• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2017 [OT]- Kneelin' and dealin'

Reckheim

per nhl.com

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced today that the hockey club has reduced its roster to 26 players (14 forwards, 10 defencemen and two goaltenders).

The Maple Leafs have loaned the following players to the American Hockey League's Toronto Marlies: Miro Aaltonen, Travis Dermott, Frederik Gauthier, Justin Holl, Andreas Johnsson, Kasperi Kapanen, Kasimir Kaskisuo, Tobias Lindberg, Mason Marchment, Trevor Moore, Andrew Nielsen, Michael Paliotta, Nikita Soshnikov, Dmytro Timashov and Rinat Valiev.

The Maple Leafs have placed the following players on waivers: Colin Greening, Vincent LoVerde, Chris Mueller, Kerby Rychel, Ben Smith and Garret Sparks.

In addition, Carl Grundstrom has been reassigned to Frolunda HC of the Swedish Hockey League.

The Maple Leafs open the 2017-18 season on Wednesday, October 4 when they travel to Winnipeg to face the Jets before hosting the New York Rangers at Air Canada Centre on Saturday, October 7.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be in Calgary later, how bad is it?

In Banff atm, and while it's snowing, it's still pretty nice.

Pretty gross, in the city the roads probably aren't too bad since there is traffic. Really windy and slick outside the city. Definitely be careful driving.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Leafs say their forwards are set

so i hope that doesn't mean that one of the swede Ds are going down in favor of marincin

edit:
Chris Johnston @reporterchris
9m
There could still be a #leafs roster surprise. Mike Babcock says Andreas Borgman and Calle Rosén could both stick around for the opener.

lmao bye marincin

Yawnier

Banned
Leafs say their forwards are set

so i hope that doesn't mean that one of the swede Ds are going down in favor of marincin

edit:
Chris Johnston @reporterchris
9m
There could still be a #leafs roster surprise. Mike Babcock says Andreas Borgman and Calle Rosén could both stick around for the opener.

lmao bye marincin
Marincin is burnt toast

Yawnier

Banned
Find it strange that a final decision (supposedly) hasn't been made with Liljegren. Makes me think there is a greater chance than most of us thought now that he gets sent back to Sweden for the year. The Marlies do have a lot of d-men but if you gotta make a regular spot in the lineup for a prospect like him over another guy like Valiev or LoVerde then you do it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Find it strange that a final decision (supposedly) hasn't been made with Liljegren. Makes me think there is a greater chance than most of us thought now that he gets sent back to Sweden for the year. The Marlies do have a lot of d-men but if you gotta make a regular spot in the lineup for a prospect like him over another guy like Valiev or LoVerde then you do it.

I think the swedes being in the lineup and Liljegren being on the marlies is contingent on a Marincin trade

DLJIkiaWsAY3wE4.jpg

HNNNNGGGG

how has he been in the pre-season?, my brother took a flyer on him in our fantasy league.

Heh...

I have really liked what I have seen. Still needs to get his fitness fully back but he is really close.

Probably going to be our 2C to start the season if G is playing on the left to start the season.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Patrick didn't really stand out much in the two games I saw of him, but he didn't look out of place either.

Socreges

Banned
It's that time again. Just a taste:

lol at the comments

i keep trying to tell people that understanding the defense is the toughest thing out there because everybody looks for and remembers the final part of a long sequence of events. Good players eliminate the play early in the sequence and people don't know how to pick up on it. They just remember the moments leading up to a goal... looking for a big play... defense isn't about big plays, it's about suffocation.

um, yes. but what marincin provides is very very valuable that you can't easily acquire.

that's the point of this.

can we have him for a 4th rounder?
At least you can tell Gardiner is a very elite shutdown defenseman

Edit: i'm trying to find someone as good as him, best I can find is OEL, ekblad and Marincin so far lol

I think they're still deciding between AHL and Sweden.

I would think the AHL would benefit him greatly. Get the play against men still but on the ice surface of the NHL.

I only mention this because I have him as a player in my fantasy league and I'm very much waiting for the big NA to come up next to him so I can stow him away. I have Hudon listed as an NA and I know he's going to play so I'm waiting to stow Liljegren so I can pick up and use Hudon :).

Marvie_3

Banned
Nice, except for the wait. I wasn't able to join my team this winter since cash is tight. Gonna try and do shiney when I can though.
Yeah i havent played in a couple years so I might do their hockey school first just to brush up then start in summer.

zroid

Banned
for all the flak Marincin takes based on not living up to his advanced stats or whatever, I doubt he is worse than most teams' current 6th D-man

if I had the inclination I'd go through every team's depth chart and place him on it; I'd be surprised if he couldn't make more than half of those rosters by virtue of talent and past performance alone

... but have you seen those advanced stats ...

real answer tho, some teams would take him based on that alone. The Leafs did.

I just feel like the Leafs do not have a particularly strong group on D, and if he couldn't crack that lineup I'm not sure where he would be able to get in.

Top Bottom