• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

None of the new emojis yet? I'm on android but I was hoping iOS would get the new emojis so I could start using them more often.
They're out.

🖕🖕🏻🖕🏼🖕🏽🖕🏾🖕🏿🤖👾

Squalor

Anybody know if the folks rocking the iOS10 GM version will get any sort of different update today or will it be the same?
I would think we would need a new update since our current one doesn't include the iMessages bubble-effect features that were in the first two or three betas.

FaintDeftone

I would think we would need a new update since our current one doesn't include the iMessages bubble-effect features that were in the first two or three betas.

I didn't even realize that was missing. I guess I can remove the beta profile and update as normal from now on.

jts

...hate me...
GM is usually the same build as final public release, save for any critical issue found during that week.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I didn't even realize that was missing. I guess I can remove the beta profile and update as normal from now on.

These?
Qv4CkJV.png

I just took this on the GM build (14A403).

Jeffrey

man i love seeing all the app updates on new ios day.

Too bad we probably won't get a tweetbot update of anything meaningful for a while... and its probably gonna be another paid update.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I know how to activate it.

Hasn't worked for me for a few updates, though, and it still isn't.
Something wrong on your end then, not the build.
Do I have to delete the Beta profile if I'm using the golden master version at the moment?

You only need to remove the profile if you don't want to automatically get beta builds of iOS 10.0.2 or 10.1 etc. once they go live.

Yeah, otherwise it appears to them in parenthesis.

"Hey what's up"
(Sent with SLAM)

Additionally, stickers just send as regular images.

Too bad, I was hoping maybe they snuck in the ability to receive with 9.3.5 or something. It would be smart. Being able to see it but not use it would make people upgrade in a hurry.

Too bad, I was hoping maybe they snuck in the ability to receive with 9.3.5 or something. It would be smart. Being able to see it but not use it would make people upgrade in a hurry.

Not sure how that would be possible without some massive retooling and changes to the OS, is is hardly worthwhile. If you're able to update to iOS10, there's no reason not to. It's a massive improvement in all areas.

hirokazu

Anybody know if the folks rocking the iOS10 GM version will get any sort of different update today or will it be the same?
One of three things will happen, the most likely being the first:
Scenario A: GM users won't have any update today because what's coming out is what they already have.
Scenario B: GM users will see a small update because further bug fixes were made to the public release.
Scenario C: GM users won't have any update even though further bug fixes were made to the public release because Apple deems them minor enough to not need updating.

If you still have the developer or public beta profile installed, you might see a 10.1 beta appear soon, if Apple decides it's time to beta test that.

Not sure how that would be possible without some massive retooling and changes to the OS, is is hardly worthwhile. If you're able to update to iOS10, there's no reason not to. It's a massive improvement in all areas.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just surrounded by people who don't really care and will update whenever. Sending them some crazy animated message would blow some minds.

Tabris

How can someone rate iOS10 highly? All it's doing is introducing a bunch of fun message features that the Asian messengers like LINE and WeChat have had for a long time. I don't see that many new features outside messenger.

My most anticipated feature is actually between watchOS3 and MacOS Sierra and that's the apple watch unlock. That's a game changer because I type my password probably 30-50 times in a day easily.

A question for those already running iOS 10, does the OS now finally allow you to track your data on a per month basis and have it reset to your carriers billing period? On iOS 9 it's a nightmare to track for customers because they never hit "reset statistics" rendering it pointless.

cjp

How can someone rate iOS10 highly? All it's doing is introducing a bunch of fun message features that the Asian messengers like LINE and WeChat have had for a long time. I don't see that many new features outside messenger.

My most anticipated feature is actually between watchOS3 and MacOS Sierra and that's the apple watch unlock. That's a game changer because I type my password probably 30-50 times in a day easily.

But much like there's been Asian messengers that have had those features for a long time, there's also been many apps that replicate the auto unlock from Apple Watch for a long time.

breakfuss

The 6S I own is my first iPhone. Should I update to iOS 10 or do people generally wait first?

Hell, I'm on a 6 and the beta has worked just fine the few weeks I've used it. Go ahead and update. You'll also have stuff like raise-to-wake and 3D Touch that I haven't gotten to test out.

Squalor

Something wrong on your end then, not the build.
Seems they turned off the effects when Reduce Motion is enabled. That happened a few updates ago, and I don' think Apple ever announced it.

The interface without Reduced Motion is ugly as hell. Oh well. No effects for me.

Looks like they're about to push some of the changes live. Apple Music just stopped working on my Mac OS Sierra GM build right after it asked me to accept T&C (it wouldn't let me do that)

mollipen

You only wait if your phone is like 4 years old.

Hell no. You always wait, no matter your phone model. Too much sloppiness in iOS at that point to trust an update or new version right away.

Plus, had I known how horrible the Music app would become in iOS 9, I would have stuck to 8 for as long as possible. I'm not upgrading to 10 anytime soon out of concern that said app got worse.

Oppo

heh.

"this set of messenger features is not a game changer, it's available otherwise. meanwhile, this otherwise-available watch feature, is a game changer!"

Squalor

Hell no. You always wait, no matter your phone model. Too much sloppiness in iOS at that point to trust an update or new version right away.
As someone who has used betas for the last three IOSes on phones that could properly handle the software, I have to tell you that you do not know what you are talking about.

breakfuss

Man, when are they going to add a locations toggle to the swipe-up menu :(. I would use that everyday instead of just leaving it on all the time.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Looks like they're about to push some of the changes live. Apple Music just stopped working on my Mac OS Sierra GM build right after it asked me to accept T&C (it wouldn't let me do that)

yup, I downloaded some Messages apps this morning, and just went to download one now and it said Terms were updated and I had to agree. So looks like it's coming anytime now.

Plus, had I known how horrible the Music app would become in iOS 9, I would have stuck to 8 for as long as possible. I'm not upgrading to 10 anytime soon out of concern that said app got worse.

umm... so much (bizarre) opinion here.

objectively, iOS early adopters in the majority have almost nothing to fear. There usually does seem to be a bug or two that affect an extremely small number of users (less than 1% on average), but most users migrate just fine.

subjectively... obviously some people might not like changes.. Music in 9 was a generally poorly received change. Photostream in (5? 6?) was a generally poorly received change. Mostly stuff is well received though.

Music has been greatly improved in 10. People who want music from 8 and earlier are just going to have to get over it already. But 10 is a great music app. Not perfect, but more than "just" usable".

mollipen

As someone who has used betas for the last three IOSes on phones that could properly handle the software, I have to tell you that you do not know what you are talking about.

I've been using iPhones since the 3G, and there hasn't been a major number line of iOS along the way that didn't have "I wish I wouldn't have rushed to update" moments.

Hell, Mac OS is the exact same thing, and I've been using that since System 6. Almost every OS should be "wait and see" as far as I'm concerned.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, looks like that due to an iOS10 bug, the Kevo deadbolt pretty much stops operating in a truly useful way. I guess I should really reconsider updating now. This sucks badly, and I can't believe it went through all these betas without fixing such a visible problem. Kwikset is saying they are working with Apple on fixing this, but it sounds like they knew about the problem since the very first iOS10 beta, and Apple never did anything about it.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/13/ios-10-bluetooth-le-peripheral-mode-bug/

Essentially, it sounds like a background Bluetooth access is broken for 3rd party apps in iOS10, but very few apps use something like that - the Kevo being the most prominent one probably.

breakfuss

I've been using iPhones since the 3G, and there hasn't been a major number line of iOS along the way that didn't have "I wish I wouldn't have rushed to update" moments.

Hell, Mac OS is the exact same thing, and I've been using that since System 6. Almost every OS should be "wait and see" as far as I'm concerned.

Well iOS 9 definitely wasn't like that and 10 works perfectly from the jump as well.

Fliesen

I think ever since the public betas this really isnt the case anymore. Unless your device is more than 3 generations old.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

your posts are confusing though.... wait and see why? For bugs? Even you ahven't objectively stated anything on bugs, which as I mentioned above are generally bug-free aside from a small number of affected users (for whatever reason).

Because you "don't like a feature"? I mean...... the feature is still going to be there... you're not going to dislike it any less by waiting 2 months to update.

It seems you're saying "I don't want to update because it usually has stuff I don't like", but I mean logic says when you do update... it still has stuff you don't like. Putting it off in that case won't accomplish anything but putting off the inevitable.

Squalor

Sucks you are, somehow, in the very small minority every time. Although, I do not know what you are talking about since you are pointedly being vague.

But your experience is not that of the overwhelming majority. If one has an up-to-date phone, there is generally no need to wait before updating.

The only update I recall regretting was iOS 9 on my 6+. That update was a shit show on the 6+ and everything was just insanely laggy and janky until like 9.2 or something.

Running iOS 10 on my 6+ now and everything is great.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think ever since the public betas this really isnt the case anymore. Unless your device is more than 3 generations old.
Well I've just discovered a pretty massive reason not to update right away, as I noted in the post above. The problem exists on all devices.

acevans2

Okay, I feel dumb. How do I animate the text messages I send? I've seen promo videos where the message shakes or comes in large and lands in it's spot.

A how-to showed that I'm supposed to 3D touch the blue circle arrow and select but nothing's happening when I press hard on that. I can 3D touch other things (6S) without issue.

Squalor

Okay, I feel dumb. How do I animate the text messages I send? I've seen promo videos where the message shakes or comes in large and lands in it's spot.

A how-to showed that I'm supposed to 3D touch the blue circle arrow and select but nothing's happening when I press hard on that. I can 3D touch other things (6S) without issue.
As I have discovered since the feature stopped working for me a few beta updates ago, Apple removed the feature if you have Reduced Motion enabled.

It sucks. But non-Reduced Motion is horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom