• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Tower Movie officially announced (Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Could you spoilerize what this means? It's been so long since I read the books any particulars are long gone, when is media res? Is that a town, I swear, I should start a re-read.

Ill let Google do it for me:

Medias res is Latin for "into the middle of things." It usually describes a narrative that begins, not at the beginning of a story, but somewhere in the middle — usually at some crucial point in the action.

Herbs

Banned
Could you spoilerize what this means? It's been so long since I read the books any particulars are long gone, when is media res? Is that a town? I swear, I should start a re-read.

media res is a phrase for in the middle of things so in the middle of the story

atr0cious

Could you spoilerize what this means? It's been so long since I read the books any particulars are long gone, when is media res? Is that a town? I swear, I should start a re-read.

Probably gonna be him at
the town of Tull, then flashback when he tells that lady why he's there. Then flashforward back to him massacring the town, then finding jake and ending the book.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Seems that this is going to be pretty different than the books in just about every way, which is pretty unsurprising. I don't hold out much hope for them getting to do their tv show along with it, either.

Honestly I'm fine with that. The worst possible outcome here is that they adhere slavishly to the books in a way that makes a bad movie or series of movies

IronRinn

Honestly I'm fine with that. The worst possible outcome here is that they adhere slavishly to the books in a way that makes a bad movie or series of movies

I don't disagree with that assessment, though honestly I don't really need the movie. I felt the same way about Watchmen, for example. I think the story and medium kind of went hand in hand (more so for Watchmen, admittedly.)

The first Dark Tower book is the first King book that I gave up on about a quarter of the way in.

Those two being cast have me very interested in the film, I must say.

butalala

As others have said, in media res means that it starts in the middle of things, like how Star Wars starts with Princess Leia's ship pursued by the Star Destroyer and Raiders of the Lost Ark starts with Indiana on an expedition instead of both of these characters being "at home" and then called into action by some plot catalyst.

Rootbeer

Banned
Love the books. Finished reading them years ago.

Clint Eastwood would be perfect but he's far, far too old (even if he wanted to do it), and nobody can fill his shoes. Maybe a different direction is what's best.

Hope this turns out to be good.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Carcetti

The Drawing of the Three is my favorite Dark Tower book and it's easily the best movie material. It could be amazing, and I really hope they don't screw this up. Just make Idris really, really weathered and worn because the Gunslinger is defined by the fact he's Seen Some Shit.

Yeah, I didn't like it either. Never read more of the series because of that.

Book 2 is amazing. :s

Pilgrimzero

Starting wth book 2 and doing flashbacks to book 1 works fine.

I'm more curious how they will handle Suzzanna though. Just hates men, maybe?

So is the man in black going to be more prevalent because they're going with McConaughey? What gets done with Odetta with the different dynamic? I'm really interested in seeing how this all works out.

Rootbeer

Banned
So is the man in black going to be more prevalent because they're going with McConaughey? What gets done with Odetta with the different dynamic? I'm really interested in seeing how this all works out.
We all are. Us book readers, anyway.

There's sure to be some substantial changes, beyond what you'd normally expect from a novel series adaptation. But it will be interesting.

McConaughey pretty much confirms RF's role is beefed up

The Drawing of the Three is my favorite Dark Tower book and it's easily the best movie material. It could be amazing, and I really hope they don't screw this up. Just make Idris really, really weathered and worn because the Gunslinger is defined by the fact he's Seen Some Shit.

Book 2 is amazing. :s
The end of Key and Peele's devil skit always reminds me of Detta and the demon while Jake is being drawn. Actually, as big of a nerd as those two are, it wouldn't surprise me if that's in the inspiration.

I swear this whole movie I'll be looking for Roland to have the horn

Sort of a spoiler...
Honestly, I hope he does, it gives the existing fans an out that it's a sequel to the original book series, the next repetition in Roland's reincarnation and penance for what he sacrifices on his journey.

Clegg

I sincerely hope they adapt a large part of Wizard and Glass. The most harrowing part of the Dark Tower series.Need to get the Susan Delgado casting right.

Meryl Streep for Rhea the Koos.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. Well played, Sony.

I sincerely hope they adapt a large part of Wizard and Glass. The most harrowing part of the Dark Tower series.Need to get the Susan Delgado casting right.

Meryl Streep for Rhea the Koos.

Delgado has Naomi Harris written all over it.

Nice choice for Rhea!

Sort of a spoiler...
Honestly, I hope he does, it gives the existing fans an out that it's a sequel to the original book series, the next repetition in Roland's reincarnation and penance for what he sacrifices on his journey.

Man, that would be ****ing awesome.

Alavard

Sort of a spoiler...

Oh shit, that could really work.

Sort of a spoiler...

That would be so amazing!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Sort of a spoiler...

Damn

That would be a way to do it

WedgeX

Banned

Sort of a spoiler...

Glad to see this idea is catching on.

Meia

Sort of a spoiler...

It's also one of the only ways that fans of the book will accept any changes to the narrative. If he has the horn, obviously this "walkthrough" of Roland to the tower would be different than the one we're familiar with after all.

The thing that always worries me about a casting change like this is you then almost have to have change after change after change, leading to a snowball effect.
Roland will be a different race, will that also effect Susannah? If it does, does that also have to effect Mia? Though to have it be simpler, Roland was always looked at differently by Detta("The really Bad Man"), so a casting change like this may not have to lead to others.

Of course a different starting point is also somewhat interesting/alarming. The first half of The Gunslinger was always pretty terrible anyway, but the whole is VERY important for a lot of stuff later on.
Jake and the Waystation is a key moment driving Roland's insanity when he causes the paradox, not to mention Father Callahan from book 5 is also revealed to have been there after Jake and Roland leaves it.

I really don't know how you get away with not starting at the beginning. I mean, you *could* just start with book 2 and have
the moments where Roland is in delirium fighting the infection be the parts where we flashback to the few important parts of book 1,
but again I'm wary of the snowball effect of change when it comes to this sort of thing.

That would be so amazing!

Damn

That would be a way to do it

Oh shit, that could really work.

Man, that would be ****ing awesome.

And that's why I think they will do it. It's just a prop, but it would be incredible for the first movie.

The fact that all the book readers would be waiting on it to be a chekhov's gun of sorts would be ridiculous though...

Voror

Definitely like that casting.

Sort of a spoiler...

Oh, I love this idea. It'd be a great way to explain away differences.

Jarmel

Banned
And that's why I think they will do it. It's just a prop, but it would be incredible for the first movie.

The fact that all the book readers would be waiting on it to be a chekhov's gun of sorts would be ridiculous though...
I feel like that would be too clever for them to actually do.

Draft

As a big fan of the book I'm ready for massive changes even if it turns out to not be a pseudo sequel. The Dark Tower goes way off the rails at several points, and ends up in one of the weirdest, least satisfying conclusions I've ever read. Modifications are not just welcome, they are needed.

But it would be cool af if Roland has his horn.

As a big fan of the book I'm ready for massive changes even if it turns out to not be a pseudo sequel. The Dark Tower goes way off the rails at several points, and ends up in one of the weirdest, least satisfying conclusions I've ever read. Modifications are not just welcome, they are needed.

But it would be cool af if Roland has his horn.

Stephen King has never written a better ending in his career. You're crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom