• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Common misconceptions that you believed for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I could breathe underwater when I was little. I'd always "run out" of air right before I got to the surface and "breathe in" a bit before I actually surfaced. Kinda strange but thank god I didn't go out of my way to test that out further lmao

Also, up until about 4 months ago (i'm 20) I thought that margarine was butter and that butter was margarine.

edit: i'm realizing these may not be incredibly common haha whoops

dogen

Choking kills several thousand people a year, so yes.

"The best way to beat dehydration is to drink before you get thirsty. If you wait until after you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated."

That's exactly what you guys have been saying. Repeating things doesn't make them true.

They also imply that you should get medical attention for people who are thirsty lol.

We're looking for what the consequences are, and whether they consistently follow being thirsty.

That's exactly what you guys have been saying. Repeating things doesn't make them true.

They also imply that you should get medical attention for people who are thirsty lol.

We're looking for what the consequences are, and whether they consistently follow being thirsty.

Except I didn't say that. The Cleveland Clinic did, and they're an academic hospital.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I thought animals all spoke to each other and bark moo were words.

I thought disciples was pronounced"disk-y-piles"

Both till I was six or seven.

But I knew an adult woman who assumed foreigners all thought in English and had to mentally translate into French, for example.

She was also stunningly beautiful which facilitated her lack of intellectual curiosity

Koriandrr

It's really embarrassing as it's a sexual one, but for the longest time I truly believed that pre-cum cannot make you pregnant. Pretty embarrassing for a woman not to know that, but hey, at least I didn't learn the hard way. I have no children :p Thanks lack of sex ed.

that trypophobia was a real medically recognized phobia

It seems to be more baked-in to the way visual processing in the brain works. I suppose if you had a sufficiently extreme aversion it could be categorized as such, but just being uncomfortable with that sort of imagery is borderline natural.

Stormthehouse

Neo Member
I believed the gum thing for maybe a little too long.

The blue blood thing I got into fights about, sidetracked an entire day of health class in 10th grade arguing about it with multiple people while getting nothing from the teacher. Incredibly frustrating arguing against blue blood and the goddamn health teacher won't help you make your point.

ENM89

Neo Member
It's really embarrassing as it's a sexual one, but for the longest time I truly believed that pre-cum cannot make you pregnant. Pretty embarrassing for a woman not to know that, but hey, at least I didn't learn the hard way. I have no children :p Thanks lack of sex ed.

One thing that I believed till part way through high school was that women could only get pregnant while on their period.

I thought I could breathe underwater when I was little. I'd always "run out" of air right before I got to the surface and "breathe in" a bit before I actually surfaced. Kinda strange but thank god I didn't go out of my way to test that out further lmao

Also, up until about 4 months ago (i'm 20) I thought that margarine was butter and that butter was margarine.

edit: i'm realizing these may not be incredibly common haha whoops

neither of these things are even remotely possible.

if you breathed in underwater, you'd fucking choke and/or drown.

if you ever went to a grocery store in your 20 years on earth, you'd see that butter says "butter" on it, and margarine says "margarine" on it - oh, and they both come in completely fucking different packages.

Illucio

Banned
Pee and sperm were the same thing.
It was my 18th birthday party when I was told the difference.

In my defense I kept moving and missing out when middle school explained this stuff. And High School health skipped over it saying "You guys already know this stuff." and it was embarrassing to let the teacher know in the middle of class that I didn't. And of I did asked I was told to talk to my parents, and they pulled the "Talk to your Dad" and "Talk to your Mom" thing on me.

BumRush

In my defense I kept moving and missing out when middle school explained this stuff. And High School health skipped over it saying "You guys already know this stuff." and it was embarrassing to let the teacher know in the middle of class that I didn't. And of I did asked I was told to talk to my parents, and they pulled the "Talk to your Dad" and "Talk to your Mom" thing on me.

I'm very confused

The Hermit

Mostly diet stuff. When I realized that sugar is the real villain, lost 10 kg and I have much more control of what I eat and my weight.

Still atonished that people think meat and butter is worse. Ive seen doctors saying that estheatosis (fatty liver) is caused by meat and not sugar.

Also was raised with the mindset that USA and capitalism was evil, when it's really not
that bad, just a little

sgtnosboss

Neo Member
I'll start by saying that for a long time until a few years ago, I thought egg yolks directly increased cholesterol, and so I largely avoided them. Now, as I understand it, high cholesterol seems to be primarily linked to genetics and eating cholesterol-laden foods such as eggs will not adversely affect your levels. Now I'll eat the entire egg and not just the egg white.

I believed the phrase "play it by ear" was play it by year since... Like... Last year..

Carrots are good for your eyes

Turns out it was a lie told during WWII

WebMD said:
Eating Carrots Will Improve Your Vision

Fact: Carrots are high in vitamin A, a nutrient essential for good vision. Eating carrots will provide you with the small amount of vitamin A needed for good vision, but vitamin A isn't limited to rabbit food; it can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolk, and liver.

According to WebMD. Not that it will restore your eyesight to 20/20 or it's some miracle for eyesight though. Just they are "good" for your eyes.

Ah, I see the myth was actually that it would improve your night vision, which is false. But they are good for your eyes.

I thought the height of a woman correlated to the depth of their vagina, therefore assumed that taller women were more difficult to satisfy than shorter women, and was kinda intimidated from tall women. LOL

I...may have a few questions.

LordOfChaos

I was told a number of times in school that the gender wage gap was with identical parameters. It isn't, the numbers cited are usually an average of working populations not accounting for job type or experience, after which (and several other corrections) it's pretty small.

But I knew an adult woman who assumed foreigners all thought in English and had to mentally translate into French, for example.

She was also stunningly beautiful which facilitated her lack of intellectual curiosity

I actually think in english a lot and often have to translate words from english to my own language.

I was told a number of times in school that the gender wage gap was with identical parameters. It isn't, the numbers cited are usually an average of working populations not accounting for job type or experience, after which (and several other corrections) it's pretty small.

Well, the gender-wage gap does attempt to account for a number of conditions, not least among them is the likelihood that men and women will be equally represented in a specific field given similar levels of education and/or training. In reality women are much less likely to find positions in higher paying fields and are largely absent from many professions. additionally life cycle wage growth for women seems to be significantly lower than for men even in the same professional classifications.

Latino was a race
All Mexicans are brown
Brown was a race, like white and black when in reality the "brown race" (or "red race" depending on who you ask) is native American

Magnus

Such a poorly thought out diagram, so common in classrooms even today! Although I'm talking up to my teenage years when I realised it made no sense.

Taste2.png

Haha this isn't true? Shit.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/avoiding-dehydration[/url]

"The best way to beat dehydration is to drink before you get thirsty. If you wait until after you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated."

That's a good way to get hyponatremia.
Just drink when you're thirsty. You'll be fine. Unless you get mad thirsty on the reg or have a legit medical problem wrt thirst obv

People worry too much about this kinda stuff. Were the human body so finicky, we'd have gone extinct long ago.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
No, but I don't see how you could possibly be a flat earther. I feel like they know it's not true but are just being intentionally obtuse.

Like, why would anybody lie about it being round??

What benefit would that lie produce?

Jotakori

That there were brown recluses where I live.
Also thought that the random "bites" one wakes up with with were typically spider bites.
That spider bites were even common at all, tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom