• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

But much like there's been Asian messengers that have had those features for a long time, there's also been many apps that replicate the auto unlock from Apple Watch for a long time.

heh.

"this set of messenger features is not a game changer, it's available otherwise. meanwhile, this otherwise-available watch feature, is a game changer!"

Really? What app does that? Isn't that a safety concern giving an app the hooks to access your login on your Mac?

RDreamer

I've been using iPhones since the 3G, and there hasn't been a major number line of iOS along the way that didn't have "I wish I wouldn't have rushed to update" moments.

Hell, Mac OS is the exact same thing, and I've been using that since System 6. Almost every OS should be "wait and see" as far as I'm concerned.

For me and the crowd I work with/are friends with we all update Phones right away but wait a while for Mac OS. We need programs for work and if any incompatibilities pop up on Mac OS we're fucked, so we wait it out. Never had a problem with iOS though really.

Ambitious

Oh, so apparently star ratings have indeed been removed from the Music app? How dumb. Is it at least possible to hide the app? I have no need for it.

Can someone with iOS 10 send the new emojis and use the new messaging features with people who have older phones, or is that stuff just between iOS 10 devices?

Squalor

Oh, so apparently star ratings have indeed been removed from the Music app? How dumb. Is it at least possible to hide the app? I have no need for it.
Just delete it.
Can someone with iOS 10 send the new emojis and use the new messaging features with people who have older phones, or is that stuff just between iOS 10 devices?
Between iOS 10 devices only for the iMessage features.

New emojis can be seen by older iPhones, copied, pasted, and sent.

Anion

Wait just to clarify, so all I do is delete the beta profile and then my iPhone is back on the regular consumer track for updates?

I noticed things were a lot smoother on my iPad Mini 2 and I was reading the Anandtech iOS 10 review...

The iOS 10 APIs now spread out the work done during the lifecycle of a cell. Cells are now setup well before they need to be rendered, and the display process is spread out so a row of many cells doesn't need to be rendered at the exact same time right before they need to be shown on the screen. Cells are also kept for longer after they exit the screen, which means if the user quickly scrolls back the cell display method can simply be called again rather than having to get a new cell from the reuse queue, set it up, and draw it.

It honestly surprises me that Apple didn't make these changes sooner, because the impact on performance is dramatic. The iPhone 5s on iOS 10 has better scrolling performance than it ever has in the previous three years. This sort of thing is difficult to profile well even with XCode and Instruments, but I think it'll be immediately obvious to users that performance is improved, especially for users of older iOS devices that haven't had such a good time after being updated to iOS 8 and iOS 9.

I was wondering why the OS was a lot less janky.

Tabris

Man I used to remember when trying to download iOS updates via iTunes on launch day was a constant string of errors for hours before finally getting it through.

Apple has definitely improved that.

cjp

Really? What app does that? Isn't that a safety concern giving an app the hooks to access your login on your Mac?

I use MacID.

Which I will be continuing to do seeing as my Mac isn't supported for that native unlock.

Squalor

Lyft's update today enables its Maps and Siri compatibility.

I just ordered a Lyft with "Hey, Siri."

Uber isn't ready yet.

Yelp also has Maps and Siri integration today.

Still running into weird bugs (can cause a springboard crash in music which is 100% repeatable) but it's uncanny how much better this runs on a 6+. Makes it feel like a whole new phone. Though I can't figure out how to make the Mario stickers look the way they do in the screenshots!

Ambitious

Just delete it.

Between iOS 10 devices only for the iMessage features.

New emojis can be seen by older iPhones, copied, pasted, and sent.

Yeah. That's what I meant with "hiding". I just didn't know whether the Music app was among those which can be hidden with iOS 10.

Squalor

Yeah. That's what I meant with "hiding". I just didn't know whether the Music app was among those which can be hidden with iOS 10.
The ones you can't delete are App Store, Camera, Clock, Feedback, Find iPhone, Health, Messages, Phone, Photos, Safari, Settings, and Wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom