• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

Shizuka

Seems like most of the common front line set (warrior/knight/samurai) all have a place too. Of those three, I can see myself experimenting with swapping out the warrior for the monk once my samurai's strength has improved a bit, but the Samurai seems good for crowd control and the knight for tanking boss battles.

That's my party, but I could do without the Warrior and maybe using a Monk or Archer instead.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
*sigh* I was hoping the Wizzard would have the identify skill as well. Can't stand not having that in a DRPG, so I guess no Archer for me... Oh well.

Btw Steel, look at the games digital manual. Which I would hope they included as it has all of the skills and spells listed near the end part of it. So you will be able to see what type of spells / skills are available for the classes and such.

Steel

Banned
Btw Steel, look at the games digital manual. Which I would hope they included as it has all of the skills and spells listed near the end part of it. So you will be able to see what type of spells / skills are available for the classes and such.

I'd completely forgotten that digital manuals were a thing. Will do.

Edit:

And FINALLY got another 7. Saw some 15s while the numbers were changing.... Must resist.....

Now just one more character...

You guys weren't kidding about the game just throwing you out in the wind. The game seems to be mechanically deep but I have to explore all of these things myself, since there are no tutorials.

Parakeetman

You guys weren't kidding about the game just throwing you out in the wind. The game seems to be mechanically deep but I have to explore all of these things myself, since there are no tutorials.

They give you some very basic tutorials, but that is about it. Small introduction on how to combine and break down things for the equipment lab. Medbay is pretty self explanatory.

Other stuff you will want to check your digital manual in the games Vita menu. Since that has a lot of info that is not listed in the OTs FAQ there. Including status effects, what things mean on the status screen, skills, spells etc.

I'd completely forgotten that digital manuals were a thing. Will do.

Edit:

And FINALLY got another 7. Saw some 15s while the numbers were changing.... Must resist.....

Now just one more character...

Yeah just confirmed with my JP copy in regards to the kind of content the digital manual has. Thankfully it is filled with a lot of info that should help folks out.

Shizuka

Inside the CPA, there is a handbook of sorts with all kinds of information from the game, although I didn't read it myself.

Steel

Banned
Actually the digital manual doesn't say anything about what skills classes get. Hmmm... Oh well.

Edit: How many pages does the JP digital manual have? U.S. one is 24 pages.

Shizuka

Actually the digital manual doesn't say anything about what skills classes get. Hmmm... Oh well.

You can check which skills they get when checking the blood codes themselves, although I couldn't select any specific skill to see what it does.

Hubb

Game was waiting for me by the time I got home from work. Quick question (sorry if it has already been answered) while I go make dinner. Can you make your party all at once, or is it similar to Demon Gaze where you need to rent/unlock spots first?

Shizuka

Game was waiting for me by the time I got home from work. Quick question (sorry if it has already been answered) while I go make dinner. Can you make your party all at once, or is it similar to Demon Gaze where you need to rent/unlock spots first?

You get all the characters at once in the beginning of the game, all six of them.

Steel

Banned
You can check which skills they get when checking the blood codes themselves, although I couldn't select any specific skill to see what it does.

That's unfortunate. But it's fine, I think I get the gist of what kind of skills each class has.

All at once. Prepare to roll for stats if you're OCD about it like I am.

Parakeetman

Wtf thats like half the manual missing. D:

The JP one is like 46 pages.

Thats kinda crazy that they removed half of it, since lots of useful information within the manual.

Parakeetman

Yeah can make a full 6 character PT from the start after the intro. Just that there will be 2 missing classes which are unlocked later via quest. The Monk and Conjurer.

Ephidel

Thats kinda crazy that they removed half of it, since lots of useful information within the manual.
Probably more than half considering that half of our manual isn't actually anything useful. Pages 1, 2 and 14-24 are the cover, photosensitivity warnings, how to use a game card, FCC notices, and tech support details.

Page 3 is an index, Page 4/5/6 have controls.
7/8 is on how to change blood codes and a warning about the downsides of doing so (levels and abilities being tied to the blood code, abilities not being transferable, boost points being static and not able to be earned until you pass the highest level you have achieved in any blood code)
8 also has a paragraph on squad formation (its totality can be summarised as "Warriors front, Wizards back, Academics disable traps and identify stuff")
9/10/11 break down a character status screen and explain stats (okay, this part is useful, and explains the stats and the miss/evade chance stuff)
12/13 break down an item data screen (this too).

I Was wondering if that was the case because most of the stuff I need help with isn't there at all lol, just the basic of basics. This game is very strange... Not selecting who to attack is weird too. All I do is press "Attack". Idk, maybe I need some more time but this isn't clicking with me, and I love DRPGs.

Parakeetman

Probably more than half considering that half of our manual isn't actually anything useful. Pages 1, 2 and 14-24 are the cover, photosensitivity warnings, how to use a game card, FCC notices, and tech support details.

Page 3 is an index, Page 4/5/6 have controls.
7/8 is on how to change blood codes and a warning about the downsides of doing so (levels and abilities being tied to the blood code, abilities not being transferable, boost points being static and not able to be earned until you pass the highest level you have achieved in any blood code)
8 also has a paragraph on squad formation (its totality can be summarised as "Warriors front, Wizards back, Academics disable traps and identify stuff")
9/10/11 break down a character status screen and explain stats (okay, this part is useful, and explains the stats and the miss/evade chance stuff)
12/13 break down an item data screen (this too).

I Was wondering if that was the case because most of the stuff I need help with isn't there at all lol, just the basic of basics. This game is very strange... Not selecting who to attack is weird too. All I do is press "Attack". Idk, maybe I need some more time but this isn't clicking with me, and I love DRPGs.

That is a damned shame and crazy too considering unless people had played the original series and such they would have no idea what most of this information is.

Did the game even come with a physical manual?

Pretty insane for NISA not to properly localize the digital manual also. Someone most def dropped the ball here regardless of budget or not. Since arguing the point giving people the tools to understand the games content is pretty damned important, otherwise its going to show in reviews and they have no way of backing it up saying, well if you checked the manual page X...

Shizuka

Like I said before, there is a handbook inside the game with all sorts of information, even if it's somewhat hidden and most people won't bother to read it. I'll give it a read when I get home to see how much information is there.

Just picked up my copy, I'm excited to start playing this. Just gotta play a couple more hours of Neptunia U before I dive into the Abyss. I know once I start playing it I'm gonna forget about U forever lol.

Steel

Banned
Like I said before, there is a handbook inside the game with all sorts of information, even if it's somewhat hidden and most people won't bother to read it. I'll give it a read when I get home to see how much information is there.

Yeah, found it. Just hit start and go to the squad handbook. Has a lot more info than the digital manual anyway.

My team is level 3! Alright woohoo!

I'm slowly getting the hang of everything, figuring out terms and wrapping my mind around the flow of the game. It's soooo good!

I love everything about this.

Experience has me for life. Whatever they release, I want it.

Hubb

Not sure how touchy this subject is since they didn't include the Japanese voices, but the Dub isn't that bad. At least the 30 minutes that I have played haven't been bad. Hopefully it doesn't take a dive for some reason.

Parakeetman

Not sure how touchy this subject is since they didn't include the Japanese voices, but the Dub isn't that bad. At least the 30 minutes that I have played haven't been bad. Hopefully it doesn't take a dive for some reason.

So far no one seems to have an issue with the dub that has played the game. With that being said so far so good i suppose haha

My team is level 3! Alright woohoo!

I'm slowly getting the hang of everything, figuring out terms and wrapping my mind around the flow of the game. It's soooo good!

I love everything about this.

Experience has me for life. Whatever they release, I want it.

Glad to hear it. Since some of the gameplay mechanics are different from demon gaze helps keep things fresh too.

CrovaxPSO

It's pretty good from what I've heard for the most part, Kaito's English actor sounds like he might be trying too hard to sound young. Alice seems to match up with the Japanese voice in terms of personality pretty well.

I can not get these Drill Variants to spawn in
Babyl
early in the game, can I keep going on with story or will I lose these side quests?

Seda

There are a few characters where they obviously went over-the-top with an intentionally cartoony voice-over, overall it's at least serviceable.

Shizuka

Babyl
early in the game, can I keep going on with story or will I lose these side quests?

You can always move forward, just don't skip to the second semester before finishing all current wanted variant quests.

CrovaxPSO

Babyl

Any unfinished quests from the first semester (first half) of the game will be locked out if you proceed into the second half. Otherwise there's no time limit or anything on quests normally, so you can go back as long as you do it before finishing up the first half.

Parakeetman

Babyl

info on both types within spoilers below

Babelsphere N1 need to have the encounter meter at least lv 4

mega drill is babelsphere S2 S3 no mention of encounter bar lv

Seda

Ant tips to finding Wanted Variant Algol? Wiki says he's in the Demon (Satan) room underneath the cemetery and doesn't list an encounter level. I can't seem to get him to appear.

e: LOL he appeared in literally the next battle. Law of the Universe I tell you.

CrovaxPSO

Ant tips to finding Wanted Variant Algol? Wiki says he's in the Demon (Satan) room underneath the cemetery and doesn't list an encounter level. I can't seem to get him to appear.

e: LOL he appeared in literally the next battle. Law of the Universe I tell you.

Haha, yeah, if there's no gauge level requirement listed there then it's just a purely random encounter.

Some things that are confusing me, I'm somewhat early in the game:

- Can't select who I am gonna attack. Do the party members go after weak enemies first, or is it all random?
- My academic right now has no purpose in battle other than looking pretty and casting "hit down" until I can't do anything else with it. Since she is on the back row she can't do any attacks. Is there any other purpose for her, outside of the benefit of being able to inspect and stuff in the dungeons?
- Lastly, I seem to run out of GP fairly quick, I don't even think I am spending it on the right stuff. What I should be aiming to do is as much crafting as possible correct?

Man, this game just feels so different from what I am used to. I was expecting to just pick and play, but the mechanics are very different from the usual turn based DRPGs I have played until now.

MrDoctor

Are battle medics effective in this game? What's the best equipment for that?

Can't select who I am gonna attack. Do the party members go after weak enemies first, or is it all random?
You attack groups rather than individual enemies. There are means to select a target, like an Archer skill.
Lastly, I seem to run out of GP fairly quick, I don't even think I am spending it on the right stuff. What I should be aiming to do is as much crafting as possible correct?
Pretty much.

Parakeetman

Some things that are confusing me, I'm somewhat early in the game:

- Can't select who I am gonna attack. Do the party members go after weak enemies first, or is it all random?
- My academic right now has no purpose in battle other than looking pretty and casting "hit down" until I can't do anything else with it. Since she is on the back row she can't do any attacks. Is there any other purpose for her, outside of the benefit of being able to inspect and stuff in the dungeons?
- Lastly, I seem to run out of GP fairly quick, I don't even think I am spending it on the right stuff. What I should be aiming to do is as much crafting as possible correct?

Man, this game just feels so different from what I am used to. I was expecting to just pick and play, but the mechanics are very different from the usual turn based DRPGs I have played until now.

yeah targets are by groups not individuals

at start just focus on leveling as more useful spells come out later. the weapons the academic gets are fairly useless too lol. later on they will be one of the main pillars of party support so just stick with it and most def will pay off!

gp is rough at start esp due to having to pay for identification of items. which is why having an academic will help save a ton of cash once you gain the identify spell.

early items will get replaced fairly fast but just for that little extra boost you can upgrade your existing equipment.

also breaking down equipment you dont want will give you back some materials and the junk data in case for whatever reason you want to craft it again

Parakeetman

Are battle medics effective in this game? What's the best equipment for that?

would not suggest it but you can try it out if you want lol

they can use hammers again but get closer to endgame and you most def will be busy with casting over combat with the healer

you most def will want to keep dedicated damage dealers in the front.

Hikami

Just got my game, wish Amazon would stop shipping stuff to me via UPS.. Always gets here really late. (It's 8pm)

Anyways, feels good to use my Vita again after mostly using my 3DS these past few months.

Hubb

Another stupid question... Is there a "repeat" button (can't think of what else to call it). I'm at the beginning, so a number of these fights don't take much in the way of strategy. Can't figure out how to repeat my commands though.

Parakeetman

Another stupid question... Is there a "repeat" button (can't think of what else to call it). I'm at the beginning, so a number of these fights don't take much in the way of strategy. Can't figure out how to repeat my commands though.

should just be holding down the circle button no?

Top Bottom