• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Tower Movie officially announced (Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyba89

Just announced by King himself on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/704674793145159680

FWXiUOs.png

EDIT:
Idris Elba & Matthew McConaughey on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/McConaughey/status/704679948179484672
Ibv6GAD.png

Entertaiment Weekly article with more details:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey
It’s easy to imagine that phrase being The Dark Tower’s version of “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away …,” serving to introduce almost any part of the saga. But this first film will not adapt the plot of the first book, The Gunslinger, published in 1982.
“[The movie] starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story,” King says.

Read book #1 and it was not good at all. But glad to see Idris getting significant jobs.

i digress. the first book has a very cool atmosphere to it. but the plot really picks up in the second one. that would make a cool film.

i dunno how they're going to make the first one into an accessible movie. i hope they do their own thing. just divide the viewers. make it interesting.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
lmao at the Idris twitter he linked. that boy gonna be famous for a few seconds.

awesome casting.

@Idris has a cool app.

"Truebill let's you find, track and manage your subscriptions. Cancel any unwanted subscriptions with 1 click."

I'm about to get it

DKehoe

So is McConaghey going to be Roland or Idris? I definitely can see McConaghey as Randall Flagg.

There has been talk for a while that Idris was going to be Roland so I'd assume it will be the case.

It'll be interesting to see if
McConaghey will also be Flagg in the adaptation of The Stand

Nameless

hahaha Rust as The Man in Black is God damn perfect.

Idris as Roland is God damn beautiful. In before the "but Roland's eyes" crowd.

Can't believe I'm actually witnessing this. So amazing.

Really warming up to Elba being Roland. I wasn't feeling it at first, but it's growing on me.

Should I read the books? If I do, I might be spoiled by this. If I don't I end up souring the books.

Realistically, what is the chance of them doing justice to the entire series? There is no way this is going to be on par with lord of the rings of doing the books justice?

I always regretted that I saw Enders Game instead of reading the book. But in the case of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings, I am glad I hadn't read the books. Nobody is more sour than salty "the books/manga was better".
dilemma...

Herbs

Banned
Should I read the books? If I do, I might be spoiled by this. If I don't I end up souring the books.

Realistically, what is the chance of them doing justice to the entire series? There is no way this is going to be on par with lord of the rings of doing the books justice?

I always regretted that I saw Enders Game instead of reading the book. But in the case of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings, I am glad I hadn't read the books. Nobody is more sour than salty "the books/manga was better".
dilemma...

I'd read them. These books are very fluid and I think fans will be less salty about changes that will be necessary to get it to a cohesive image on screen.

teiresias

Seems like the kind of cast that might be flakey to keep on board for an entire series of films. Or is this already planned as a single film only?

The Waste Lands is still my favorite of the books though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom