• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

F34R

I'm having trouble as well logging online. It's nothing on my end since all my other wifi devices are connected. How do I reboot? I can only figure out how to sleep

You can hold the power button down and you'll see a menu come up for Sleep Mode or Power Options. Chose Power Options and Restart.

Tubie

2 days since I bought my Switch and I still haven't set up the dock with my TV.

I'm loving this thing as a handheld.

Poppyseed

The Switch doesn't seem to do well with downloading games while playing games. Was playing Binding of Isaac while downloading Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and the sound was cutting in and out occasionally and load times between rooms was elongated.

Kudo

Yeah I'm only getting the sleep mode option. Under that is auto-brightness. I have a US Switch if that makes a difference

The Home button is not Power Button, Power button is located in the console/tablet next to the volume buttons, you need to press that down for few seconds like 5.

The Home button is not Power Button, Power button is located in the console/tablet next to the volume buttons, you need to press that down for few seconds like 5.

Wow. I have had this console for 3 weeks and I just thought the home button was the power button. Never noticed the actual power button near the volume. thanks for the help everyone! That also solved my connection issues and I can get on the eshop again. Not sure what the issue was

Kamina

Golden Boy
Wow. I have had this console for 3 weeks and I just thought the home button was the power button. Never noticed the actual power button near the volume. thanks for the help everyone! That also solved my connection issues and I can get on the eshop again. Not sure what the issue was
How did you turn it on when you unboxied it first? It must've been by pressing the actual power button.

Kikorin

Wow guys I've just found that both my joycons have a range A LOT less powerful than my brother's ones! I thought it was normal at first, but when my brother bought his Switch we tried and his joycons works perfectly from really far and with all sort of things in front of them. Mine already have problems from like 2 meters from the TV and completely don't works if there's something between TV and them.

Tomorrow I'll call Nintendo to change them, but I really suggest who think to have a problem with joycons to try with the ones of some friend, because in my case the difference is huge (also on right joycons, that works better than the left one anyway).

2 days since I bought my Switch and I still haven't set up the dock with my TV.

I'm loving this thing as a handheld.

Had mine for over 2 weeks, didn't even take the dock out of the box the first week. Then set it up once, didn't like how Zelda looked on my monitor, chucked the dock in the closet and never thought of using it again.

This is how I play my Switch most of the time:

Nintendo-Switch-Bed.png

Except that my hands rest on the bed at my sides or on my body, and I don't use the joycon straps (I find them more comfortable to hold without them), and my holder is black instead of white (but the same model in the picture).

FdEahlg.jpg

k13m7rtgj9jy.jpg

It really is a dream setup. And no other gaming system allows it. I think the flexibility of the Switch with its form factor and the detachable Joycons make it so adaptable to differing environments and play styles, and is a big part of its appeal and what will make it a huge success. I love that Nintendo not only make some of the best games in the world, but they're also visionary hardware designers who always push new boundaries and bring innovations to the industry.

KAL2006

Banned
Had mine for over 2 weeks, didn't even take the dock out of the box the first week. Then set it up once, didn't like how Zelda looked on my monitor, chucked the dock in the closet and never thought of using it again.

Nintendo-Switch-Bed.png

Except that my hands rest on the bed at my sides or on my body, and I don't use the joycon straps (I find them more comfortable to hold without them), and my holder is black instead of white (but the same model in the picture).

FdEahlg.jpg

k13m7rtgj9jy.jpg

It really is a dream setup. And no other gaming system allows it. I think the flexibility of the Switch with its form factor and the detachable Joycons make it so adaptable to differing environments and play styles, and is a big part of its appeal and what will make it a huge success. I love that Nintendo not only make some of the best games in the world, but they're also visionary hardware designers who always push new boundaries and bring innovations to the industry.

I gurss it is all down to each person. But i dont get it, i just have a TV right in front of my bed. Bought a 4k for the downstairs and moved the old TV upstairs. We have 3 HDTVs in the house. I dont see why people would need thst set uo unless you are strapped for cash and sell your old TVs when you upgrade.

ryushe

I gurss it is all down to each person. But i dont get it, i just have a TV right in front of my bed. Bought a 4k for the downstairs and moved the old TV upstairs. We have 3 HDTVs in the house. I dont see why people would need thst set uo unless you are strapped for cash and sell your old TVs when you upgrade.
I have two huge TVs in my home (one of which is 4K) and I vastly prefer portable mode to docked, but yeah, I don't get that setup either.

1. I don't have a TV because I don't need one. I don't watch TV or movies and I don't have any consoles other than Switch (which I bought specifically for this use case).

2. If I sit on a chair for any extended amount of time my back starts to hurt.

3. Playing with the joycons split allows you to move and rest your arms individually​ in any position and I find that infinitely more comfortable than holding a traditional controller (e.g. Pro Controller or Joycons+Grip) which forces your arms in a fixed narrow position.

4. Try playing the Switch in handheld mode (with the joycons attached to the tablet) while laying on your back. I guarantee your hands will get fatigued very quickly.

Also lol @ "I have 3 HDTVs and 4K and why isn't everyone like me, I don't get it"

ryushe

4. Try playing the Switch in handheld mode (with the joycons attached to the tablet) while laying on your back. I guarantee your hands will get fatigued very quickly.
I play it like this pretty much every night before bed for about 30 minutes to an hour and I've never suffered any type of fatigue.

While that set up does nothing for me, I do love the split Joy-con setup. One of my favorite things about the Wii is back and better than ever.

Tubie

Nintendo-Switch-Bed.png

FdEahlg.jpg

k13m7rtgj9jy.jpg

Oh wow that really is a dream set up!

I really agree with you, specially on that last part. When I first saw this console I didn't think much of it (even thought of it as mostly a silly gimmick), but now I really appreciate the detachable Joycons and portable screen.

jts

...hate me...
Wow, jesus.

I know you're banned but also, you forgot to factor in that you need multiple $90 docks to have the Switch easily hooked to all your TVs. Good on you if you don't really mind that kind of spending, though. But yet it that kind of setup would still offer other advantages over just using TVs (such as head position, reduced lighting on bedroom and easy access to headphone jack).

t hicks

Banned
Hoping we hear more about the Pocket Rumble release date soon, really dying to play some more stuff on this thing (especially stuff with local co-op!)

DavidDesu

I need one of those bedside Switch holders. Playing laying in bed with the screen above me is sort of my dream, lol. Amazing way to play Zelda. Any links to what people have bought?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I only play docked (vast majority of time) or occasionally in portable mode while watching sports or stuck in a waiting room (car appointment the other day), but I can see the appeal of the bed thing as portable mode can be hard on the neck and does fatigue my hands some (especially if laying down). So definitely useful for some use cases, and especially people without TVs. I'm priveledged and we qhave two as we both watch a lot of TVs and movies and I play a lot of games so we need our own spaces.

_Clash_

All these people with these bed sloth setups must really like their beds. Like, I don't get it. Spending time in bed with screen activity just complicates my sleep.along with excessive time in bed and not doing anything complicaing things firther.

But more power to you folk

I posted on the last page if anyone know if Romance of the Three Kingdoms (which comes out on switch in japan this week) will come to the US.

Instead does anyone know if it has an english option? I would just import it to have another game to play on the go with my switch.

Thanks!

I need one of those bedside Switch holders. Playing laying in bed with the screen above me is sort of my dream, lol. Amazing way to play Zelda. Any links to what people have bought?

This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AUQ33LG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It also seems to be the one most are getting. If you Google Nintendo Switch bed holder you'll find articles and reddit threads discussing this one. The product pages even lists the Switch in the title now and plenty of Amazon reviews do. Although when I ordered it there wasn't any mention of Switch on it and I just decided on it after a long session of research and taking measurements, but glad to see the "community" seems to have converged on it :)

I'll quote myself from another thread for more info:

And I'm so glad it [Zelda] is on a portable, because I might have not played it otherwise. And not only is the Switch a portable, but it's one that allows you to play it in any number of different modes and setups to suit your preferences and environment. My favorite is playing while laying in bed with a joycon in each hand and the tablet "floating" over my head in a holder; it's the most comfortable and natural thing for me. No hand cramps, backache, or forearm fatigue. When my friend tried this setup he said "It feels like I'm controlling the game with my brain."

Edit: if anyone buys this holder make sure you don't overtighten the thing when you install it, or the plastic will start cracking​. I read that in the reviews and also the seller will mention it in an email after your product is delivered. I've been using mine for a week (and installating it and removing it after every use) with no issues, as long as you're aware of its weak points and careful with it.

I recommend the one I linked to, it's not perfect, has a few issues, and depending on your bedframe might not work at all, but from my research on Amazon this one seemed to be the best bang for buck one by a large margin. And there were only one or two others that were actually "compatible" with the Switch (the rest were designed for tablets that are either wider or shorter).

osknoes

What's the consensus on a good power adapter/cable, that is not as expensive as the official one, to charge the switch when it's not docked ?

Anybody got links ?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok that's a problem. The left side of my Switch is fucked a little. The left joycon isn't attaching properly. Well seemingly it is, and it clicks down, but all I have to do is pull the joycon to remove it. I don't have to press down on the button on the back of the joycon to remove it. The right joycon is fine.

Silvard

Are there any grips or something for handheld mode? I don't know if I'm holding it wrong or something but it's the most uncomfortable handheld I've ever used, and I've used pretty much all handheld systems (including Ngage) extensively.

On that note it's really annoying that there is no way to independently charge the joy cons out of the box. If you're playing in docked mode and your joy cons run out of battery then you're forced to either play in handheld mode (could only bear it for 10 minutes yesterday and my wrist still hurts from it) or stop playing while they charge attached to the tablet. It's really inexcusable that the included grip isn't a charging one.

Hmm, my HDMI-CEC control seems to have stopped working since I unplugged the dock a few days ago. Toggling the match power state on and off, unplugged/replugged, restarting the console doesn't seem to enable it back. My TV won't detect it.

Anyone knows what's causing the issue?

japtor

Are there any grips or something for handheld mode? I don't know if I'm holding it wrong or something but it's the most uncomfortable handheld I've ever used, and I've used pretty much all handheld systems (including Ngage) extensively.

On that note it's really annoying that there is no way to independently charge the joy cons out of the box. If you're playing in docked mode and your joy cons run out of battery then you're forced to either play in handheld mode (could only bear it for 10 minutes yesterday and my wrist still hurts from it) or stop playing while they charge attached to the tablet. It's really inexcusable that the included grip isn't a charging one.
I get the annoyance in theory, but in practice have you actually run out of joycon battery while playing? I feel like it'd be hard to do outside of super marathon sessions and/or just never bothering to put them back on the system to charge when you sleep or something.

sirap

Trying to decide which color I should go for my first pair of Joycons.

51l1okbfkuL._SY445_.jpg

250px-Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-Purple-FL.jpg

The GBA holds a special place in my heart but the gamecube color scheme has already been done by Boss Fight Props. Any other recommendations? I've got like 3 extra pairs so I'm open to experimentation.

fantomena

To me, there's 2 types of modes, handheld mode and docked mode with Pro controller. Ive tried palying with the joycons in docked mode, but my hands are too big, they are uncomfortable and I press the wrong buttons.

Sadly, the Pro controller wont' be avaialble in Norwegian stores until sometime april and they costs a shitload of money. Cheapest Ive seen is 76$ aka 649 nok.

Silvard

I get the annoyance in theory, but in practice have you actually run out of joycon battery while playing? I feel like it'd be hard to do outside of super marathon sessions and/or just never bothering to put them back on the system to charge when you sleep or something.

Yes, although to be fair it was the first time I played it straight out of the box, so I don't know if they came with a full charge. I do tend to do marathon sessions though. I wish I didn't have to spend extra to make them possible or be forced to use handheld mode and I forgot to dock the joy cons overnight.

jyoung188

Do game saves from physical games carry over to a downloaded copy of the same game? I have a zelda cart but want to get it digitally unless I have to start over.

So I just put a glass screen protector on. Sadly a small piece of dust got underneath and its creating a screen bubble. Going to drive me nuts for a while. How long should I let this system site before putting it into the dock and playing it? I know the system will get hot and dont want to ruin the screen protector.

Peltz

So I noticed when I was playing Splatoon beta earlier that sometimes my character would just get stuck running left even after I let go of the stick. Is this related to that de-syncing left joy con issue?
I always thought the issue was that the joy con just shuts off. But now I'm thinking this must be what people meant.

Yea, you should send it in. That sounds like a de-sync.

peakish

Putting my thoughts on the games I've played on the Switch so far.

World of Goo: Played it before but still good fun, a bit short but sweet. Works well on the touch screen, decently using the gyro since constant use desyncs in time. Recommended.

Blaster Master Zero: Eh, the base mechanics are fine but there's very little substance to the game. You've seen it all in the first 30 minutes.

Voez: Very fun! I love how the bars that you are hitting move around with the music, it all adds to a very nice audiovisual experience. The song selection is a bit samey but I've found some favorites and am still working through the list. It's no Ouendan but what is? Recommended.

Shovel Knight: It's Shovel Knight! No game gets me as tilted as this, there's something about instadeaths and knockback that gets me every time. Good platformer though, recommended.

Zelda: Damn good but everyone here has played so whatever. I'm even considering picking up the hard mode DLC whenever that is arriving, but why is that taking so damn long? Really itching for a fix of that right now, not in three months. Recommended.

Fast RMX: It's so damn fast, I don't even know what I'm doing. Pretty fun but I don't feel like there's much more to it for me. You run a race and then it's over. Maybe I should try the multiplayer.

Splatoon 2 Test: Eh. Can't say for sure from this simple test but I might be playing the full game for the SP only at this rate. At least this short experience of playing with randoms wasn't very good, I never got a sense of cohesion to the game. Probably better if you're teaming up with friends.

Really itching for Snake Pass next week, I need a new game on this.

Where's the best place to get a dock cover in the UK?

Got my console today and my screen is spot on and I appear to have got a decent dock too, but I just want to make sure the tablet doesn't scratch.

I've seen some really nice ones but they are from the US and apparently could take two to four weeks to get here (Etsy).

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom