• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

GodofWine

The lack of a generous upgrade path is a real bummer. I am not pleased

Because that would REALLY piss off ps4 owners. It would be impossible to sanely explain that PS5 games will run on PS4s with frame and resolution sacrifices...but saying that PS4K games run on a PS4 is easier to digest.

entremet

Sony is getting ready to fumble the ball big time here. Fucking hell. They didn't learn. For like all the good will they built up over these last 3 years they are really going to fucking do this and just shoot themselves in the foot.

I honestly believe it's their 3rd parties pushing this stuff. Sony and MS are very 3rd party centric. Last generation was a bit hard on them and iterative consoles helps mitigate risk.

MK_768

listen, if games don't play worse than they are today than I have no issue with the "significant sacrifices" part. But if we start seeing games run really gimped or lack significant features outside of graphics then that's an issue.

I don't care for graphics. I just want games to be technically sound.

really?
why?

its great, the normal PS4 will play the same games just less graphics. the new one plays better graphics for the people that wanted better looking games. nobody is forcing you to upgrade as you can get the same game for your vanilla PS4. its a win win.
Yeah, we'll see how well that goes.

J-Skee

I thought the upgrade was only for upscaling games to 4K, getting some to play natively in 4K & upgrades for VR. This new information sounds like it's going to way more substantial. And nothing for those who helped Sony get to over 36 million PS4's sold? No upgrade path? Not even sometime type of attachment to help achieve the new power of the PS4K?

This might be the end of "console generations" as we know it. The next PlayStation console won't be PS5. It'll be the PS4K 2018 or PS4K, 2nd generation. Then the next thing you know, "this game doesn't support the 2013 PS4 model."

E3 is going to be so interesting.

Raiku

It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

giphy.gif

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

This is disappointing if we're talking 3.68 tflops. Not enough for 4K gaming.

XavandSo

Neo Member
It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

.... I'm done with console gaming, if this is true.

I'll ride my current systems until they die a proper, timely life and won't be upgrading. This will kill the console industry. You can't use the phone/tablet model to everything. 6-7 year timespans are what's expected with consoles. Having games 'run but with considerable sacrifices' doesn't consitute a full timespan even if the OG PS4 still gets games until 2018~.

GHG

I bought a GTX 970 instead of a 980ti.

I had to make sacrifices when running my games.

I'm outraged with Nvidia, outraged I tell you. How dare they sell something better than the GPU I chose?

If they offer a good trade in program then I'll consider it. If not I'm just switching full time to PC.

I really don't think they will, though.
If they want to cut down generations to 3-4 years from 6-7, fine. Just give us a helping hand the first time you do this. If it does launch this year we will have had barely any warning.

I'll tell you what you release a white edition and give me a good trade in on mine I will buy.

No trade in scheme no purchase.

unless I get a good Xmas bonus or wait for price drop

wow

There it is.

Fuck you. This is a complete unnecessary step and will destroy a lot of goodwill they build up this gen.

Also the new CPU is still in question? I thought the bottleneck IS the current CPU and not the GPU anyway.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

This is why I think everyone need to calm down a bit about the 3yr cycle fears. If they haven't even decided on the CPU yet, I really don't think this will launch this year. This sounds like a 2017 machine to me but I'm no insider.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sony is getting ready to fumble the ball big time here. Fucking hell. They didn't learn. For like all the good will they built up over these last 3 years they are really going to fucking do this and just shoot themselves in the foot.

By giving consumers a choice? The same exact choice both MS is giving to people?

It's not even a choice for Nintendo - they killed off the Wii U not even 4 years into its life cycle. You have no choice but to buy their new hardware. I've seen minimal outrage over folks who got burned buying a Wii U - its not getting a full life cycle.

There will be a lot of complaining online but I don't see how this is anything but good for consumers. If you're happy with what you got now keep it, if you want to upgrade then upgrade.

CPU still not decided?.
Thats a good one.Like if the most important thing in a new apu design is a last minute change.
Or they are still debating whether to go with 4 zen cores or eight.
The GPU is Polaris 10 for sure, probably smaller than Pitcairn and 2,5 times as powerful with 2.304 shader cores rumored.

Neiteio

DF articles going to have PS4 owners fighting with PS4K owners.

X-D
Haha, first thing I thought, too. Fanboyism occurs when a person feels the (irrational, immature) need to justify their purchase when they're too poor to afford the alternative. Before, it was just one company's wares against another's. Now the fanboys of one company will be divided against themselves!

Bring out the popcorn.

kenta

Has no PEINS
So basically owning a regular PS4 is about to very rapidly feel like owning an iPad 2. Sure those apps will technically run buuuuuuut....

Top Bottom