• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

If it already was not confirmed they played through the whole thing I would have feared them quitting Shenmue after this episode.

I am pretty sure we will have an episode that just consists of the three of them sobbing as Ryo spins around in a circle for 40 minutes before the end.

2883032-motherrussiableeds.jpg

Quick Look: Mother Russia Bleeds
Drugs are generally bad stuff, but they can be pretty useful if ever you need to beat a pig to death.

Looks pretty cool.

Zocano

It bums me out that Furi has gotten only a sentence or two of discussion from the guys and will not be remembered fondly. But the guys aren't action game fans and my only hope, Jason, doesn't seem to have played it. Oh well.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It bums me out that Furi has gotten only a sentence or two of discussion from the guys and will not be remembered fondly. But the guys aren't action game fans and my only hope, Jason, doesn't seem to have played it. Oh well.
I'm pretty sure Dan talked about really liking it at one point. But it might have been Necropolis. These games are basically one in my mind.

BTA

Is it worth playing the original Picross 3D? It's $10 cheaper and if there's no overlap in puzzles, I'd like to try the original first.

I have a lot to play at the moment so I wouldn't buy it anytime soon anyway, but figured it was worth asking here.

Woke up late, had to get fast food for breakfast.

Unprofessional Friday, here I come.

now I don't want to tell you to curb your enthusiasm, but

oh fuck it, go ahead and look forward to it

we're probably overdue for a good one, anyway (and there'll probably be at least one decent segment since Dan's back)

The Shenmue endurance is frustrating. Watching people who don't know how to play Shenmue, not bother to learn how to play Shenmue, and then go "this game sucks" makes me want to punch a wall. Wanted to give Giant Bomb a chance with this but their lack of basic game skills gets in the way of enjoyment like usual. Such an awful site.

kai3345

Banned
The Shenmue endurance is frustrating. Watching people who don't know how to play Shenmue, not bother to learn how to play Shenmue, and then go "this game sucks" makes me want to punch a wall. Wanted to give Giant Bomb a chance with this but their lack of basic game skills gets in the way of enjoyment like usual. Such an awful site.

lol

V_Ben

Banned

What is the 'proper' way to experience it? Because to me, this looks normal. It's how I've always seen Shenmue played, and it looks like the dumbest thing imaginable.

tuxfool

Banned

I'll let you in on a secret. To most people here Shenmue is the least important part of the endurance run.

Mr. F

Banned

Turns out a 17 year old game is mechanically rough around the edges to someone who hasn't played it before. awful site.

Edit; This sums up my feelings nicely, from the ER thread;

My opinion of Shenmu is solidifying and it's not really being impacted by the way the guys are playing. It's mostly based on the fact that this is a story and character centric game and the story and characters are all very awkward. Even if I look past the hilarious voice acting and the poor translation, the way one lead moves to the next doesn't feel true to actual life. There is a charm to the absurdity of the interactions but the way the game is defended, I'm finding it hard to see a point of view where the game can be taken so seriously.

Shenmue is one of my all time faves and I am loving it.

You can't really learn how to play Shenmue, it is what it is.

You certainly don't need "game skills".

I never understood why people get mad at how other people play video games... Like is it a "my way or the highway" situation... That's the cool thing about video games is that different people play them differently and form different opinions about them. If you want someone to experience something the same way you did then you should stick to movies or books or something...

pxtWZFa.gif

Salarians

2702835-jeff_loves_yoshi.gif

KingKong

most old games with any kind of complicated mechanics (so not sidescrollers or fighting games) are straight up obnoxious to play if you didn't play them when they first came out and that's a fact. FPS games are usually better but RPGs are the worst about this

oti

Banned

I love the ER just because of this comment.

Badoink

Banned
Guys, is Giant Bomb... doing well?

I used to watch them a lot during early days, but then I found a job (and their videos are reaaaally long, lol) and kinda drifted away.

I'm back now thanks to the Shenmue run (which is great so far) but I looked around and all I see are some late quick locks and podcasts about things not related to games at all.

How many people do they employ now? Like 6-7? And this is all we get? This kinda seems like a dying website or at least a troubled one.

So, how are things?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

I used to watch them a lot during early days, but then I found a job (and their videos are reaaaally long, lol) and kinda drifted away.

I'm back now thanks to the Shenmue run (which is great so far) but I looked around and all I see are some late quick locks and podcasts about things not related to games at all.

How many people do they employ now? Like 6-7? And this is all we get? This kinda seems like a dying website or at least a troubled one.

So, how are things?

They were at PAX during the weekend and had a panel there (video is on the site), but in the last couple of days they had QLs for Mother Russia Bleeds, Picross 3D: Round 2, The Final Station, Attack on Titan, Alone With You and that Metroid Prime game. Those are all current releases.
They also started an Endurance Run of Shenmue and did a stream for the Sony press conference.

A new Beastcast came out today and the Bombcast, as ususal, on tuesday.

So yeah, not sure how you got that impression.

qVRiq3A.gif

So, how are things?

Premium viewers of live streams seem to be higher than ever, that's all I know.

Quick Looks are fairly timely, the extra-curricular podcasts are just little cherries on top of the premium pie based on the guys' own interests.

Top Bottom