• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete |OT| Welcome to the Statistical Playground

EDarkness

How many main characters do you plan on using, just 4? Hmmm...Maybe I'm already leveling too many characters.

Yeah. I'm only gonna run with 4 or 5 characters. It'll be too much work to have more than that if I want to build them up to some insane level. In Disgaea 1, I had two characters... Laharl and a ninja that was basically untouchable. He could run levels by himself and between him and Laharl, I could go deep into the item world with relative ease. Heh, was awesome. I don't think ninjas are as hax as they were in that game, so more backup would be good. Otherwise, it gets to be too much of a pain to handle 15 or more characters. That's how I started out in the original game, but later decided to limit my crew to 8, to 6, to 3, to 2. Of course, those characters were broken as hell by the end of the game. Heh, heh.

Still worst in industry. Being less bad than before doesn't make it less bad than its competitors. Playstation, XBox, iOS, and Android all have better redownloading schemes and rules, or mechanics for dealing with multiple devices. And if you need to deactivate a device for whatever reason have an actual interface for doing so remotely.

Nintendo's remains bad. Don't gloss over how it is bad.

Nah man, it's fine now. Even with "worst in industry" being debatable, it's not much of a condemnation when you're talking about 5 players. That's like talking about the worst Smash Bros game. It's still an awesome game, just less awesome than the rest.

Still worst in industry. Being less bad than before doesn't make it less bad than its competitors. Playstation, XBox, iOS, and Android all have better redownloading schemes and rules, or mechanics for dealing with multiple devices. And if you need to deactivate a device for whatever reason have an actual interface for doing so remotely.

Nintendo's remains bad. Don't gloss over how it is bad.

the fact you cant deactivate it remotely is a plus. the fact you can do it yourself with the ps4 is a huge negative, since i often hear of many stories of people getting screwed over because their account is taken over by hackers who do deactivate their systems and then cant deactivate

oSoLucky

the fact you cant deactivate it remotely is a plus. the fact you can do it yourself with the ps4 is a huge negative, since i often hear of many stories of people getting screwed over because their account is taken over by hackers who do deactivate their systems and then cant deactivate

Only if they haven't activated 2FA. No "hacker" should ever be able to deactivate a PS4. Remote deactivation is huge positive when I have needed to use it on many occasions. When you need it, not having it makes things a huge pain.

sgb

Sad to admit I have all the Vita Disgaea as well as one of the psp ones, but this one lured me in and it's hard to put down!!

Meffer

First 10 minutes of the game, a zombie chick asks me if I want her to wear a bunny suit she found and a prinny refers to "licking a girls recorder"...this is going to be bananas, isn't it?

Edit: and, for the record, I don't regret the day 1 purchase one bit
The bunnysuit is for Seraphina for her sprite and profile image. I said yes since I love bunny suits hahaha!

Digital or Physical

Decision factors:

1) haven't played Disgaea since 2

2) I like Srpgs, but sometimes can get stalled.

3) is this a drag because all of the systems, or are they easy to catch the hang of?

4) how much time is needed to complete the story, and do I need to know anything before jumping in? (If I encounter an inside joke can I google/YouTube the reference without losing too much?)

5) my decision lies around will this hook me or do I go physical if I want to sell at some point?

Thank you!

There is a demo!?!?!? On US eshop?

1) It's ok if you haven't played the past games. I haven't played since part 1. You can jump right in and 5 is the perfect choice.

2) Story mode isn't bad until you reach the later levels. Difficulty sets in when they introduce different geo panels. That takes some thinking instead of purely going up to someone and attacking. It's a nice change of pace IMO. Depending on how you're leveling up, that may be a factor as well but there are many ways for you to overcome whatever wall you may hit.

3) There's other things to do if you want to break away from the story. Things that help you level up your characters/items/moves. You may seem overwhelmed but everything they offer gives you an easier time when grinding. You don't NEED all of it during the story but it helps that it's there if, again, you hit a wall. Post game is a different story.

4) I finished the story at 20 hours, but that's because I was trying to rush through it as fast as I could. It really varies. How many people are you trying to level up? Are you spending time in the item/chara world? Do you keep hitting a wall and have to keep grinding? Hours can range 20+ just for story.

5) Download the demo! I see this game being better as a digital title but I picked up a physical copy. Seeing physical copies of these Switch games makes me happy, lol. It all depends on how hooked you get when playing the demo. Btw, your demo save won't transfer to the full game so don't go crazy grinding!

Sorry if it's been discussed to death, but if I want to use all the DLC characters does that make my team too big and leave no room to recruit others from the recruit person in the pocket netherverse?

I only ask cause veteran players keep recommending to focus on a small "elite" team.

oSoLucky

Sorry if it's been discussed to death, but if I want to use all the DLC characters does that make my team too big and leave no room to recruit others from the recruit person in the pocket netherverse?

I only ask cause veteran players keep recommending to focus on a small "elite" team.

I'm not sure what the limit is on members, but I have 87 in my list right now. So the answer is no. You can only dispatch a certain amount to any given map though. The small team is just to ensure you are strong and focused enough to take down later enemies. Unlike most games, you can actually do 0 damage to enemies so the concept of overwhelming with numbers doesn't cut it. You need some really buff units in there somewhere.

OmegaDL50

No. You can have all of the DLC characters and all of the generic humanoid and monster classes. When creating a character it tells you how much space you have left for recruits. It's just over 100. (128 max really, this includes all uniques plus generics you create / hire)

The reason why it's good to focus on a smaller team for the purpose of getting through the story mode it's easier to manage a group of 6 characters in terms of equipment and how much exp they gain, as opposed to having ton of characters which you need to spend all of your money to outfit them or go out of your way to level them all up to keep them relevant.

In the post-game it doesn't matter how much recruits you have because you'll get to the point in which you can level a bunch of characters all at once to 9999 in single battle, but for the sake of story mode it's just more efficient to stick with a small group that acts like a sweeper team that kills everything.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you feel they're overpowered just up the difficulty through the senate or whatever it is in D5.

Seriously, don't be afraid of breaking the game. It's meant to be broken.

Passose

Banned
it's only on the nis america store and they sold out a week ago. sometimes stuff goes back on sale on occasion - i think that's how their wishlist system works as it should alert you to it. but if you wanted it to play right now you're probably not in luck.
damn, that's bad, didn't care about it when it was announced but things changed after I played the demo lol

mrk8885

Banned
Are there any differences between the NA version now available vs the JPN version with English that people bought at the switch launch?

How accessible is this game? I bough Disgaea 3 for Vita at launch and gave up at the middle of tutorial because holy shit, I could't handle the amount of information I need to know they gave in tutorial chapters

oSoLucky

How accessible is this game? I bough Disgaea 3 for Vita at launch and gave up at the middle of tutorial because holy shit, I could't handle the amount of information I need to know they gave in tutorial chapters

The game gives tons of information, but most of it is optional. It too many systems/statistics bothers you then you may never care for it in all reality. That's the major draw of these games(besides the off the rails anime part).

OmegaDL50

Ive played disgaea before but its been a long while. What is the "post game"

I usually treat the main story campaign in a Disgaea title as little more as a glorified tutorial. Hence the subtitle for OT for the PS4 Disgaea 5 thread.

If the story game content takes 20 to 40 hours for some folks. To fully complete all of the additional chapters and maps unlocked in the post game, it can easily take an upwards of an additional 100+ hours over the base game. It is the post-game in which you gain access to everything and truly take full advantage of every mechanic available in the game.

I'm still in the intro chapter (because I'm grinding quests because why not), but I absolutely love that the way you get one of the trophies...is by passing a bill demanding that trophy. That's the cheeky meta-humor I enjoy about this series.

Chorazin

The reason why it's good to focus on a smaller team for the purpose of getting through the story mode it's easier to manage a group of 6 characters in terms of equipment and how much exp they gain, as opposed to having ton of characters which you need to spend all of your money to outfit them or go out of your way to level them all up to keep them relevant. .

This is awesome to read. I played a bunch of the previous Disgaea games but never for all that long, because I got too overwhelmed with characters and trying to level them all. I'll just roll into every level with six for the story!

OmegaDL50

Anyone know what the lyrics in the hub world are? They are definitely English but I'm not sure what all they are saying.

Times are changing, people say
I don't buy it
In a corner of my heart
It's only getting darker
Day after day I roam
Searching for what I have forgotten
But my journey is taking me far, so far from you
I'm moving on, moving so far away
There's an anger deep down inside me
I'm moving on, I am saying goodbye
Skies are grey, I am alone now
I will spend my whole life missing you

Why I remembered this I have no idea....I usually change the hub music once I get tired of it. I prefer Sabat, or the hub music from Disgaea 2 which is Wonder Castle.

Being able to change the Netherworld base music to whatever you like another great thing about Disgaea (well at least in the newer games)

Nerazar

I was wondering: the EU version is French / English. So no JP dub?

And what happens if I buy it digitally, because in most cases, the same game also gets bought in the JP store if there are multiple languages involved?

Newbie to the series question - how do I get mana? I'm on the
Poisondise
area and it seems like I haven't gotten much mana at all to upgrade abilities and such.

Poisondise
area and it seems like I haven't gotten much mana at all to upgrade abilities and such.

I'm also new-ish...seems like just fighting, same as anything else. You can get innocents to boost mana earning.

OmegaDL50

Poisondise

Mana is earned from killing enemies.

The formula is not quite 1:1 but it's fairly close.

For each enemy killed roughly it's level is earned in Mana.

Kill a level 10 enemy and you earn about 10 Mana. However whoever gets the kill earns the Mana.

Later on this isn't an issue because you start to unlock Squads that allow you to share Mana for kills and with the Cheat Shop you can earn hundreds of thousands of Mana with minimal effort.

Mana is only used for improving Skills, Purchasing new Evilities, and passing bills in the Assembly.

This is another good reason why it's good to stick to a small team of characters just for the story portion. All of the Mana you accumulate from kills is saved for your most used characters to be able to pass the most important Assembly bills, such as the Cheat Shop, and unlocking the Boot Camp Squad among others as well.

Mana is earned from killing enemies.

The formula is not quite 1:1 but it's fairly close.

For each enemy killed roughly it's level is earned in Mana.

Kill a level 10 enemy and you earn about 10 Mana. However whoever gets the kill earns the Mana.

Later on this isn't an issue because you start to unlock Squads that allow you to share Mana for kills and with the Cheat Shop you can earn hundreds of thousands of Mana with minimal effort.

Mana is only used for improving Skills, Purchasing new Evilities, and passing bills in the Assembly.

This is another good reason why it's good to stick to a small team of characters just for the story portion. All of the Mana you accumulate from kills is saved for your most used characters to be able to pass the most important Assembly bills, such as the Cheat Shop, and unlocking the Boot Camp Squad among others as well.

Okay that makes sense, thanks. I've been running 12 people at a time, so that's probably why it seems like it's almost nothing. Time to cut my team down.

I was wondering: the EU version is French / English. So no JP dub?

And what happens if I buy it digitally, because in most cases, the same game also gets bought in the JP store if there are multiple languages involved?

wrong, it english/japanese audio with english/french text

no french dub exists

Luigi87

Why I remembered this I have no idea....I usually change the hub music once I get tired of it. I prefer Sabat, or the hub music from Disgaea 2 which is Wonder Castle.

Being able to change the Netherworld base music to whatever you like another great thing about Disgaea (well at least in the newer games)

I had to look this up last night, as it was driving me nuts, lol

Specifically the part "Searching for what, I have forgotten" the latter part sounded like "I have a button" and I was like, that can't be right...

sugarless

It's out tomorrow, so from midnight online I would think

the release date for europe is the 26th

How odd, the eShop distinctly says 25th and has said so since I've seen the game page when I got the demo. Is that how they list a midnight 26th launch on there? If so that's stupid.

Wh4I9Zo.jpg

You probably won't like this then. There's a ton of information. In terms of the story, you won't need all of it but post game, it would be good to know how everything works. Give the demo a try, if anything.

I'm currently in post game. Just unlocked Martial Training 3. This is where I'll be spending some time.

My highest character is Flonne, at 834. Laharl and Girl Laharl are in the 500's.

I unlocked some of the challenge maps. These are fun! Challenging in how you need to plan out what you want to do.

I did play a few rounds of Chara World. Going to concentrate on raising aptitude.

