• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Dragon's Dogma's ranged combat not standard in ARPGs and Souls-likes?

Raptomex

How is Dragon's Dogma's combat not standard in ARPGs and Souls-likes? That's the real question. Every time I encounter a giant monster in any game, I want to climb on it and stab it in the face. But, yes, ranged is also extremely fun.

AFAIR it's 30FPS with full 1080p (without the borders of the PS360 version).

That's terrible. If you people got at least a GTX 970 and any given i5 processor, just get the PC version. It runs at 1080p@60 FPS with ease. Possibly even 1440p. Don't play this in 30 FPS unless you have to.

Good because I thought DD was an average game at best and very little should be learned from it (climbing was fun but janky). In something like the Souls games ranged combat takes on the role of being methodical like the rest of the game is and a fast archer would cause a massive imbalance, in DD it takes on the Legolas approach which fits in with the rest of the combat.

Kill3r7

Question is, why is there no sequel yet??

But yes, shooting combat is practically God tier, along with the melee combat. The hit detection and control in DD is second to none.

Because most publishers are not rushing out of the door to greenlight a single player experience (no microtransactions) that did not sell incredibly well the first time around. Hopefully the remaster on consoles sells well and we see a sequel.

Soar

I agree, but I use ranged weapons in Nioh quite a lot. All those juicy headshots. Was also trouble free. One thing I disliked about souls is the weapon weight, which causes a lot of QoL issues if you want to have a decent ranged weapon on the ready.

Castef

Banned
The ranged combat in Dragon's Dogma feels tighter than some A-tier shooters out there but hell, I don't even expect games to nail it to this extent. Just let me press L2 to aim, R2 to shoot and possibly have some different skills on the face buttons like x5 Arrows or spread shot or whatever. I'm not a coder but this doesn't sound so hard compared to many other things these games pull off. I remember creating a melee class in DD and ending up pewpewing for the majority of the end game because it felt so goddamn good and it was strong as hell.

Ranged combat in Souls? Shameful. Witcher 3? Crap (anything else but a crossbow in that game?). Nioh? Closer to DD but not quite there. And surely some others games with equally unsatisfying combat in the genre.

In a genre that sure seems to trade a lot of ideas and inspiriations back and forth, this one mechanic didn't make it? Come on. It would improve all these games by a ton.

it also works this well because the enemies are... ehm... stupid. I mean, real stupid.

Ferr986

Good because I thought DD was an average game at best and very little should be learned from it (climbing was fun but janky). In something like the Souls games ranged combat takes on the role of being methodical like the rest of the game is and a fast archer would cause a massive imbalance, in DD it takes on the Legolas approach which fits in with the rest of the combat.

Full Ranger is slower in DD (you can only walk while aiming) and it's as fun if not more than Strider. And devastating!

That being said, it's true that 1:1 DD archery can be translated indo Dark Souls, but is also true that DS archery is subpar.

epmode

Horizon zero dawn has amazing range combat.L2 for aiming R2 for shooting. It has multiple arrow types and a x3 shot . It also has other types of range weapons that when combined makes for a excellent combat experience.

Horizon's combat is fun but the lack of gravity/arrow drop really hurts the bow. Might as well just make it a gun at that point.

Drek

1. nothing should be "standard" in any genre.

2. While ranged combat in DD is great it is also comparatively overpowered.

3. That's OP in a game where many encounters focus on either fast moving enemies, enemies who use 3D movement (flight) to increase the challenge, and/or packs o enemies coming at you all at once. You put that in a Souls game where the enemies are slower, more predictable, and most lacking much lateral mobility let alone vertical mobility and you'd basically turn the game into a goddamn shooting gallery. There's a reason why magic missile cheesing was a thing in Demon's Souls when it wasn't even that powerful.

The fact that no one has come along and made a meaningful follow up to DD is the problem, not that existing IPs with their own hook need to copy it. The MonHun franchise has kind of introduced some of those elements, I'm hoping that MonHun: World adds a bunch more, but I'm doubtful.

1. nothing should be "standard" in any genre.
While I agree that there shouldn't be ONE standard for all games, a good fighting system should be standard for every action-heavy RPG. It's the biggest weakpoint of series like The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Gothic etc.

sublimit

Banned
Maxed out all the classes in this game and had tons of fun with each one.I'm usually a melee fan but the ranged classes were incredible in this game.

Question is, why is there no sequel yet??

But yes, shooting combat is practically God tier, along with the melee combat. The hit detection and control in DD is second to none.

Because the original was one of Capcom's biggest titles ever and it only sold 1.3m.

tbf, the sales expectations on the thing were absolutely batshit crazy. Like, to the tune of ten million.

i'd be quite surprised if they didn't make a tidy profit on it anyway, tho. Aside from monster animations, game is janky as fuck and lacks polish in nearly all areas.

i'd be quite surprised if they didn't make a tidy profit on it anyway, tho. Aside from monster animations, game is janky as fuck and lacks polish in nearly all areas.
It's neither janky nor does it lack polish. It had some technical problems. If anything it lacked optimization to get rid of the bars and unsteady frame-rate. But the gameplay-mechanics and controls are perfectly fine. They are among if not the best in the genre.

Capcom should simply improve on the forumlar. Add regions to the world, add new classes, monsters, quests and dungeons and call it a sequel. I don't understand while developers spent years building a game engine/system and then only put out one game. It's such a waste of resources.

While I agree that there shouldn't be ONE standard for all games, a good fighting system should be standard for every action-heavy RPG. It's the biggest weakpoint of series like The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Gothic etc.

Good combat systems are very rare unless that is the core foundation of the game. Even when it is the combat system can still be poor; Dragon's Dogma is a good example of this, it has good elements but it is highly flawed and that shouldn't be the case considering how bare bones the world building, story and quests are. It's an average progression based game pretending to be a skill based game but there are so many flaws in the combat system that if you are a big fan of ARPG's or character action games they really stand out and diminish the good elements. Though the combat system is better than the games you mentioned they also got a lot right and combat wasn't the sole focus. If they create a sequel I hope they focus on fixing the combat elements rather than the other problems first as they could create something special from it.

]It's neither janky nor does it lack polish. It had some technical problems.[/B] If anything it lacked optimization to get rid of the bars and unsteady frame-rate. But the gameplay-mechanics and controls are perfectly fine. They are among if not the best in the genre.

Capcom should simply improve on the forumlar. Add regions to the world, add new classes, monsters, quests and dungeons and call it a sequel. I don't understand while developers spent years building a game engine/system and then only put out one game. It's such a waste of resources.

Dude, before dark arisen almost errybody got the innkeeper as their waifu simply cuz that was the dude that everybody talked the most to. That's jank. Bandit fort has pretty much nothing but some bandits sitting on the ground the middle of nowhere for no reason whatsoever. That's lack of polish. The game, as you said, had some technical problems, by which you mean "the framerate ground to a fucking halt if you used magic cannon or some of the bigly spells". That's jank and lack of polish. If a monster bends over while you're crawling it, you never know in which direction pressing up on the analog stick will send you. That's jank. The king's castle is 90% rooms made of stone and crates in them. That's lack of polish. The shadow fort has nothing but crates inside. That's lack of polish. I most certainly could go on.

Like, i loved the game to bits too, but come on.

They don't even need to add new regions to the globe, just, yknow, populate them better and stuff. Make them feel alive at least during the day. Or lived in.

Tigress

Why isn't the melee combat in other ARPGs? Honestly, I found the story and roleplaying of DD weak, but it made up for it with the much better combat in general. I'd love to see a Bethesda like game but with the combat of DD and maybe the shooting of Horizon (Which I found the superior bow combat of any game I've played...).

Why isn't the melee combat in other ARPGs? Honestly, I found the story and roleplaying of DD weak, but it made up for it with the much better combat in general. I'd love to see a Bethesda like game but with the combat of DD and maybe the shooting of Horizon (Which I found the superior bow combat of any game I've played...).

Souls-likes are usually pretty competent with melee combat. Nioh, Souls and The Surge are all good (although not equally good, I think Nioh is #1). I agree however that stabbing the leg of a huge monster is just lame as opposed to climbing it and hitting its weak spot, but good luck trying to persuade the insanely conservative Souls players that their game could improve a bit too, even if that drastically changes the game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ranged in Souls is slow for balance reasons. If you were to put Dragon's Dogma bow gameplay in any Souls game you'd completely break it.

Pretty much.

Besides Mystic Archer in Dogma was pretty damn broken as well. The first three hours were tense, then the 30+ beyond lacked opposition to handle the long-reaching death(never played the expansion though).

Sesha

One of the best combat systems around in the action RPG genre is "small"?

Ranged combat in particular is "smaller" than the broader stuff I was thinking of, yes.

That was 2013. Now there are more than 800k owners on steam and there is gog.

2012, and even with that it's not a lot when it was their biggest and most expensive title ever along with RE6. They probably hoped for 3m by the end of the fiscal year, at least, rather than 3m for both titles in total.

tbf, the sales expectations on the thing were absolutely batshit crazy. Like, to the tune of ten million.

That was a "we want it to sell 10m" rather than projected sales, though.

With the character and monster animations and effects, and range of abilities, and the scale of the world and production values of certain set pieces, I expect it will have cost a hefty amount.

My comment may be buried, but those who discover and master dragon's dogmas solo runs are with no healing items are in for a treat.

You will notice way more perfect parry counters with the warrior, safe rolling with the strider and all sorts of crazy combat techniques to keep you alive.

Assassin solo runs especially at night are awesome.

Top Bottom