• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as the 13th Doctor!

adj_noun

This sounds great.

The doctor should do a surprised self boob grab when he/she/it regenerates.

only slightly joking

giphy.gif

Sheroking

If I'm not much mistaken, we've known that Timelords can change gender going back to supplementary Classic Who stuff. It was only affirmed in Canon in The Doctor's Wife.

WillyFive

She's younger looking than I expected.

Lost interest with Capaldi (but not because of his Doctor), hopefully her first episode is a good enough starting point again. Matt Smith's Eleventh Hour was the perfect entry point for Doctor Who.

jwk94

Not happy with the choice.

Not because she's a woman, because she's not black.

Someone close to me felt the same way. Personally, I don't mind. A black woman would've been cool, or really an POC, but I'm fine with a white lady for now.

louiedog

At least one of those people who are mad works on security access systems.

She was given an eight-digit access code to get into the female changing area but found herself locked out when she first tried to use it.

She asked staff for help and was outraged when they told her their security system had assumed she was a male because she had the title Dr.

When she asked if the system could be changed she was told it couldn't and she would have to drop her title to gain entry.

Very excited by the choice, and also curious to see how Chibnall will change the show.

On a tangent, is Broadchurch series 3 worth watching? Suffering through the second series was enough to put me off even bothering with it.

As long as they dont focus on her being a woman in the new episodes while constantly pointing it out and just let her play the doctor as usual, I dont see the problem people are having over this. At least wait for the new season before saying this was done purely for political correctness or something.

Nail on head.

As long as the character is played the same it really shouldn't matter. Let's face it if it is a glorious failure then end of the 12 episode (or christmas special) bang on the back of the head, glow of light and someone else takes over (or picks up the pieces depending on your point of view!).

Very excited by the choice, and also curious to see how Chibnall will change the show.

On a tangent, is Broadchurch series 3 worth watching? Suffering through the second series was enough to put me off even bothering with it.

3 was better than 2 as it actually had a new case. Still suffered from Broadchurch's slow-as-fuck pace IMO, but it was good.

V_Arnold

As long as they dont focus on her being a woman in the new episodes while constantly pointing it out and just let her play the doctor as usual, I dont see the problem people are having over this. At least wait for the new season before saying this was done purely for political correctness or something.

Its not like the Doctor was made fun of for his looks/changes ALL TIME time, right?
Right?

Yeah. She will be "poked fun of", obviously. Every single change is mocked. All the time. (I mean in-universe).

(Before someone misunderstands, I love the new Doctor already, I am just saying that we cant expect older characters in the universe to not react to the doctor being a woman now.)

I feel like any worries people are having that her womanhood is going to be a primary focus of her characterization and source of the show's drama might be lessened a little by a quote Chibnall had made earlier in the year, a quote that actually read as something very different then but seems kind of a reassurance now:

He basically said he's not looking to gimmick anything, and he doesn't want anything to play as a gimmick.

At the time, being as it was a response to the "Would you ever cast a woman" question, it sounded like he was basically implying that casting a woman at all would be considered gimmicky. But now, it seems like what he's saying is the fact the Doctor is a woman isn't going to be the focus at all.

Sorta like how Missy being Missy never really fueled anything Missy was doing.

scarlet

Never watched it. But reading the tweet replies isn't good for my sanity. Some people are just horrible human being.

A person brought this up in the other thread and it would be the PERFECT way to have her regenerate. Dreading if they do the whole "feels boobs in surprise with terrified face" schtick.

They're absolutely going to do this in some form.

I suspect it will be more like saying something, realizing the voice sounds a bit odd, then looking down and going, "oh, no, after all this time?"

Top Bottom