• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider |OT| The Other Side of The Coin

I remember playing Dishonored 2 a few missions and that chaos system really ruined it for me. I know it's supersilly but i just couldn't stand that playing it the fun way led to the "bad ending".

Anyway, is this game the same?

The chaos system is gone in this one.

I remember playing Dishonored 2 a few missions and that chaos system really ruined it for me. I know it's supersilly but i just couldn't stand that playing it the fun way led to the "bad ending".

What bad ending? You defeat the evil gal, recover the throne and save your father. The end.
That's the end I had in my high chaos game.

There is no chaos system this time around

Have never really gotten that complaint tho, you could always kill a few people and only headed towards the darker path if you were killing dozens of people per level which makes sense in a game you can finish without ever touching anyone and depends on reactivity to your actions. Emily has that power where you tip people in half with tentacles, that's unnecessary!

The endings in Dishonored games reeeeeally aren't that interesting. What I like about the Chaos system is the way it affects the enemy population of levels as you get deeper into the game. I never play nonlethal or all-lethal because the game is way more fun when you mix up your tactics a lot, but I do like that the game has a form of dynamic difficulty in the sense that high chaos play results in more and more enemies in your way.

Are reviews out tomorrow along with the game or no review copies yet?

Bethesda likes to hamstring their GotY-tier releases by not letting reviewers build free excitement and advertising for their really good games that they have no confidence in. It only works in the publisher's favor if the game is bad but if the game is good like Doom, both Dishonoreds, Prey. and Wolfenstein have been then it only helps everyone for not much cost.

The chaos system works really well thematically as a way to resolve ludonarrative dissonance. Think about it this way. Things would get undoubtedly shittier if your empress clawed her way back to the throne on the corpses of her former and future subjects as well as with the public use of powers granted by a forbidden dark god. Same way in the first game if a rebel group publicly assassinated several leading members of society to plant a child on the throne using a skull-masked assassin wielding dark powers granted by the god of a taboo at best religion. I don't see the endings in good or bad terms. They are just the logical conclusions of your actions and it's fun to see how it plays out. Bad is just as good as good!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Arkane is seriously just fucking killing it lately. Their old games were good but everything from Dishonored on up has just been amazing. Like, there wasn't even any hesitation in buying this DLC, even if it's literally the worst thing they've made in a decade I know it's still going to rule.... haha

The level design in Dishonored 2 and Prey is so absolutely mind blowingly clever that I can't even really get my head around it in a single playthrough. When I played the Clockwork Mansion for the first time I was like.... "cool, but kind of a gimmick" then I went back again and again over the past year and really saw how everything physically connected. Shit is just genius.

Prey, I have only played once. Looking forward to revisiting that probably this winter.

It's the same with me. If I see Arkane, it's an immediate buy. The only other developer that has my loyalty like this is Atlus. Though that's cooled down a bit.

You guys said it. My backlogs pretty deep but I have to support this day 1. Arkane may not put out mega blockbusters but what they do put out speaks to me, the freedom in approaching the genius level design speaks to me.

You know what, screw the backlog, I'll pick this up along with Metroid tomorrow. Arkane is day 1 tier. I still feel bad about buying Prey used so Ill make up for it here.

Staf

The chaos system works really well thematically as a way to resolve ludonarrative dissonance. Think about it this way. Things would get undoubtedly shittier if your empress clawed her way back to the throne on the corpses of her former and future subjects as well as with the public use of powers granted by a forbidden dark god. Same way in the first game if a rebel group publicly assassinated several leading members of society to plant a child on the throne using a skull-masked assassin wielding dark powers granted by the god of a taboo at best religion. I don't see the endings in good or bad terms. They are just the logical conclusions of your actions and it's fun to see how it plays out. Bad is just as good as good!

I totally get that. And i totally get why people like the system. But i hate it because it makes me feel like i have to choose between 'fun gameplay' and 'a satisfying story with a good ending'. And in a situation like that i always go with the latter because for me story>gameplay most of the times. And that made me quit the game quite early on, got loads of other games to play.

But like i said, i totally get why people like that system and i'm happy people have a game for that.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I totally get that. And i totally get why people like the system. But i hate it because it makes me feel like i have to choose between 'fun gameplay' and 'a satisfying story with a good ending'. And in a situation like that i always go with the latter because for me story>gameplay most of the times. And that made me quit the game quite early on, got loads of other games to play.

But like i said, i totally get why people like that system and i'm happy people have a game for that.

So why not play it two ways? My first run through of Dishonored games is usually full-bore lethal, because I find that playstyle more fun. I will murder anything that moves and get the high chaos "bad" ending. Then I'll replay the game non-lethally, at which point I know the level layouts and where the objectives are, making a non-lethal run pretty easy. This way I get both the fun gameplay and the good ending.

Then I just do a bunch of replays to get achievements and various challenges.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If you can put up with Dishonored, you can put up with Prey.

I don't "put up" with Dishonored, I love it! :D

It's very good.

Really good level design, music, and atmosphere. I'd say the combat/movement isn't as delightful as the Dishonored series (and it's not a stealth game) but there's a similar emphasis on story being told through level design and environmental queues and the ability to combine powers and other systems to overcome challenges. It feels way more like System shock 2 than Bioshock ever did to me.

If we say Dishonored is a stealth game, where does Prey fall...?

Its freaking amazing. The sense of mystery and discovery is unrivaled. As mentioned the combat is the only weakpoint. Id compare it to Bioshock x Dead Space so if you like either of those you'll love this.

A lot of mind blowing plot twists too. The game is just a joy to explore. If you like the Dishonored games you cant go wrong with Prey.

Sweet. Really loved Bioshock, so that may push me over the edge.

I mean you can go on a murder spree, just make sure you aren't killing innocent people. That's what the heart is for.

Stoze

That may have been true with the first, but with Dishonored 2 non-lethal route basically has an alternate version of everything that lethal has and is really fun to play. Not only that, but low chaos is incredibly lenient - I think I killed something like 40 people in my D2 run and was still low chaos the entire time.

tootie923

I'll eventually get this, but it's not high on my list right now. Maybe at the end of the year. I still haven't done a stealth/low chaos playthrough or a Corvo run in Dishonored 2.

rtcn63

Sweet. Really loved Bioshock, so that may push me over the edge.

Like Dishonored, you can choose to play offensive/stealth/etc. Mostly at your own choosing and mostly viable IIRC.

As for Bioshock... even though it's more archaic mechanically in a lot of ways, I thought it was more memorable than Prey by far. The areas and enemies in Prey tend to bleed together even more so. Didn't care for the story or characters or setting really, although there is a "real life people" quality to the notes and logs scattered about. Which mean nothing to me personally. But an okay play overall.

Yes I'm aware I used "more" too much.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Like Dishonored, you can choose to play offensive/stealth/etc. Mostly at your own choosing and mostly viable IIRC.

As for Bioshock... even though it's more archaic mechanically in a lot of ways, I thought it was more memorable than Prey by far. The areas and enemies in Prey tend to bleed together even more so. Didn't care for the story or characters or setting really, although there is a "real life people" quality to the notes and logs scattered about. Which mean nothing to me personally. But an okay play overall.

Yes I'm aware I used "more" too much.

Thanks for the write up.

Are you just basing this "good"/"bad" thing off of what people say? Because that isn't the way the game presents it. The endings are high and low chaos. There is no "bad" ending in either game.

Further, in DH2, they introduced a mechanic where you can use the heart to determine someone's disposition. If they are evil then killing them results in a very minimal increase in Chaos.

pahamrick

Steam.... plz.... let us rename games:

CPMntFS.png

This R and TM mania is too much.

Too much!

Using SteamEdit helps take care of that.

http://steamedit.tg-software.com/

You can either edit the name directly, or edit the Sort-By name.

qVRAssg.png

It'll save your edits in the SteamEdit directory, because you'll need to re-apply them every so often.

CHC

There is no chaos system this time around

Have never really gotten that complaint tho, you could always kill a few people and only headed towards the darker path if you were killing dozens of people per level which makes sense in a game you can finish without ever touching anyone and depends on reactivity to your actions. Emily has that power where you tip people in half with tentacles, that's unnecessary!

It's always been THE most ridiculous complaint levelled at Dishonored, bar none. First of all, the threshold is very high. You can kill quite a few people before you trip into high chaos territory.

Second, it doesn't change things that much. A few more enemies, rats, flies, and general bloodshed.

Lastly, why not play more with the tools? Simply killing everyone is boring and easy. Play around - it's where these games shine.

BashNasty

Any idea of how many distinct levels in this one?

Dishonored 2 had
9 total
and they were all amazingly designed sandboxes. If this expansion has four or five excellently designed levels, I'll be happy.

Audioserf

I wonder if there will be any confirmation about which character choice is considered canon in D2.

I'm bummed out that Meagan/Billie canon isn't from the timeline where you save Stilton in Crack in the Slab.

Edit:....waaaaait fucking minute. I think it pulls from your Dishonored 2 save...

got my self a copy arriving tomorrow to play this weekend, Dishonored 2 was one of my favourite games of last year so as long as this is essentially just more of the same I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love this

Iscariot

That wouldn't make much sense.

I forgot my /s

Honestly, I thought the high chaos ending was the better, as in more interesting, for the first game. It also promoted multiple play throughs.

More in line with System Shock 2 or Bioshock. You might get sneaky or cause distractions in specific rooms, but it's not ghostable. It also feels closer to an RPG than Dishonored. It has an inventory system and a variety of upgrade stats for weapons. Dishonored might give your arc mines one more target to chain to for example, but it's slightly more fiddly in Prey. Guns might be a little more mushy till you pop a few upgrades into them.

SomTervo

It was all but gone in DH2 and gone entirely in this one.

FYI in Dishonored 2 it was possible to play highly aggressive (fights, constantly alerted, etc) but actually not kill anyone. They added the ability to KO from killshots and KO thrown or stunned enemies. You could actually constantly get spotted and all beat everyone in combat without any kills.

CHC

So is this like... secretly reading my Dishonored 2 file?

I've just begun and Billie has
her arm
and there's a photo
of her with Stilton
. Those were things I accomplished in my last D2 playthrough.... Also, there are references to the events of D2 happening because of Emily, not Corvo. I played as Emily for that run.

Maybe it will be explained in time, but I'm.... intrigued.

Is it spelled that way in the game? Because its Whale.

I thought it was The Dreadful Wail - but I thought wrong.

It's Wale, guys.

Just beat Dishonored 2 low chaos. Now I'm ready. Wish I went Emily because that story doesn't fit Corvo.

Anyway ready for tomorrow.

deadfolk

So is this like... secretly reading my Dishonored 2 file?

I've just begun and Billie has
her arm
and there's a photo
of her with Stilton
. Those were things I accomplished in my last D2 playthrough.... Also, there are references to the events of D2 happening because of Emily, not Corvo. I played as Emily for that run.

I dunno about the rest of it, but I'm sure I read somewhere that your first spoiler was canon.

Top Bottom