• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoveOven

Banned
Has the top 10 always just been such a collection of their individual favourite games of the year? I feel like the arguments for the bottom 3 were really weak this year beyond "you know guys, I really love this game".

At least Austin put forward a proper argument for Invisible Inc.

The Destiny year has kind of broken the point of hashing this stuff out.

Obviously there's no objectivity, but consensus > "this needs to be number 10 because it's my number 1". If they're doing that now, it might as well be a top 5 or a return to winner and runner ups.

2012 had Jeff getting Syndicate, Patrick getting ZombiU, Brad getting Mass Effect 3, and Vinny getting Sleeping Dogs. It's kind of always been this way. Although I definitely prefer "This is a game one of us really loves" to "I guess we all kinda like Uncharted"

I think the bottom half has often had people squeezing in their "pet" games without too much friction. Austin's game was number 9 and they gave Witcher 10th without anyone even coming close to finishing it. If there had been a Stardew Valley or a Thumper that year, I dont think they would have fought hard to get it on.

Like I said in the GOTY thread I think they should stop numbering 1-10 and just do 1-5 and then 5 more "honorable mentions" or whatever. In the past few years the order of the back half of the list has been completely arbitrary
more so than the front half anyway
because they're all pet favorites so all they have to go on is "well, two people played this game and only one person played that one, so I guess this one is better."

Oh my God, the abrupt stop in the Dishonored 2 quick look where Jason berates Dan for not knowing nationally syndicated radio host Delilah is so fucking relevant.

Doom slayer should go to heaven next

open it up with him waking up on clouds and they're ready to reward him, but doom marine is like 'nah' and starts kililng everything

Doom slayer should go to heaven next

open it up with him waking up on clouds and they're ready to reward him, but doom marine is like 'nah' and starts kililng everything

Codex entries basically implied that his bloodlust is eternal and unrelenting. Although he did show restraint in not killing Hayden right away.

justjim89

Played Overwatch for the first time in like 3 months, tried out Sombra for the first time. I forgot how much fun that game is to just play, but man the progression is so slow it just kinda kills my desire to keep playing. It took me like 90 minutes of play to level up once.

Zornack

I played a handful of Overwatch games last night, got 3 lootboxes (arcade mode imba) and the last one had nutcracker Zenyatta.

I'm pretty good at Overwatch I guess .

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's a bit silly but I think the thing I'm most hyped for about RDR 2, the only really thing I'm hyped for about it atm, is seeing next-gen weather in RDR

Because RDR storms were terrifying

Zornack

I looked at a release schedule for 2017 and saw Danganronpa V3 was January then saw that's for the Japanese release so fuck 2017.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I looked at a release schedule for 2017 and saw Danganronpa V3 was January then saw that's for the Japanese release so fuck 2017.

but you know what it is january 2017?
2975272-1000105188-origi.jpg

hamchan

Played Overwatch for the first time in like 3 months, tried out Sombra for the first time. I forgot how much fun that game is to just play, but man the progression is so slow it just kinda kills my desire to keep playing. It took me like 90 minutes of play to level up once.

You're supposed to play, have fun and not care about the progression, since then it starts looking like work and 90 minutes work for a loot box that costs $1 is not a very good return.

Let's be clear here: Overwatch's level-ups are not progression. There is no mechanical difference between a level 1 and level 1,000 player. It is a good excuse to drip feed cosmetic lootboxes and nothing more.

In general, I feel like the progression sentiment (i.e. saying it's not rewarding), and a general disdain for lootboxes have only come to a head with Overwatch. Which is weird, because there's dozens of worse games that embrace that sort of thing, while also doing it in a malicious way--particularly on mobile--but they aren't demonised for it, just ignored. Like Brad's Clash Royale thing, or, the big one, Team Fortress 2--the worst of all worlds.

What is it that makes Overwatch so much more egregious about it?

Teddified

If Drew is in Japan then we got a 3 man podcast with one of them running the livestream, so just a jeff + brad bombcast, unless we get a guest or two.

Choomp

Banned
Is there a gif of all the guys pointing to the Weed sign at E3? Saw that shit today and seemed just ripe for a gif

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Check that guy's twitter feed.

edit:
On the popular gaming website Giant Bomb, its staff declared Luckey the year's ”hottest mess" for the same reasons. They ignored the many disappointing, and downright terrible games that came out this year, like No Man's Sky—and the myriad complaints that followed in its release.
Yeah, that was top 3 in that same category lol

Apparently he really hates that BAKOON guy, that's probably why he wrote the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom