• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icolin

Banned
Inception

WOOOOOMMMPPP noise and occasionally corny dialogue aside, this movie is pretty much perfect. Easy to follow and beautifully shot action sequences, Hans Zimmer's great OST, and an awesome mindfuck of a story... I'd forgotten just how great this film truly is. Tough to say if this is my favorite Nolan film, given how much my opinion changes on rewatches (sometimes it's Memento, sometimes it's TDK, other times it's TDKR or Batman Begins), but it's a strong contender for sure.

Dunkirk trailers look meh, but I have complete faith in the man who gave us Inception, Memento, Batman Begins, TDK, TDKR, Insomnia, The Prestige and Interstellar. And going off of the Dunkirk trailer, at least it'll look and sound dope (seriously, that Zimmer track in the second half of the Dunkirk trailer is dope as fuck).

Divius

Time to watch some (hopefully) good movies from my backlog, starting out short and sweet with Chaplin's The Kid and then I'm going to tackle a long(er) movie... Probably one of the movies listed below, anyone willing to make a case for one?

A Brighter Summer Day [1991]
Andrei Rublev [1966]
Giant [1956]
Doctor Zhivago [1965]
The Leopard [1963]
Short Cuts [1993]
Judgment at Nuremberg [1961]
Underground [1995]

American Psycho II: All American Girl

That was...really bad. Hilariously so. Definitely direct-to-dvd tier. It barely has anything in common with the first movie, and the way they tried to tie this one to it was amateur as hell. Maaan this was awful, haha.

⭐

MoodyFog

Time to watch some (hopefully) good movies from my backlog, starting out short and sweet with Chaplin's The Kid and then I'm going to tackle a long(er) movie... Probably one of the movies listed below, anyone willing to make a case for one?

Andrei Rublev [1966]
Giant [1956]
Doctor Zhivago [1965]
The Leopard [1963]
Short Cuts [1993]
Underground [1995]

The Leopard has Claudia Cardinale in it.

Andrei Rublev [1966]
Giant [1956]
Doctor Zhivago [1965]
The Leopard [1963]
Short Cuts [1993]
Underground [1995]

I've seen most of these and they're all great, but I'll throw my hat in for Judgement at Nuremberg because I saw it a few years ago and was kind of blown away. Wall to wall courtroom drama dialogue that remains totally gripping and makes it feel like half its 3 hour running time, if that. Masterful writing, performances, and cinematography. If the genre and/or subject matter appeal to you at all, you should get to it ASAP. It's up there with the greatest court/post-WW2/Cold War movies ever IMO.

TheFlow

Banned
Red Beard 1965
★★★½
As a medical student I appreciate this film. Kurosawa has his signature shots and melodrama loud and center. Focusing more on the patients than Red beard and Noburo was a bold move. It works when it works, but sometimes I felt it didn't add much to the film. The film could have been half the length and told the same point. Money and fame means nothing when you are on a deathbed. Sad to know this is Mifune's last role with Kurosawa.

A Dog's Purpose isn't a great film. It's stupid, melodramatic, boring and badly paced in parts, with an extremely hackneyed message to convey. Josh Gadd is a really bad dog (see what I did there) when I think of it now., the acting of the humans isn't great, and apparently there was animal abuse of the film set. Boo.

So the film isn't remarkable. The experience of sitting in the cinema, while so many other people watching it were weeping and crying over it, was actually quite extraordinary. Granted I'm not a dog person (I have a cat) but all those people getting so much empathy from that film, it was pretty mad. Apparently not getting it makes me weird.

Anyway, the film isn't great, although it kinda looks great with some excellent shots and composition at times, but the experience was unparalleled, really. Still not a reccomendation though.

I've seen most of these and they're all great, but I'll throw my hat in for Judgement at Nuremberg because I saw it a few years ago and was kind of blown away. Wall to wall courtroom drama dialogue that remains totally gripping and makes it feel like half its 3 hour running time, if that. Masterful writing, performances, and cinematography. If the genre and/or subject matter appeal to you at all, you should get to it ASAP. It's up there with the greatest court/post-WW2/Cold War movies ever IMO.

I second this

The only movie I've seen this year is Get Out and it was a complete WTF experience.
Especially when they stopped the movie half way through to tell the kids sitting at the back and recording the movie on their phones to get out.

TheFlow

Banned

Andrei Rublev [1966]
Giant [1956]
Doctor Zhivago [1965]
The Leopard [1963]
Short Cuts [1993]
Underground [1995]

bolded

TheFlow

Banned
started watching Dodes'ka-den

I like to look up the history of a movie and ect before I watch it and man was this depressing. Basically Drove Kurosawa into depression.

Inception

WOOOOOMMMPPP noise and occasionally corny dialogue aside, this movie is pretty much perfect. Easy to follow and beautifully shot action sequences, Hans Zimmer's great OST, and an awesome mindfuck of a story... I'd forgotten just how great this film truly is. Tough to say if this is my favorite Nolan film, given how much my opinion changes on rewatches (sometimes it's Memento, sometimes it's TDK, other times it's TDKR or Batman Begins), but it's a strong contender for sure.

Dunkirk trailers look meh, but I have complete faith in the man who gave us Inception, Memento, Batman Begins, TDK, TDKR, Insomnia, The Prestige and Interstellar. And going off of the Dunkirk trailer, at least it'll look and sound dope (seriously, that Zimmer track in the second half of the Dunkirk trailer is dope as fuck).

Bruv the IMAX prologue is amazing. The sound design and editing made every second hella suspenseful. I don't want to gas this up, but the urgency and visual storytelling made this legit feel like it might be Nolan's best movie

kevin1025

Banned
Bruv the IMAX prologue is amazing. The sound design and editing made every second hella suspenseful. I don't want to gas this up, but the urgency and visual storytelling made this legit feel like it might be Nolan's best movie

Yep, I went from fairly interested in seeing a new Christopher Nolan movie to it being the second most anticipated movie of the year for me, solely on the IMAX prologue.

(Number one movie is The Last Jedi. My favorite film series and Rian Johnson... nothing is toppling that excitement.)

The Leopard has Claudia Cardinale in it.

Ha. You really can't make a better case than that!

I will add this: The whole cast is incredible, Nino Rota's score is incredible, it's a rapturous display of cinemascope cinematography, and the final (forty minute!) ballroom sequence is one of the greatest passages in cinema history.

You don't even have to take my word for it: Martin Scorsese agrees with me. :)

JTripper

Speaking of Nino Rota (Coppola gave him a shout out last night for his impeccable work on Fellini's films and Rocco and his Brothers), I was at the 45th Anniversary screening of Godfather 1 and 2 at Radio City Music Hall and it was quite the experience. Part 1 is my favorite movie of all-time and last night's screening cemented that even further; I even think the person sitting next to me was watching for the first time based on their reactions to certain scenes, which was pretty fun to experience.

I mean, Part 2 is great and all, but........just, Part 1 is where it's at lol. I can see how 2's grand scale story might appeal to a crowd who might not have gelled with 1 on a first or second viewing, but 1 is just the heart of the films for me. The scene in the garden between Michael and Vito is my absolute favorite. It's subtle and emotional, and when Vito gets up to switch chairs, it creates a visual that is simply to die for. Every performance is perfect, but on this viewing I thought Duvall's Tom Hagen as one of the great underrated performances.

Another possibly controversial note on Part 2: it would be NOTHING without Vito's origin flashbacks and the masterful transitions from Michael's present and his father's past. While the stuff in Miami and Havana is absolutely necessary for the dramatic impact of the third act, it's *kinda* boring to sit through, at least for me. My view on Part 2 is you simply come to watch Michael's story, but you stay for Vito's. I have to say though, 2's ending is absolutely note-perfect.

Pachimari

Fargo (1996) - ★★★☆☆
I didn't understand much of anything. I know that Jerry had debt, decides to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife, so that they can ask a ransom out of his father-in-law. But everything else was confusing to me.

kevin1025

Banned
Fargo (1996) - ★★★☆☆
I didn't understand much of anything. I know that Jerry had debt, decides to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife, so that they can ask a ransom out of his father-in-law. But everything else was confusing to me.

The heck ya mean?!

Jerry tried to get his father in law to buy a lot instead, so that the kidnapping didn't have to go through. But that darn Stan Grossman wanted to give him a finder's fee, rather than lending Jerry the money to do the deal himself. They're not horse trading, after all. So the kidnapping goes through, and he was going to do the transfer and take out his huge chunk for the debt so that the big dude and the little fella only got a small share. But then you get "no Jean, no money!"

Add in a lot of Coen-esque dialogue, some great moments, "you're such a special lady", and you've got Fargo.

Ridley327

And before April closes out:

The Chaser: Rock solid serial killer tale that unfolds in a highly unconventional yet satisfying manner. Surprisingly enough, it's only as bloody as it needs to be, which makes the impact of the violence land a lot harder and feels just as painful emotionally as it does physically. Anchoring the entire story is a fascinating protagonist in Joong-ho, whose initial prickly charm develops into a complicated tale of redemption, with Kim Yoon-seok proving up to the task of making such a complicated person feel very believable. The film does ask you to go along with it as some contrivances are made to put things in their proper place, but it's well worth it for all the surprising twists and turns it makes along the way, along with the strong direction from Na Hong-jin that keeps the film constantly moving while nailing an atmosphere of unease that keeps the tension high.

The Yellow Sea: Superb genre-bender that keeps you coming back for more with each surprising twist. The initial "desperate man in a desperate situation" setup gives way to a cracking series of thrillers, and it turns out that the distinct break in each of the four acts offers up a much needed breather in between as the situation gets more and more complex, radically expanding the scope as the film moves along at a strong, steady clip. This is the kind of story that does rely pretty heavily on the old Korean thriller cliche of featuring utterly incompetent policemen and henchmen that just can't seem to do much of anything against lead characters, but it hardly seems to matter much when the action gets going and doesn't let up for a second, combining Bourne-style camerawork with the kind of brutal action that the country of origin is so well known for. Though there's no shortage of incident on display, it still makes plenty of time for us to get to know our reluctant hero in Gu-nam better, with Ha Jung-woo bringing a nice vulnerability and intelligence to the role while being believable as an action hero of sorts with each fight and chase he finds himself getting into. Arguably, it's Kim Yun-seok who steals the film as Mr. Myun, a mid-level trafficker who is a lot more fearless and crafty than we're initially led to believe, with Kim giving the role a nice swagger and charisma that makes you forget that he's one of the villains of this piece. It's a ridiculously entertaining film from top to bottom, directed with a lot of confidence to ensure its place as one of the top exports we've seen from South Korea.

lordxar

Demons 2 My final film of April is this trashy 80's flick from the Italians which I enjoyed the first and now second. The effects were pretty good here. Not much story but you don't watch a movie like this for story.

They really fucked up in Demons 2 by not having the characters watching the first Demons on TV.

Great fx work, but the first is much better overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom