• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 review thread

Zedark

Should be: 79-82 if it's just almost the same game as 1 without any new cool modes or ideas even if it's fun. And no, a lame ass horde mode doesn't count.
+ That smartphone app nonsense.

Will be: 92-94 cause it's a Nintendo game.
Salt arrives early today it seems.

phanphare

Banned
My sense is that things like duplicate maps from the first game are going to weigh heavily on people's reactions. In the sense that if there's a strong selection of all-new maps, people will respond well. If there are more than a couple carry-overs that don't have some novel spin, I can see more negative reactions. And similarly, if they've launched this game with as little content as the first during its first month or so, I think there'll be backlash, even knowing more is on the way.

My hard-copy is already paid for, and I'm hoping to see a breakdown of what to expect from the story mode along with reactions to multi-player so far. Bosses were a high point in the first game.

all the maps from Splatoon 1 do have a novel twist so far

Moray Towers has been redone to include ink rails and also the lanes have been widened. totally changed how to play that map.

likewise Port Mackerel has had its layout changed and now features those sponges that get bigger when you shoot them with ink. haven't played it yet but the changes also look to fundamentally change how that map is played.

Played it?

The 2 or 3 online demos, yes and if we are realistically and if you aren't in gaming only since yesterday, you know it won't have anything else as what was announced already, it will be basically the same game.

But hey, I'm the last person who won't appreciate it if they surprise us, seriously, but I'm not expecting it.

Average 88 because of complaints of map rotation and other small things, just a guess.

If the smartphone app works, then what's the problem who doesn't have a smartphone? And it keeps the system clean.

I'm sure many people still don't have smartphones with the right OS or modern power to run some of these apps, old ipod 4's don't run modern apps any longer yet they still work great for other things, people own windows phones, and so forth.

phanphare

Banned
This is what I'm predicting honestly. Most reviewers don't fully get into the depth of this game plus the typical "eww rotations" and the expected "no native voice chat" criticism. Despite the great amount of QoL improvements and updates to the game overall it won't be too much higher than Splatoon's 81 MC score.

pretty much

But it still has ink. Same game. Totally unoriginal.

Yep. I really don't get why it's so hard to see this is as much of a sequel as any multiplayer shooter sequel is.

I didn't say that. I was quoting someone that brought up CoD as a similar comparison, so I just listed all the things CoD changes every year. It's not really an apt comparison.

It's of course an apt comparison because Splatoon 2 has everything you listed.

This is what I'm predicting honestly. Most reviewers don't fully get into the depth of this game plus the typical "eww rotations" and the expected "no native voice chat" criticism. Despite the great amount of QoL improvements and updates to the game overall it won't be too much higher than Splatoon's 81 MC score.

If it takes a hit from reviewers because of the smartphone app.. that's just dumb. The voice chat implementation is Nintendo idiocy in general.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I didn't say that. I was quoting someone that brought up CoD as a similar comparison, so I just listed all the things CoD changes every year. It's not really an apt comparison.

I dont think you have much of a point then.

And my question was genuine, you had me worried for a moment.

Anteo

All the multiplayer maps are different? It's a different setting? How have the mechanics changed?

There are 2 returning maps so far that have been redesigned, the rest are new. They added new mechanics to weapons like storing cvarge for chargers or vertical swing for rollers. They scrapped all specials for new ones and added new sub weapons too. They also added a pve mode and modified the way how their payload mode works. New abilities for gear, new maim weapons like dualies or the umbrella thing both with unique abilities.

flkraven

If it takes a hit from reviewers because of the smartphone app.. that's just dumb. The voice chat implementation is Nintendo idiocy in general.

Shouldn't a multiplayer game be criticized if there isn't an acceptable/good way to party up and chat with your friends? If this was available on other platforms, I'd say you were right but this is a Nintendo exclusive so it is bound to be criticized based on the hardware restrictions. In the same way some games get criticized for unnecessary motion control, etc.

Ridley327

All the multiplayer maps are different? It's a different setting? How have the mechanics changed?

I'm pretty sure that the number of new maps in Splatoon far outnumber the returning ones, all of which have been updated to change their layout to not feel like a straight copy of how they were on the Wii U.

And I'm not really sure CoD has much of a leg to stand on as far as mixing up the settings are concerned, given that going back to WWII is looking like a breath of fresh air after such a huge run of near-future titles, and there's no shortage of WWII-set games in the series as it is.

Every multiplayer map is different, including the two returning ones which have changed quite a bit. The hub has a new setting, and of course the new maps are new settings, as well as the new co-op mode (Salmon Run) having a completely different setting.

You never said anything about the mechanics changing for CoD, but in Splatoon 2 you have a dodge mechanic with a new weapon type, as well as new rail grinding mechanics. I'm sure there are other new mechanics too.

phanphare

Banned

yes all the multiplayer maps are different, even the returning maps from the first game. yes it's a different setting. the mechanics have been fine tuned, yes. more on a weapon to weapon basis because the core gameplay doesn't really need any changes and also in regards to none of the specials returning from the first game because they were kind of an issue balance wise.

Gestault

That could still have a negative impact on how the game plays. A big part of the series is team-based social play. If it's actually tricky to communicate (even if it effects every game and not just Splatoon 2), that's a problem that should be pointed out by critics.

It'll lose some points by not being super fresh, but might gain some for having more content and Nintendo showing their long term support is solid
84%

If it bothers reviewers, it should be part of their review/score. Nothing wrong about that.

I can see it either way. The game should be judged for what's in the package, and if that lacks a simple voice chat solution that would greatly enhance it, then that opinion should be included.

But I also don't think a system-level decision should necessarily impact a game's score. In this case, there's nothing the game development team could do to improve the in-game chat experience due to a corporate decision.

Every multiplayer map is different, including the two returning ones which have changed quite a bit. The hub has a new setting, and of course the new maps are new settings, as well as the new co-op mode (Salmon Run) having a completely different setting.

You never said anything about the mechanics changing for CoD, but in Splatoon 2 you have a dodge mechanic with a new weapon type, as well as new rail grinding mechanics. I'm sure there are other new mechanics too.

Oh come on.

flkraven

I'm pretty sure that the number of new maps in Splatoon far outnumber the returning ones, all of which have been updated to change their layout to not feel like a straight copy of how they were on the Wii U.

And I'm not really sure CoD has much of a leg to stand on as far as mixing up the settings are concerned, given that going back to WWII is looking like a breath of fresh air after such a huge run of near-future titles, and there's no shortage of WWII-set games in the series as it is.

yes all the multiplayer maps are different, even the returning maps from the first game. yes it's a different setting. the mechanics have been fine tuned, yes. more on a weapon to weapon basis because the core gameplay doesn't really need any changes and also in regards to none of the specials returning from the first game because they were kind of an issue balance wise.

Cool. I've only seen a handful of gameplay videos, so I'll keep an eye out once the reviews drop. Didn't realize the old maps were remastered.

Zia

I think this'll suffer with American reviewers due to it being too similar to the first, though it fixes all of the issues reviewers had with the original and despite the fact barely anyone stateside owned a Wii U.

I expect solid 9s coming out of Japan and the U.K.

flkraven

I think this'll suffer with American reviewers due to it being too similar to the first, though it fixes all of the issues reviewers had with the original and despite the fact barely anyone stateside owned a Wii U.

Is this an exclusively American problem?

Griss

Any time a game that reviewed averagely becomes a sensation and considered a classic, the reviews for the sequel overcompensate / make up for it. Expecting a 90 or thereabouts, which is what the first deserved.

Shouldn't a multiplayer game be criticized if there isn't an acceptable/good way to party up and chat with your friends? If this was available on other platforms, I'd say you were right but this is a Nintendo exclusive so it is bound to be criticized based on the hardware restrictions. In the same way some games get criticized for unnecessary motion control, etc.

That could still have a negative impact on how the game plays. A big part of the series is team-based social play. If it's actually tricky to communicate (even if it effects every game and not just Splatoon 2), that's a problem that should be pointed out by critics.

I mean... I don't look at it that way. I can see why people do though. I think the chat is a tacked on pos. The voice chat isn't going to be exclusive to Splatoon 2. So if people say "the voice chat is shit"... that means every game going forward that wants to implement vc should get docked in their score. No matter how good the game is. Which I think is crazy imo. Just judge the game.

phanphare

Banned
Cool. I've only seen a handful of gameplay videos, so I'll keep an eye out once the reviews drop. Didn't realize the old maps were remastered.

yeah they did good

here's a side by side comparison of moray towers from the first game and Splatoon 2

you'll see some subtle differences like the width of the lanes and some of the geometry added to the new one and some bigger differences like the ink rails

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ccaU-q_7kE

J@hranimo

Banned
I mean... I don't look at it that way. I think the chat is a tacked on pos. The voice chat isn't going to be exclusive to Splatoon 2. So if people say "the voice chat is shit"... that means every game going forward that wants to implement vc should get docked in their score. No matter how good the game is. Which I think is crazy imo. Just judge the game.

I agree 100%. No game should be docked down for ass backwards system design
but it will anyway

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
If the smartphone app works, then what's the problem who doesn't have a smartphone? And it keeps the system clean.

Oh brother.

Anyway, I am curious to hear what reviewers say w/r/t S2 compared to S1. I know GAF freaks out whenever someone mentions the word "port" when it comes to this game, but I am curious to know how S2 holds up for those who played a ton of S1. I hope it's not "the same game but with new MP maps".

Reki

I'm predicting 84. The variance will come from some reviewers focusing on the "too similar" line and the rest praising the new additions. At least they all know the free DLC model by now, so "light on content" shouldn't be a common criticism.

I think it's packed and wortwhile of the sequel status btw.

Splatoon 2 has literally all of that. There are all of two returning maps I believe, and everything else is brand new, including the campaign, most weapons, specials, multiplayer maps, etc.

The amount of misinformation on this game is kinda sad. Not sure where half of this came from and why it seems to be judged differently than other shooters.

Top Bottom