• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete |OT| Welcome to the Statistical Playground

Yeah, I had an Amazon preorder for this that I ordered a week ago and it was "in stock" for preorders with the prime discount.

Now, it hasn't shipped and no ship date has been listed.

I complained to customer service, and they actually said that I should check out some of the third party sellers selling the game for 59.99$ with shipping fulfilled by Amazon. I mean, they literally pointed me towards drop-shippers. Jesus christ on a cracker that is incompetent.

It is really lame because, I don't even really care. I just figured I should get a physical copy of a game for my switch. I could walk into basically any retailer in town and pick up a copy (they are in stock, I checked) or just download it. Way to drop the ball Amazon.

For some reason most NISA games on Amazon have never had a "release date delivery" option. Just checked my preorders for Culdcept and the Danganronpa games, and none have release date delivery. I just plan to have any of their games two days late.

EDIT: Mine shipped today, for delivery on Thursday.

Yeah, that is fine, if they don't do release date delivery. But I would, at the least, expect Amazon to honor pre-orders and ship the items on the release date.

Zyae

Is everyone accepting the special content stuff. Does it break the game in terms of over pouring yourself?

Thoraxes

I still can't believe I got this game for $40 thanks to that Visa checkout promo months ago.

Looking forward to hopping in.

Poppyseed

I've been playing the demo and hating it. It's far too self aware and complicated, and I can't see the appeal. Maybe this just isn't for me..

oSoLucky

Is everyone accepting the special content stuff. Does it break the game in terms of over pouring yourself?

The items are stronger than anything that you can find until later in the game. As far as characters, getting DLC ones just allow you to use "good" units without struggling with bad generics early on. There's no real negative. Going to re-quote my post about why breaking the game is fine:

You won't feel so bad when you run into an early post game map(that by the way is required for progression) and all the enemies are level 1500-2k and your whole squad is like 400 and getting 1 shot by them lol. Like you said, much different than a game like FE, where permadeath is a thing on higher levels or FFT where you can hit a hard brick wall if you didn't save before a chain of events to properly grind. Being OP and figuring out OP ways to kill the OP as **** enemies is the big draw.

The maps end up getting tougher too. There are ones where a squad of archers are out of reach for all but your range and you have to navigate a maze of geo panels to be able to open them up to attack. All while battling ground enemies and getting pelted.

Then a map where 5 Wrestlers throw 5 strong enemies at you from what feels like 2 continents away so after the first turn your Base Panel I'd swarmed and you don't have any safe spots to hide.

Then there are the maps where you have to split your squad in half and make 2 towers of 4 to reach a geo panel that will allow the rest to move up and engage the enemy. Oh yeah, it will be 12-15 spaces away so the member that was thrown is fighting solo for 2-3 until the rest of the support arrives.

Oooooooor, you can go power level to like 1000 and worry about none of that and just 1 shit everything. Ooooooor, level to 1000 but then level the enemies to 1200 to make it even harder. That's what the game is about. Freedom to break it or break your own will as you choose. Play how you have fun and enjoy!

To add on to what Omega said, there's an endgame item that has high movement and allows you to teleport through enemies. It starts out at around 100 in all stats. I just started leveling mine and after 60 cleared floors in Land of Carnage 20* difficulty, all the stats are around 600. It gets exponentially more, but I've gotta get that to 2 million lol.

Cheese away. You can always increase the enemy levels by using the Cheat Shop once you hit Ch. 3. The more interesting levels come later in the story anyway. The first few Worlds are pretty straight forward.

I've been playing the demo and hating it. It's far too self aware and complicated, and I can't see the appeal. Maybe this just isn't for me..

I've been a gigantic Disgaea fan since the first on PS2 and I think I've seen this opinion more than those that immediately fall in love with it. The games definitely aren't for everyone. Some stay with it and end up living but those usually already love SRPGs or insane anime.

The items are stronger than anything that you can find until later in the game. As far as characters, getting DLC ones just allow you to use "good" units without struggling with bad generics early on. There's no real negative. Going to re-quote my post about why breaking the game is fine:

Cheese away. You can always increase the enemy levels by using the Cheat Shop once you hit Ch. 3. The more interesting levels come later in the story anyway. The first few Worlds are pretty straight forward.

I've been a gigantic Disgaea fan since the first on PS2 and I think I've seen this opinion more than those that immediately fall in love with it. The games definitely aren't for everyone. Some stay with it and end up living but those usually already love SRPGs or insane anime.

Cheesing is pretty much the whole point of Disgaea anyway.
Same here. 2 was my least favorite, since the system is pretty old and wasn't that great of a story.
Story wise Disgaea 1 is still the best, has the best characters, etc. Every time I get Laharl on my party I smile again lol. In what game did he get a sister? And I also LOVE Girl Laharl LOL
4 off course was the best in term of systems since the game just optimizes itself, but I'm gonna guess 5 will beat it again.

Poppyseed

I want to like it, which is why I'm trying to stick with it. I just feel like it throws a lot of information at you and craziness at the same time and it's all so surreal. Like e.g. Weapon mastery. I leveled up a weapon and it doesn't really tell you what that even means.

And why are enemies able to shoot through blocks etc? On the second level "Shriveled Vein" enemies are shooting through the Lost Army Box. Just takes me out of the game...

I want to like it, which is why I'm trying to stick with it. I just feel like it throws a lot of information at you and craziness at the same time and it's all so surreal. Like e.g. Weapon mastery. I leveled up a weapon and it doesn't really tell you what that even means.

And why are enemies able to shoot through blocks etc? On the second level "Shriveled Vein" enemies are shooting through the Lost Army Box. Just takes me out of the game...

I do have to agree on this point. I haven't played Disgaea in 5 years now, and all the new systems and stuff are downright confusing even to someone who's been played every game in the series.

For someone who's brand new it can be downright intimidating.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Its a lot of stuff, but its not actually that complicated, or rather most of the complexity is optional. Weapon Mastery isn't leveling up a weapon but leveling up your characters skill with a class of weapons.

I do have to agree on this point. I haven't played Disgaea in 5 years now, and all the new systems and stuff are downright confusing even to someone who's been played every game in the series.

For someone who's brand new it can be downright intimidating.

I haven't played since one but I'm focusing on just the stuff I know so far, so weapon mastery, item world, and reincarnation basically

First 10 minutes of the game, a zombie chick asks me if I want her to wear a bunny suit she found and a prinny refers to "licking a girls recorder"...this is going to be bananas, isn't it?

Edit: and, for the record, I don't regret the day 1 purchase one bit

Just finished the story. Took me 20 hours.

Stuck with 4 people for the most part: Laharl, Girl Laharl, Flonne and a generic healer. Surprisingly, this generic healer currently has the highest level with 334. Her name is Lip Gloss, lol. Gotta love the random names the game gives you.

It definitely became tougher towards the end and a big part of that was due to geo panels. They really make you think. There were times where I used a geo panel to block off the enemy path. Or times where I made a big chain of people just to toss them 1 by 1 to get to the other side. It was fun thinking of ways to overcome it but it can get frustrating.

So much to do and I don't even know where to begin, lol. Will probably go through the DLC stories then figure out what to tackle next.

Maybe during my 2nd playthrough I'll pay attention to the story but I never really cared, tbh. I'm here for the grind, lol.

Haven't really played Disgaea since part 1 so there's a ton of stuff for me to learn but everything seems to make grinding quicker than past games.

OmegaDL50

There is two NPCs at the base that tell you this stuff. They stand in front of the fountain.

There is also the tutorial I've written in the OT.

Higher levels in a weapon unlocks higher weapon skills for the type of weapon equipped. Swords and their mastery will unlock Sword related skills, but Mastery itself has another effect that isn't apparent. Mastery goes from 0 to 99 at max. Each point in mastery adds 1% additional stat values to the equipped weapon

0% = base value and at level 99 it is doubled. So an 100 ATK Sword at 0 Sword Master only has 100 ATK. At 99 Mastery it's 200 ATK. All stats on the weapon are doubled at maxed mastery.

Same applies for Armor mastery too. Check out the OT and read the guide. It will help a lot and explain a lot of things.

First 10 minutes of the game, a zombie chick asks me if I want her to wear a bunny suit she found and a prinny refers to "licking a girls recorder"...this is going to be bananas, isn't it?

Edit: and, for the record, I don't regret the day 1 purchase one bit

Yeah, I was reading the dialogues and I realized a character was saying "Shit" during its sentences. I love this game lol

Stuck with 4 people for the most part: Laharl, Girl Laharl, Flonne and a generic healer. Surprisingly, this generic healer currently has the highest level with 334. Her name is Lip Gloss, lol. Gotta love the random names the game gives you.

It definitely became tougher towards the end and a big part of that was due to geo panels. They really make you think. There were times where I used a geo panel to block off the enemy path. Or times where I made a big chain of people just to toss them 1 by 1 to get to the other side. It was fun thinking of ways to overcome it but it can get frustrating.

So much to do and I don't even know where to begin, lol. Will probably go through the DLC stories then figure out what to tackle next.

Maybe during my 2nd playthrough I'll pay attention to the story but I never really cared, tbh. I'm here for the grind, lol.

Haven't really played Disgaea since part 1 so there's a ton of stuff for me to learn but everything seems to make grinding quicker than past games.

Holy crap... I was finding amazing that I played 10 hours of this game today, and here you come finishing the whole thing in one day o_O gratz dude

Stats are capped at 20 Million total. 10 Million for levels and 10 Million for Shards.

There is a 3rd set of 10 million base stat which can be acquired at a lot more work. Sure it's a grind and there's no real point because it's much easier to get the overall stat cap other ways, but it's there.

Chojin

Picked it up today after work. That feeling when you start a new Disgaea. So good. Only on chapter 2 so far. I didn't diddle with the DLC and though I know the characters scale I think I'll save them for post game. That 1 million hl doesn't tempt me in the least either. Disgaea is easy as it is. Besides... I'm one of those weirdos who love making their own characters. Full roster of uniques will get old fast.

Storywise... Its not very interesting so far. I'm sure it'll go off kilter soon enough and back to what I love about this series.

oSoLucky

Cheesing is pretty much the whole point of Disgaea anyway.
Same here. 2 was my least favorite, since the system is pretty old and wasn't that great of a story.
Story wise Disgaea 1 is still the best, has the best characters, etc. Every time I get Laharl on my party I smile again lol. In what game did he get a sister? And I also LOVE Girl Laharl LOL
4 off course was the best in term of systems since the game just optimizes itself, but I'm gonna guess 5 will beat it again.

Sicily came in Disgaea D2(the last one on PS3, after 4). It was a story using the original main cast again(Laharl, Etna, Flonne) and added Girl Laharl and Sicily. Yes, 5 absolutely beats every other game in terms of systems. Hands down. They did away with most restrictions and RNG plays a role in item duping but that's about it.

Those late game geo puzzles and level setups are why I suggest everyone to keep the game a little tough, by using the Cheat Shop if necessary. Some of the levels have 3 or 4 ways to attack and I sometimes would stare at the map for 10 minutes devising the perfect plan. The post-game maps can be good too.

I suggest going through the DLC(I think Priere is 1000 post-game), doing the quests to get the additional challenge maps and joke items unlocked(they have unique innocents and can be used in off hand), then once you have all the maps and characters start on Carnage Dimension. That's going to be the biggest difficulty spike, but also its the only place worth doing serious grinding in.

There is a 3rd set of 10 million base stat which can be acquired at a lot more work. Sure it's a grind and there's no real point because it's much easier to get the overall stat cap other ways, but it's there.

The people who max Eclipse Power are truly insane. I up it as my characters cap but I'd never try to farm it out. I'm currently leveling an Axel Gear(only at like 80TB =/) and with 14 Traps and most weapons at lvl 500 I still have less than 2mil on all my characters. Sage is the highest at about 1.6 or so. I kill every Prinny room I come across. The bank isn't worth my time.

Poppyseed

There is two NPCs at the base that tell you this stuff. They stand in front of the fountain.

There is also the tutorial I've written in the OT.

Higher levels in a weapon unlocks higher weapon skills for the type of weapon equipped. Swords and their mastery will unlock Sword related skills, but Mastery itself has another effect that isn't apparent. Mastery goes from 0 to 99 at max. Each point in mastery adds 1% additional stat values to the equipped weapon

0% = base value and at level 99 it is doubled. So an 100 ATK Sword at 0 Sword Master only has 100 ATK. At 99 Mastery it's 200 ATK. All stats on the weapon are doubled at maxed mastery.

Same applies for Armor mastery too. Check out the OT and read the guide. It will help a lot and explain a lot of things.

Cheers. Any explanation for shooting through objects, though?

Cheers. Any explanation for shooting through objects, though?

There is no concept of line of sight in this game. Battlefield objects will not block ranged attacks from going through them. Only distance (vertical or horizontal) will limit what ranged attacks can hit you or not.

The people who max Eclipse Power are truly insane. I up it as my characters cap but I'd never try to farm it out.

Really, at that point in the game, Eclipse Power is just there to free up another evility slot or two or three from being stat boosters. But damn if building it up isn't slow as hell.

Sicily came in Disgaea D2(the last one on PS3, after 4). It was a story using the original main cast again(Laharl, Etna, Flonne) and added Girl Laharl and Sicily. Yes, 5 absolutely beats every other game in terms of systems. Hands down. They did away with most restrictions and RNG plays a role in item duping but that's about it.

Ack. It's a conundrum, because going back on a Disgaea game always feels like a downgrade if you have played the latest version, but I probably will take a look a Disgaea D2 only because I fucking love the original game's cast.

Cerium

Ack. It's a conundrum, because going back on a Disgaea game always feels like a downgrade if you have played the latest version, but I probably will take a look a Disgaea D2 only because I fucking love the original game's cast.

Don't expect much. D2 is universally considered disappointing in the story department.

oSoLucky

I know what you mean. 4 is the only one I haven't put serious time into and I couldn't go back after D2. All the QoL advances you get used to make it hard. The story in D2 still isn't as good as the first, neither are the side characters. I think 1 and 3's side characters are in a whole other league compared to the rest of the series. D2's post-game was so damn deep though, but it's now outclassed by 5.

Yeah, what Cerium said.

They really need to bring back Jennifer, Mr. Champloo, Kyoko Needleworker and Asuka Cranekick. I miss those specific combo attacks with the ninjas. They had such cool animations.

The weapon dlc only gives you chapter 2 gear so it's not a big deal

Picked it up today after work. That feeling when you start a new Disgaea. So good. Only on chapter 2 so far. I didn't diddle with the DLC and though I know the characters scale I think I'll save them for post game. That 1 million hl doesn't tempt me in the least either. Disgaea is easy as it is. Besides... I'm one of those weirdos who love making their own characters. Full roster of uniques will get old fast.

That's how I feel. I'd love to use laharl and all those guys but I like leveling up all of the fighters and clerics and getting the upgraded classes for them and all that too.

Speaking of, is the sorcerer, celestial hostess and kunoichi like regular classes? I think I'll pick them up if so

oSoLucky

The weapon dlc only gives you chapter 2 gear so it's not a big deal

That's how I feel. I'd love to use laharl and all those guys but I like leveling up all of the fighters and clerics and getting the upgraded classes for them and all that too.

Speaking of, is the sorcerer, celestial hostess and kunoichi like regular classes? I think I'll pick them up if so

Yes they are normal classes. You can subclass ANY generic in the game to another character so you can actually unlock all those advanced classes by just using Laharl if you want.

Holy crap... I was finding amazing that I played 10 hours of this game today, and here you come finishing the whole thing in one day o_O gratz dude

Lol, I bought it about a week and a half ago. 20 hours in one day would be insane!

I suggest going through the DLC(I think Priere is 1000 post-game), doing the quests to get the additional challenge maps and joke items unlocked(they have unique innocents and can be used in off hand), then once you have all the maps and characters start on Carnage Dimension. That's going to be the biggest difficulty spike, but also its the only place worth doing serious grinding in.

