• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Line of Duty is fucking good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bet he's not a lawyer. Bet he's on the same investigation team as DCI Huntley.
I think it is someone who knew Arnott was going to the building looking for Roz's husband, someone who also knew the husband was under suspicion, because this is the perfect way of implicating him for
Arnott's murder/ attempted murder

Got to be somebody in the investigation

Humidex

I think it is someone who knew Arnott was going to the building looking for Roz's husband, someone who also knew the husband was under suspicion, because this is the perfect way of implicating him for
Arnott's murder/ attempted murder

Got to be somebody in the investigation

Neil Twyler?

jesu

Jeez that was good.
This is the first series of Line Of Duty I've watched.
It's been great so far, think I'll buy the 1-3 DVDs

satriales

Jeez that was good.
This is the first series of Line Of Duty I've watched.
It's been great so far, think I'll buy the 1-3 DVDs

Every series is really good so you won't regret it. First two series are on UK Netflix but series 3 is only on DVD as far as I can tell.

After having slept on it, while I'm sure the Balaclava Man is not the husband, if he isn't it begs the question of why he didn't check to see if
Steve
was dead and why he didn't take his phone etc. Seems like a pointless endeavor.

That ending was weird.

Balaclava man can't be the husband, since there's no point in him killing Steve in his own office.
But by the same reasoning, it can't be anyone else because how/why could the actual balaclava man be in the building, which is secured by locks and a security guard.

I'm also confused by the idea that Steve's cop buddies jumped to the conclusion that, "Oh we found the husband's car, we should warn Steve that he might be balaclava man".
You'd think they'd just assume that "the woman we are investigating for hiding her movements that night was actually driving her husband's car".

That ending was weird.

Balaclava man can't be the husband, since there's no point in him killing Steve in his own office.
But by the same reasoning, it can't be anyone else because how/why could the actual balaclava man be in the building, which is secured by locks and a security guard.

I'm also confused by the idea that Steve's cop buddies jumped to the conclusion that, "Oh we found the husband's car, we should warn Steve that he might be balaclava man".
You'd think they'd just assume that "the woman we are investigating for hiding her movements that night was actually driving her husband's car".

Tbf they were already suspicious of him because he had no alibi for the night and was not at home.

TV listings for next week's episode has
Roz's husband is taken in for questioning over Steve's attack, he denies involvement but start's growing suspicious of Roz

To me, it implies
Steve isn't dead afterall?

Also it makes me think
the husband really isn't involved

That ending was weird.

Yeah Balaclava Man was either in the building before Steve got there and knows of the phone call with Ros' husband or he followed Steve into the building. If he followed Steve into the building though presumably he had to run up like three flights of stairs to beat the lift. Plus the security guard isn't letting anyone in who an employee or isn't police.

TV listings for next week's episode has
Roz's husband is taken in for questioning over Steve's attack, he denies involvement but start's growing suspicious of Roz

To me, it implies
Steve isn't dead afterall?

Also it makes me think
the husband really isn't involved

Hmm. Jed Mercurio did say the move to BBC1 was forcing him to tone down the consequences of violence a bit, but anything short of
Steve being paralyzed/crippled would be a minor miracle
, I wonder if that sort of thing is maybe what he was hinting at. Or it's all smoke and mirrors to get us excited.

I did have one theory that there could be multiple Balaclava Men and it's actually a method of anonymity for a sex trafficking ring, but it wouldn't really make much sense....roll on next week.

I bought the series 1-3 box set a while back, so worth it.

Keeley Hawes as Lindsay Denton is impeccable.

Yeah, she elevated this crazy show to something remarkable. There is still plenty of fun to be had when Hastings is grilling someone to ashes or the newest PLOT TWIST but it's just not the same.

On a side note, Hana's thick Dutch accent bugs the hell out of me.

Probably the best meat and potatoes cop show I've seen a very very long time, if not ever. Yeah, there are some other greats like Homocide, but this is more of a thriller and far more twisty and turny.

If you want the surprises, tension, twists and turns, this show as a cop show, cannot be beaten.

It's essentially the Game of Thrones of cop shows. Always trying to overturn conventions with surprises, setting up characters as one way, only to subvert it completely.

S3 finale is so damned baller. Nice and lean too, this show. It's an almost perfect show.

Speculation-

1. Steve is still alive.
2. Huntley's husband isn't Balaclava Man. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, it just doesn't make sense to try and murder a cop in your office who doesn't have any evidence against you.

Speculation-

1. Steve is still alive.
2. Huntley's husband isn't Balaclava Man. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, it just doesn't make sense to try and murder a cop in your office who doesn't have any evidence against you.

I think balaclava man is the guy in the forensic evidence room, kinda big buy with blue eyes, the one who Roz swizzed into leaving while she swapped evidence.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
They were filming this outside my house a while back, and also near where I live, I got to meet Thandie Newton. Is it a good show then? I'll have to check it out.

Before the final scene last week happened, I was hoping that Michael Farmer would turn out to be Balaclava Man and Tim Ifield was just really bad at his job.

They were filming this outside my house a while back, and also near where I live, I got to meet Thandie Newton. Is it a good show then? I'll have to check it out.

It's a great show.

Hilton is balaclava dude and has been covering up involvement in a prostitution ring. There'll be something linking him to the victims at that hotel

Oh god I just realised it was
Maneet who was leaking stuff to Hilton/Huntley about AC 12
arghhhhh

But whyyyyyyyyyyy?? :p

I like Maneet (didn't she only come into it last Season or was it Season 2? or 1?) but what is she handing off to the ACC at the end that makes her look so...troubled. Also feel like considering earlier in the season, the ACC was just as quick to drop Huntley in the thick of it "I've stuck my neck out for you / what are friends for" etc, he could do the same now.

Huntley has points about Hastings, and she is pretty rightly aggrieved(to put it mildly) at the sexism shown towards her throughout her career but unless Michael Farmer really is a Balaclava Man...how, professionally, is she supposed to look herself in the mirror after all this? Lawd, it's quite confusing.

Also mildly peeved we basically got nothing about who was the Balaclava Man at the end of the last episode, but hey. 2 Eps left.

Edit: @Billy_Pilgrim

I did wonder if there was a prositution/sex trafficking ring that Huntley's Husband and others were involved in and Balaclava Man was like a form of anonymity for members...guess we'll find out. Hope Maneet is not somehow involved. She deserves nice, happy things.

Hilton is balaclava dude and has been covering up involvement in a prostitution ring. There'll be something linking him to the victims at that hotel

Interesting.
Someone on DS forum also pointed out that a phone number on Nick's phone (when he rang his lawyer) is the same number that Hilton gave to Huntley, so why would Nick also have Hilton's number? If true, Hilton is looking like a big suspect.

But whyyyyyyyyyyy?? :p

I like Maneet (didn't she only come into it last Season or was it Season 2? or 1?) but what is she handing off to the ACC at the end that makes her look so...troubled. Also feel like considering earlier in the season, the ACC was just as quick to drop Huntley in the thick of it "I've stuck my neck out for you / what are friends for" etc, he could do the same now.

Huntley has points about Hastings, and she is pretty rightly aggrieved(to put it mildly) at the sexism shown towards her throughout her career but unless Michael Farmer really is a Balaclava Man...how, professionally, is she supposed to look herself in the mirror after all this? Lawd, it's quite confusing.

Also mildly peeved we basically got nothing about who was the Balaclava Man at the end of the last episode, but hey. 2 Eps left.

Edit: @Billy_Pilgrim

I did wonder if there was a prositution/sex trafficking ring that Huntley's Husband and others were involved in and Balaclava Man was like a form of anonymity for members...guess we'll find out. Hope Maneet is not somehow involved. She deserves nice, happy things.

I think Kate will figure out about
Maneet
pretty quickly, Huntley's comment about her never seeing her son definitely points to someone Kate would have spoke to in confidence

Interesting.
Someone on DS forum also pointed out that a phone number on Nick's phone (when he rang his lawyer) is the same number that Hilton gave to Huntley, so why would Nick also have Hilton's number? If true, Hilton is looking like a big suspect.

I think Kate will figure out about
Maneet
pretty quickly, Huntley's comment about her never seeing her son definitely points to someone Kate would have spoke to in confidence

Yeah, good point. Tbh, I'd forgotten about Kate having family. Get so used to getting info on an episode to episode basis, the more long-term plot stuff tends to be forgotten. Part of what i find frustrating, but also engaging about the show, is I can't work out what Huntley's gameplan is. She doesn't seem to be running down a hill, in regards to covering up her tracks, but things like going on about sexism and gender neutral language etc feel at odds with her using the sex worker angle/smear to set Hannah Reznokovah up for Tim Ifield's murder.

I feel like there's an awful lot to get through in the next two episodes, but I imagine even if Hastings has a shit-eating grin on when they get some evidence of Huntley's corruption, there will be some form of resolution due on his sexism. I kinda want the ACC to go in disgrace too. I know in the past, Jed Mercurio has said he wanted to show the bad guys sometimes get away with it, but if the season ends and they don't know who killed Ifield it'd feel like the characters are giving up on a dead man, as much as supposed realities.

Excellent episode. Really confused about who the balaclava man is. Got the impression this week that
it isn't Huntley's husband after all.

Also,
I was actually rooting for Roz Huntley in the interrogation scene when she called out Hastings' sexism.
I mean I do admire Hastings' authenticity and dedication to justice, but his sexism had bothered me with calling female officers darling and
his reluctance to promote Detective Fleming despite her being better qualified than Detective Arnott

Next two episodes should be good though, and hopefully we will learn the truth about
Maneet

Yeah, good point. Tbh, I'd forgotten about Kate having family. Get so used to getting info on an episode to episode basis, the more long-term plot stuff tends to be forgotten. Part of what i find frustrating, but also engaging about the show, is I can't work out what Huntley's gameplan is. She doesn't seem to be running down a hill, in regards to covering up her tracks, but things like going on about sexism and gender neutral language etc feel at odds with her using the sex worker angle/smear to set Hannah Reznokovah up for Tim Ifield's murder.

I feel like there's an awful lot to get through in the next two episodes, but I imagine even if Hastings has a shit-eating grin on when they get some evidence of Huntley's corruption, there will be some form of resolution due on his sexism. I kinda want the ACC to go in disgrace too.

Huntley was just muddying the waters with the accusations of sexism etc in order to discredit AC 12, probably also what she told Hilton to get him on side

And as you say, she's not shy to use the same kind of shit to smear Hannah, if anything it just shows how much of a terrible person she is

Huntley is way more of a villain than Denton ever was, for me Denton was a grey area, in that the she did things with good intentions. Huntley is just using everyone for her own gain.

jesu

I'll use spoilers because everyone else is..
but that episode made me think
the husband
actually is balaclava man.
he's a bit bullied and was relieved when she said he was off the hook at the end

I'll use spoilers because everyone else is..
but that episode made me think
the husband
actually is balaclava man.
he's a bit bullied and was relieved when she said he was off the hook at the end

So
hen pecked/ abused husband goes out and murders younger (weaker) women?
I could buy that

satriales

I got the impression that
the soliciter
is blaclava man.
He fits the build much more than the husband, and he was called just before the stair incident. Maybe he works in a nearby building and headed straight over? Perhaps the husband even knows about it?
He's also played by a recognizeable actor so I expect we'll see more of him.

Lindsey Denton still causing trouble for AC12 even when she's dead ! Huntley's counterattack was pretty devastating and I kept waiting for Kate to go 'check her left arm for injuries' as she was so clearly not using it at any point in the interview. And what an interview it was. All those weird rules about who gets to ask the questions and how everything is repeated for the tape as if this is 1974 make it a little surreal. Adrian Dunbar's Hastings is simultanously awesome and insufferable and even though he is a good man fighting the good fight I still did a little fistbump when Roz managed to turn the tables.

I'm kind of expecting some twist on how exactly Ifield ended up dead. We have not seen what happened so there must be more to it then 'Roz woke up and killed him' with some other party being involved.

pswii60

Not watched series 4 yet but just seen series 3 which was fucking amazing and the best TV I've seen in a long time. Going to wait for series 4 to finish so I can binge. Love this show so much, the best British TV show right now alongside Happy Valley.
Watched the first season.

Thought it was embarrassingly bad personally.
What is wrong with you? Season 1 was incredible stuff too.

Another thing I love about this show is the long interrogations that can go on sometimes 10+ minutes. That might sound offputting but it really isn't, they're some of the most riveting, edge of your seat stuff ever and always have a surprise.

Lindsey Denton still causing trouble for AC12 even when she's dead ! Huntley's counterattack was pretty devastating and I kept waiting for Kate to go 'check her left arm for injuries' as she was so clearly not using it at any point in the interview. And what an interview it was. All those weird rules about who gets to ask the questions and how everything is repeated for the tape as if this is 1974 make it a little surreal. Adrian Dunbar's Hastings is simultanously awesome and insufferable and even though he is a good man fighting the good fight I still did a little fistbump when Roz managed to turn the tables.

I'm kind of expecting some twist on how exactly Ifield ended up dead. We have not seen what happened so there must be more to it then 'Roz woke up and killed him' with some other party being involved.

Yeah, I feel like we'll revisit Ifield's death ala "What really happened down that country lane" in Season 2. The possible use of that unreliable narrator angle slightly annoys me though, as it feels like we've had Ifield's Death and the End of EP3 as possible cases of us thinking X happened when really it was Y...if this was say, someone recounting the story I wouldn't mind so much but when it's not...it just annoys me :p

Also slightly banging my head against the wall that everyone in Huntley's own squad are so indifferent etc as to the presence of multiple Balaclava Men. I guess next episode, when info might filter to them that a Balaclava Man beat the shit out of Not Jesus, someone might ask Huntley if there's a chance they fudged it up on Michael Farmer.

Feel like we've got more to come from the Husband too, in some form. And the interrogation scenes remain the highlight. Even if people dislike the action-y ending to Season 3, having an interrogation scene take up so much of the episode was soooo good.

Thank you all for helping me discover this show. I turned my wife on to it and it's stopped her from wasting her time with all the NCIS & CSI variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom