• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Vlad

So they're doing another Ultra Hardcore 4v4 (season 4b), and season 5 is going to be a FFA with about 15 people. Can't wait!

As much as I liked the idea of teams, I think having them on two entirely different islands really hurt things, as it completely eliminated the possibility of anybody accidentally running into each other, which kept things fairly exciting during the FFA.

Things should definitely be interesting with a ton of people, though.

bengraven

Sorry about that wooden pole you can remove it if it's in the way. The rail I built there leads to Roche's Oasis.

Nah, it's perfectly fine. I just need to go back and finish the house.

I might stick a little ladder going up one side of it. I had meant to eventually go and build a road from my house to a road a mile or so away, but I'll skip that now.

bengraven

Did biomes get fucked up again? Why is my swamp now full of clean water and there's a snow area right next door where it used to be forest?

Did biomes get fucked up again? Why is my swamp now full of clean water and there's a snow area right next door where it used to be forest?

Yeah, biomes went crazy with the 1.1 update. The area around our domes was pretty normal but after the update it changed to a mixture of snow and swamp.

EDIT: Finally no longer a Junior! :-D

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah, biomes went crazy with the 1.1 update. The area around our domes was pretty normal but after the update it changed to a mixture of snow and swamp.

EDIT: Finally no longer a Junior! :-D

Well, the real problem is that snow was turned off in 1.0, so taiga biomes just appeared to be normal forests. Then in 1.1 snow got put back in, so alot of what previously seemed like just hilly forests started snowing all of a sudden. It's why there aren't any true snow biomes around the spawn on Neocraft, because all of that area was explored before 1.1 came out. In fact, even today on Neocraft the only snowy plain biomes are at the outlying areas of the server.

So, on the topic of the Neocraft online map. I've been experimenting with Overviewer as a replacement for tectonicus, and it's nice, but the maps it creates are huge in file size compared to what we had before. However, I've tweaked it and coerced it into actually making an updated map of Neocraft that will fit in my dropbox account. The map I made last night is just over 1.8GB in size (my dropbox account is 2GB). So, it will fit online. Problem is that this 1.8GB map is the overworld only. No night map. No cave map. Adding either of those doubles the file size and makes it too big to upload. Also, Overviewer does not show things like player locations either. It is strictly a map of the world. But, an updated and current map of the world.

I will say this, I like Overviewer. I like it better than tectonicus, it seems to pan and zoom better and it just looks better to me. I wish it had the capacity to make maps with a smaller file size that included caves and night maps.

So, do we want an updated Neocraft overworld only map, or do we want to keep the current outdated map with caves and player locations?

I vote for the updated map, since most of the stuff underground isn't really worth looking at and I don't feel a night map is necessary when just taking a look at the overall scenery and builds.

EDIT: I've just been looking through threads about Tectonicus on the Minecraft forums and it appears the creator has made the project open source because he's no longer going to be working on it. The details are in this thread and he's also released a final version which is Anvil compatible: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1165662-tectonicus-now-open-source/

So maybe you can still try this newer version of Tectonicus, if you haven't already Mengy. Also it looks like other users might be adding their own updated versions to the thread.

DOUBLE EDIT: I believe the latest version is found here: http://code.google.com/p/tectonicus/downloads/list

Mengy

I vote for the updated map, since most of the stuff underground isn't really worth looking at and I don't feel a night map is necessary when just taking a look at the overall scenery and builds.

EDIT: I've just been looking through threads about Tectonicus on the Minecraft forums and it appears the creator has made the project open source because he's no longer going to be working on it. The details are in this thread and he's also released a final version which is Anvil compatible: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1165662-tectonicus-now-open-source/

So maybe you can still try this newer version of Tectonicus, if you haven't already Mengy. Also it looks like other users might be adding their own updated versions to the thread.

DOUBLE EDIT: I believe the latest version is found here: http://code.google.com/p/tectonicus/downloads/list

Well shit, that must have just come out last night, because I checked the thread yesterday and there still wasn't an update.

Allright, I'll see if I can't mess with this new version tonight.

Morokh

new map with overworld only would be nice, because there has been a lot going on lately, and many veterans have returned and are a bit lost.

bengraven

Jumped in and finally finished my house. Still kind of cranky that my swamp isn't swamp, but I'll just put in really big trees in the water and trick it.

Mengy

Allright, so I started the new tectonicus running last night as I went to bed, making the new Neocraft map, figured I'd let it compile while I sleep. This morning, eight hours later, and it's not even halfway done making the map yet!!! I let my PC keep running as I left for work, hopefully it's done by the time I get home tonight. Version 2.09 of tectonicus is horribly slower than before, I have no idea why it's taking so long.

Allright, so I started the new tectonicus running last night as I went to bed, making the new Neocraft map, figured I'd let it compile while I sleep. This morning, eight hours later, and it's not even halfway done making the map yet!!! I let my PC keep running as I left for work, hopefully it's done by the time I get home tonight. Version 2.09 of tectonicus is horribly slower than before, I have no idea why it's taking so long.

It's probably mainly due to the new map format (so 4x the blocks in the same area including air) and I also expect it was just a quick fix to make it Anvil compatible.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Considered using the microsoft dropbox equivalent? I think it gives something like 20GB free, but I could be way off. I was fortunate to get over 6GB of free space with dropbox.

Does anyone have any advice for buying a laptop in the £400-500 range that plays Minecraft relatively decently? My current laptop is close to biting the dust and getting on Neocraft with this thing is next to impossible at this point :/

Does anyone have any advice for buying a laptop in the £400-500 range that plays Minecraft relatively decently? My current laptop is close to biting the dust and getting on Neocraft with this thing is next to impossible at this point :/
Probabably any laptop with a discrete GPU would work pretty well. For example, I can average around 30fps in normal view distance with a Pentium 4 and PCI Geforce 6200 (desktop, but still vastly inferior to the lowest entry level laptops nowadays).

It will probably depend on whether it can work solely server side, or everyone has to install the mod. If it's the latter then I don't think mods like that are a good idea for Neocraft.

Also, the lift mod you linked to looks like it requires the Better Than Wolves mod, which isn't SMP compatible.

Vlad

any way to get an elevator mod on the server :D
(like: Lift mod)

One of the old GAF servers (Exano's), had a server-side mod called Craftbook installed which, among other things, did have lifts of a sort. You'd put a sign on a wall with "[Lift Up]" on it, then a sign on a wall somewhere directly above it with "[Lift Down]" on it. When you right-clicked the bottom sign, it'd teleport you to the top one, and same with the top one going down.

spuit*11

Banned
The tectonicus map has been partly updated. But mostly just the waters have updated, not the landmasses.

Is it still in progress or did something go boo boo?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
For those of you that play on yeticraft, but haven't seen the newest upgrades, here they are:

We have made it so you can now sethome to two locations. One will be your default and the other is a named home. Players of the opposite factions cannot sethome inside your faction zone. This stops them from tping over to your area and killing people without having to actually get there.

Combat Upgrades:

- If you engage in PVP, you CANNOT log off until 10 seconds have passed with no damage. If you do, an NPC will spawn in your location with YOUR inventory. If that NPC is killed, they will drop your items and you will be killed upon login.
- You will also not be allowed to use /home, /spawn, or /temple while engaged in PVP. The commands will simply be denied to you until 10 seconds of no player damage have occurred.
- command: /yt will tell you if you have time remaining before it is safe to logoff. It's only 10 seconds after the last damage taken by another player...

End Regen:

- I created a regen plugin for the end which regens the entire world, as well as enderdragon(s) at certain intervals. That's right enderdragons, possibly plural. Upon regen, the end can spawn 1-3 enderdragons randomly. This should make things interesting.
- If you enter with multiple people, the enderdragon will not drop XP. Instead, players will be rewarded XP based on the damage they cause. This way the player that does no damage doesn't swoop in and suck up lots of the XP when an ED is killed.

If you have any other suggestions for yeticraft, let me know here or post on our forum for myself or Trainee.

Morokh

The tectonicus map has been partly updated. But mostly just the waters have updated, not the landmasses.

Not a cache problem, seems some parts were not updated, and some are not visible in some zoom levels. (can't see All of Neolulu with full zoom)

-Minsc-

More of the map seems to be updated than there was last night, still glitchy though. I'm looking forward to when Mengy gets it all straightened out.

The only problem I have with the new color scheme is the glass blocks, the are not as transparent. All the other blocks look better.

Mengy

More of the map seems to be updated than there was last night, still glitchy though. I'm looking forward to when Mengy gets it all straightened out.

The only problem I have with the new color scheme is the glass blocks, the are not as transparent. All the other blocks look better.

The problem is my upload speed has been horrible. I've been uploading the new map for two days now and although it keeps chugging along it is taking forever. I'm hoping it finishes today, as I'm tired of keeping dropbox open so it keeps uploading.

Also, it took my PC 14 hours to create the new map with tectonicus 2.09. I love the new height being increased, but wow did it mess up map making, lol.

spuit*11

Banned
Great success.
iEXIKM4KTN3PZ.png

ibuFo3ihw5Vccg.png

Ok I am not the happiest bunny in the world right now. It seems we have a griefer amongst us. I was working in the Echo dome (amusement park) and was a bit bored so I thought I would check on the shops in the main dome. As I was going to bravo I saw this :-

py3Au.jpg

Some little shit thought it would be cool to cover Tavara's tree house in lava. I managed to put out all the fires and remove the lava but obviously there has been extensive damage.

SxpIp.jpg

I have my suspicions who did this, it was obviously done shortly before I came online and about 30 minutes before I joined the server I checked to see who was on and there was only 1 person on there. I won't name that person here but I will be having a chat with Ark and Mengy about them.

Meanwhile it might be wise for anyone with builds to check to see if they have been compromised in anyway.

I was online little over an hour ago with nobody else on, so I do hope it's not me your thinking of Charlie.

Is that you Mackroid ? if so no it wasn't you. The person I saw was not a regular so you guys can all stop panicking :p. It was a fairly new guy I hadn't seen before which makes me even more suspicious.

It also looks like Neolulu got hit too, put out the fires and removed the lava but there is obviously some damage. It now looks like all the warps were hit by this retard.

I don't know whether it needs a mod or not, but on some servers I've been on the admins can look to see who placed or altered a certain block last, therefore singling out griefers. In light of these developments I think it would be worth looking into.

legacyzero

Banned
There didn't seem to be any damage to Sky City that I could tell. But they torched Neolulu??

OMG Isobelise is gonna be PIIIIIISSSED.

It was bound to happen eventually. I don't recall any griefing since I joined the server.

Yeah, I was afraid of this. There have been ALOT of new members on lately. Random people popping on and off whom i've never seen online before.

Ark

It was bound to happen eventually. I don't recall any griefing since I joined the server.

We were griefed around October last year, that was a barrel of laughs.

Also the event that prompted me to make everyone PM me for citizen status, not that it really changes much but it seemed to work for a while.

OK I am rolling the world back to the latest backup which was taken at 8:02am (I have checked the backup is unaffected by the griefing). It is going to take several minutes for the backup to do all it's "business" so the server will be off line.

Once it is done I will let you guys know.

UPDATE

WOW that was quick, I thought it would take several minutes :p all done and everything is back to normal.

OK I am rolling the world back to the latest backup which was taken at 8:02am (I have checked the backup is unaffected by the griefing). It is going to take several minutes for the backup to do all it's "business" so the server will be off line.

Once it is done I will let you guys know.

UPDATE

WOW that was quick, I thought it would take several minutes :p all done and everything is back to normal.

Has the griefer been dealt with? If not couldn't this person log back in and just do it all over again?

Top Bottom