• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
Stray Dogs is excellent, but it feels like a test run for High and Low, which is more formally daring, has better-limned characters, is more political, has more depth, etc.

stray dogs has more interesting characters by far imo, and the atmosphere can't be beat. I give it to High and low for superior details when it comes to solving the crime and having arguably better shots/edits. Some of my favorite shots of "high and low" were during the end when the focus was on the criminal. The thing is I am still not 100 percent sure why the criminal went after mifune's character other than being in plain view of him every night.

I say this because 1. We get way more Mifune in stray dogs. The partner is a boss and we explore his family. We then get all these interesting suspects/criminals with their stories. Watching it made me feel the heat.

I actually prefer The bad sleep well too.

1.Stray Dogs
Bad Sleep well
High and Low
Drunken Angel

I recently Watched Yojimbo and Sanjuro as well. Both were some of my first criterion movies as well as my introduction to Mifune/Kurosawa.

So after watching both for the second time gotta say Sanjuro is my clear favorite.

Mifune's performance in High and Low is much more layered, and between his backstory (and the way it's paralleled with that of the eventual villain), the complexity of his moral dilemma, the social and personal intricacies of how he interacts with people, the look on his face at the end of the movie, etc., there really is no contest. That's not to shit on Stray Dogs, its certainly a very good crime movie, with more colorful and varied characters, but it doesn't have the narrative depth and complexity, the cogent political and social commentary, the procedural realism, or some other qualities that make the latter film so damn transcendent.

TheFlow

Banned
Mifune's performance in High and Low is much more layered, and between his backstory (and the way it's paralleled with that of the eventual villain), the complexity of his moral dilemma, the social and personal intricacies of how he interacts with people, the look on his face at the end of the movie, etc., there really is no contest. That's not to shit on Stray Dogs, its certainly a very good crime movie, with more colorful and varied characters, but it doesn't have the narrative depth and complexity, the cogent political and social commentary, the procedural realism, or some other qualities that make the latter film so damn transcendent.

The moral dilemma, social commentary, and sheer complexity are definitely good reasons to put High and Low above Stray dogs. That being said still gotta disagree with yah. Stray Dogs and the The bad sleep well both had stronger characters/conviction that held my attention in ways that "high and low couldn't"

edit: which leads me to my original post on the matter

"High and low is one of Kurosawas best crafted films but as a crime/thriller I preferred Stray Dogs."

Kurosawa's crime films are my favorite though.

High and Low 1963
★★★★½
This movie is what you call Kurosawa and Mifune at their best. The incredible camera work, careful detail, and structured plot is what we call the highest of quality. That being said, I wanted more conviction from the criminal. Previous Kurosawa films did a better job at fleshing out both sides of the law.

Sanjuro 1962
★★★★
I always loved this more than Yojimbo because it reminded me of other samurai favorites. Sanjuro clowning everyone in the movie, and the famous duel can't be beat.

Yojimbo 1961
★★★★
My first introduction to Mifune/Kurosawa years ago, and gotta say it is still amazing. Mifune's character is one of the most clever to grace early film.

Apt101

I saw Kong: Skull Island. Nice little distraction but it didn't feel like it needed to even exist. I was shocked when I saw the production budget. Where did the money go?

I finally saw Moonlight. I couldn't personally relate to pretty much any of the major themes but it still connected on a deeply emotional level. Films this good are rare.

The Do-Over. Why? It makes me angry that people made millions of dollars on this. I dislike humanity less after having seen this.

Sean C

Five Came Back (2017): A documentary adaptation of Mark Harris' book (which has been deemed a film, and thus worthy of inclusion on this site, even though its primary distribution method is in an episodic form on Netflix; oh, O.J.: Made in America, what hast thou wrought?), which has some advantages over its literary cousin in that, when telling the story of a group of filmmakers, it's useful to be able to illustrate one's points with actual footage of the films being discussed.

Each of the five directors covered (Frank Capra, John Ford, John Huston, George Stevens, and William Wyler) has been paired with a contemporary director to comment on their work (respectively, Guillermo del Toro, Paul Greengrass, Francis Ford Coppola, Lawrence Kasdan, and Steven Spielberg), which for cinephiles provides a lot of the most interesting moments -- I'd never have pegged del Toro as such a passionate admirer of Capra, for instance.

I was a budding history nerd as a kid, and my parents bought me a VHS set of Capra's propaganda films that they found in a local department store at the time. They made for fascinating viewing, and some of the images (particularly the cartoons) stuck with me through the years. It's interesting to get a look at what the other directors were doing, and the range of experiences they captured. By far the heaviest material concerns Stevens' time in service, which culminated in his documenting the atrocities at Dachau and effectively ended his career as a director of comedies (the laughs wouldn't come anymore).

There are times where it feels like some peripheral figures, such as a black screenwriter involved in the production of a film about black soldiers serving in the army (it's noted that a poll of Harlem residents taken at the start of hostilities found that about half thought their lives wouldn't be much different under the Nazis, which occasioned the project), could have been developed a bit more. We also see explored the racist elements of the anti-Japanese propaganda, and, contrary to what one might expect, it's people in the government trying to tone it down (one must credit the wisdom of General MacArthur in insisting it not be shown).

The final segment also offers some really fascinating insights into some of the directors' immediate postwar work. The Best Years of Our Lives' relevance is fairly obvious, but the insights offered in respect of It's A Wonderful Life and Capra's investing his own personal struggles into George Bailey will change how you look at the film (one of my favourites).

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Watched The Witch and honestly I think it's the best horror film I've ever watched. Better than Alien, better than The Thing, better than The Shining, The Babadook, Nosferatu, The Exorcist, Halloween, Psycho, etc.

Fuck, it's incredible.

Better than Alien, better than The Thing, better than The Shining, The Babadook, Nosferatu, The Exorcist, Halloween, Psycho

One of these is not like the others...

But yeah, The Witch is fantastic. I wouldn't put as the best horror movie ever, but I'd say it's the best of the last two decades. Holds up damn fine on a rewatch, too.

A lonely place to die - standard adventuer into killer situation. Some of you may like but feel it was poorly executed.

5/10

Assault on Wall Street - sort of a revenge on the rich film. Man loses most everything to his brokers etc.. Decent enough, starts a little slow and has I high level of "collateral damange" and imo wrong killing in the final act. If you like this sort of revenge killing you may like this.

6/10

I felt bad when I left the theaters. And as agnostic as I am I felt like I should pray when I finished watching The Witch lmao

Incredible horror movie to provoke such a response imo

Life- 10/10
I think this movie is extremely underrated. I think its the Alien of this generation (without all the nightmare inspired concept art and what-not). The tension this movie channels is crazy.

Silence- 9/10
It was a journey seeing this movie. I am not a religious person. I found the story of the priests fascinating. The acting was top notch. Great movie to start an theological debate.

Van Helsing- 10/10 bite me
Fucking love this movie and all the visuals. Makes me wish there was a Bloodbourne-esque game following the adventures of Van.

The Lincoln Lawyer- 7/10
The main character confused me. The story was great. The outcome and his decision
to keep representing scum
beat the purpose for me.

Fucking love this movie and all the visuals. Makes me wish there was a Bloodbourne-esque game following the adventures of Van.

Stephen Sommers hit the scene too early. He should be thriving in this cinematic universe shit right now. He missed his true calling as Universal's Zack Snyder. Or even Hasbro's.

lordxar

I just found something I never knew I wanted...and a Bloodborne movie like VH. VH was a fun movie, not great but fun.

The Witch was good but topping everything before it ain't happening. It wasn't that good.

The Lost City Of Z really is almost like a time capsule of a film. It's a film that feels like it was made for an audience with the sensibilities of the 1960s/1970s, just been released in 2017 with a few of the currently big name actors.

I don't mean that as a criticism, cos The Lost City is a really good film, its just a bit jarring when you first consider after watching it. It's interesting to watch rather than exciting and gripping, so take that as you will.

The story of Percy Fawcett charting uncharted amazon territory looking for a lost city whilst abandoning his family back home is a pretty interesting premise on its own, so arguably half the work is done for them, its just unfortunate the story never reaches its full potential, since they've cherry picked certain parts of the story to tell and left out others. There's a hugely unnecessary and silly part involving the first world war which feels really out of place and in there for dramatic licence. The story is at its best when its in the jungle, and at its worst when its in England and during the war, which feels pedestrian by contrast.

Some of the character beats involving Fawcett and his children feel a bit off. There's a bit with a fortune teller that feels like a scene from Blackadder for all the sense it makes, and the ending feels like it doesn't know exactly what it wants to be.

But, its a really good watch. The costume design is superb particularly on the natives of the amazon, and the look of the early 20th century jungle, and the white characters gets to be almost entrancing, more so than the narrative. It looks absolutely amazing with superb cinematography, wish I'd seen the 35mm version.

There's also some superb acting in place, paticularly from Robert Pattison and Sienna Miller, while Charlie Hunnam is a fair bit weaker as our lead character. While he plays a stiff upper lipped English men extremely well, he's somewhat unsympathetic and unengaging, which contributes to the story falling a bit flat, specially towards the end.

So overall, a good decent watch, a film out of its time for sure, but not unwelcome.

Watch the new Ghost in the Shell movie last weekend. The movie in my opinion was pretty great with lots of odes to the first season of the anime. It may have flaws, but the movie is one of the better anime to live action imo. If you like the anime give it a shot.

I liked van helsing. It's corny as hell but man I enjoyed how hammy that Dracula was. Hugh Jackman is charismatic as always, and the babes...👀

Divius

We like Van Helsing helsing now?! You guys cannot peer pressure me!

I haven't seen it.

edit:
It has Jackman and Beckinsale, guess I'll give it a go.

And it has a fun cooky gothic atmosphere which Universal should try to get back to instead of modern day shit they're doing for the new monster universe

TheFlow

Banned
Van helsing is fucking legit. I watch it every time.

And yea it is up there with the resident evil and underworld

Pachimari

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) - ★★☆☆☆
Hmm, I didn't know what to expect going into this. I think this might have been the first full Batman cartoon movie I've seen, or at least since I was a small kid. The voice acting was low compared to the sound effects which took me some time getting used to. The plot was interesting and simple, with the masked crusader taking down mobs, and I could see who it would be behind the mask halway into the movie. I like the subplot and flashbacks with Andrea, but disliked Joker turning up in the movie. I didn't expect to see him, and expected a mob story, kind of like season 1 of Gotham. Anyway, I didn't find it to be great or really captivating, but it had an alright plot.

Paterson (2016) - ★★★★☆
Just finished Paterson and again I didn't know what to expect going into it, not even what genre it was. Adam Driver really delivered here, and his girlfriend in it was cute, although I found their relationship to have a dark side to it, or a torn in it somewhere. How she kept on painting on everything, so I would take it for an obsession, or how he did everything to make her happy, even at times when he didn't like the choice. Anyway, super adorable dog, I love Marvin! Performances were great, I liked getting a look into his work of line and to see these everyday people and their stories. How we actually work together in a society or small town. Loved the bar and what happened there. The movie generally had a very pleasant atmosphere. The one thing is, I don't think I got the point at the end if there was a point. The whole fish-line it ends up with.

It's atrocious don't watch it

oh lighten up already. It's schlock, but it's good for it and features a fairly bitching Alan Silvestri soundtrack.
also: "I give you... VAN HELSING!". This movie is actually pretty great for what it is. It's certainly better than the SW prequels, despite being contemporary with them. It is also better than the 'Monster Universe' films made since.

edit: wait, am I seeing someone give two stars to Mask of the Phantasm?

iu

Something isn't right here.

it kind of depends greatly on having grown up on TAS as a saturday morning cartoon. Seriously, fuck Spider-Man, fuck Iron Man, fuck The Fantastic Four, BATMAN is why you watched those cartoons.

lordxar

Blood Diner This came up during my first Halloween marathon a couple years ago and in that time I finally got to see Blood Feast and now this which I really dug. Its every bit as stupid and out there as Blood Feast was and its got 80's style oozing from every cut and dripping from every severed limb.

The Waterboy What can I say, this movie is just fun to watch. I think I had more fun seeing it the first time but I still enjoyed it.

kevin1025

Banned
is this still my favorite movie of all time? yea it is.

It was at the perfect crossroads of my life. Same age as Scott Pilgrim when it came out, lots of Canada, I was about to head into a screenwriting program, video game references, Edgar Wright, I was going to Toronto soon...

And it still means a ton to me, six and a half years later!

Pachimari

edit: wait, am I seeing someone give two stars to Mask of the Phantasm?

iu

Something isn't right here.

it kind of depends greatly on having grown up on TAS as a saturday morning cartoon. Seriously, fuck Spider-Man, fuck Iron Man, fuck The Fantastic Four, BATMAN is why you watched those cartoons.

Well, I grew up with the 90s Spider-Man and X-Men animated series which I loved, but I weren't exposed much to Batman outside a few episodes and some comics. So I have no history with his TAS. Mask of the Phantasm wasn't bad at all, I just didn't think it was anything special either.

HHHscust.gif X 100

The animated series (pre batman and Robin Mickey mouse shit) is fantastic. The peak in tv superhero cartoons. And mask of the phantasm is really good too. A top 3 batman movie tbh.

T Dollarz

Hell yes, very happy to see that I'm not the only one who has Van Helsing as a damn fun guilty pleasure. I've watched it so many times on cable. Cheesy good fun. Love all the Dracula shit.

Anyone talking bad about Batman TAS can GTFO tho

I'm not the only one who likes Van Helsing...I'm not alone

Seriously, that movie is so much fun, and I love the werewolf designs. Like John Wick, it feels like a graphic novel adaptation for a comic that doesn't exist.

===

I wouldn't put The Witch above Alien or The Thing, but it's definitely in my top 10

Pachimari

You guys makes me wanna watch Van Helsing now. I've never seen it. Isn't it based on a comic book?

I watched Under the Skin last night and is in the cinema for Ghost in the Shell now. And then I'll finish Cop Car when I get home and The Salesman tonight.

Gonna be seeing Beauty and the Beast (remake) in just over an hour. I wasn't sure about going at first but I need those musical numbers goddamn it.
You guys makes me wanna watch Van Helsing now. I've never seen it. Isn't it based on a comic book?

I watched Under the Skin last night and is in the cinema for Ghost in the Shell now. And then I'll finish Cop Car when I get home and The Salesman tonight.
Van Helsing is from Bram Stoker's Dracula, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom