• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Persona 5 Anthology Chapter 2

145Hk4u.png

wWLpcK6.png

Makoto is scary.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dissolving Classroom - fin.

A pair of creepy siblings, the devil, and a few hundred victims who disintegrated from the unholy power of apology. It's a Junji Ito ass Junji Ito book alright. It's pretty solid, too. While maybe not as visually wild as some of his older material, there's still some fun gross imagery, and there's a lot of dark humor, particularly from the cartoony brother and sister. He, Yuuma, spends almost the entire volume saying sorry - which melts people's brains because of Satan - and she, Chizumi, is a cackling little demon who runs around scaring people and then slurps them up once big brother has turned them into goop. There's even a 'Chizumi in Love' chapter, which is every bit as silly as I could have asked for. The page where she enters the room of her (kidnapped) love interest and you get to see a closeup of her new makeup gave me a good laugh.

Not really sure where I'd rank DC compared to his other stuff, but I enjoyed it. The two bonus short stories that follow after the siblings' arc were pretty underwhelming, however.

Prison School ch. 251

You know, maybe Dickyoshi should've hung himself after all.

Madoka Magica - Anta Nanka Daikirai (SFW doujin)

Homura and Sayaka being friendly towards each-other is one of the signs of the apocal-

Never mind, we're done with signs and're heading straight to fully fledged armageddon. Shame, since I would've really liked Madoka to see their karaoke duet before the world ends. Think I said before that I tend to appreciate Maitake works more when they're post-Rebellion and have a serious element, but this was basically aimless (pre-Akuma) comedy throughout and it was still glorious, so idk.

The Little Match Girl 10

Huh, so inanimate objects are capable of making wishes. I'm not convinced that polygamy is the solution to losing your loved one, but then I'm not really qualified to talk about boulders' moral codes.

Zweizer

Banned
I wonder if charizards eat piplups

And then they call me lewd.

https://twitter.com/swimmer1783/status/855804846003310592
https://twitter.com/MACAO1423/status/856459463246491652

RIP Criminale + fuck everything. The artist's been suffering health problems, though one of their twitter posts suggests there's a simpler reason for it ending. Leaves a bunch of questions unanswered, but Harukana's arc was the climax so I'll take it as canon that she eventually hooks up with the MC.

Damn, what a bummer. 2017 has been pretty rough.

upandaway

Helck 56-62

Please don't ship Hyura and Edil. I'm not ready for that. Please.

Also the Asuta side is so freaking intense right now. No clue where that's gonna go.

Boogiepop

So, I've made great strides in reading through Ippo, but holy crap is there ever a lot left. Still, I'll keep on chugging through it, bit by bit.

Anyway, what I wanted to complain about: the covers for the tankobon. Like, it makes sense that a LOT of the covers are Ippo in some sort of fighting pose, and I get that. But man, Morikawa is leaning WAY too heavily on those generic covers. The two volumes I just read had those sorts of covers... and they were pretty much entirely focused on Aoki's title match. Ippo did pretty much NOTHING except a little bit of commenting in the first one, and even if he did get a little focus in the second... he didn't even so much as put on a damn pair of boxing gloves. Like, the covers straight up have NOTHING to do with the contents of the volumes. It's like, does Morikawa just have a stash of generic Ippo covers that he throws at 95% of the volumes randomly or something? (At least a few actually are obviously relating specifically to the contents of a volume, but... they're pretty rare).

So yeah, weird random rant about a little inconsequential thing, but it's kind of been bugging me a bit as I've been going along.

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo ch144

Only way to solve this is to bet their sisterhood on a race.

Prison School ch251

Aw, poor Hana. Kiyoshi is so insensitive.

The Little Match Girl ch10

Nature is wonderful.

Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan ch15+16.5

Simple foods are the best. I had no idea ice cream was this easy to make though.

This is a food manga.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch100

It's one thing after another, huh.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Berserk My manga reading time has become slim as of late so I've been missing updates but boy oh boy I am glad I didn't miss this. I've got to mirror everyone's sentiments that this is nice, tough it feels like a bit of dark foreshadowing. Side Note: This is going to be a long journey through the wastelands. It's also important to note they seem to have been doing this the entire time (As is why Casca is already a bit built) and they haven't gotten very far. BUT it does mean that one day, in theory, Casca was going to get better by herself and that makes me feel all sorts of good about the world. Words I did not think I would say about Berserk....

Anyway I tend to browse random chapters of manga incase they ever turn interesting and I saw that in the latest Fire Brigade of Flame a character
used a bit of what I assume was railroad track, stuck it in the ground, used it as a ladder, climbed up, and elbow dropped the enemy like this was some pro-wrestling shit!
I might pick this back up.

last five or so chapters of Prison School This was an emotional rollercoaster I was not prepared for.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Finished persona 5! Time to go back to manga reading
If You're Gonna Dress Up, Do It Like This 1-3
The main character is your regular office worker with zero fashion sense. After gotten himself embarassed after school reunion, he decide to take care of himself and started getting fashionable with the help of his sister.

Featuring some fashion tips that you probably could get from fashion magazine, but hey, this one is in manga form.

Parallel paradise 1-5

uvita-waterfall.jpg

Zweizer

Banned
Akagi ch296 (End)

It's finally over. Lasting almost 20 years for what started off as a kind of spin-off is pretty crazy. I wouldn't put it past Fukumoto that he'd create another work starring Akagi sometime in the future, but in the while, it ended on a pretty good note, giving an almost wistful feel that this epic match is finally over.

Seiryoden

Akagi ch296 (End)

It's finally over. Lasting almost 20 years for what started off as a kind of spin-off is pretty crazy. I wouldn't put it past Fukumoto that he'd create another work starring Akagi sometime in the future, but in the while, it ended on a pretty good note, giving an almost wistful feel that this epic match is finally over.

Is this really, really, REALLY the end!?

Lol. What a ride it's been. I love this manga so much.

Fancolors

Trail of Blood 5

So something happened, we just need to wait another chapter to find out what. It's probably the mother's facial expression

Finished Persona 5, I am not a slave anymore. Tae da best. Back to manga. Also Ni-oh is gud.

Yotsuba 96

Yotsuba might not survive this trip to Tokyo.

Kaguya 62

Man Prez is on a roll. What an artist.

Helck 92-93

Now thats an JRPG final boss. Full of their finest bullshit.

That Skull Knight quote reminded me that something still has to set Gutts on a collision course with Griffith. It might just be Casca. Maybe she wants revenge for their friends or maybe something darker happens...

I was thinking about this when watching the last nights new Berserk episode when Guts pulls out the behelit. I am thinking casca is the one that ends up using it.

Nanashi no Asterism 19
Yeah, pretty much. It's difficult to maintain any sympathy for Kotooka when she's self-destructing so spectacularly. I have a hunch that this final volume is going to leave me feeling irritated rather than anything else.

Zweizer

Banned
Nanashi no Asterism ch19

And we're off to a rough start with the last volume. I have no idea how everything will possibly get wrapped up in a satisfactory conclusion, but I'll be riding this train to the bitter end.

Somali to Mori no Kami-sama ch11

Damn, these humans were pretty heartless.

Attack on Titan ch93

The notion that titans are now obsolete is pretty funny.

upandaway

Helck 66

Is edil gone? Dang. Not gonna lie I'm still sort of holding out for the main gang reverting but it's increasingly looking more and more impossible. Man that sucks. That sucks a lot. Doesn't seem like Asuta's situation is any better either, and even Azudora... man that sucks.

The carrot they put with Edil waking up and they burned the whole thing down just like that. This manga doesn't let anything slip.

JulianImp

Helck 40-50
God damn. That scene where nice guy Helck really lost his cool made one hell of an impact on me with how the art and even the font changed to reflect his mind state at the time. I'll probably have to go find a translated version to get the specifics of the whole human->hero thing, though.

Seriously, this series has gone quite a long way since the early chapters where it looked more like a gag manga about an OP character in a fantasy world. Anime adaptation when?

upandaway

Helck 40-50
God damn. That scene where nice guy Helck really lost his cool made one hell of an impact on me with how the art and even the font changed to reflect his mind state at the time. I'll probably have to go find a translated version to get the specifics of the whole human->hero thing, though.

Seriously, this series has gone quite a long way since the early chapters where it looked more like a gag manga about an OP character in a fantasy world. Anime adaptation when?
Some of those full page shots are crazy, especially the art. They pop up out of nowhere too.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I feel like Helk(along with Mob Psycho) is one of those moments where the art starts off shitty, but as the artist continues to draw(or maybe they tried really hard later on to get good?) the art improves exponentially.

upandaway

I'm not sure whether it's because of constantly drawing or because of actually trying to get better, there's a lot of manga where the art improves so much but then there's also stuff like Hayate

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Beastar vol.1 ->oni recommendation
Man, this is good. The art take a while to get used too, but damn, the paneling and writing is great. The backstory was clear enough, and there's enough depth in Legosi to make us interested in him. So yeah, good stuff.

Akagi Washizu arc end

That timeline at the beginning... even the editor was like, 'damn, it really end!?'
but yes, 19 years of washizu mahjong shit is ridiculous. Nothing will ever top this.

Kaguya 62

Wait a minute, prez is actually good at art!? though this is gonna be one of those project F training arc.

Welcome to the ballroom volume 3

Start the music! My body wants to heat up! I have to dance!

GOD! This volume...was wayyyyyy to good!! The level of energy I could feel from Tatara and Mako-chan's dance was insane. The concept of frame and flower was not something I thought would be anything more then a concept, but man did the imagery makes this dance absolutely amazing! Gaju gettin recked like he deserve...Mako was too good for him.

Top Bottom