• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sooo.. that "rape joke" during the Killer Instinct demo [Microsoft apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awkward yeah
If you saw it as a rape joke first and foremost like it was meant specifically to degrade the sole female on the show floor rather than some shitty banter that's actually quite a bit more tame than what I've personally experienced at fighting game tournaments then you're an imbecile and you're probably actively looking for things to get pissed off about in your day to day life
Flat out
I read comments on various websites about people talking about the rape joke and I was thinking "wait what?" Good to know that it's just a bunch of internet whiners taking stupid shit too seriously as usual

Huh? I don't get it. Where was the rape joke? Did I watch the right video?

Edit: Nevermind. That totally wasn't a rape joke. It's sad that I'm not at all surprised that people are saying it is. So quick to demonize anyone. I Guarantee if he was playing a guy nobody would think it was a rape joke.

marrec

Banned
Yes really. The fighting game crowd has been more accepting than ever. Various groups try to break down the mechanics of the games for newcomers, set up local gatherings, promote rival games.

The FGC may be more inclusive than ever, but it's childish and unnecessarily hostile language is still awful. Again, maybe it's time to grow up.

vazel

Banned
Are you people willfully dense or something? "Just let it happen" is pretty established as a rape joke.
It's like those people at reddit that think they have the right to make any kind of vulgar joke they like. And then when you complain they get offended that your offended because apparently it's their right to make crude jokes.

It's both sad and pathetic that this joke has become so commonplace now that many don't even realize its original connotations.

Mxrz

There are things you say to your guy friends that you do not say to your lady friends, even when trash talking. This was written by people who have no clue about fighting games, or the banter that goes on. Its a poor attempt to intimate what they believe. So meh.

Saying it isn't at all 'rape' related is bull. Examine those types of phrases and the situations we tend to use them in. When we were young and dumb, its what made it 'funny.' Now that we're older we can realize it implies some darker shit, but its so common place now we rarely think about it. Its embarrassing to be caught using them, which is why we do it online because there's always a veil of anonymity, or with our friends because we enjoy acting moronic sometimes But using them during a live press event like this is a colossal fuck up.

I don't really care where people are offended or not, but telling others they shouldn't be is pretty silly.

Snakeyes

This never entered my mind during the event. Sure, it was award these things always are but a rape joke?
judgejudyrollingeyes.gif

Tawpgun

I was in a chat during the livestream and someone said they had a rape joke at the MS conference and I thought I had missed it.

People need to caaaaalm down.

leroidys

A quick image search for "just let it happen" on Microsoft's Bing search engine has all of these within the first 15 images:

and
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=just let it happen
The end-all to any argument, dispute, declination of sexual proposition, etc. Popular among date rapists, but can be used whenever you have no response to a statement or question.

Look - I'm not saying that my interpretation is definitive, but the people outraged that anyone would take it as a rape joke and say that we are doing so just to stir up controversy need to go ly down.

Awkward yeah
If you saw it as a rape joke first and foremost rather than some shitty banter then you're a fucking imbecile and you're probably actively looking for things to get pissed off about in your day to day life
Flat out
I read comments on various websites about people talking about the rape joke and I was thinking "wait what?" Good to know that it's just a bunch of internet whiners taking stupid shit too seriously as usual

I can tell you're going to last long here.

As someone who has been subjected to this particular rape joke..IT'S A RAPE JOKE. Sorry the gaming overlords haven't evolved, but it's nothing to defend.

The "just let it happen" is the part that people are talking about. That's actually a rape joke.

When I was a kid, my grandmother taught me how swimming works by explaining that I should just relax and let the water do the work.

So what she actually meant was "Relax, and let the water rape you"
Got it, thanks guys.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
... wasn't a rape joke. It was a murder joke. And it reminded me of stereotypes about girls being bad at games, and boys being dicks to girls when try play together. But not a rape joke.

It's more like the Private Ryan scene when the one German guy slowly stabs the other guy

There are things you say to your guy friends that you do not say to your lady friends, even when trash talking. This was written by people who have no clue about fighting games, or the banter that goes on. Its a poor attempt to intimate what they believe. So meh.

Saying it isn't at all 'rape' related is bull. Examine those types of phrases and the situations we tend to use them. When we were young and dumb, its what made it 'funny.' Now that we're older we can realize it implies some darker shit, but its so common place now we rarely think about it.

I don't really care where people are offended or not, but telling others they shouldn't be is pretty silly.

Well said. I have no idea how something like this gets through rehearsals.

I'll admit that it looks like there is a subsection of the internet population that use the term "just let it happen" in relation to a rape joke as listed above in those image macro memes.

But I don't think that is is as established as "Surface of me" points out above me.

I am not sure if this is a sign to visit reddit more often or less, because the use of the phrase in the context of the conference was just stupid.

I took the phrase as an extension of "Bite the Bullet", "Shut up and Take your medicine", "Take it like a man", etc.

Brinbe

Seriously, what other situations is "Just let it happen, it'll be over soon" happen? Especially when it's a male talking to a female. Do people not see that connotation at all?

If you even fucking watched it live you heard the audience immediately react with shock to it. And for the billionth time, no one is saying it was REALLY A FUCKING RAPE JOKE. Just that it should have been avoided.

starmud

most people on twitter seemed to pick up on it fast, especially a lot of women. it wouldn't be surprising for gaf to not ... er, get it ;)

the whole gameplay bit was awful. she didn't know how to play, and then they make a "epic" video share based on that "epic" fight. awkward demo, awkward commentary.

The woman made it sound consensual so feminists can't cry "rape joke" even though that line is a meme. All of it was childish crap though. Who would even chuckle at any of that teenage crap

Buzzman

Banned
Seriously, what other situations is "Just let it happen, it'll be over soon" happen? Especially when it's male talking to a female. Do people not see that connotation at all?

If you even fucking watched it live you heard the audience immediately react with shock to it.

Nah, more of a laugh, which is depressing.

Batman

Banned
Seriously, what other situations is "Just let it happen, it'll be over soon" happen? Especially when it's a male talking to a female. Do people not see that connotation at all?

If you even fucking watched it live you heard the audience immediately react with shock to it.

So if the man said it to another man it wouldn't be a big deal then?

Morthas

Neo Member
Overreaction and Patricia Hernandez from Kotaku doesn't disappoint. I knew there would be an article about it. It's ridiculous.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75YQHFnyKY

man, who at MS could have thought this whole sequence was a good idea?!

I'm sure Patricia Hernandez/Kotaku is prepping their editorial right now.

Well, in jest during the conf I said "How long before this blows up as another case of sexism", I didn't expect anyone to run with it.

It..probably will now. I found it to be rubbish humour, but nothing offensive really.

Why does it matter if it's a female?

She was being owned at the game, he told it to just let it be that the humiliation would be over soon. That's all it was. Sheesh GAF...

itsgreen

Killing someone by beating them senseless? You know like he was doing...

Socky

Not a rape joke, but would it have killed anyone for the girl to beat the crap out of the guy? You know, just to avoid the obvious gender pitfall?

antitrop

I think this was a clear case of someone writing a line without being aware of the great memetic context of the phrase.

An accident. An unfortunate accident. I don't think it was intended as a rape joke at all, but there is definitely some ignorance in play that the words managed to be spoken on stage. Someone along the line should have realized that there was probably a better way to say the phrase with the same non-rapey intention, but without the implied connotations to rape at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75YQHFnyKY

man, who at MS could have thought this whole sequence was a good idea?!

I'm sure Patricia Hernandez/Kotaku is prepping their editorial right now.
I never heard the word rape.

People are just too sensitive.

Really though? A one hour presentation and this is what she wrote about? Not the fact that Xbone has a $500 price tag. Not the fact that MS didn't mention anything about the check in every 24 hours thing. Not the fact that they didn't mention anything about the used games or DRM situation. This is weak. Just a cheap attempt to create some controversy for hits. Kotaku is like TMZ for gamers. Shinny, shallow and entertaining.

Mudkips

Banned
It was more likely a joke about the terribly awkward, scripted demo.
If I was presenting that trash I'd welcome someone assuring me that it would be over soon.

Not a rape joke, but would it have killed anyone for the girl to beat the crap out of the guy? You know, just to avoid the obvious gender pitfall?
What does that solve, exactly? "LOL they just let the girl win."

They should have just had two competent people play the damned game for a few rounds without any trash talk.

Thebrokenleg

Neo Member
Awkward yeah
If you saw it as a rape joke first and foremost like it was meant specifically to degrade the sole female on the show floor rather than some shitty banter that's actually quite a bit more tame than what I've personally experienced at fighting game tournaments then you're an imbecile and you're probably actively looking for things to get pissed off about in your day to day life
Flat out

There is no need to make degrading insults. Calm down.

Aretak

Man, people are so ridiculous. Western society is scarily near the point of becoming a parody of itself.

Buzzman

Banned
Protip:Dogwhistling

Wikipedia said:
Dog-whistle politics is political messaging employing coded language that appears to mean one thing to the general population but has an additional, different or more specific resonance for a targeted subgroup. The phrase is only ever used as a pejorative, because of the inherently deceptive nature of the practice and because the dog-whistle messages are frequently themselves distasteful, for example by empathising with racist attitudes.

Fighting Game Community anyone?
Why the fuck do you think a lot of people in the audience laughed at that particular "joke"? Because they knew exactly what he was implying.

Schwabby

Neo Member
"Trash talk never sounds good—the things you say in the heat of the moment don't make sense and cursing is unbecoming. So the awfulness when a Killer Instinct producer and an Xbox live community manager took the stage and trash talked isn't unsurprising"

So it is surprising?

MDX

Nobody here ever heard of INNUENDO?

An innuendo is an insinuation or intimation about a person or thing, especially of a disparaging or a derogatory nature. I

It wasn't what most people call a joke, but the innuendo of rape was there.
First, you have a man vs woman set-up.
You have the man playing with the "stick".
The sexual innuendo.

It is perceived as a rape, when clearly the man is dominating the woman in the game
and he basically tells her to take it, do not fight back REGARDLESS if she is enjoying it or not.

Saving Private Ryan has the scene where the German is pushing a blade into the American soldier's heart, and he whispers to him...

Give up, you don't stand a chance! Let's end this here; it will be easier for you like this!

Rape is not about sex, its about dominance. Sex is the means during rape. This demonstration used, sexual innuendo, with dominance, in the form of beating somebody at a game, to imply the rape of the woman player.

Wazzy

Banned
I think this was a clear case of someone writing a line without being aware of the great memetic context of the phrase.

An accident. An unfortunate accident. I don't think it was intended as a rape joke at all, but there is definitely some ignorance in play that the words managed to be spoken on stage. Someone along the line should have realized that there was probably a better way to say the phrase with the same non-rapey intention, but without the implied connotations to rape at all.
This.

While not intentional, people shouldn't just hand wave others reactions because they didn't clue in on the origin of that joke.

My immediate thought upon hearing this is that it was an immature rape joke. No one is "looking too far into it". I imagine many others heard it as that at first blush as well.

Batman

Banned
Man, people are so ridiculous. Western society is scarily near the point of becoming a parody of itself.

No doubt about it, but the people who started all of this will soon realize that they made a big mistake once it hits them in the face.

The internet has created monsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom