• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo sales - Zelda: 3.84 million, Pokémon S&M: 15.44 million, Kirby: 1.36 million

Their 10 million forecast seems low but I guess they know the craze would die down a bit during the summer then pick up closer to Christmas. I'd still hope they make and ship more, something closer to 15 million.

It's a tactic to under-promise now to gauge the market more and over-deliver later. They didn't learn that with 3DS and Wii U, but they certainly did for this.

Memory

I love how people here are always shitting on Kirby but Kirby games are constantly great and also break the 1million barrier.

The only thing that could conceivably stop Sun and Moon from being the best selling mainline Pokémon titles since Gold and Silver would be Stars coming along and breaking its legs.

For context, X and Y had sold just over 12 million by this point, and those games have had below-par legs by Pokémon standards.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm starting to think if they would have released Zelda for Wii U sooner it might not be discontinued right now.

Anyone think it could have helped sell Wii U consoles?

I'm starting to think if they would have released Zelda for Wii U sooner it might not be discontinued right now.

No. WiiU is just a shitty expensive console that no one really wanted to own. It wasnt going to move tons of units no matter what.

I bought one still

Usobuko

Banned
Exceptional zelda numbers.

kirby isn't shabby too and it's the best kirby game in a long time? Maybe I should buy it.

Interfectum

There would have been a small burst of Wii U sales followed by nothing. Zelda would have been hurt more than Wii U would have been helped, IMO.

jman2050

Honestly I think there's a okay chance Zelda will not just break 10 million but go well beyond it.

This might be the breakout game the franchise has been lacking for a long time.

Realeza

Banned
Honestly I think there's a okay chance Zelda will not just break 10 million but go well beyond it.

This might be the breakout game the franchise has been lacking for a long time.

The best game and new blueprint of the series going above 10 million would be amazing.

E-phonk

Banned
The 'buzz' being "overpriced" "should have been packin" etc

Must have sold around 600~700k on their 2.7million install base. That's not bad at all tbh. It'll surely get to a million this year.
It's not my type of game, but I can see the appeal for families etc.

Surprised Zelda has sold over 1m on Wii U! The second hand prices have gone a little crazy. Always good to see Kirby selling well, Robobot was spectacular.

Zedark

Must have sold around 600~700k on their 2.7million install base. That's not bad at all tbh. It'll surely get to a million this year.
It's not my type of game, but I can see the appeal for families etc.

It had a 19% attach rate in US, and around 30% in Japan. Even going by the lowest value (19%), 1-2-Switch should have sold at least 520k, possibly quite a bit higher, into your 600k-700k range. It isn't a flop by any measure, though it does kinda feel good that Zelda is killing it much more.

Regiruler

tumblr_npmd6jxLat1uxvlcbo1_400.gif
Change the gif to raining Amber for accuracy.

EhoaVash

Zelda should make it past the 5 million Mark but 10 million no way

Also while I was searching for a switch in stores I noticed that there are 4 to 5 switch games all in limited quantities except for Zelda botw switch which is like over stocked. Like I saw maybe 40 copies of botw switch on shelf at Walmart Target etc all unsold. Just stacked together.

Really nice Zelda numbers. It should be able to double that lifetime I think. But 10 million is probably still a stretch. That'll need a lot of legs.

It have no doubt it will reach 10m. It's evidently an evergreen tittle (on Switch).

Zelda should make it past the 5 million Mark but 10 million no way

Also while I was searching for a switch in stores I noticed that there are 4 to 5 switch games all in limited quantities except for Zelda botw switch which is like over stocked. Like I saw maybe 40 copies of botw switch on shelf at Walmart Target etc all unsold. Just stacked together.

Lol it should be beyond 5m at this point already. 10 million won't be a problem with the DLC this holiday.

And that stock would be sold out if there was a corresponding of consoles.

Shaanyboi

Banned

For what benefit? The WiiU was already on its deathbed with no support on the horizon and the Switch already around the corner.

Uh, what the hell? If you realized your post was offensive, why did you edit in that disclaimer instead of just editing the word out?

It isn't supposed to be offensive, it's supposed to be good-natured banter. However, i'm aware that doesn't always go over too well in the US, hence the weasly disclaimer

boiled goose

good with gravy
It isn't supposed to be offensive, it's supposed to be good-natured banter. However, i'm aware that doesn't always go over too well in the US, hence the weasly disclaimer

Using a word with strong mysoginy associations goes beyond friendly banter. It creates an unwelcoming environment.

Top Bottom