• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider |OT| The Other Side of The Coin

deadfolk

Will be interested to see if it really does pull your D2 save file, because I was planning to move from PS4 to PC for this, but I won't if it is.

Mifec

So is this like... secretly reading my Dishonored 2 file?

I've just begun and Billie has
her arm
and there's a photo
of her with Stilton
. Those were things I accomplished in my last D2 playthrough.... Also, there are references to the events of D2 happening because of Emily, not Corvo. I played as Emily for that run.

Now I don't wanna start playing before I know how this works. I have to dl Dishonored 2 for my saves anyway.

CHC

Just beat Dishonored 2 low chaos. Now I'm ready. Wish I went Emily because that story doesn't fit Corvo.

Anyway ready for tomorrow.

I think in some interview the developers mentioned that Emily was basically the canon story, and that Corvo was added for the existing fans.

The game doesn't vary much based on who you choose, but it was interesting tidbit.

Mifec

I think in some interview the developers mentioned that Emily was basically the canon story, and that Corvo was added for the existing fans.

The game doesn't vary much based on who you choose, but it was interesting tidbit.

They said that they only wanted to have Emily but added Corvo for the old fans.

CHC

Man I don't wanna play through D2 again to make a save file.

Now I don't wanna start playing before I know how this works. I have to dl Dishonored 2 for my saves anyway.

I'm really not sure how it works, so I don't want to spread FUD about it. It's just that the way the DLC begins is strikingly similar to my last D2 playthrough. It could obviously be a coincidence, but everything I did in the main game was reflected in the first DLC level.

Mifec

I'm really not sure how it works, so I don't want to spread FUD about it. It's just that the way the DLC begins is strikingly similar to my last D2 playthrough. It could obviously be a coincidence, but everything I did in the main game was reflected in the first DLC level.

I started to check without a save on my PC and
she has her arm and her eye and says how she has nightmares about them being cut. Article about Emily on the wall in front of her desk.

FiveSide

Banned
Super excited for this, and I hope it does well commercially.

I like that these AAA publishers are experimenting with "budget-AAA" releases, like Uncharted: Lost Legacy and now this one. Plus there was Hellblade a month or two ago, which approached the format from the other direction (bringing an indie up to AAA-presentation rather than shrinking AAA down to indie-size).

If these games do well then hopefully we'll have more games in this format. Personally I love paying half-price for a AAA experience shrunk down to indie-sized length.

madjoki

I started to check without a save on my PC and
she has her arm and her eye and says how she has nightmares about them being cut. Article about Emily on the wall in front of her desk.

It definitely does not read Dishonored 2 save games. (Used process monitor to check).

d00d3n

Will be interested to see if it really does pull your D2 save file, because I was planning to move from PS4 to PC for this, but I won't if it is.

I don't know what this says (if anything at all), but there is an option "original game+" when you start a new game in the dlc. The option is greyed out for me despite having a completionist "perfect save" in Dishonored 2 (both are Steam versions).

Picture:
20170915015902_1odoj7.jpg

Hale-XF11

Gonna be a looooong day at work tomorrow, just waiting to play this. Hoping that my local Walmart will have physical copies ready to go, so I can pick it up on my way home.

madjoki

I don't know what this says (if anything at all), but there is an option "original game+" when you start a new game in the dlc. The option is greyed out for me despite having a completionist "perfect save" in Dishonored 2 (both are Steam versions).

Picture:

I think it's just new game+, with skills from Dishonored 2.

Anno

Picture:

For some reason I thought this was supposed to be called Old Game+, which I would find more funny than it should be.

comrade

Yeah, I used Korea and it worked fine. I'm playing in offline mode as we speak.

Thanks for the reply I'll give it another try.

Edit: Strange I'm connected to Korea and when I check the store page it says available in 2 hours. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Edit2: Got it to work with Austria.

GavinUK86

So far so good on PC. Couple points:

1 - It does not read any save files. Low Chaos + saving everyone you can has always been Arkane's default canon, if they have to choose one.

2 - Still roaming around the first area on the first mission but it runs really well on a GTX 970 while Dishonored 2 always ran like crap, even on the lowest setting.

The areas here seem way smaller but with more depth to them so I can only presume that's why performance is much better.

If the game opens up later though, it could be the same as Dishonored 2. Have to wait and see but fingers crossed.

Djostikk

Can't wait to finally get my hands on it. I need some rest from lots of Destiny 2 this month. Damn I love immersive sims.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well if the first mission is anything to go by, this game is going to be quite good! Really glad they got rid of the chaos system. It definitely feels freeing in terms of doing a mixture of non-lethal and lethal approaches.

I'm playing on Hard this time since the original Dishonored 2 was a bit too easy on the standard difficulty.

thenexus6

On the second mission, great so far. I really really love the Dishonored world / aesthetic. Super happy to be back.

Edit: Spent literally three hours in the second mission and made zero progress. Just exploring and trial / erroring my way through. (God bless quick save)

So far so good on PC. Couple points:
1 - It does not read any save files. Low Chaos + saving everyone you can has always been Arkane's default canon, if they have to choose one.
2 - Still roaming around the first area on the first mission but it runs really well on a GTX 970 while Dishonored 2 always ran like crap, even on the lowest setting.
The areas here seem way smaller but with more depth to them so I can only presume that's why performance is much better.
If the game opens up later though, it could be the same as Dishonored 2. Have to wait and see but fingers crossed.

since she's missing the eye and arm, that's.... clearly not the case >_>
eh nvm

CHC

Not the biggest fan of the first mission (after the prologue one, that is) so far.

It feels wide but not very deep, if that makes any sense?

I mean, it's still good, it's just not quite the usual level of detail I expect from Dishonored.

Looking forward to more impressions. I'm picking this up today, but probably won't get to it until next week or so.

Very excited for a bite sized Dishonored adventure though. I'm curious about length.

Stranya

The first 80% of Prey is fantastic.
I enjoyed everything in Prey apart from the bloody load times between areas. My heart sank when I realized that I needed to get to the other end of the station for whatever reason.

On topic, I hope this is good. Is the input lag on PS4 any better than in the main game? That was in the cusp of playability, for me.

The Dishonored series is my top new IP from the last 5 years. I might even say top 5 from the last 10 years along side IPs like the Last of Us, or RDR if that counts (given that RDR was really a fairly different game than Red Dead Revolver).

Arkane is just so good. The lore they pack their worlds with is great. The imaginitive gameplay is so unique. Their game worlds are great, characters are interesting.

It's amazing how much Dishonored 1 got right, as well. In an age when the second game always feels like it "should have been the first" and makes the first feel like a tech demo (Assassins Creed, Titanfall, Uncharted, etc), Dishonored 1 just got so much right. I only played Dishonored 1 once and then went back years later after playing the hell out of Dishonored 2 expecting it to be a lot worse than I remembered, but it wasn't... Aside from some things that were a little rough around the edges, and some levels that weren't paced evenly (especially towards the end), I was so surprised how well it all still played and how unique each level felt.

Dishonored 2, IMO, was a masterpiece. The first time playing the Adermire institute level I was afraid with my heart pumping. The first time in the clockwork mansion my mind was bending around those puzzles. First time in A Crack in the Slab I was just sitting in my chair with a huge smile on my face because when I didn't think the game could get any more clever, it just did. And then replaying all of those missions using Stealth / Ghost / No Kill / High Kill / etc, just made them so much different. Playing through a lot of levels 3 or 4 times I found things that I never saw the first 2 or 3 times, ways in our out of a room. Just a brilliant game.

I'm really excited for Death of the Outsider, though sad that it's also "the end" of this Dishonored saga/trilogy. It sounds like Arkane doesn't quite know if they're going to revisit the series, but I hope they do. Although they seem firm on the idea that this is the last Dishonored set around this period -- the rat plague, assassination of the Empress, bloodfly epidemic -- and that if they do come back to the continent, it'll be at a different time with a different story. I'm okay with that because the lore is so rich that they have a lot they can expand on.

(reposted what I wrote in the Dishonored thread from a couple days ago. also subbed, nice OP)

--

Just plugged in my code, excited to play it tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance.

Excited for this OT as well. Dishonored is my favorite 'new' series.

I don't recall hearing this before "It's no surprise that Death of the Outsider, supposedly the last chapter in Dishonored's story, is focused on The Outsider."

Did D2 bomb that hard?

It didn't bomb, but it's the last chapter of the Assassination of the Empress / Rat Plague / Bloodfly saga that started with Dishonored 1 and is now considered wrapped up at the end of this game. In interviews, the developers/designers have said that they'd love to make new storylines in this universe, but it won't be in this saga anymore. Think of it like how the Elder Scrolls games are all on the same continent and the same world but take place centuries and centuries apart, with some tie ins back and forth but the most part completely distinct stories.

I think Bethesda will finance new Dishonored games, though maybe not for several years. It's a great series and I don't think the mediocre sales would disuade them. Not many new IPs really do gangbusters without selling out the consumer (like Destiny for instance which has likely made a fortune but only through shitty loot crates, skins, etc).

Picture:

I think the New Game+ only refers to DIshonored: Death of the Outsider, which the developers said after beating the game you'll unlock a new game+ that has all of Emily and Corvo's powers to choose from. I don't think DotO world changes based on what you did in Dishonored 1 or 2. Arkane has a 'cannon' for the game and while players can do whatever they want in it, the canon follows Emily's play through, and sort of presumes you did the right thing, getting the good ending with Billie Lurk.

The coin from contracts is automatically given to you at the end of the mission? Or do I need to pick it up in between on the Wale?

Anung

Un Rama
Got my copy today!

Time to spend all my game time refusing to kill the Outsider. They can't make me do it.

BashNasty

This will be the first time I go on a murderous rampage on the first play through of a Dishonored game. Can't wait!

Enjoy, my friend. Killing everything in sight is absolutely the correct way to play the Dishonored games. Guards, random civilians, bad dudes, it doesn't matter who they are, they're gonna get killed in some strange, creative way.

Finished the first mission last night and I'm really enjoying it so far. The mission was pretty short, but it felt like a Dishonored level. Dishonored 2 was one of my favorite games last year, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the DLC stacks up.

Enjoy, my friend. Killing everything in sight is absolutely the correct way to play the Dishonored games. Guards, random civilians, bad dudes, it doesn't matter who they are, they're gonna get killed in some strange, creative way.

Ive had a rough go with Dishonored games. Ive always recognized the quality but the urge to go non lethal has always made for some frustrating stop and go/reload old save gameplay for me.

Im currently doing my 2nd playthrough D2 with Emily and going full lethal....its so much more fun.

Really enjoying this so far. Not having to worry about the chaos system makes the gameplay feel much so much freer and more satisfying, and Billie seems like a good character so far. I didn't realize how much more fun the lethal (but still stealthy when possible) approach could be.

BashNasty

Ive had a rough go with Dishonored games. Ive always recognized the quality but the urge to go non lethal has always made for some frustrating stop and go/reload old save gameplay for me.

Im currently doing my 2nd playthrough D2 with Emily and going full lethal....its so much more fun.

Judging by the posts on this forum, it seems like you're not alone with the urge to play nice. I guess I'm lucky in that I've never had a problem being a murderous bastard in games. I think of myself as a pretty nice guy in real life, so being a real not-nice guy in video games has always been a lot of fun for me. I actually really enjoy the dissonance that it can bring too, like, "This guy just murdered 40 innocent people... why the hell does no one seem to really care?"

It's how I made the new Hitman really fun for myself, too. At first I was sort of trying to play stealthy and get to the objectives real quiet-like... until something clicked in my brain and I realized that throwing a grenade into one of those big crowds would be a whole lot more fun.

Top Bottom