I'm playing through the Priere DLC and she's level 190, with 150k HP and about 6K ATK.

I did accept some quests for the challenge maps but haven't started them yet.

Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to the madness.

I think it was a bad idea to do all the DLC first thing. The only characters I knew were from Disgaea 1 and even that story was pretty trite, the rest of them are all "stretch this 30 second premise out to 3 missions and 6 cutscenes" with characters I don't even care about. But I just want to get it over with so I don't have to think about it later. The ones with the Disgaea 3 and 4 characters were especially bad.

I plan on shelving almost all of them, in fact I might just use the ones they handed us off the bat (Nisa, Metallia, Girl Laharl).

OmegaDL50

I think it was a bad idea to do all the DLC first thing. The only characters I knew were from Disgaea 1 and even that story was pretty trite, the rest of them are all "stretch this 30 second premise out to 3 missions and 6 cutscenes" with characters I don't even care about. But I just want to get it over with so I don't have to think about it later. The ones with the Disgaea 3 and 4 characters were especially bad.

I plan on shelving almost all of them, in fact I might just use the ones they handed us off the bat (Nisa, Metallia, Girl Laharl).

It was implemented far more worse in previous games. You couldn't use any special DLC recruits even after putting out money for them until beating the story and getting into the post game. At least with how it is done you actually have the choice if you want to claim them early or not.

Better to actually have the option for the player decide, rather than no option at all. That way everyone gets what they want. If you want the characters immediately, you can do that. If you want to wait until way into the post game. You can do that as well. Don't want them at all. That is also available.

How's the frame pacing in the full game? The hitch every few seconds in the demo bugged me - not enough to skip this version all-together (I have it on PS4 but never got around to playing much), but it would be nice to know.

How's the frame pacing in the full game? The hitch every few seconds in the demo bugged me - not enough to skip this version all-together (I have it on PS4 but never got around to playing much), but it would be nice to know.

Interested in this as well. Very annoying and obvious stuttering in a top down game like this. Also, I don't think there's a res bump when docked. Disappointing.

TheExodu5

Banned

Still there, unfortunately. Annoys me a fair bit.

Digital or Physical

Decision factors:

1) haven't played Disgaea since 2

2) I like Srpgs, but sometimes can get stalled.

3) is this a drag because all of the systems, or are they easy to catch the hang of?

4) how much time is needed to complete the story, and do I need to know anything before jumping in? (If I encounter an inside joke can I google/YouTube the reference without losing too much?)

5) my decision lies around will this hook me or do I go physical if I want to sell at some point?

Thank you!

There is a demo!?!?!? On US eshop?

Crom

Yeah, I had an Amazon preorder for this that I ordered a week ago and it was "in stock" for preorders with the prime discount.

I complained to customer service, and they actually said that I should check out some of the third party sellers selling the game for 59.99$ with shipping fulfilled by Amazon. I mean, they literally pointed me towards drop-shippers. Jesus christ on a cracker that is incompetent.

It is really lame because, I don't even really care. I just figured I should get a physical copy of a game for my switch. I could walk into basically any retailer in town and pick up a copy (they are in stock, I checked) or just download it. Way to drop the ball Amazon.

Amazon has been dropping the ball lately. It is showing up as out of stock on their website now.

Best Buy gives 20% off games also (with a membership) and has delivered every preorder that I made on release day or before

Col.Asher

Same thing happened to me, but i canceled the order as I have a trip this Friday and I wanted to play it. Walmart it is I guiess.

Neoweee

Digital or Physical

Decision factors:

1) haven't played Disgaea since 2

2) I like Srpgs, but sometimes can get stalled.

3) is this a drag because all of the systems, or are they easy to catch the hang of?

4) how much time is needed to complete the story, and do I need to know anything before jumping in? (If I encounter an inside joke can I google/YouTube the reference without losing too much?)

5) my decision lies around will this hook me or do I go physical if I want to sell at some point?

Thank you!

There is a demo!?!?!? On US eshop?

My overall suggestion is Physical, because I think Nintendo DRM and account management remains worst in the industry and I avoid digital when reasonably possible.

Other answers:

1) Skipped 3, D2, and barely played 4, but was impressed by the little I played of four, and remain impressed by 5. There's a lot of great new content features and streamlining since then, while suffering no loss of depth.

2) Other SRPGs often have huge difficulty spikes, but that isn't really the case here.

3) You can focus on whichever parts of the game you want. It takes a few hours before you unlock the Item World and Assembly. If you want to roll with just the story characters, or DLC characters now included in the base game, and ignore class unlocks etc. you can.

4) 20-50 hours for the main story. You can essentially turn up or lower the difficulty through the assembly, and some of the DLC unlocks are essentially just cheats / more money, etc.

5) Even if you play the game 100+ hours and love it, you still have something you can sell later, even if for a little.

Chorazin

Amazon has been dropping the ball lately. It is showing up as out of stock on their website now.

Best Buy gives 20% off games also (with a membership) and has delivered every preorder that I made on release day or before

I ordered mine Monday, no idea when it's gonna ship. I'm in no rush to get it, so getting the Prime discount is worth the wait. Still sucks though!

Glad I picked this up. I grabbed some of the DLC characters but I'm worried maybe I shouldn't have. I'm afraid I'll have too many characters to try and level at this point but I like the characters.

EDarkness

I ordered my copy from Amazon and received it yesterday on time. I was shocked since I wasn't really expecting it for a couple more days since they tend to screw up release day arrivals these days.

I have to admit the game looks great on my TV. I was a little worried with people saying it looked blurry on the TV, but no problems there. Everything is crisp. I went ahead and got the 1 million currency pack, Laharl story pack, extra characters, and the starting weapon pack. I want my main group to be Laharl, Killia, Seraphina, and another character that I haven't decided on yet. I figure it would be a good idea to go ahead and get Laharl now instead of waiting until later so he can be part of my main crew starting out. I hope his story missions aren't too hard.

Glad I picked this up. Been a lot of fun so far.

I ordered my copy from Amazon and received it yesterday on time. I was shocked since I wasn't really expecting it for a couple more days since they tend to screw up release day arrivals these days.

I have to admit the game looks great on my TV. I was a little worried with people saying it looked blurry on the TV, but no problems there. Everything is crisp. I went ahead and got the 1 million currency pack, Laharl story pack, extra characters, and the starting weapon pack. I want my main group to be Laharl, Killia, Seraphina, and another character that I haven't decided on yet. I figure it would be a good idea to go ahead and get Laharl now instead of waiting until later so he can be part of my main crew starting out. I hope his story missions aren't too hard.

Glad I picked this up. Been a lot of fun so far.

How many main characters do you plan on using, just 4? Hmmm...Maybe I'm already leveling too many characters.

My overall suggestion is Physical, because I think Nintendo DRM and account management remains worst in the industry and I avoid digital when reasonably possible.

Other answers:

1) Skipped 3, D2, and barely played 4, but was impressed by the little I played of four, and remain impressed by 5. There's a lot of great new content features and streamlining since then, while suffering no loss of depth.

2) Other SRPGs often have huge difficulty spikes, but that isn't really the case here.

3) You can focus on whichever parts of the game you want. It takes a few hours before you unlock the Item World and Assembly. If you want to roll with just the story characters, or DLC characters now included in the base game, and ignore class unlocks etc. you can.

4) 20-50 hours for the main story. You can essentially turn up or lower the difficulty through the assembly, and some of the DLC unlocks are essentially just cheats / more money, etc.

5) Even if you play the game 100+ hours and love it, you still have something you can sell later, even if for a little.

You are probably right, I just really like the thought of not having to pop the cart out in between sessions.

Neoweee

well thats not true anymore for the nintendo switch

Still worst in industry. Being less bad than before doesn't make it less bad than its competitors. Playstation, XBox, iOS, and Android all have better redownloading schemes and rules, or mechanics for dealing with multiple devices. And if you need to deactivate a device for whatever reason have an actual interface for doing so remotely.

Nintendo's remains bad. Don't gloss over how it is bad.

Top Bottom