• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sooo.. that "rape joke" during the Killer Instinct demo [Microsoft apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't read that as a rape joke at all. More like the "punishment will soon be over". I guess more than a few of the aggressive shit-talking themes could be construed as rape-y sounding, but are not intended to be.

Scripted trash talk isn't trash talk. Sort of had that feel of old folks trying to force something that the young kids these days like and not delivering.

And I can see how that could be interpreted as a rape joke, but I really don't think it was a rape joke. I do think that whoever wrote it should have seen that it could have been interpreted that way, however.

I think that's the big thing to take away from this. These things are super heavily scripted, I'm pretty amazed it got through the final revision.

mclem

I have to admit, I took it instinctively that way, but the people I was watching it with didn't. I suspect it wasn't intended as such, but it *did* come across with certain unintended associations.

Wow. There's a million billion things to mock about that entire terrible sequence, and people choose to pull a new one out their butt instead.

The "joke" (which wasn't funny, but whatever) was the fact that he was the producer of the game, and destroyed her. Then she turned around and beat him, and make a joke about how she should be producer. There is no "rape" joke going on here -- in fact, it's great there's a woman on stage who doesn't have model-good-looks and is actually participating.

In other words, stop making shit up.

The "just let it happen" is the part that people are talking about. That's actually a rape joke.

link1201

This never entered my mind during the event. Sure, it was award these things always are but a rape joke?
judgejudyrollingeyes.gif

Velorath

People are interpreting it as a rape joke because the phrase "Just let it happen" is pretty commonly used as a rape joke. A 2 second google or google image search will show you that. I'm sure its use here wasn't intended as a rape joke, but it was a very poor taste of words.

leroidys

There was a big audience reaction on the line, the only part doing the demo that there was an audible reaction. If it wasn't intended as a rape joke, that is how their live audience took it.

jWILL253

Banned
If you stretch too far, you might rip yourself apart... :p

I will say one thing, though: all of the chatter during the gameplay demos felt forced and awkward...

Batman

Banned
This is a sad world, people are always desperate to make something out of nothing. That's how miserable people are. The last thing on that man's mind was sex or rape when playing the demo and making that comment but since many people's minds are so perverted they think everything is about sex.

That poor man doesn't deserve this, and people should back off and look at their own lives.

Blasty

At this point, I think people are just going out of their way to be outraged. I just have no idea how rape is the first thing that comes to mind.

My thoughts exactly. It's similar how some people turn normal comments into sex jokes. "That's what she said" is a good example. It can get pretty annoying at times..

hawkinson

Neo Member
I cringed when I heard it, but I think it was because it was an awful presentation. I thought "wow a rape joke because he's raping the shit out of her" then realized that it was my interpretation of it and the cringing from the bad acting and not the intention so I just moved on.

Pretty sure he meant the beating will be over soon, or the combo, SINCE SHE JUST SAID SHE WAS STUCK IN ONE. It's embarrassing what lengths some people will go through to misconstrue comments and white knight

Female: I can't get out of this combo!
Male: Don't worry, it'll be over soon!
GAF: RAPE RAPE RAPERAPE!!! MALE CHAUVINISM!

Buzzman

Banned
Everyone who says this isn't a rape joke, go to Google images and tell me what results you get for "Just let it happen" I'll wait.

Sats

Banned
If you watched that part, you may have noticed it got a particularly loud laugh from the audience. It's definitely been known in the past that "rape" is used to me getting beaten badly in a game, by a lot of "gamers". (floabw)

I'm not saying the presenters thought of it as a rape joke, I'm not saying I thought of it as a rape joke, and I'm not saying it should be thought of as a rape joke. But it's possible.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't know if I would call it a rape joke but it was extremely uncomfortable and really stupid trash talk.

akaoni

Banned
I expected this to be called out and rightly so. It was just extremely poor taste, have some male trashtalking a female player as she plays the role of being terrible at games and somewhat of an airhead. Terrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom