• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

Walking by this Asian dude getting the number from this orange woman and she was trying to explain her name and she said "it's like Alanis (she pronounced it like Elana) but without the L"

andthebeatgoeson

RVbRjFA.png

This flat Earth shade.

D i Z

Was there anything worth talking about that happened at Gamescom?

Besides that ugly ass dog they had on the stage..

Johndoey

Banned
I realize I've spent too much of my life doing questionable things with rubbing alcohol.

I don't even want to think about the damage I've done to myself.

Johndoey

Banned
I'm really feeling that Blue Monday cover by HEALTH.

Got all this nervous energy today, feels good man.
---
There is a Buddist Cultural Center a whiles away from where I live, walk by it on occasion, this is the first time I've ever seen the building with the lights on. Seems like a nice setup.

It's near a church a guy once nearly ran me over at.

Malyse

Code:
[IMG]https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/swzci3kkacrwasogoqam.jpg[/IMG]

What's missing from this picture? That's right: Misty Knight.

Johndoey

Banned
Code:
[IMG]https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/swzci3kkacrwasogoqam.jpg[/IMG]

What's missing from this picture? That's right: Misty Knight.
Nah. Misty as she on the Netflix shows is kind of terrible. Colleen is only slightly better.

Johndoey

Banned
I took more issue with saying Colleen was better lol (Though I don't really know why they're being compared tbh)
I only mentioned her because the characters are fairly closely related in my mind. I can't consider one without the other. Also in the context of who "belongs" in the image.

D i Z

I want to re-watch Jessica Jones now. I have my issues with it, but it's the Netflix series I'm most positive about.

You say that, and that has been on my mind since I finished the new joint as well. When it comes down to it, I'm of the opinion that Jess was the one that the biggest onus was on to not fuck up, "or not get right"... however you want to slice that pie.

LotusHD

Banned
You say that, and that has been on my mind since I finished the new joint as well. When it comes down to it, I'm of the opinion that Jess was the one that the biggest onus was on to not fuck up, or get right... however you want to slice that pie.

Because of the presumed at the time subject matter in the show?

D i Z

Because of the presumed at the time subject matter in the show?

That for sure, but also that Jess is an odd one. This groups of Defenders is built to include her specifically, and that fucks up timelines and relationships all over the place right now. She still stays out of the muck when she can. She's a character piece. Even when she's embedded with the powered world, she still pulls away from it as much as she can. But she still needs to be included in all of this in a weird way. In a different world, we'd have a Misty show doing detective shit, nailing cases, failing cases... getting her arm blown off and going through the trauma and meeting a 'better' Colleen Wing. Why did we really need two detectives? Jess should have stayed separate for a while, but they needed to push her in.

LotusHD

Banned
That for sure, but also that Jess is an odd one. This groups of Defenders is built to include her specifically, and that fucks up timelines and relationships all over the place right now. She still stays out of the muck when she can. She's a character piece. Even when she's embedded with the powered world, she still pulls away from it as much as she can. But she still needs to be included in all of this in a weird way. In a different world, we'd have a Misty show doing detective shit, nailing cases, failing cases... getting her arm blown off and going through the trauma and meeting a 'better' Colleen Wing. Why did we really need two detectives? Jess should have stayed separate for a while, but they needed to push her in.

I mean, you're not wrong, but shit, happy she's in, opinion of the show would've been even worse otherwise.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, I got to agree never thought she was barely okay at most on screen. Do you think there will be a season 2 or was this a one time thing?

Season 2 for Defenders? Hard to say at this point, probably depends on if the future seasons for their individual shows continues to get a lot of viewers or something. That said, I kind of prefer them in their individual shows, with people from other shows popping in every now and then. Like how Luke showed up in Jessica Jones, I want more of that.

Anyways, I doubt they'd never make a Season 2.

Malyse

Yeah, I got to agree never thought she was barely okay at most on screen. Do you think there will be a season 2 or was this a one time thing?
Absolutely. Everything is getting at least three seasons. At least*

*I'm reserving the right for Heroes for Hire to be considered and counted a collaborative IF and LC season.

Marvel has a detective problem.
Jessica Jones? Detective
Misty Knight? Detective.
Jessica Drew? Detective.
Kate Bishop? Detective.
Jamie Madrox?
dead
Detective.
Howard the Duck? Detective.

Hell, half of Luke Cage and Doctor Strange's adventures are them trying to puzzle some shit out. Even Pasty Walker was tiptoeing down that line. And Jen Walters is more detective than lawyer at this point.

All that before you get to the non agency detective/mystery stories like Daredevil, Spider-Man, Black Panther and the Crew (rip), Moon Girl, etc. Marvel all bout that.
Season 2 for Defenders? Hard to say at this point, probably depends on if the future seasons for their individual shows continues to get a lot of viewers or something. That said, I kind of prefer them in their individual shows, with people from other shows popping in every now and then. Like how Luke showed up in Jessica Jones, I want more of that.

Anyways, I doubt they'd never make a Season 2.

My biggest hope is we dodge the Iron Man 3 problem AKA why in thee fuck would you not call Steve Rogers to help protect government officials? With the way they slide in and out of each other's lives, I would hope that you would call the big bulletproof brother to help knock heads when needed.

Considering how much Luke was in Jess S1, I would imagine that the actors are much more amenable to crossing over. I would love them to actually cross pollinate with the larger MCU.

D i Z

If there was any doubt before, Defenders cleared it up: Colleen can't act. So I'mma have to say no to the earlier notions of people wanting her to replace Danny.

I wouldn't go as far as to say she can't act. Her material is shite. But i would say that she ain't no Colleen Wing. No way. No how. Saying that, none of these characters are really what we want them to be. I guess we should just be happy that we get them at all. Still wrestling with that notion.

LotusHD

Banned
Well, she needa get some good material then. I defended her in Iron Fist, but could not do so for Defenders.

I dunno, hopefully everybody will just improve for the better now that they don't got to deal with the Hand anytime soon.

Malyse

I wouldn't go as far as to say she can't act. Her material is shite. But i would say that she ain't no Colleen Wing. No way. No how. Saying that, none of these characters are really what we want them to be. I guess we should just be happy that we get them at all. Still wrestling with that notion.
Luke and Jess are exactly who I want them to be.

Top Bottom