• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Tower Movie officially announced (Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

Dream casting for Roland would obviously be Clint Eastwood but he's way too old by now. Idris could be interesting

Halcyon

I loved the first 3-4 Dark Tower books, then I got kinda lost in the story by Wolves of the Calla and stopped reading them.

It will be neat to see it visualized in a way I can get the gist of the story.

How about James McAvoy as Eddie. And jeez Jacob Trembley was made for Jake.

Waaaay too old. Eddie is mid-20s and looks young. McAvoy is pushing 40 and looks 40.

I'd say, if not Aaron Paul, get Dylan O'Brien
Dylan-O-Brien-dylan-obrien-38353752-592-888.jpg

i should read these...

Are they all good or is there a recommended stopping point?

Second last book is weaker than the earlier ones, last book is controversial and tends to be a love/hate thing. Either way it's definitely an experience and I'd recommend going in with an open mind. Worst case if you don't like it there's always the chance that the movie(s) will deviate a bit down the line.

Herbs

Banned
Seems like the kind of cast that might be flakey to keep on board for an entire series of films. Or is this already planned as a single film only?

The Wasteland is still my favorite of the books though.

that isn't how production works. lol

I'd read them. These books are very fluid and I think fans will be less salty about changes that will be necessary to get it to a cohesive image on screen.

Ok. But is Elba young enough to carry it through age wise the character in the series? does his character age as much as Elba will realistically do by the end of.. book 5(?)

edit: 8.

Alavard

Thought the 1st book was the dullest King novel I've ever read. I guess I should try to second one, finally.

Plot-wise, the first book is almost entirely unnecessary. The book is almost entirely about setting the atmosphere, themes, and background. There is only really one moment that really matters, which is (book 1 spoiler)
Roland choosing to let Jake fall
, and a little bit more that matters in retrospect, which is (book 7 spoiler)
the cycle starting over with the first book again, Roland now having the horn this time

Meia

Doesn't this casting kind of kill part of the story of the second book?
You know, crazy Detta Walker and the "Honky mofos"? I mean, I guess she's a nutjob anyway, but still.

Outside of that, Roland was always going to be hardest to cast, but I can see it, outside of the slight changes they'd have to make.

Herbs

Banned
Ok. But is Elba young enough to carry it through age wise the character in the series? does his character age as much as Elba will realistically do by the end of.. book 5(?)

edit: 8.

book spoiler
he goes from 13-ish to old man and yes he'll age nicely

Fuck yeah, great casting. Now get Aaron Paul for Eddie.
I initially didn't really want Aaron Paul to play another Jesse type character, but after all the shite he's been in since Breaking Bad, I'm fine with it.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if
they'll expand the MiBs role now that they got a big name actor to play the part. If they split the films along the books we will barely see Matt in books two and three.

Jarmel

Banned
You know, crazy Detta Walker and the "Honky mofos"? I mean, I guess she's a nutjob anyway, but still.

You can still do that with Eddie and honestly, that should be toned down anyway.

DeviantBoi

Outside of that, Roland was always going to be hardest to cast, but I can see it, outside of the slight changes they'd have to make.
They might reverse the casting and do a white racist woman for Detta. I dunno.
I haven't read past the fourth book, so I dunno if it would affect anything else.

Meia

I wonder if
they'll expand the MiBs role now that they got a big name actor to play the part. If they split the films along the books we will barely see Matt in books two and three.

All I know is whoever is in the MiB role also better be
a new version of the Stand as Randall Flagg. Hell, they better remake Jerusalem's Lot and have that casting cross over too. :p

Herbs

Banned
I think they'll have to age up the Wizard and the glass part so I nominate
John Boyega for young Roland.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Fix this by
making Detta a white southern hick who has to get over her virulent racism. Odetta could stay a Civil Rights activist.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I think they'll have to age up the Wizard and the glass part so I nominate
John Boyega for young Roland.

Naw I kinda want
Boyega for Eddie to fit into the racial swap idea for Detta. Jake can still be white.

Solo

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/2...ephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

It’s easy to imagine that phrase being The Dark Tower’s version of “A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away …,” serving to introduce almost any part of the saga. But this first film will not adapt the plot of the first book, The Gunslinger, published in 1982.

“[The movie] starts in media res, in the middle of the story instead of at the beginning, which may upset some of the fans a little bit
, but they’ll get behind it, because it is the story,” King says.

I definitely like the idea of Idris as Roland. He has the presence and voice for the character and maybe some contacts would work to give him the dead blue eye stare.

I am a bit concerned about how this casting will affect Roland and Detta's interactions, but not enough to ask for a different casting choice.

I agree with Aaron Paul for Eddie, but maybe he is a bit to old now.

ApharmdX

Banned
This is fantastic casting. I can't imagine better casting, unless you could make Clint Eastwood 40 again. Maybe.

I'm extremely hyped for this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom