving to 3DS/iOS? I don't think we'll see the series moving away from PS3/PSV/PS4.
If the Nintendo shareholder reports are anything to go by, I'm sure someone with a modicum of influence on Index salivates at the idea of f2p models being applied to demon collecting and compendiums. Obviously won't be the case though
as it'll be be free to play pachinko machines.

I guess you are missing my point, because I am not talking about graphics. My question was: How exactly Persona 5 being a PS4 title makes it easier to it to be a cross-gen title?
It just seems to me it would be easier to justify porting the game back to PS3 than making a PS3 game jump into next gen due to the install base.

Dr. Buni

It just seems to me it would be easier to justify porting the game back to PS3 than making a PS3 game jump into next gen due to the install base.
I see. Have Atlus ever done such thing as porting a new game to an older console? Because they seem to love doing the opposite.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why not use something neutral instead?

They got bored with Jack Frost I guess.

This makes no sense. So a game that very likely started development on current gen is going to shifted to be a next gen only release and then they'll go back and make a current gen port?

Arsenic13

Persona 5 on PS4 would make me get the console the day of that release. Hell, I'd probably even look into importing a bundle if they did one.

Dascu

It personally does strike me as a smarter idea to build the engine with PS4 in mind, thereby creating a foundation for game development for the entire next gen (like what happened with their entire PS2 output). To the extent possible, they can downport certain titles to Vita and, in the beginning, PS3.

Either way we'll find out soon enough.

I don't think they would have to worry much about the smaller PS4 installbase, especially if they there is a Vita or PS3 version, and if you also take into account potential financial support from Sony to secure a strong launch title. And the bigger investment for the engine and assets would certainly pay off in the long run.

Why would it be on PS4 when the console isn't even out in Japan until 2014?
It's not like the game is coming out tomorrow.

This makes no sense. So a game that very likely started development on current gen is going to shifted to be a next gen only release and then they'll go back and make a current gen port?
From what we've been told around here, the game was probably pushed around platforms like a kid with bracers in his first day of middle school, so I wouldn't doubt it.

Shengar

No please, unless every JRPG can show the beauty as much as FEA battle animation, which I doubt it that a 3DS could handle more than that. I know it is much more convenient to play JRPG on the go, but it is already in handheld for too long already. I want to see more ambitious title in graphic fidelity and scope of the game. It's time for them to return to console. Just imagine DAT FEA animation quality in HD detail on the Wii U. It will be glorious yes?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It personally does strike me as a smarter idea to build the engine with PS4 in mind, thereby creating a foundation for game development for the entire next gen (like what happened with their entire PS2 output). To the extent possible, they can downport certain titles to Vita and, in the beginning, PS3.

Given Index's financial issues back when P5 pre-production and development probably started, a strategy that maxes out sales potential would seem to be the more logical approach. Who knows how the Sega acquisition changed things, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom