• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete |OT| Welcome to the Statistical Playground

Cerium

Reversible cover:

vHEdSU4.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Are you an SRPG fan? These games definitely aren't for everyone, even fans of the genre.

I really liked D1, couldn't get into 2-3 and never bothered with 4.

The story so far in the demo is trash. Maybe if I could overlook that part and get deeply invested into the systems but the main reason I liked D1 so much was the refreshing story. Back then it was quite novel!

Eusis

The story so far in the demo is trash. Maybe if I could overlook that part and get deeply invested into the systems but the main reason I liked D1 so much was the refreshing story. Back then it was quite novel!
I think it was also kind of flash-in-the-pan on the story front. It's hard to recapture that sort of angle again so the immediate sequel goes a more mundane route and the later ones just go outright zany.

oSoLucky

Well, he has a Fire Emblem avatar.

Yeah, I know a ton of people who aren't fans of the genre in general, but like the FE games, or FFT or Tactics Ogre as one offs.

The stories are nothing to write home about, especially compared to some of the greats in the genre. Some do enjoy them, but I find that more fans of the series like it for its gameplay offerings and the story grows on them(purely anecdotal). I couldn't stand 2 of the main characters in this one, but glad I got through it because it definitely has the most open ended gameplay of any game in the genre. A lot more than even previous games in the series. You have to play Disgaea for something completely different than FE/FFT.

selo

I've never played a disgaea game before, but reading the threads/posts, I got the impression that people don't get these games based on the story, right? Its more about the beefy gameplay/systems.

Shinjica

I've never played a disgaea game before, but reading the threads/posts, I got the impression that people don't get these games based on the story, right? Its more about the beefy gameplay/systems.

Disgaea 1 has a great Story. Shame the sequel Story wise are inferior to the first

Archtreyz

Yeah the story, at least for me, is throwaway shlock. I like the characters in 5 though. But it's the gameplay that matters. The systems and leveling are so deep and engrossing.

Passose

Banned
Is there anywhere to buy the special edition?I tried amazon but they already sold out the special edition of disgaea 5 complete

AniHawk

Is there anywhere to buy the special edition?I tried amazon but they already sold out the special edition of disgaea 5 complete

it's only on the nis america store and they sold out a week ago. sometimes stuff goes back on sale on occasion - i think that's how their wishlist system works as it should alert you to it. but if you wanted it to play right now you're probably not in luck.

oSoLucky

My man!

Yeah, Gender Bendered Laharl is amazing. and also
Best Girl <3

Never seen more truth in 1 post. Though that's partly due to the competition not being very stiff lol. Maybe Jennifer. Dunno why they keep bringing the same characters back every game but won't touch her and Mr. Champloo
BOOM!
. Who the hell likes Fuka and Desco anyway? No one /spoiler.

Now I'm conflicted. Since I couldn't find a game shop with a LE here in Seattle, I need to figure out how to get the game. I love physical editions, especially with that cover art but I have $67 in eShop credit leftover from the nasty breakup between me and my Wii U.

Murkas

Yes. Get Christo a Maid, another Sage and 1 more generic unit - Professor works great here. Teach them all Angel Song, Cursed Dance, Evil Eye and Explorer. That shouldn't be any more than a half hour of work considering where you already are in the game. Also equip them with Softening Aura, Relaxation and Explorer(optional). Give your Sage standard DD evilities(Violence/Purgatory/GD/etc) but add on Twins Heads and Bullying. Priority is 2nd Sage, Maid, Christo then last generic. Keep your main Sage on the Base Panel and use Multi-Attacker. Magic Boost if there's enough space for a 3rd unit. Use Land Decimator and Afternoon Tea to clean up any extras. It's a bit of effort to set up, and it's ideal to have at least one other strong character to finish of stragglers or eat an attack if needed. I was able to clear 20* Prinny Rooms at 40 or 50m stats with this method(and using Alma Ice Sculpture).

When my Sage was at the 40m point, I found that I would get low on SP after about 7 or 8 floors so the relaxation helped a lot. Land Decimator at lvl 99, +9 costs 1,007,769 space so 6 of those every map add up quickly.

There are guides of slightly different methods but this is what I found most effective personally. I can make a video of my whole IW setup if you want to give some ideas.

So I managed to get my buff characters with those evility setups (took me a while because I was so lost coming back into this after all these months) and I'm not able to equip all unique evilities as I need to kill Carnage Dark (who I haven't killed yet) to unlock the final evility slot and my buffer characters are to weak to land a finishing blow, unless there's some overpowered strategy I'm not remembering lol.

Been watching this video who has the exact setup you used and it looks like I can get away with not using Cursed Dance, will try later today and see.

selo

So, just noticed a few things that were not in the demo for obvious reasons, the special content NPC. I see there's a set of weapons, 1 million money, and some extra scenarios. Will taking the weapons and money ruin my experience? I always prefer to play the game as it was meant to be without any advantages.

So whoever is the publisher for this in Australia can get stuffed, retail version has been delayed till June 2nd, can get it on the eShop this week but was really wanting to get the boxed copy >.<

This is like the 3rd time a 3rd party Switch game has been delayed by a few weeks in Australia for no reason at all :(

I just want something big and beefy to play on my Switch at the moment :(

So whoever is the publisher for this in Australia can get stuffed, retail version has been delayed till June 2nd, can get it on the eShop this week but was really wanting to get the boxed copy >.<

This is like the 3rd time a 3rd party Switch game has been delayed by a few weeks in Australia for no reason at all :(

I just want something big and beefy to play on my Switch at the moment :(

Yeah, I feel that. The distributor has something of a history with doing the same thing with just about all the NIS stuff they bring out here, and it's frustrating.

Yeah, I feel that. The distributor has something of a history with doing the same thing with just about all the NIS stuff they bring out here, and it's frustrating.
Like I really really want to support the local market, but if stuff like this keeps happening I'm just going to order from Amazon or Ozgameshop going forward :/

ncslamm

Waiting until Best Buy opens at 10am EST to pick up my copy. It's supposed to be a dreary day today so with nothing else to do I'm sure I'll put several hours into it.

I can get around 4 hours out of it myself, on medium brightness and mid to low sound output. Probably something like 4h15m

Yea, it seemed like I got a little more than I would have from Zelda, which is nice.

Yeah, I like ordering from NISA because their stuff always arrives pristine. It's why I usually opt for buying stuff from their site rather than Amazon, because even with the Prime discount most limited/collector's editions I get from Amazon arrive in a really poor state.

Agree. In this day where everyone wants to throw everything in a bubble mailer and could care less about damage, it's worth paying a little extra for good packaging to me.

apd_ng

So, just noticed a few things that were not in the demo for obvious reasons, the special content NPC. I see there's a set of weapons, 1 million money, and some extra scenarios. Will taking the weapons and money ruin my experience? I always prefer to play the game as it was meant to be without any advantages.

The money makes it easier to buy equipment and consumables; but the good stuff is locked behind the shop levels, so you have access to low level stuff and a lotta money so money is fine to pick up if you really want

the weapons themselves aren't that great so you can pick em up aswell

the extra scenerios contains the dlc chars; those however are overpowered for super early game;
the weapons they come with super strong for early game. You can always pick up the extra dlc characters if you really want to play them and un-equip em for a more fair experience. the map themselves are quite easy though, good for leveling up, the leveling goes up by 5 every chapter you finish, so it starts off at lvl 5 goes to 10, 15, 20 etc

Pygrus

Might just buy this to show support for these sort of games on switch. Only played the second one in the series but that was ages ago.

Whizkid7

Came in the mail last night, was playing nonstop for a good three hours. I missed you Disgaea, and being able to take you wherever I go is even better!

Also, yeah, DLC characters way overpowered right in the beginning, but I must have Laharl!

-Mikey-

I have the 3rd stage / world unlocked now, poison something. Last night I spent about two hours unlocking new classes! They're the Thief, Gunner and Magic Knight, I think. I'm terrible at remembering their names.

So, I'm wondering if I should keep unlocking these new classes or continue on with the story. I have no problem with grinding, but I'm not sure if it's efficient this way. I'm also starting to out level the mobs in the current zone and I'm not sure if that is a big deal.

oSoLucky

So I managed to get my buff characters with those evility setups (took me a while because I was so lost coming back into this after all these months) and I'm not able to equip all unique evilities as I need to kill Carnage Dark (who I haven't killed yet) to unlock the final evility slot and my buffer characters are to weak to land a finishing blow, unless there's some overpowered strategy I'm not remembering lol.

Been watching this video who has the exact setup you used and it looks like I can get away with not using Cursed Dance, will try later today and see.

When I first was going after Carnage Dark, I had to use combo attacks to be able to take him out. It definitely is really hard. If you can get him whittled down with your main squad, make 6 generic Archers and attack with them in turn. Their Support Attack will boost the combo up to 3x and then use your character that needs the slot to get the finishing blow. I'm not sure if Tower Laser works or not. The first turn, just turtle behind the base panel with either a really strong character or a throwaway. He'll port to you, then next one he should hit you and give a bunch of debuffs. After that bring out archers, use a Professor to buff your support unit and go to town.

I can give more specific advice if I know just how much of his hp you can do in 1 hit.

I have the 3rd stage / world unlocked now, poison something. Last night I spent about two hours unlocking new classes! They're the Thief, Gunner and Magic Knight, I think. I'm terrible at remembering their names.

So, I'm wondering if I should keep unlocking these new classes or continue on with the story. I have no problem with grinding, but I'm not sure if it's efficient this way. I'm also starting to out level the mobs in the current zone and I'm not sure if that is a big deal.

Play however you want! With the Cheat Shop you can always make the story enemies higher level to suit your levels. You can't really mess up your game and it takes a lot to out level 20*. For pure efficiency I would say to figure out a few characters that you want to use forever(I made a long post with suggestions yesterday) and do your unlocks on them via sub classing. You get all unlocks from a class's levels that way.

**If anyone feels the desire to grind story levels, don't. Something I completely forgot about - Item World enemies have a fraction of the stats that story enemies do, and give the same xp per level. That's in addition to leveling up whatever item/weapon you're in. The maps near the start of an item are usually small and easy to navigate too.**

Tried the demo and thought it looked good but I still can't tell if I'd like this game overall.

$60.....I just don't know. I usually buy games digitally except for games I know I won't like over the long term/just want to try for a short period but this seems like something that, if I did end up enjoying it, I'd want digitally.

How are some of you "I've never played Disgaea before" people liking it so far?

13ruce

Banned
Just preordered it for 50 euro's somewhere the demo was fun and the Nintendo Trailer looked awesome stacking characters on top of each other lmao.

Top Bottom