• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo sales - Zelda: 3.84 million, Pokémon S&M: 15.44 million, Kirby: 1.36 million

random25

Smash 3DS+Wii U almost at 14M. 80k more to go.

And 3D World almost reaching NSMBU. Who would have thought after that slow start?

Peru

Kirby's popularity never ceases to amaze me.

It's surprising to see any Nintendo property that's not Mario, Zelda, SSB, Mario Kart or Pokemon getting over a million units. Especially when games like Metroid and F-Zero are currently about as successful as Coke Zero.

Yes

But on the other hand I think a triple A Metroid FPA game, now in HD!, would sell way beyond that.

Nintendo just got to see the light on why the Wii was the wrong place for more of those and why sales slowed down.

sphinx

the piano man
one thing that is in Zelda's favor this time around, compared to twilight Princess, is that by now gamers of all styles and ages know that the "next-gen visuals" bubble bursted a while ago and that games not looking "next-gen" are ok and worthy. It took a while but we are already there. Plenty of popular, good selling stuff (GTA comes to mind) is cross.gen, many look and feel like mildly up-res'd PS3 games.

people are now more open to a game that at it's core is a WiiU game than people were towards TP, which launched together with Gears of War on 360 and Resistence on PS3, which looked worlds apart from games on the prior generation.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not saying it's as popular as Wii Sports I'm saying it's currently the switches Wii Sports. The most popular piece id software and the reason people are being the system. It's sales are intimately linked with the switches own as the attach ratio shows.

Those points make sense, and I'd say that's a fairly good characterization of Switch's launch and sales so far.

random25

Kirby's popularity never ceases to amaze me.

It's surprising to see any Nintendo property that's not Mario, Zelda, SSB, Mario Kart or Pokemon getting over a million units. Especially when games like Metroid and F-Zero are currently about as successful as Coke Zero.

Kirby is pretty popular in Japan. A large chunk of its sales are in that country alone.

Aldric

Luigi's Mansion 2 is 10th best selling 3DS game at 5.31 million.

I'd be surprised if a new one isn't announced in 2018.

ls there any data about other 3DS games? l'd love to see where Kid Icarus: Uprising currently sits. Last numbers we got were a long time ago and l think it was around 1 200 000 copies. l doubt it's much higher now but l'd still like to know.

Rodin

Great numbers, wonder what the "Zelda steady decline/nobody cares anymore/stop living in the past" crowd will have to say to BotW surpassing SS in a month. Or when inevitably breaks 10m copies sold.

Robobot deserves way more success.

YOU ALL SLEPT ON THE BEST KIRBY GAME IN YEARS
I bought the limited

Indelible

Glad to see Robobot sell so well, best Kirby since Super Star. Not surprised at the Zelda sales, it was really the main reason to buy a Switch at launch.

Great numbers, wonder what the "Zelda steady decline/nobody cares anymore/stop living in the past crowd will have to say to BotW surpassing SS in a month. Or when inevitably breaks 10m copies sold.

They will bring a graph and say that BOTW was the exception, look at the general tendency, yada yada

10m seems A LOT though. Not sure it can reach that, but I sure would like it does.

oti

Banned
There is similar buzz during the wii u launch. I think some should keep their expectation's in check.

I mean, if Switch drops just like the Wii U despite Mario Kart, Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey... Nintendo might as well give up at that point.

There is similar buzz during the wii u launch. I think some should keep their expectation's in check.

You are joking, right?

Nobody cared about the WiiU, the awareness was low as fuck, people didn't even know if it was a new console.

No sorry, I missed the sarcasm.

Yes

But on the other hand I think a triple A Metroid FPA game, now in HD!, would sell way beyond that.

Nintendo just got to see the light on why the Wii was the wrong place for more of those and why sales slowed down.

You underestimate Kirby's popularity and Metroid's... lack of. One of these is only popular in one territory while the other is popular around the globe.

You underestimate Kirby's popularity and Metroid's... lack of. One of these is only popular in one territory while the other is popular around the globe.

Whilst Metroid has never been a huge seller (in relative terms), I think, with the right game and the right marketing it could become one. It's clearly a quality series and is the closet IP that Nintendo has to AAA games on the other consoles. It's not so different from Halo in terms of tone. I think a good multiplayer mode is the key here. Nintendo has the FPS chops now but Splatoon isn't for everyone, they can put that experience to use in Metroid MP, give dudebros something they can play online without feeling silly and bring back that "Goldeneye" local multiplayer feeling. All on the back of a typically fantastic single player experience (possibly running on a version of the BOTW engine).

Whilst Metroid has never been a huge seller (in relative terms), I think, with the right game and the right marketing it could become one. It's clearly a quality series and is the closet IP that Nintendo has to AAA games on the other consoles. It's not so different from Halo in terms of tone. I think a good multiplayer mode is the key here. Nintendo has the FPS chops now but Splatoon isn't for everyone, they can put that experience to use in Metroid MP, give dudebros something they can play online without feeling silly and bring back that "Goldeneye" local multiplayer feeling. All on the back of a typically fantastic single player experience (possibly running on a version of the BOTW engine).