Having such a great time with this game.

damn, I just got 15 bucks credit from amazon because they once again screwed up a release date delivery for me (samurai warriors spirit of sanada). I was gonna use it on this game but I guess it is selling out? Because amazon has "ships in 1-4 weeks"...

lionpants

I should be starting this today. Any tips? I have not played any previous Disgaea games but got hyped into this.

I love boosting characters, earning equipment and getting super powerful so hopefully I will like it. Comments about the story being throw away actually got me more interested because I just want a badass game to grind in on my Switch.

So when does the Item World and Character World open up? I assume I'm really, really, really close (3-4).

I can't remember for certain since I've spent so much time in the Item World it blends together with my story outings, but I believe
Item World unlocks after you finish chapter 3 and Chara World unlocks after chapter 5

Dandruff5

Neo Member
Is everyone accepting the special content stuff. Does it break the game in terms of over pouring yourself?

I took the starter kit of weapons and all the characters.

However, unequip the DLC character's weapons as they're crazy overpowered. I think all the characters themselves start at level 1 so they're not inherently OP.

So far really enjoying this game as a relative newbie to the series (couldn't get through much of 2 or 4).

Neoweee

Is everyone accepting the special content stuff. Does it break the game in terms of over pouring yourself?

The characters are very good, but start at low levels.

1 Million HL is as busted as it sounds in the early game.

The extra classes are just a nifty unlock to have for options. Feel free to get those.

1 million isn't really busted. Oh boy, you can buy as many level 3 axes as you want, and recruit as many level 6 witches as you want. It doesn't break anything since you unlock stuff to buy as you play further in the story, and before long you're earning a ton for even regular maps.

rdaneel72

I was often intrigued by the Disgaea series, but always ended up buying something else. Having only recently beaten BOTW, this release was timed perfectly. MK8 is too frustrating to play for long, and Puyo Puyo Tetris too frantic. Disgaea 5 seems a slow burn that I will savor for months.

Still very early, and overwhelmed as everyone else. The game has ample help options to tell you what needs to be done, but not so much on how to actually do it.

Like, the Bonus gauge. How do you fill up the Bonus gauge in the early levels? I know, you create combos and chain attacks, but that is impossible to do when the first character that attacks OHKs the enemy.

I've not unlocked any DLC OP characters. I've not grinded at all. The initial Prinnys and Maid OHK nearly everything in Blood Parch, and I get 2-3 items from the Bonus gauge. Surely I'm missing something.

Skimming this thread, there is obviously a lot more to this game than I have seen early into chapter 2, so perhaps the answer will become clear. It just seems strange that the game offers this seemingly broken system early on.

Looking forward to digging into this over the long weekend.

Neoweee

I was often intrigued by the Disgaea series, but always ended up buying something else. Having only recently beaten BOTW, this release was timed perfectly. MK8 is too frustrating to play for long, and Puyo Puyo Tetris too frantic. Disgaea 5 seems a slow burn that I will savor for months.

Still very early, and overwhelmed as everyone else. The game has ample help options to tell you what needs to be done, but not so much on how to actually do it.

Like, the Bonus gauge. How do you fill up the Bonus gauge in the early levels? I know, you create combos and chain attacks, but that is impossible to do when the first character that attacks OHKs the enemy.

I've not unlocked any DLC OP characters. I've not grinded at all. The initial Prinnys and Maid OHK nearly everything in Blood Parch, and I get 2-3 items from the Bonus gauge. Surely I'm missing something.

Skimming this thread, there is obviously a lot more to this game than I have seen early into chapter 2, so perhaps the answer will become clear. It just seems strange that the game offers this seemingly broken system early on.

Looking forward to digging into this over the long weekend.

You almost certainly won't get up to Rank 10 on the Bonus meter in the early game, and that's okay. It always has those 10 ranks, even when it isn't realistic.

I'm not sure what the real answer is because again I'm pretty new to the game, but attacking in a tower formation fills the gauge a ton. Stack up 10 people, kill everything that way, make sure the person on the bottom isn't killing with counterattacks. You can fill it easy on some levels with a lot of enemies.

You almost certainly won't get up to Rank 10 on the Bonus meter in the early game, and that's okay. It always has those 10 ranks, even when it isn't realistic.

I did it on like 1-4 just by using tower attacks.

Top Bottom