I'd actually argue that Splatoon's succes is attributed to the fact that it is, indeed, for everyone. I love Metroid, I'd love a return, but I don't think it being multiplayer focused would even scratch the surface to generate interest in it.

Bruno MB

Very impressive The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sales. It had an even greater launch than The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

It has also surpassed by now The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, which had shipped 3.99 million units as of December 2014.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nintendo Switch - 2.76 million
Nintendo Wii U - 1.08 million

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Nintendo Wii - 2.47 million
GameCube < 1 million

Aldric

Maybe if Nintendo made actual Metroid games like they do with Kirby instead of bizarre experiments no one asked for Metroid would sell better?

The best I know is Celine's thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

wow, in the past year Luigi's Mansion has sold 500,000

Thx.

E-phonk

Banned

No there wasn't. There was hardly any buzz and enthousiasm, and it showed as Wii U sales took a deep decline after the first few launch weeks, while Switch keeps selling it's shipments week after week and consumers AND developers seem to be very excited about both the concept, the hardware and it's potential.

Switch is very likely to outsell the Wii U LTD in it's first year on the market.

Maybe if Nintendo made actual Metroid games like they do with Kirby instead of bizarre experiments no one asked for Metroid would sell better?

(3D) Metroid games cost a lot more to make though.

AmyS

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 3.84 (1.08 Wii U, 2.76 Switch)

Did my part :)

0AeFBOH.jpg

The Wii sold what, over 100 million? TP still didn't break 10 million. The GC was more popular than the WiiU too.

I'm not saying it's impossible or even very unlikely at this point, just that it's a really significant number for software sales. Especially since as the year goes on there will be other quality offerings on the system as well.

The dlc will help, they can also release a complete version down the line

Branduil

Really nice Zelda numbers. It should be able to double that lifetime I think. But 10 million is probably still a stretch. That'll need a lot of legs.

I think it can do it. It's important to remember that Zelda is still supply constrained- on the Wii U because nobody owns one, and on the Switch because few people own it yet. In that context these numbers are insane, because they look like normal frontloaded sales. But this obviously isn't a situation where a game is releasing on a console with 60 million plus sales and everyone who wants it can buy it immediately. BotW is going to keep selling for the lifetime of the Switch, and it will also get a nice holiday bump this year with the DLC. Obviously it won't keep its current ridiculous tie ratio, but it doesn't need to. If the Switch is at least a 3DS-level success, and that's looking quite possible, I think Zelda breaks 10 million units sold.

I'd actually argue that Splatoon's succes is attributed to the fact that it is, indeed, for everyone. I love Metroid, I'd love a return, but I don't think it being multiplayer focused would even scratch the surface to generate interest in it.

It really isn't for everyone. It sold well, in Japan particularly, but there the FIFA/COD crew are not going to play it in large numbers even if they do buy a Switch purely because of the aesthetics.

Personally, as an FPS, I found it to be pretty poor in any case but I recognise that my opinion is not shared by many.

oti

Banned
Wait what

what the fuck

Every time I see this it just baffles me. Like, how?! Who?

113 Million views? What the actual fuck!

Kids. They search for Mario or the YouTube algorithm takes them there from some toy or Skylanders video.

I've been saying this for a long time. Nintendo could make super easy money here if they decided to produce an entire official Nintendo Let's Play channel. That would mean war with all the Youtubers though.

E-phonk

Banned
I think it can do it. It's important to remember that Zelda is still supply constrained- on the Wii U because nobody owns one, and on the Switch because few people own it yet. In that context these numbers are insane, because they look like normal frontloaded sales. But this obviously isn't a situation where a game is releasing on a console with 60 million plus sales and everyone who wants it can buy it immediately.
While I agree that it can get there, the situation you are describing is EXACTLY like Twilight Princess - which was both on the sold-out Wii and the gamecube.

I'd say the DLC, the new open world gameplay and the way BotW seems to connect o todays social media audience is what gives it a higher potential, not the launch situation.

takriel

BotW deserves 10 million lifetime sales. Let's hope for the best! It might get a nice boost this Holiday if the story DLC pack is attractive enough.

Oersted

Kids. They search for Mario or the YouTube algorithm takes them there from some toy or Skylanders video.

I've been saying this for a long time. Nintendo could make super easy money here if they decided to produce an entire official Nintendo Let's Play channel. That would mean war with all the Youtubers though.

Wouldn't that just be Treehouse, just more of it?

rockyt

The thing is i know people who jusst bought zelda for the switch yesterday and are going to buy it on payday but dont even have the switch yet. Its kinda interesting seeing this happen in person.

Did my part :)

Part of me wants to pick up a Wii U copy for the hell of it, but another part of me does not want to spend $60 more on an inferior version I may never play when I already bought the most expensive version of the game, lol. I kind of want it for Cemu, some day years from now when I can actually afford a not-shit computer, but yeah, years away hahah. Probably won't get too many more copies printed either, all things considered... Ugh.

Top Bottom